Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Re: ox restaurant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jac426 wrote:
It is sad that the arrival of a vital new place like OX on the strip of 99 cent stores only inspires a conversation about "playdates'.

Please move to Montclair, you playdate seeking people.

We're trying to build a city, not a suburb,

Here Here

Posted on: 2007/12/16 6:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alb wrote:

One solution for Ox, when it comes to attracting people like me, would be to add one or two bistro food kinds of dishes.

i also thought the prices were a little high - and as it was late at night (after 10pm) i didnt want to eat too much. My friend and i both got an appetizer and split the scallops and it was just right. That and two beers and the bill came to $25 a head. Not bad.

It's a nice place and the service was very attentive. I'll go again.

Posted on: 2007/12/16 6:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/1 22:45
Group:
Registered Users
Although we all have our differnt opinions about the particulars of OX; I do believe the majority of us here welcome OX and are very happy to have it in the neighboorhood. It is a definite improvement for Newark Ave.!

Posted on: 2007/12/9 11:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/20 5:33
Group:
Banned
We love you Alb. It's just that your vision of a successful restaurant being a cheap place where you can get organic food for your child with plenty of space for your stroller and with a playroom for children and a massage therapist for tired parents is way off base. Ridiculous, I think is more the word. OX is here to stay though. Enough with the passive/aggressive "Well wishes". Try the Pork Belly. Very good.

Posted on: 2007/12/9 6:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alb wrote:
- I should go move to Montclair. (But do you really want someone like me moving around suburban New Jersey . . . behind the wheel of . . . A CAR? Be careful what you wish for.)

Don't ever leave us, Alb.

I'm not gonna lie. I don't understand what you are talking about most of the time. But you have a passion for quality of life in JC that is admirable! It's refreshing to read, especially amidst all the nonsense and arguing and bashing on various threads.

And you're funny, to boot!

Posted on: 2007/12/9 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:
by justjoe on 2007/12/7 21:11:41

Some of the dishes at "It's Greek To Me," corner of Newark and Jersey, less than 3 minute walk up the block from OX, satisfies some of those issues.

Thanks for that suggestion. I definitely do use IGTM and find it to be a really useful restaurant to have around. The menu isn't exactly what I want, and the price is a little high for what you get (which, I understand has to do with the high cost of doing business around here, not with any desire by the IGTM people to be expensive), and at least you can call up and get good, clean broiled chicken strips with french fries.

To everyone else: I'm trying to sit on my hands and not reply to all of the responses to my post, because the Webmaster kindly pointed out that I was sending this thread off track.

The bottom line is:

- The people who started OX are wonderful, creative food artists who have created a nice restaurant and deserve community support. I hope everyone here who either has no children or has an evening babysitter available will go there and eat and drink a lot (with whatever money they have left over from supporting Madame Claude's, Basic, Marco & Pepe, etc.).

- To the extent that I've talked to OX-connected people and been positive: I haven't been trying to be two-faced. I really want you to succeed. Really. If I in any posts here seemed to imply that I oppose you starting your restaurant, or aiming at whatever niche you want to aim at, that was due to bad writing, not to me seriously thinking that you have to run a particular kind of restaurant or run it in a particular way.

- I do think there are still some obvious holes in the restaurant choices on the Newark, and I do selfishly wish that there was a restaurant that could better fit my need for a Basic-type dinner restaurant without me having to walk all the way to Basic when I'm tired. And I guess I subconsciously somehow write a lot of posts here trying to cause some restaurant to be like Basic (ideally, with a playroom, and maybe with a parental massage expert). But I do understand that there might be economic and bureaucratic reasons why running a restaurant like that here is not feasible.

- I should go home and cook more.

- I should go move to Montclair. (But do you really want someone like me moving around suburban New Jersey . . . behind the wheel of . . . A CAR? Be careful what you wish for.)

