Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Earl Morgan's Corner - Jersey Journal: Their $140G bought them nothing?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/4 11:11
Group:
Registered Users
Everybody here knows how Joe Panepinto buys every single politician he can. How do you think he has gotten all the permits and zoning making worthless property valuable. THey even gave him some of the hudson river to build on. And now Robert Torricelli is his "partner" in a couple of projects. I guess no more paper bags for Bob. No real estate developer in history has had a town greased like Joe and J.C. Look it up, his 2 year old grandson gave the max to everybody running in NJ last year. (and thats whats declared) I'm sure menendez will be a partner too when he is out of office. and the "mayor"[quote]

Posted on: 2007/11/18 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I think it is believable when a politician has a record of consistently voting in a way that inspires people to give money when they have no hope of influencing his policies. That's why I have contributed to the Ron Paul presidential campaign.

In Healy's case maybe because of his generally pro-development policies some people would chip in some money but $140K is an unbelievable amount of money to give and not expect to get anything back. The fact that the letter went to great pains to list the donors also indicates they expect something (and of course the fact that they are local developers). Nevertheless, I wouldn't put all the blame on "special interests" corrupting politicians. For example, Charlie Schumer blatantly shook down hedge fund and private equity firms earlier in the year and, after getting their money, is now working against changing the tax treatment of their profits. They were happy with the status quo but he used the threat of changing it to get money.

It's also ironic that an individual can only donate $2,300 to a presidential candidate but can donate (or engineer) $140K to a mayoral election.

Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
Mayor Healy has declared on several occasions that campaign contributions have no bearing on any decisions he makes concerning Jersey City.

I think at some time in his career, every politician on Earth has made this claim. Perhaps 2% of them might be believed?

Posted on: 2007/11/15 4:23

Re: Their $140G to Healy Bought Them Nothing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
My dog started breathing heavy in the house today, then squirted liquid poop outta his butt for a good 30 secs.

Posted on: 2007/11/11 7:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Healy is full of siht

Vote FAT-ASS-BIKE for MAYOR

Posted on: 2007/11/10 13:55
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/1 23:52
Group:
Registered Users
On May 1, 2006, Jose Arango, Chairman of the Hudson County Republican Committee, made a $1500 donation to the Healy For Mayor 2009 campaign.

http://www.speaknj.com/Jan%2016,%202007.pdf
page 50

Arango is employed by the City of JC, Healy Administration.

Quote:
buys them no influence

OK, if you say so.

Posted on: 2007/11/10 13:48

Their $140G to Healy Bought Them Nothing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Their $140G bought them nothing?

By Earl Morgan

November 06, 2007

A letter to Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, dated March 17, 2005, begins, "Dear Mayor Healy: I am pleased to enclose the following contributions to the Healy Team," and goes on to list by name, check number and amount contributions totaling $140,000 for the mayor's campaign war chest.

The letter was written by Jersey City real estate developer Joseph Panepinto and faxed to the Rev. Francis Schiller, developer and the chief legal eagle for Jersey City real estate interests, to be presented to his honor at a breakfast meeting.

Mayor Healy has declared on several occasions that campaign contributions have no bearing on any decisions he makes concerning Jersey City.

In fact, when I called the Mayor's Office for a comment on the list of big-time developers mentioned in this letter, a spokesman for Healy relayed this message: "No decision regarding the city of Jersey City, while I was a councilman-at-large or mayor, has been influenced in the slightest by campaign contributions or the lack of them. My only criteria has been what's good for the people of Jersey City."

It would be nice to take the mayor at his word, but considering all the talk coming out of Washington about how special interest money is influencing political decisions, the mayor's comments would appear to make Jersey City an anomaly, the only place in the nation where campaign money doesn't matter.

Given the sordid political history of Jersey City and Hudson County, that strains credulity.

The memo marks Panepinto as the fund-raiser for 12 $5,000 checks and others that range in amount from $600 to $2,500.

Schiller is credited as the fund-raiser for three $10,000 checks, including one from his own law firm's political action committee, and others for other amounts. Developer Joe Barry is named as the fund-raiser for three contributions totaling $20,000.

