Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 17 »

Comcast Digital Flickering

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/25 21:42
From Brooklyn
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, long time no post. I just had Comcast Digital basic cable installed and I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue I'm having before I call them about it.

Each time I change channels, the image flickers twice before completely displaying the new channel. It's not just a minor flicker, it goes completely blank twice, and sometimes 3 times, for a few fractions of a second.

When they installed it they said, that's normal, it's digital. I was skeptical then and I get more skeptical as time goes by.

My friend has Time Warner in NY and when she changes channels there is a very minor flicker, you wouldn't even notice it unless you were looking for it.

I want to call them and tell them I'm pretty sure this is not right, but I don't want to be a curmudgeon. I just think I've had digital back in the day as well and didn't see anything like this.

So does this happen for everybody else? You couldn't possibly miss it if it happens to you.

Thanks a bunch....

Posted on: 2008/11/20 16:52

Re: Who here really, really hates Comcast?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Mikey,

My neighbor took a package that she was told included BLAST. When the first bill came there was an extra $10 fee for the BLAST (temporary extra internet speed.)

She told them where to stick BLAST!

Posted on: 2008/11/6 14:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I wrote them an email complaining this what they sent...
"At this present time, we are limited with the number of HD offering we currently provide. This is based off of the contracts agreements that we have with the channels that offer a high definition signal. This does not mean that we are not trying to obtain contracts with channels we currently do not provide because we are always looking for ways to improve our variety of programming. We ask that you please give us an opportunity to make enhancements to our level of service. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your suggestion and appreciate your patience"

So basically they are too cheap to shell out money to get agreements signed, and here I was thinking it was some kind of HD bandwidth limitation..nice.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 3:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I don't watch sports which takes away most of the HD channels, the network HD stations I am not even counting since they can be pulled from the air for free, and premiums well you only get those if you subscribe....so aftet that Comcast only has a handful of HD stations, ridiculous.

My G/F in Brooklyn gets a significant more amount of HD with Time Warner.

Comcast brags about HD in relation to their on demand content which I can't even get in the first place because of my MediaCenter Cablecard setup.

Comcast quarterly earnings were up 38%, too bad they don't put any of that money towards their infrastructure and more into researching ways to rape their customers.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 2:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/14 13:52
Group:
Registered Users
All joking aside, it really is a joke that we have 20 HD stations. Has anyone recently called to inquire of the addition of new HD stations? I called back in July. 1 addition every 6 months is not gonna cut it.

Unfortunately my building does not allow any sort of dish. I bought two HD tvs this year, and can't even enjoy the benefits.

Posted on: 2008/11/5 21:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/7 17:24
Group:
Banned
I sure don't like their employees! The a#*hole that came for the routine installation of my internet asked if he could use my bathroom. I was willing to let him use the bathroom, and after my cable was installed, I tipped him $10. It was only later when my wife went into the bathroom and said "WHAT HAPPENED IN HERE!?" did I realize what kind of people this company hires. The douchebag had pissed all over the place! All over the seat, and all over the floor! I TIPPED HIM $10 SO I COULD CLEAN UP HIS MASTERPIECE! Needless to say, I was livid. No good deed ever goes unpunished!

Posted on: 2008/11/5 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SLyng wrote:
I don't *hate* comcast, but i would like to know when we'll be getting better/more HD channels? For instance my sister in VA (also a Comcast subscriber) gets a TON more HD channels than I do. Here's a partial list:

-Science Channel HD
-FX HD
-CNN HD
-FoxNews HD
-USA HD
-Sci-Fi HD
-History HD
-TLC HD

Not saying I would watch all of the above, but it would be nice to have the option.

Just came across this article earlier today. Comcast offers, by far, the least amount of HD channels compared to other TV service providers. At this point the two satellite companies are the clear cut winners for offering HD content.

http://www.cnet.com/1990-7874_1-5108854-5.html?tag=hdtv;hdtv_l

Posted on: 2008/11/5 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, god... I simply LOATHE Comcast. So much for having a choice in cable providers.

Posted on: 2008/11/5 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Has anyone else recieved some thing about being charged $10 extra a month for "Blast" ???

The letter said I've been getting "Blast" and haven't been charged extra for it and not I will start being charged. Sounds fishy to me. And even if this is a real service, I don't think I need "Blast"

I assume you are talking about internet service? I have the 'Performance' service and have tested speeds of close to 12 Mbps down which is certainly more than enough for me.

Sorry. Yes, internet service.
Performance huh? Sounds good to me.