Posted on: 2007/12/8 20:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/2 11:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
alb wrote:
What I really, really want on Newark is a healthy version of a the pancake house and a restaurant that would serve soup, salads and sandwiches and find some way to make low-fat and low-sodium options available for people who are too tired to cook but need to cut down on salt and fat and are afraid of all of the chemicals that you see even in "organic" frozen prepared foods.
Some of the dishes at "It's Greek To Me," corner of Newark and Jersey, less than 3 minute walk up the block from OX, satisfies some of those issues. Their salads are excellent and generous in size. They have a number of vegetarian items.

Posted on: 2007/12/8 2:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/7 15:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
CHILDREN, CHILDREN, PUHLEEEZZZZZ. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? JERSEY CITY IS A MELTING POT. THERE'S A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE. STOP THE INSANITY!!!

Posted on: 2007/12/7 21:26
"IS THIS THE Susquehanna HAT COMPANY?"
(ABBOTT AND COSTELLO)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/8 5:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jac426 wrote:

Jesus Christ...and I can say that because He is with me, and He is tired of all you gripers too.

Wake the hell up!!!!

Period.

jac426, how dare you take the name of jesus christ in your vein? jesus is NOT with you! he can't stand you and people like you! jesus would never go to a foofy restaurant and pay too much good money for trendy jet set food. the children are starving in biafra and you are living it up eating fancy $50 ham sandwiches. if you were a true christian, you would be sending potato chips and macaroni and cheese to bangladesh and irvington! saint excrutia, the patron saint of croatian ventriloquists said "squanderith not your rupees upon victuals that the yak wouldst spit upon the ground but givith your alms to the needy and the prostitute". remember this jac426 the next time you are drinking your fancy $15 diet cola with lemon and two straws. and this goes for you too ferret ferret or rabbit rabbit or whatever alternative lifestyle name you call yourself now.

Posted on: 2007/12/7 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jac426 wrote:

No, I'm a brilliant, vital, and effective guy who is TIRED of you TIRED damned people in this TIRED damned city!!!

Yet still- here you are, posting away instead of packing up to move to Williamsburg.

Posted on: 2007/12/7 18:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/3 19:15
Group:
Banned
Have you looked at Newark Ave.?

It is changing, but slowly.

If you get there after 8PM it still looks a lot like Central Ave in the Heights.

Playdates...a rumpus room for kids??? Are you high???

You need to be in the suburbs, baby...not in JC...not for at least 15 years.

Hoboken doesn't even have that stuff.

Again...WAKE UP!!!

Posted on: 2007/12/7 10:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
And get a real damned name...unless you are actually RabbitRabbit...please...that is pretty damned stupid.

My point gets bigger by the second.

Posted on: 2007/12/7 10:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
What in blazing hell does that mean???

And don't call me sweetie unless you mean it!

More positions than the truth?

You think I'm an acrobat...a contortionist...

No, I'm a brilliant, vital, and effective guy who is TIRED of you TIRED damned people in this TIRED damned city!!!

Jesus Christ...and I can say that because He is with me, and He is tired of all you gripers too.

Wake the hell up!!!!

You can't see what is right in your faces?
Ox is VITAL...you are not.

Period.

Posted on: 2007/12/7 9:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/12/28 18:45
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jac426 wrote:
It is sad that the arrival of a vital new place like OX on the strip of 99 cent stores only inspires a conversation about "playdates'.

We're trying to build a city, not a suburb, and no I am not connected to Ox in any way except that I know Ed and I commend he and Nicole for their effort.

JC

Sweetie, you've got more positions than a hooker working for Mitt Romney's campaign.

And I'm all for OX doing well, but let's not get silly and call the place "vital". Nice? Welcome? Sure.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jac426 wrote:

We're trying to build a city, not a suburb, and no I am not connected to Ox in any way except that I know Ed and I commend he and Nicole for their effort.

JC

Why do you care, I thought you were moving to Brooklyn since downtown is, in your words, "done, stick a fork in it."