The memo goes on to detail contributions raised by Panepinto and directly submitted to the Mayor's Office, including $5,000 each from developer Dean Geibel and attorney Rudy Garcia.

The memo also claims another $15,000 raised by Panepinto was given directly to former Jersey City Housing, Economic Development and Commerce Director Jack Beirne. (The director of HEDC directly handling campaign money? It's one of those things that make you go "hmmm.")

A notation on the memo says the checks handed over to Beirne were payable to the Jersey City Democratic Party.

Lastly, the memo assures the mayor that additional sums of $5,000 from former U.S. Congressman Frank J. Guarini and attorney Peter G. Sheridan "will be forthcoming."

I'm sure the $140,000 tally of campaign money made the mayor's bacon and eggs during breakfast with Schiller taste better.

The mayor says this money flowing into his campaign coffers from Jersey City's most prominent lawyers and developers buys them no influence in his decisions involving tax exemptions. Well, we report, you decide.

Copyright 2007 The Jersey Journal. Used with permission.

Posted on: 2007/11/10 12:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
the lawyers advice you to say this. Additionally... the fbi follows up on people/buisiness that contribute money to a polititian. We have a standard clause we say. No I was in no way forced to contribute and I did not feel my contract was threatened in anyway if I had not tributed.

Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:

I think at some time in his career, every politician on Earth has made this claim. Perhaps 2% of them might be believed?

Posted on: 2007/11/6 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Bravo Earl Morgan! I commend Earl for reporting facts that no one is brave enough to report to the general public of Jersey City. If more people got involved and questioned Jersey City administration maybe it would be a better place to live for the working lower middle class.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Posted on: 2007/11/6 12:13

Earl Morgan's Corner - Jersey Journal: Their $140G bought them nothing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Their $140G bought them nothing?

Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Earl Morgan's Corner
Jersey Journal

A letter to Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, dated March 17, 2005, begins, "Dear Mayor Healy: I am pleased to enclose the following contributions to the Healy Team," and goes on to list by name, check number and amount contributions totaling $140,000 for the mayor's campaign war chest.

The letter was written by Jersey City real estate developer Joseph Panepinto and faxed to the Rev. Francis Schiller, developer and the chief legal eagle for Jersey City real estate interests, to be presented to his honor at a breakfast meeting.

In fact, when I called the Mayor's Office for a comment on the list of big-time developers mentioned in this letter, a spokesman for Healy relayed this message: "No decision regarding the city of Jersey City, while I was a councilman-at-large or mayor, has been influenced in the slightest by campaign contributions or the lack of them. My only criteria has been what's good for the people of Jersey City."

It would be nice to take the mayor at his word, but considering all the talk coming out of Washington about how special interest money is influencing political decisions, the mayor's comments would appear to make Jersey City an anomaly, the only place in the nation where campaign money doesn't matter.

Given the sordid political history of Jersey City and Hudson County, that strains credulity.

The memo marks Panepinto as the fund-raiser for 12 $5,000 checks and others that range in amount from $600 to $2,500.

Schiller is credited as the fund-raiser for three $10,000 checks, including one from his own law firm's political action committee, and others for other amounts. Developer Joe Barry is named as the fund-raiser for three contributions totaling $20,000.

The memo goes on to detail contributions raised by Panepinto and directly submitted to the Mayor's Office, including $5,000 each from developer Dean Geibel and attorney Rudy Garcia.

The memo also claims another $15,000 raised by Panepinto was given directly to former Jersey City Housing, Economic Development and Commerce Director Jack Beirne. (The director of HEDC directly handling campaign money? It's one of those things that make you go "hmmm.")

A notation on the memo says the checks handed over to Beirne were payable to the Jersey City Democratic Party.

Lastly, the memo assures the mayor that additional sums of $5,000 from former U.S. Congressman Frank J. Guarini and attorney Peter G. Sheridan "will be forthcoming."

I'm sure the $140,000 tally of campaign money made the mayor's bacon and eggs during breakfast with Schiller taste better.

The mayor says this money flowing into his campaign coffers from Jersey City's most prominent lawyers and developers buys them no influence in his decisions involving tax exemptions. Well, we report, you decide.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 10:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017