Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 »

Re: ox restaurant
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 0:44
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Some friends came into town on Saturday and we dinner at Ox. It was very good. We had the same things as other people mentioned before so I won't go into details but all of us were very happy with the service and quality of the food.

Ox is definitely a nice addition to the ever changing JC restaurant scene.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 18:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
My 2 cents:

Went last night - no it's not Mexican. Service was excellent, atmosphere was very comfortable, although the dining room is pretty loud when the place is full, such as last night.

Tried the mussles and ox tail appetizers, both good. The mussles in Skinners Loft was better. Ox tail was interesting, it was on top of some sort of rice custard?

I had the Grilled Flat Iron Steak, medium rare, very good quality meat, cooked just right, lots of flavor. The spinach and potato that came with it was very good.

Th other people in my party had the Pan Seared Scallops (Excellent -reccommended), and the Olive Oil poached Halibutl topped with tobiko (fish eggs).

They also had a $26 bottle of Zin that was quite a good deal.

And the kids thought the Chocolate Gelatto was the best in recent memory.

I think the oxtail was on top of polenta. I thought it was yummy too. Also - loved the Cranberry Fizz. Very unusual flavor.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Hey parkman, how does one "sever" a vodka? Just kidding.

Anyhow I thought maybe I missed a new place opening re: White Horse. It's all good. And why would we let anyone get away with anything here?

Posted on: 2007/10/21 17:37
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My 2 cents:

Went last night - no it's not Mexican. Service was excellent, atmosphere was very comfortable, although the dining room is pretty loud when the place is full, such as last night.

Tried the mussles and ox tail appetizers, both good. The mussles in Skinners Loft was better. Ox tail was interesting, it was on top of some sort of rice custard?

I had the Grilled Flat Iron Steak, medium rare, very good quality meat, cooked just right, lots of flavor. The spinach and potato that came with it was very good.

Th other people in my party had the Pan Seared Scallops (Excellent -reccommended), and the Olive Oil poached Halibutl topped with tobiko (fish eggs).

They also had a $26 bottle of Zin that was quite a good deal.

And the kids thought the Chocolate Gelatto was the best in recent memory.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 16:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/10 15:38
Group:
Registered Users
oooh! they serve rabbit!? haven't been yet (obviously) but can't wait to try! forgive me, but it is a somewhat mexican joint, no? i was under the impression that ox was short for oxaca...in mexico

Posted on: 2007/10/21 15:48
"...truth is not told, it is realized."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SefZi wrote:
In post #40 parkman refers (inexplicably) to the "White Horse". That's not that far back.
Boy, you can?t get away with anything around here. Yes it was supposed to read ?Light Horse Tavern? ? so sue me. The review was about OX; simple error, sorry to cause such tumult.

Ps. Went there again last night and had the new addition to the menu of sea scallops ? very flavorful. Our waitress from last time welcomed us back immediately, remembered what vodka I preferred and how I like it severed; a pleasure to see that level of service. Full house last night, soon I think it?s going to get difficult to get in without a reservation well in advance.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 12:56

Edited by parkman on 2007/10/21 13:28:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/12/30 20:15
Group:
Banned
In post #40 parkman refers (inexplicably) to the "White Horse". That's not that far back.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 6:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
It's mentioned a few times. Go back to the second post by goblin for one.

Thanks for pointing that out JC; I hadn't gone back far enough in this thread and thought I was missing words

Posted on: 2007/10/20 21:43
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
It's mentioned a few times. Go back to the second post by goblin for one.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 21:39
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lunawolf3 wrote:
well...
my parents met at the White Horse on 11th & Hudson--I am most grateful to the WH-does that count for anything?

Yes, it does.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 21:32
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
well...
my parents met at the White Horse on 11th & Hudson--I am most grateful to the WH-does that count for anything?

Posted on: 2007/10/20 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Okay, I'm embarrassed to ask this, but where is White Horse? Do you mean Light Horse Tavern?
[...]

HUH? Did I miss something here? I looked through the thread and didn't see a mention of either White Horse Tavern ( a famous tavern in the West Village, site of Dylan Thomas's hang and deadly passing) or Light Horse Tavern (Paulus Hook).

Posted on: 2007/10/20 21:15
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, I'm embarrassed to ask this, but where is White Horse? Do you mean Light Horse Tavern?

We ate at Ox last night. This is a delicious alternative to Marco & Pepe. We've been waiting for it to open for weeks.

The sweet potato salad and ox tail were great.

The rabbit was just so juicy and tender (not anything like any chicken I've ever had - how could you even say it tastes like chicken).

The pork belly just melted in your mouth - a perfect play of flavors. Everyone at the table tried a piece and it was the best by far.

The sea bass was delicious as well.

The apple cranberry crisp was great. It does need a larger helping of vanilla gelato though. The nutella tart was devilishly decadent.

Oh and the Jersey City is definitely worth it. I saw it on their website the night before and knew ahead of time that is what I wanted. It did not disappoint. A perfect balance of bourbon and brandy.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 18:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 19:22
Group:
Registered Users
My husband & I ate there last night & thought it was fabulous. Loved the olives on the table, the simple decor & menu. We started w/ the bibb lettuce salad (yummy) which was great & came quickly. We had a bit of a wait for our entrees, but we expected that since it was only the second night open. Our waitress was attentive during our wait, and informed us of the backup in the kitchen - offered to freshen up our drinks/bring more olives, great service! Once the food came, it was well worth the wait!!! Hubby ordered the pork belly which he thoroughly enjoyed - I also tried some, it was almost too decadent to finish, but he did :) I ordered the seabass which was perfectly cooked & the broth and potatoes were very nicely flavored. Next time we will do dessert! We can't wait to return :)

Posted on: 2007/10/19 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
Quote:

Kitty_Galore wrote:
I'll add my kudos to the long-awaited OX! I went last night with a friend for some drinks and a grazing meal. Fabulous broccoli au gratin appetizer, amazing sweet potato salad (who knew of such a thing? But it works!), sublime shredded rabbit over noodles, and delightful "cranberry pot pie" for dessert. They make a nice classic martini, too, and a tray of delicious olives came immediately after we were seated. Friendly, efficient service made everything flow beautifully.

