Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Anonymous
Re: I am getting the heck out of Newport
Why do people always bash the PATH. I agree that Newport are not luxury apartments. I lived there for 5 years. In those 5 years the PATH was 95% on time. There are no garbage cans in the stations for fear of bombs being put in them where they are hidden. It is alot easier to drop a timed explosive device inside a trash can while the person gets on the next train or walks out of the station then leaving an unattended package on the platform. Also the longest wait for a train is 30 minutes. That is comprable to the NYC subway.

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:

Totally Rocks, more like Totally SUCKS with way overinflated rents & home prices...

Queens is a much, much better alternative & the rents are much less...

You can do much better in Astoria Queens & be 15 minutes away from midtown..

Jersey City will deflate in value after interest rates rise.

so, uh, buh-bye then. Ain't nobody forcing you to live here.

Try getting into the city from Astoria on the N/W train after hours. You'll wish that you still lived in Newport. Having to wait and wait and wait for the slow N/W is much worse than dealing with the PATH, believe me.

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:

Totally Rocks, more like Totally SUCKS with way overinflated rents & home prices...

so, uh, buh-bye then. Ain't nobody forcing you to live here.

Anonymous
Quote:

...Jersey City will deflate in value after interest rates rise.

so will your head

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
Yeah well, you know the old saying, don't let the door hit in the...

Seriously, most of downtown Jersey City totally rocks..

Anonymous
I believe you're the newport basher. The real bits.. try the real pits. I actually miss Newport.

Anonymous
Funny, how come people who feel superior always have so much headache and negativity no matter where they live and how much they have?

Anonymous
Yeah well, you know the old saying, don't let the door hit in the...

Seriously, most of downtown Jersey City totally rocks. It's no one's fault but your own if you didn't do your homework about the building you were moving into. So you leave and we lose one more yuppie wannabe from the waterfront; big deal - the rest of us who live in the REAL bits of town, aren't gonna cry you a river, pal.

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
I made the big mistake of moving from Manhattan to Newport, thinking hey, it's a souless ditch, but at least I get a "luxury" apartment that faces the Hudson and Manhattan on a high floor (29th), and it's only one stop on the PATH.

F**k. Sure, the view is nice, but the "luxury" buildings here are actually made from ricepaper glued together, so you can hear everything within a 10 apartment radius. They are so badly insulated, people expect to pay between $300-500 a month in heating bills over the winter.

The apartment buildings, even though they are new, are roach infested. They are all owned by one guy (Richard LeFrak) who is a slumlord and a complete piece of s**t. He only allows his telephone company in the apartments, and the only cable TV you can get is a sh***ty 80's style RCN service, because of a deal made by him and them which scored him lots of extra $$$. If you want "broadband" (remember, these are "luxury" apartments full of about 70,000 "professionals") - think again, you can only have LeFrak's "shared T1" line, which he markets as a T1 connection but in fact is thousands of people piggybacked on a T3 line. So it's worse than dial-up most of the time. Management here is s**t, they won't do anything for you.

The maintenance staff & mgmt has got to be the most incompetant, rudest, indifferent bunch of dolts I have ever encountered. I certainly will not pay over $2,000 a month in rent to be treated like crap.

But it's not just Newport, I get the feeling the whole of New Jersey is inflicted by some disease which makes everything crap, everyone incompetant and makes every politician and official as corrupt as it's possible to get. And riding the PATH train home (I like to say that without the "T"), I just get the feeling of inferior people. Sorry, that's how it looks. The f**king PATH train. Slow (trains stop in tunnels about 10 times between Jersey and Manhattan), bad design (no trash cans anywhere on the platforms, very few seats, few elevators for disabled people and the one at 33rd st, one of only 2 in Manhattan, is out of service until early 2005!! How incompetant can you get?), and what's more, you can't get an unlimited use card. How s***ty is that?

I think Jersey also has worse pollution than New York, strangely enough. It's stinky and ever since I moved here I've been ill regularly, have lots of headaches and I feel dizzy as soon as I get off the PATH train.