Posted on: 2008/11/4 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The basis lineup is getting smaller all the time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
FCC to probe pricing policies of cable, Verizon

By DEBORAH YAO, AP Business Writer

PHILADELPHIA ? The Federal Communications Commission has opened an investigation into the pricing policies of major cable operators and Verizon Communications Inc.

Cable companies the agency plans to look into include Comcast Corp., Time Warner Cable Inc., Cox Communications Inc., Charter Communications Inc., Cablevision Systems Corp., Bright House Networks, Suddenlink Communications, Bend Cable Communications, GCI Company, Harron Entertainment and RCN Corp., according to a letter the agency sent pay-TV operators Oct. 30.

At issue is the companies' practice of moving analog channels into digital tiers to free up bandwidth for other uses, such as high-definition channels. Analog customers will have to rent a digital set-top box from the operator or buy the digital TV plan to watch those channels.

Verizon offers services that compete cable company offerings.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081104/a ... bi_ge/cable_pricing_fcc_2

Posted on: 2008/11/4 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Has anyone else recieved some thing about being charged $10 extra a month for "Blast" ???

The letter said I've been getting "Blast" and haven't been charged extra for it and not I will start being charged. Sounds fishy to me. And even if this is a real service, I don't think I need "Blast"

I assume you are talking about internet service? I have the 'Performance' service and have tested speeds of close to 12 Mbps down which is certainly more than enough for me.

Posted on: 2008/11/4 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/11/4 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Switch if you have the option.

Therein lies the problem... I would have switched 3yrs ago if it weren't for my building's rules. Heck I would have done it for the NFL Sunday Ticket alone!

Posted on: 2008/11/4 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SLyng wrote:
I don't *hate* comcast, but i would like to know when we'll be getting better/more HD channels? For instance my sister in VA (also a Comcast subscriber) gets a TON more HD channels than I do. Here's a partial list:

-Science Channel HD
-FX HD
-CNN HD
-FoxNews HD
-USA HD
-Sci-Fi HD
-History HD
-TLC HD

Not saying I would watch all of the above, but it would be nice to have the option.

I have comcast HD and it sucks not being able to watch today's Fox election coverage in HD, I want to see the expression on their faces when the results come in!

Posted on: 2008/11/4 18:54
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SLyng wrote:

-Science Channel HD
-FX HD
-CNN HD
-FoxNews HD
-USA HD
-Sci-Fi HD
-History HD
-TLC HD

Directv has offered all of those in HD (and more) for over a year now. Switch if you have the option.

Posted on: 2008/11/4 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users

-Science Channel HD
-FX HD
-CNN HD
-FoxNews HD
-USA HD
-Sci-Fi HD
-History HD
-TLC HD

Posted on: 2008/11/4 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
I don't post too often in the forums (I'm a lurker).
I've been a resident of JC for 12 years and after many emails and complaints to Comcast about their lack of foreign language channels. I switched to Dish Network.
I have written several letters to Comcast over the years and never recieved a response. So if you can switch your business to another provider then do so, maybe they'll pay attention.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 23:13

Re: BY DEC. 15 Comcast to offer wideband service in Jersey City first - next generation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
An interesting view on Comcast's bandwidth cap...

Comcast's play for high-speed service
Commentary: Something is fishy about its broadband access ploys
By John C. Dvorak

BERKELEY, Calif. (MarketWatch) -- Comcast Corp. has introduced newer, faster Internet-access services, including a 50 Mbps offering that pretty much stretches to the limit the capability of the cable-TV infrastructure - at least for now. But even this speed is more bandwidth than anyone can use. There are few sites people visit or download from that will actually deliver anything close to that.

Residential services
Extreme 50 (50 Mbps upload/ 10 Mbps download) at $139.95/month
Ultra (22/5 Mbps up/down) at $62.95/month
Performance Plus (16/2 Mbps up/down) at $52.95/month
Performance (12/2 Mbps up/down) at $42.95/month

Business services
Deluxe 50 (50/10 Mbps up/down) at $189.95/month
Premium (22/5 Mbps up/down) at $99.95/month
Starter (12/2 Mbps up/down) at variable introductory prices.

In today's world, this 50/10 speed is something of a gimmick under normal circumstances. That is, unless, Comcast is going to start some new services itself that will require this kind of outrageous speed. This means downloadable or streaming movies of the sort provided by Netflix Inc. with its new offerings. Comcast is well positioned to offer new services like this to its customers once it figures out how to work out a download "cap" that will prevent its users from using anyone else's services -- at least for now.

