Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: St. Lucy's Shelter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Outside St. Lucie's & around the corner, some years ago: Dummie

Posted on: 2016/11/21 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

It's the church/shelter on north side of Grove St. by the tunnel.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Lucys-Shelter/172519879609095

Posted on: 2016/11/21 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Any word on where the shelter will be relocated? The issue is that anywhere withing striking distinace of public transportation will also be going upscale in Jersey City or Hoboken. To a certain extent, the Salvation Army around the corner might be able to take up the slack.

What the Archdiocese should be doing in light of the explosion of growth in that neighborhood is:
1. Improve the programs at St. Lucy's Shelter;
2. Re-open St. Lucy's Church. The population within the geographic boundaries of St. Lucy's is poised to increase 10 x what it used to be. Of course, that won't happen because the Archidiocese is in liquidation mode.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Development boom may force relocation of St. Lucy’s homeless shelter in Jersey City

HUDSON REPORTER - Nov 17, 2016
JERSEY CITY – Officials have confirmed that St. Lucy’s Homeless Shelter on Grove Street in Jersey City will relocate and its current site resold.

“There are discussions to close and sell St. Lucy’s and relocate the shelter and offices to another site,” said Jersey City Freeholder Bill O’Dea. “But it has not been finalized because the new location is not finalized.”

Located a few blocks from the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, St. Lucy’s is currently located in an area that is seeing dramatic redevelopment. New upscale developments have been and continue to be constructed on nearby Jersey Avenue, and there are proposed plans for a number of properties near to where the shelter is located.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Delicious dinner, desserts, or the gift of time
Where to get and give thanksgiving treats

By: Madeline Friedman,
Jersey Reporter - Current
11/14/2007

A number of restaurants in Hudson County are offering their takes on Thanksgiving fare, from the traditional to the non-traditional.

Thanksgiving is a time to gather with family and friends and...eat.

But even though tradition dictates it, sometimes you just don't want to traipse all the way over the river and through the woods for a turkey dinner. And sometimes even the best cooks just don't feel like preparing a four-course meal.

So for those who want to spend a non-traditional turkey day with takeout at home, or in a restaurant away from home, The Current has come up with some good alternatives for Thanksgiving night.

Tastes like homemade

A number of restaurants in Hudson County are offering their takes on Thanksgiving fare, from the traditional to the non-traditional.

For typical Thanksgiving fare, Amanda's on Washington Street in Hoboken and Harbor Bar and Brasserie in Weehawken will serve turkey as well as other continental cuisine options.

Advertisement

And the Malibu Diner in Hoboken will have a full turkey dinner served all turkey day long.

In Secaucus, La Reggia will have a Thanksgiving buffet in addition to its famous Italian food.

For Thanksgiving fare with flair, two Jersey City restaurants are offering interesting options.

Soul Flavors is serving "we make it, you take it" Thanksgiving dinners, featuring the restaurant's signature soul food dishes as well as other traditional options. Orders are for a minimum of six people, and there are three different menus available.

LITM's seasonal pumpkin menu is available all month, and it includes fried pumpkin, pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin risotto, pan-seared pumpkin & grilled shrimp, and pumpkin creme brulee.

And for a turkey day pre-party, Teak on the Hudson is offering drink and food specials all night on Nov. 21.

More than just pumpkin pie

Thanksgiving is a day to gorge on the savory and the sweet, and Ganache in Hoboken is offering both, with prepared Thanksgiving meals courtesy of the Secret Chef (www.thesecretchefllc.com), along with the coffee shop's famous cupcakes, cookies and other desserts. Be sure to order by Nov. 19.

If you are going as a guest to a meal, Ganache, as well as Hoboken's classic Italian bakeries - Carlo's Bakery and Giorgio's - have a wide selection of cookies, cannolis and cakes, as well as seasonal pies.

The true spirit of giving

For those who want to get out and live the true sense of Thanksgiving, the best way is to give to others. Shelters are overwhelmed with volunteers on the actual Thanksgiving day, but why not volunteer the day before, or after?

Most places are also accepting food, clothing and monetary donations. With three of the county's biggest shelters nearby, it's hard not to stop in with a donation at The Hoboken Homeless shelter, PERC in Union City, or St. Lucy's in Jersey City.

DINING:

Amanda's - 908 Washington St., Hoboken, (201) 798-0101
Harbor Bar - 500 Harbor Blvd., Weehawken,(201) 348-4444

La Reggia - 40 Wood Ave. Secaucus, (201) 422-0200

LITM - 140 Newark Ave., Jersey City, (201) 536-5557

Malibu Diner - 257 14th St., Hoboken, (201) 656-1595

The Secret Chef - www.thesecretcefllc.com, (201) 978-0455

Soul Flavors - 354 Grove St. Jersey City, (201) 217-3004

Teak on the Hudson - 16-18 Hudson Pl., Hoboken, (201) 653-6888

DESSERTS:

Carlo's Bakery - 95 Washington St., Hoboken, (201) 659-3671

Ganache - 1500 Washington Street, Hoboken, (201) 792-2003

Giorgio Pasticceria Italiana - 1112 Washington St, Hoboken, (201) 792-3535

Where to help out

Many shelters are overwhelmed with volunteers on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but they are in dire need of volunteers every other day of the year.