Yep, if you ever feel like you're taking New York forgranted, move to Jersey for a while - you'll be so #OOPS#ing thankful when you move back.

You might want to try some Prozac. Your negativity is giving you those headaches.

Anonymous
I don't think he/she sounded ractist at all. I don't undertand why some people had to be so PC when there are facts right in front of our faces!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
that last post was from me.

anyway, as for the original post, i agree with half of your statements but the other half really are not founded on any facts.

i do not subscribe to a "go back from whence you came" mentality, but since you've already stated that you are "getting the heck out of Newport," then let me be the first (or second, or third ... ) to say,
Bon Voyage!

Posted on: 2004/11/1 0:20

Anonymous
how could you start a post by saying:

Quote:
btw this is not racism and i have nothing against indians

and end it with a complete contradiction:

Quote:
Not to pick on indians again, but as a blank statement a lot of indians are very very dirty. Maybe it's because they jam 3-4 ppl into a 1br, or their cooking style. But if you have ever had a glimpse into those apts, the rotten curry(is that possible?) smell is enough to make you vormit and old leftover food everywhere, even on floors outside the br doors. How could roaches not come?

how can a "blank statement" as you called it, not be a racist notion against a group of people?

Anonymous
Quote:

2) Exchange place has been developed into a mini wallstreet, well where most of the IT for wallstreet firms are. You have a lot of people like me, young professionals who work at exchange place, 5-10 min commute to work, or 15 mins to wtc. Cant beat that. Why would i want to live in the city? pay higher rent and have a much longer commute.

Just wait until you lose your job to one those 'indians' that you keep speaking about... How much do you think these 'Indians" make if they need to live 3-5 per apartment (why in heavens name does mgmt even approve this)?? Probably much less than you...
Have you even read or heard anything about outsourcing?? (Other than what the commentators on FOX News & CNBC say about it)??

When that happens I don't think you will be singing such a happy tune...

Anonymous
I don't know about the rest of jersey city, but newport is not coming down in price any time soon (if ever). Forget about the bubble, rates etc, the main reasons are because (btw this is not racism and i have nothing against indians but just the facts):

1) Thousands of outsource indians that come to work in exchange place/wall street from india really have VERY limited options. They do not know the area at all and are all scared about safety, and outsource firms like tata give them a max of 1 week before kicking them out of the hotel. So they are almost willing to pay anything to get a place. Just look at the getnj message boards, all those posters begging for apts.

Newport is the ideal and only place they rent in. Close commute and safe area. It's too often, they rather squeeze like 3-4 people in a 1br apt in newport than rent a nice 2br place in jsq for the same rent.

And some of those lucky indians after getting their green card / settles down here, naturally likes to buy an apt in newport. And sure they can afford it, now that they are making us wages on wall street.

This trend is not going away. Open your eyes and look around in the elevators, more than half the people living in newport are indians.

I conclude this is the single most important factor that are driving the newport rents/property value through the roof.

2) Exchange place has been developed into a mini wallstreet, well where most of the IT for wallstreet firms are. You have a lot of people like me, young professionals who work at exchange place, 5-10 min commute to work, or 15 mins to wtc. Cant beat that. Why would i want to live in the city? pay higher rent and have a much longer commute.

Newport is really just a mental barrier, you can get to wallstreet and wtc much faster from newport than a lot of locations in the city, but because it is separated by the hudson people tend to think differently.

3) The newport area is golden:

a)safe neighborhood ( i can walk around past midnight with no issues at all)
b)well developed streets, layout, flower/tree patches etc
c)mall, target, supermarket, bj, restuarents, pretty much everything you need at doorstep.

I do agree the building quality and management in newport is total crap. It's very sad really, if lefrak just put SOME effort into making their buildings a bit better quality and provide the basic utilities like digital cable, choices of isp etc. This area will be alot more attractive.

This in my view, is the only thing holding newport and its property value back. Retarded management and poor quality highrises.