Posted on: 2007/12/6 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I charge $20 an hour.

and I will raid your fridge.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 18:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
I have a novel idea alb. If you are wondering about the portion sizes at Ox, why not give them a try. It seems like there has been lots of speculation and assumption on your part, without ever having set foot in the place. Did you examine the menu before claiming the prices were \"birthday\" level? The place may look swanky to you, or even just not your style, but let\'s not judge a book by its cover (unless Fabio is involved). I don\'t think many restaurants would ever say that they have enough customers. Check out the menu again and you might find that it is possible to eat there and not break the bank. It might not fit your needs for a weekly restaurant, but there\'s no need to criticize a new restaurant without even checking it out. I know someone (hint hint) who could even watch you child, if you wanted to grab a dinner/brunch with your hubby.

As someone who lives closer to Montclair than JC these days, let me say that the playdates were better in JC, and so far, so was the food!

Long live Ox!

Posted on: 2007/12/6 15:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
After dining at OX twice I must say that the food was outstanding each time. It seems to me that:
A) They sure appear to be doing "highly successful" business.
B) No, they don't need to make the place more kid or pocket friendly.
C) No, they don't need to advertise for people to come and just have a salad.
If you don't like the place or can't afford to eat there everyday fine. But why complain about the place when there are plenty of people who do? Why hijack a thread when you've never even eaten there?

Posted on: 2007/12/6 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jac426 wrote:

It's sad that a reasonably polite discussion about restaurants and the state of services in downtown Jersey City leads to intentional rudeness.

I think that a real city should have residents of all types and ages, and, as much as possible, the businesses and other services needed to support people of different ages.

Obviously, you're just reacting this way because you really like the OX people and got ticked off by what I wrote.

If you were serious about your comment, I'd say that maybe parents who are committed enough to diversity and urban living to put their kids in the Jersey City public schools belong here, and that people scandalized by the mere thought of an eat-in playroom might belong in an active adult living community somewhere.

Note that, even if people might have read my original post differently I never actually wrote that OX should go away. that it's in any way a bad restaurant, or that people who can afford to pay $30 or $40 for a meal on a regular basis should go away.

I just wrote that I was frustrated because (as far as I knew when I wrote my post, before MCA explained that the appetizers and salads are big) I didn't think it met my needs.

If the OX people read this thread at all:

- Maybe they're really successful and have all the business they can handle, or will have once Grove Pointe fills up, in which case, yay. Good for them.

- If they need more customers, maybe one thing they could do is figure out a subtle, classy way to indicate that their appetizers and salads are big enough to make a meal.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 9:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

JC

Posted on: 2007/12/6 7:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:
I don't have kids, but it doesn't seem like anyone is trying to avoid having to cook for their kids from home. I think it's more a matter of wanting to have the option of being able to engage in social activities with people in your peer group.

I am lazy when it comes to cooking, but the effortless outside the home playdate concept is also really appealing.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 6:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

molly wrote:
Why not try cooking for your kids at home?

I work full-time, and my spouse works semi-randomly rotating shifts. When the spouse is at home in the evening, cooking seems to be easy (aside from when stuff burns).

When the spouse is working till 2 a.m. or 4 a.m. or 6 a.m. or whatever, cooking seems really hard, and having someone else stretch my time by cooking the food and washing the pots and pans seems very appealing.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 6:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
[Why not try cooking for your kids at home? Problem solved for everyone. Some of my favorite memories were at the dinner table and it's something I hope to pass on to my children. Just a thought.]

I shouldn't bite, but I will - to put a nutritious meal seven days a week for a family is a tour de force, whether you are a stay-at-home parent, work at home or not, part-time or full-time, doesn't matter. Most weeks, I'm very happy when I resort to takeout/go out to eat only once. It's our well-deserved break.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 0:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have kids, but it doesn't seem like anyone is trying to avoid having to cook for their kids from home. I think it's more a matter of wanting to have the option of being able to engage in social activities with people in your peer group.

Quote:

molly wrote:
Why not try cooking for your kids at home? Problem solved for everyone. Some of my favorite memories were at the dinner table and it's something I hope to pass on to my children. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 0:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Why not try cooking for your kids at home? Problem solved for everyone. Some of my favorite memories were at the dinner table and it's something I hope to pass on to my children. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

xtine wrote:
I think the problem there is also the lack of sufficient seating and a real kitchen.

You could be right, but my suspicion is that the market is just so small that, a lot of times, owners of restaurants have to have other jobs to support their restaurants.