A few months back, Comcast announced that it would impose a monthly 250 GB usage limit on its users. I personally think this is a lot of usage, but I don't know for a fact since Comcast doesn't actually tell its users how many bits they use a month.

This in itself makes the whole usage cap seem fishy to me. Something is up.

Hogs
They idea, they say, is to get rid of abusive users who do nothing more than download movies and trade files all day and night. Since the connections are shared by large numbers of people, the performance can be adversely affected by some of these bandwidth hogs. But it seems like no coincidence that Comcast just instituted this policy as Netflix was coming online with its various download-and-play and streaming initiatives to sell movies over the net. This is a business -- delivering movies -- that Comcast is in too with the cable-TV business. So I think the strategy is to create this cap that keeps competitors temporarily away from Comcast customers when it comes to delivering video content. In the meantime, Comcast can study the business model for delivering movies over the Internet itself. In other words, I think the reasons for the cap are to keep the Netflix scheme and others at bay temporarily. Netflix or any other content provider then won't have gained much market share.

DSL service
So I'm thinking that the 250 GB cap is just temporary. Right now, Comcast has done the best job of ramping up universal high-speed services, especially when compared to the phone company and its failure to advance the state of DSL services. The only real competitors for Comcast are local fiber-optic lash-ups that tend to be restricted to new housing developments. The only cloud on the Comcast horizon might be continued efforts to deliver high-speed Internet access via wireless schemes such as the Sprint Xohm product. This has the potential to be a winner too.
For now, the picture is rosy for Comcast and the rest of the cable companies that deliver a quality high-speed Internet connection at a reasonable price. But look for all of them to go aggressively into selling movies over the Internet in the next year or two. End of Story

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story ... roadband/story.aspx?guid={AC502994-6345-478B-8168-77F8C2BCC550}&dist=msr_1

Posted on: 2008/11/3 21:45
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Re: BY DEC. 15 Comcast to offer wideband service in Jersey City first - next generation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I can't wait to watch Comcast's market share in JC shrink to a shell of what it is now. Those terrible customer service rep's are gonna be crying all the way to the unemployment office and it will be there own doing.
It took them 3 times to get me the right cable box! And for the life of me they won't believe that a only use a cell phone and don't need their crappy phone service.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 17:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/7 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget the ridiculous price for this DOCSIS3 service... $139/month. Same bandwidth cap in place.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The bandwidth thing is smoke and mirrors for most of us. Am I the only one who thinks that paying $80/month for ctv & broadband is way too much? When are these clowns going to compete on price? Oh wait, we were recently reminded that this is NOT a free market economy!

This stuff is data that comes over a damn wire or glass fiber, not mined or manufactured. Most of the cable content is paid for with commercials not fees. This business is insanely profitable, as anyone who watches the antics of Dolan clan can attest, yet none of the providers will actually compete on price. It's disgusting.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Comcast gets exceedingly tiresome with these made-up advances.
My fave is advertising how wonderful the channel is that lets you preview GM cars, 24 hours a day seven days a week. What a selling point, an endless commercial!

Comcast is a lot of hot air...when you get right down to it they are penny pinching misers who give you very little for your money but LOTS of commercials about how great they are.

Quote:
Verizon needs to hurry up with the FiOS

AMEN to that.

(The Comcast "article" should be followed with the three letters: adv.)

Posted on: 2008/10/23 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Good, so we can hit their monthly cap even faster. Perfect. Verizon needs to hurry up with the FiOS.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 13:31

BY DEC. 15 Comcast to offer wideband service in Jersey City first - next generation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
BY DEC. 15 - Comcast to offer wideband service in Jersey City first

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Jersey City will be among the first communities served by Comcast Cable TV that will offer the next generation Internet high-speed connection that will take customers from broadband to wideband. The city can expect faster Internet speeds - including downloads and uploads - to be available by Dec. 15, according to Comcast spokesman Fred DeAndrea.

These services will be available for most other Comcast customers in the state during the second quarter of next year. Using new fiber-optic technology, Comcast officials claim they will be able "to double speeds for the majority of existing high-speed Internet customers at no additional cost."

More information on services and additional wideband plans can be found on the Internet site www.comcast.com/fastestfast.

Journal staff

Posted on: 2008/10/23 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The bandwidth cap is a temporary measure that is unlikely to last very long. With FiOS penetrating ever deeper into Comcast territory -- already available at some downtown addresses -- Comcast will have no choice but to lift their caps or risk losing their customers.

Also, you can thank the local municipal government for granting Comcast a monopoly on cable services.