4) Continue on 3), part of the blame also lies with the tenant. Not to pick on indians again, but as a blank statement a lot of indians are very very dirty. Maybe it's because they jam 3-4 ppl into a 1br, or their cooking style. But if you have ever had a glimpse into those apts, the rotten curry(is that possible?) smell is enough to make you vormit and old leftover food everywhere, even on floors outside the br doors. How could roaches not come?

You dont get those kind of tenants in the city.

And lastly to the original poster, you are a retard for complaining about the path train. Have you ever taken a nyc subway? you think they are cleaner or better? what planet do you live in...

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/26 16:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

Jersey City is the next Brooklyb Heights/Cobble Hill, Park Slope.

Jersey City is about 10 years away from being anything close to resembling any of those neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Good. Come back in ten years. I'll sell you my brownstone for 3 times what I paid.

Posted on: 2004/10/31 20:14

Anonymous
So why are you bothering to read or write to this list?
[/quote]
You wrote:

Oh, BTW I rented a huge one bedroom apartment for $1,200 in Astoria (with heat included) with 20 minute commute to midtown..

And the people are friendlier, not stuck up, snotty 'priced out of Manhattan' yuppies that have taken over the Jersey City waterfront.. [/quote]

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
The New York subway system can suffer from union strikes, water main breaks, tunnel fires, break downs, etc.

Where are you going to go? How will you know ahead of time that the next place will be better? What will you do different before you sign the lease?

I agree with the OP.. Newport sucks & the staff in the rental office were very rude when I came to look for an apartment (I had an appointment).. They wanted to charge me $120 application fee + $80 credit check fee before I saw an apartment to see if I would qualify.

I told them to take a hike and walked out... Also, the PATH train (and people from Jersey in general) suck. You cannot compare the PATH train with 10 stations (2 which are safe to walk from after dark) to the NYC subway...

Oh, BTW I rented a huge one bedroom apartment for $1,200 in Astoria (with heat included) with 20 minute commute to midtown..

And the people are friendlier, not stuck up, snotty 'priced out of Manhattan' yuppies that have taken over the Jersey City waterfront..

Anonymous
The New York subway system can suffer from union strikes, water main breaks, tunnel fires, break downs, etc.

Where are you going to go? How will you know ahead of time that the next place will be better? What will you do different before you sign the lease?

Anonymous
I think you need to look at real estate in other areas of NJ and the country in general, prices are up everywhere. I was vacationing on Cape Cod this past summer and wa shocked that every TINY home in Provincetown was $1 million or more, 2 br condos were selling at $750,000 and up. Real estate is up everywhere, you can attribute it to multple factors, real estate bubble/speculation, low interest rates, poor performance in the stock market/mutual funds, growth in population. According to the census bureau the population of NYC since 9/11 has grown about 900.000 people. I don't know what the population growth in the surounding areas such as JC is.
Real estate has always been one of the best investments you can make.

Anonymous
The people that can afford these 400K-500K condos could be wise people who invested in real estate a few years back and sold their property, made a $150K profit and socled it as a down payment in a $400K place, so their payments are reasonable. They could be a married couple that makes two incomes that total 150-200K. There are many scenarios. People are buying In JC that usually wouldn't because they are priced out of Manhattan and want more space so they will sacrifice.

Who are the people on this board? Do they rent or own. Any homeowner in JC should be happy that prices are high. IT IS RAISING THE VALUE OF YOUR HOME. The more gentrified this city becomes, it will help you out!

Who are the people who Couldn't afford a 400K apartment? What do you do for a living that has made you satisfied being able to afford less?

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
There is no housing bubble. it is called supply and demand.Wake Up. Jersey City is the next Brooklyb Heights/Cobble Hill, Park Slope.

And regarding your real estate agent comment, you are probably jealous of the commissions that they make.

Do you actually know what supply and demand is, or an economic bubble is, or do you think that because you watch CNN, you are some expert in economics?