All are accepting donations of food, funds and other supplies on Thanksgiving Day, and some may still need volunteers. Call first.

The Hoboken Homeless Shelter located at 300 Bloomfield St. will be open serving meals from 10 a.m. on. For information on how to help, call: (201) 656-5069.

Palisades Emergency Residence Corporation (PERC) located at 108 36th St. in Union City will serve Thanksgiving dinner from 5 to 7 p.m.. For information, call (201) 348-8150.

St. Lucy's Shelter is located at 619 Grove St. in Jersey City. For volunteer information, call: (201) 656-7201

Posted on: 2007/11/15 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Sal,
What a pretentious hipster response to people in the community that want to do something positive. I remember why I laugh at this site too, b/c of self richeous idiots like yourself.

Yeah, the holidays are comming up, and people want to help out ones less fortunate than themselves. I'd love to hear all the ways that you help out the homeless all year round?

Get over yourself.

Posted on: 2007/11/15 5:41
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Hey sal you know whats really funny,watching some guy pull up to st lucys with his two kids in the car and going in to get a bag of grocerys.The kids don't know nor care,their hungry.

The same guy goes around the corner at christmas to the salvation army and gets some presents for the kids,the kids don't care they want toys.

As for the homeless peeing in the park,if i see it i yell at them and you know what they recognize me from the shelter so they tend to listen.If your treated like an animal you tend to act like one.

There are plenty of a$$holes at the shelter just like everywhere else but there are also a lot of talented people who just caught a bad break.

The way i look at it is that one or two things different in my life could have lead me there myself.

Sal, just so you don't think i am just some bleeding heart from downtown i will leave you with a jersey city salute,
"Go #OOPS# Yourself"

Posted on: 2007/11/14 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
So, Sal, just because you don't want homeless people peeing on your stoop, that means you want them to starve? You didn't read the post that said, "It is not just the homeless that get there food there,a lot of borderline families depend on their help." If I don't want to watch the homeless guy poo-ing behind my house, that means I want these "borderline families" to starve?

Yup, funny.

And it's true that it's sad that people remember the homeless during the holidays, and don't donate/volunteer the rest of the year, but I still believe it's better that some people donate some of the time, rather than none of the time.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 3:12
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 2:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is hilarious, for the next 2 months people will be donating food and gifts to the homeless and underpriviledged. Then when the weather starts to get warmer these same people will be complaining about them being on their front stoops and hanging out in their neighborhoods. This is priceless. Now i remember why i read this forum, for the comedic value.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Next week is very big on the calender in all shelters county wide.A group i work with gives St lucys 15 turkeys with all the fixens for thanksgiving and they really do appreciate it.
It is not just the homeless that get there food there,a lot of borderline families depend on their help.Canned goods in small quantities don't help because you can't serve a large group but a case of canned goods is best.
Bank it in your Karma account and bring them a case of Food.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 2:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/14 2:06
From 2nd Floor on Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I used to work at a shelter for a few years, so I would just STRONGLY recommend that you call the shelter program first before showing up with food or donation items. People used to show up at our door with more food than we could refrigerate/store/give out. So, be mindful and doublecheck with St. Lucy's first, in order to be most helpful.
But great thinking! I love that my fellow JC-ites are so great!

Posted on: 2007/11/14 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info. I know people have inquired here before about places to donate/volunteer, especially around the holidays.

Would you mind posting address or location info when you get a minute?

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2007/11/14 0:39
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

St. Lucy's Shelter
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/24 18:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hello
My church had alot of leftover food from our annual Thanksgiving day dinner and the pastor wanted the food to go to the shelter. So in the car we go with tray upon tray of delicious food. We went down to the shelter and pulled in towards the back. they had the doors open and we popped in. The volunteers/workers who were there were so grateful for the donation. We even had a gallon of milk to give to them and they were so happy becasue just that very morning there was no milk for the coffee.

While in the kitchen I noticed that their fridge was empty!! These poor (literally) people had nothing to give out the next day. My heart just broke.

I was telling this story to my sister and she asked me if there werent government programs available to help the shelters. I answered that there probably were programs, but that the need is so great that sometimes even with grants/programs/donations people still go hungry.

So my purpose of this post was not to boast about what my church did, but to ask if you have leftover food from an office party/holiday party to please consider bringing it down to St. Lucy's shelter. Even a gallon of milk is appreciated.

That night on the way home I felt so blessed to have the things that I do have. Im not rich...way far from it. but im blessed to have a home, a putput of a car and a job.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 19:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017