I've expressed skepticism about franchises in the past, but maybe something else that would work would be if we had some kind of mini Au Bon Pain or a mini version of Panera-like chain restaurant that could avoid dumping a week's worth of salt in every meal.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
I have a friend who I never get to see because so often it's "meet at a restaurant" and she has a small child.

I'm the awkward mother of a lovely but very active small child who, after 5 years, is just getting to the point that I can take her to a casual restaurant without wreaking too much havoc.

I completely agree, theoretically, with all of the people here who want parents to keep better control over their children in restaurants, but, in practice, I'm not good at it. If there are any people from Abbey's here: sorry about the glass that broke last Friday. I hope the $5 extra tip I gave on top of the regular tip was the right amount, and, if not, sorry again.

Anyhow, one thing that turned me into a pariah on this site about three or four years ago is that I suggested that it would be great if one entrepreneur (or maybe a consortium of several restaurants) could either create one kiddie playroom/child-friendly restaurant (e.g., a Chuck E. Cheese aimed at guilt-ridden Gen X parents who buy wooden Brio toys and try to serve their children reasonably healthy food) or else create a kiddie playroom in which parents of small children can bring in (or, ideally, accept deliveries of) food from other area restaurants.

Example: Maybe A Sound Start could open in the evenings for, say, $10 per kid, and arrange it so that a lot of different downtown restaurants would deliver food there on an expedited basis, and maybe the restaurants could pay Sound Start a $1 per meal in exchange for the extra business.

That way:

- Restaurants would have a tool for getting parents of active kids out of their dining rooms without being mean to the parents and shutting out eager paying customers.

- Parents would have some place to go to eat if they feel like getting out of their homes and away from their television sets.

- Parents would have a chance of seeing other parents and kids would have a chance of seeing other neighborhood kids without anyone having to deal with the social anxiety of arranging a playdate.

- If the playroom/dining room weren't preparing enough food that it had to apply for a restaurant license, maybe that would cut out a lot of red tape costs.

Of course, one obvious possible drawback to my suggestion is that it might not be legal for a business to do this without going through huge amounts of red tape and paying huge amounts for insurance, and another possible drawback is that there might not be enough parents parents who are desperate enough to get away from their homes to make the business viable in this particular neighborhood.

But my understanding is that Williamsburg has at least one kid-oriented restaurant, so maybe this is the sort of business that could work once Grove Point and Liberty Harbor North fill up.

Anyhow: I'm not suggesting that Ox should be this business, just wishing some other business would be this business (if it is actually feasible).

Posted on: 2007/12/5 19:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

Regardless: there should be room for all sorts of different types of restaurants. I just think there also ought to be room for a Cafe Nia restaurant that's open for dinner.

Cafe Nia is closed on Mondays - which I find odd for a cafe/coffee shop. (of course, I like eating out on Monday nights - not that easy in JC.) But I do want to point out that Baker Boys tried several times to be open for dinner and it went nowhere. I don't think that the area is that different yet. I think the problem there is also the lack of sufficient seating and a real kitchen.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
I have a friend who I never get to see because so often it's "meet at a restaurant" and she has a small child. She doesn't want to go somewhere where her child interfere's with the restaurants ambience so we are always delegated to a fast food chain, lol.

I always disagreed with her but the other day I was at a decent restaurant and a party of 6 let their small child run from one side of the table to the other while servers were frustratingly balancing trays trying to navigate their way everytime this child was in their way. They didn't look too impressed, I must admit the parents seemed oblivious to that (if you've ever been a server imagine hot drinks, small kid). I think the parents were good parents, the child just was too young to stay in his seat, he was restless. Is there a happy medium somewhere???

Posted on: 2007/12/5 9:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Two words for ya:

Madame Claude's

Of course, Madame Claude's is spectacularly wonderful, but the menu just doesn't work that great for my particular kid.

I understand that the last thing on earth most people here would want is for more small kids to descend on Madame Claude's.

For me personally, it would lead to a huge improvement in my quality of life if Madame Claude's served a very plain, herb-free, child-size portion of its roasted chicken.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 8:43

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017