I have always wondered who are the people who acutally can afford to buy these properties.. Even with the 'low interest rates' hype, you still need to pay condo fees, real estate taxes, PMI with less than 10% down, insurance etc....
Only a small percentage of people in Jersey City & in the NYC metro area work on wall street which really is the only industry that pays salaries which enables one to buy a home in this area...

Sorry, but Jersey City is not a place that justifies a $3,000 - $4,000 a month PITI payment on a $400,000 - $500,000 condo...

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

Jersey City is about 10 years away from being anything close to resembling any of those neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Maybe, but all of the real estate speculation that is taking place will ensure that rents in Jersey City will be comparable to (if not the same as) rents in Brooklyn Heights/Park Slope, except without the "trendy" factor that those neighborhoods have.

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
There is no housing bubble. it is called supply and demand.Wake Up. Jersey City is the next Brooklyb Heights/Cobble Hill, Park Slope.

And regarding your real estate agent comment, you are probably jealous of the commissions that they make.

Do you actually know what supply and demand is, or an economic bubble is, or do you think that because you watch CNN, you are some expert in economics?

Anonymous
Quote:

Anonymous

Anonymous
There is no place in Jersey City (especially Newport) that justifies the ridiculous rents & prices that are being charged.

$1,900 for a one bedroom in Newport???

$400,000 for a one bedroom condo in the downtown 'historic district' where there is much more crime than anywhere in the NYC 5 boros (unless you can pay $800,000 to live on the waterfront)???? Laughable.....

We are definately in a housing bubble where people are paying the most ridiculous prices for utter crap & treat these used car dealer real estate agents like gifts from god...

Anonymous
Newport is shit. Somehow I think it's better than LeFrek City in Queens though... (which is part of NYC) but don't bundle the rest of Jersey in with that crap-hole.

Anonymous
see ya

Anonymous
I am getting the heck out of Newport
I made the big mistake of moving from Manhattan to Newport, thinking hey, it's a souless ditch, but at least I get a "luxury" apartment that faces the Hudson and Manhattan on a high floor (29th), and it's only one stop on the PATH.

F**k. Sure, the view is nice, but the "luxury" buildings here are actually made from ricepaper glued together, so you can hear everything within a 10 apartment radius. They are so badly insulated, people expect to pay between $300-500 a month in heating bills over the winter.

The apartment buildings, even though they are new, are roach infested. They are all owned by one guy (Richard LeFrak) who is a slumlord and a complete piece of s**t. He only allows his telephone company in the apartments, and the only cable TV you can get is a sh***ty 80's style RCN service, because of a deal made by him and them which scored him lots of extra $$$. If you want "broadband" (remember, these are "luxury" apartments full of about 70,000 "professionals") - think again, you can only have LeFrak's "shared T1" line, which he markets as a T1 connection but in fact is thousands of people piggybacked on a T3 line. So it's worse than dial-up most of the time. Management here is s**t, they won't do anything for you.

The maintenance staff & mgmt has got to be the most incompetant, rudest, indifferent bunch of dolts I have ever encountered. I certainly will not pay over $2,000 a month in rent to be treated like crap.

But it's not just Newport, I get the feeling the whole of New Jersey is inflicted by some disease which makes everything crap, everyone incompetant and makes every politician and official as corrupt as it's possible to get. And riding the PATH train home (I like to say that without the "T"), I just get the feeling of inferior people. Sorry, that's how it looks. The f**king PATH train. Slow (trains stop in tunnels about 10 times between Jersey and Manhattan), bad design (no trash cans anywhere on the platforms, very few seats, few elevators for disabled people and the one at 33rd st, one of only 2 in Manhattan, is out of service until early 2005!! How incompetant can you get?), and what's more, you can't get an unlimited use card. How s***ty is that?

I think Jersey also has worse pollution than New York, strangely enough. It's stinky and ever since I moved here I've been ill regularly, have lots of headaches and I feel dizzy as soon as I get off the PATH train.

Yep, if you ever feel like you're taking New York forgranted, move to Jersey for a while - you'll be so #OOPS#ing thankful when you move back.

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017