What a pleasure to have this sort of experience on a restaurant's opening night! A swell addition to Newark Avenue.

shredded rabbit doesn't sound very good

Dinner?!
Resized Image

http://www.rabbit.org/

Posted on: 2007/10/19 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
when people say that I always wonder, why not just order the chicken?

Posted on: 2007/10/19 17:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/24 18:31
Group:
Registered Users
If my SN was rabbitrabbit I would say that too..but Honestly, you should try it.."It tastes like chicken!"

Posted on: 2007/10/19 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kitty_Galore wrote:
I'll add my kudos to the long-awaited OX! I went last night with a friend for some drinks and a grazing meal. Fabulous broccoli au gratin appetizer, amazing sweet potato salad (who knew of such a thing? But it works!), sublime shredded rabbit over noodles, and delightful "cranberry pot pie" for dessert. They make a nice classic martini, too, and a tray of delicious olives came immediately after we were seated. Friendly, efficient service made everything flow beautifully.

What a pleasure to have this sort of experience on a restaurant's opening night! A swell addition to Newark Avenue.

shredded rabbit doesn't sound very good

Posted on: 2007/10/19 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Jennymayla: But how on earth do you pronounce it? "Oh Ex"? Or, gasp, "ox"? Or do we just call it "hugs and kisses"?

Can someone shed some light on this question?

Posted on: 2007/10/19 15:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/26 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
Just returned from dinner at Ox. One of the best meals I have had in Jersey City, second to only Porto Leggero. The food couldn't have been any better and the service (especially for such a new restaurant) was wonderful. I highly recommend the sweet potato salad, pork belly, ox appetizer, and nutella dessert.

Posted on: 2007/10/19 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kitty_Galore wrote:
Aha, how sweet potato salad eluded me in my culinary adventures down South I'll never know. One learns something new every day! I wasn't aware of a cookbook thread here, either; thanx for the tips, Bright Moment!

I found a link that reproduces some of the lost recipes of that thread (webmaster deleted posts before a certain date on this site and it removed 80% of what used to be here! ) and most of the posters of those recipes have moved on to another site, but here is the link to my recipe for Dill Potato Salad and Georgia Brunswick Stew plus some other great recipes.

JCList Recipe / Cookbook Thread Redux

Posted on: 2007/10/18 22:13
Resized Image

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
Aha, how sweet potato salad eluded me in my culinary adventures down South I'll never know. One learns something new every day! I wasn't aware of a cookbook thread here, either; thanx for the tips, Bright Moment!

Posted on: 2007/10/18 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kitty_Galore wrote:

Haven't been yet but looking forward to going as read nothing but good reviews.

As to "...amazing sweet potato salad (who knew of such a thing? But it works!), ", sweet potato salad is a staple in the South and I know I posted my own recipe here in the JC Cookbook thread, if it hasn't been deleted by the infamous software upgrade.

Do a search and you may find it.

Posted on: 2007/10/18 21:50
Resized Image

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/10/18 21:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ahh Yesss..How could I forget to mention the desserts!!
The Nutella Tart..rocked my socks!!!! and the Apple Crisper!
Yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Posted on: 2007/10/18 15:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
I dined there during the preview dinners and enjoyed everything I ate and drank. There was a limited menu, and I can't wait to try all of the other food that will be added to the menu as time goes on.

Bourbon Steamed Mussels - rich flavor that still managed to be light and a welcome change to the same old steamed mussels I have had elsewhere.

Steak - Cooked to perfection on top of some buttery good potatoes and watercress.

Nutella Tart - mmm ... like a warm brownie with espresso.

Service was excellent and attentive without being overbearing.

I have yet to try the Jersey City drink (their take on a Manhattan), but will have one the next time I visit which will be soon.

Posted on: 2007/10/18 15:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ox was well worth the wait!!!!
I had the Sweet Potato Salad, It was really good.
I also had the Flat Iron steak - it was just the way I like it!!!
Jersey City needed an establishment like this. I will definately be an ongoing customer.
All the servers worked together as a team and made sure our dining experience was pleasant!
I can't wait for the Steak tartare!!!!

Posted on: 2007/10/18 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
GREAT opening night!

we had the oxtail appetizer, the pear/gorganzola salad, the pork belly and the duck.

everything was cooked to perfection and the timing of the courses was spot-on.

our waiter (didn't get his name, damn) was attentive and the ambiance was relaxed and welcoming.

we were too full for dessert, but there's always next time. and there will be a next time, and a time after that.

think I've found my new favorite local.

Posted on: 2007/10/18 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Had dinner there tonight, what a pleasure; great ambiance, service (Megan), lighting, and most of all, the food.

We shared the sweet potato salad, which had an excellent dressing and wonderful mix of flavors. I had the sea bass, which was cooked perfectly, and my wife had rabbittx2 surprisingly flavorful and sweet; who knew?

Desserts, oh my. The apple/cranberry crisp, to die for and nutella (sp) tart, incredible.

Prices comparable to Marco & Pepe and a little less than White Horse.

Excellent for an opening night, can?t wait for an expanded menu.

Nice bar too.

Posted on: 2007/10/18 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Just called and learned that they are indeed opening tomorrow. Not today.

Damn, I'm hungry.

Posted on: 2007/10/16 18:51

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017