Posted on: 2008/9/28 4:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
According to some site I found, the Netflix Roku box streams at four bitrates 500kb/sec., 1 MB/sec., 1.6 MB/sec., and 2.2 MB/per sec.

So unless my math is off (which is most likely is) that works out to about 16-30 movies per month (based on 3-4 star quality which I usually get). I typically watch 1-2 movies on a slow day... so my bandwidth is long gone before I even do anything else... like Pandora, Flickr, Itunes, etc...

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/9/28 1:45
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
This 250GB/month limit is pretty shocking. I can't believe we have no other choice of ISP.

What really gets me is that Newport is one of the most well-connected neighborhoods in the US. You could get a 1Gb link to the internet for $1k/month 5 years ago. And yet we are so close and have virtually no options. I see Verizon running fiber for FIOS, but yet they still say the end of 2009 - which probably means mid-2011.

I love Comcast's deceptiveness in calling a movie 2GB.

Before they announced the cap, I did something that would have violated the limit. I backed up every digital picture in my collection over the internet. Since I'm the photographer, I own the copyright. So there goes the argument that you need to violate someone's copyright to exceed 250GB/month. There also goes the argument that you need to do something unreasonable to exceed 250GB/month. That was 250GB in less than a day.

We're back at the level of internet service that we had in 1997. Other countries have been improving their infrastructure since then. We're down to under one Mb/s.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Comcast High-Speed Internet -- Update to Acceptable Use Policy

Fri 9/26/08 3:41 PM

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer,

We appreciate your business and strive to provide you with the best online experience possible. One of the ways we do this is through our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). The AUP outlines acceptable use of our service as well as steps we take to protect our customers from things that can negatively impact their experience online. This policy has been in place for many years and we update it periodically to keep it current with our customers' use of our service.

On October 1, 2008, we will post an updated AUP that will go into effect at that time.

In the updated AUP, we clarify that monthly data (or bandwidth) usage of more than 250 Gigabytes (GB) is the specific threshold that defines excessive use of our service. We have an excessive use policy because a fraction of one percent of our customers use such a disproportionate amount of bandwidth every month that they may degrade the online experience of other customers.

250 GB/month is an extremely large amount of bandwidth and it's very likely that your monthly data usage doesn't even come close to that amount. In fact, the threshold is approximately 100 times greater than the typical or median residential customer usage, which is 2 to 3 GB/month. To put it in perspective, to reach 250 GB of data usage in one month a customer would have to do any one of the following:

* Send more than 50 million plain text emails (at 5 KB/email);
* Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song); or
* Download 125 standard definition movies (at 2 GB/movie).

And online gamers should know that even the heaviest multi- or single-player gaming activity would not typically come close to this threshold over the course of a month.

In addition to modifying the excessive use policy, the updated AUP contains other clarifications of terms concerning reporting violations, newsgroups, and network management. To read some helpful FAQs, please visit Comcast Network Management Policy

Thank you again for choosing Comcast as your high-speed Internet provider.

Posted on: 2008/9/26 20:51
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
250 GB is a tremendous amount of data and will not affect the average user. Unless you are someone that downloads or streams HD video all day long it will not be an issue.

Streaming video is the future of the internet, so yeah, its serious problem for customers. I for one consume half to three quarters of television programming from the internet, obtained legally through sites like ABC.com, Hulu.com, Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes. These are not obscure, illegal, fringe websites.

Moreover, Comcast is making no provisions for customers to monitor their usage, other than a reprimand by telephone after the customer has already gone over their allotted usage.

Verizon cannot lay Fiber fast enough.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 20:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SLyng wrote:
Quote:

nikyrob wrote:
Disgruntled with Comcast & attempting to switch over to Verizon...

Does anyone know if Verizon DSL internet is actually available in downtown Jersey City? We're trying to get it connected but have been having problems. I'm not sure if it's that our building hasn't been wired correctly or if it's not available in the neighborhood yet at all? Their customer service people have been useless.

Are Comcast or Verizon the only options for internet around here? :(

Thanks for any tips.

We had a problem getting DSL. I think it was because we didn't have a verizon phone line installed at the time. They claimed we could use a "dry loop" without having a local/long-distance service and still get DSL, but it never worked out. They sent a guy out to check on it, but he never showed up, I got frustrated, and just went with comcast.

Verizon DSL is available in the area though. You can check here: http://www22.verizon.com/content/ConsumerDSL

Thanks for sharing - I think I'm in the same situation. I wish I could get a straight answer out of them. Looks like I may be stuck with Comcast - bleh! Thinking I'll give Verizon another week to get their act together...

Posted on: 2008/9/3 20:28
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 17 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password: