Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Re: NJ transit to build pedestrian bridge from Hoboken to Newport
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
The Newport stop is shorter, but when the weather is nice I prefer the Hoboken stop. A chance to get exercise, take in views

Posted on: 2013/3/23 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
A little longer from Hoboken, but a lot prettier.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Its much easier to get off at Newport and then go to Target.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 12:40

Walk to Target from Hoboken or Newport Light Rail?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/8 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Is it faster to walk from the Hoboken Light Rail to Target or from the Newport Light Rail to Target? I read something about walking along the waterfront from Hoboken, but I can't tell from the maps if it's still possible...

Any tips would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 3:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Yea that back route into lackawanna is sketchy looking, but it's the best route for no hassle. . I've went this way over 25x after 7pm and never had a problem.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Xerxes asked
Quote:

bodhipooh,

Can you amplify on your method of avoiding the station and the bike walking. I tried early on and a cop gave me so much trouble even when I was on my bike on the SOUTH side of the bars adjoining the Light Rail, clearly not part of the Light rail and a city block from the covered station. He kept bullhorning threats at me. It was intimidating to say the least.
I had dutifully walked my bike TWICE through the entire station and well away from all entrances and exits to the Light Rail.
HIS assumption was that once one leaves Lefrak Property one is "in the station" and thus OFF the bike, even if the station is two blocks away.

I did see that possible route at the "rear end" of the light rail accross the tracks that led into Hoboken bypassing the station but that was cut off by a chain link gate. Have they opened that?

Help me out here because dealing with that miserable thug of a cop is something I don't want to repeat.

Xerxes, my apologies for taking SO long to reply... I completely missed your post asking for more information! I think you had really bad luck when you ran into that cop. I normally ride along the pedestrian walkway between Newport and the HBLR station. Once I reach the HBLR, I slow down, but I DO NOT dismount. I continue riding as far away from the train and passenger area and simply proceed towards the Hoboken train station area. As you enter the Hoboken train station area, stay to your right and you will pass a walkway that leads towards the ferry area. Essentially, you are heading towards a "back" area that is a parking lot of some sort. In fact, it is a very interesting back area. You can hear and see the water, and it is damp and dirty back there. This parking lot area opens up to the larger parking area that is outdoors and adjacent to the station.

I have never been stopped, or hassled, by the train station staff, or the police in the area. In fact, I LOVE this route, as it allows me to go from JC into Hoboken very quickly with minimum risk to my person.

Good luck in your riding adventures!

Posted on: 2009/11/22 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Showtime wrote:
Forgive me, but where exactly is the Newport entrance?

directly across from the south entrance to Target.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 18:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Forgive me, but where exactly is the Newport entrance?

Posted on: 2009/11/21 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
the behind-the-terminal shortcut is just past the ferry entrance, which still takes you about 20 feet into the terminal, and into the sights of the pr!ck with the bullhorn. he shouted at me yesterday, and continued shouting long after I'd dismounted my bike, at which point he was no longer intimidating, just annoying.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
bodhipooh,

Can you amplify on your method of avoiding the station and the bike walking. I tried early on and a cop gave me so much trouble even when I was on my bike on the SOUTH side of the bars adjoining the Light Rail, clearly not part of the Light rail and a city block from the covered station. He kept bullhorning threats at me. It was intimidating to say the least.
I had dutifully walked my bike TWICE through the entire station and well away from all entrances and exits to the Light Rail.
HIS assumption was that once one leaves Lefrak Property one is "in the station" and thus OFF the bike, even if the station is two blocks away.

I did see that possible route at the "rear end" of the light rail accross the tracks that led into Hoboken bypassing the station but that was cut off by a chain link gate. Have they opened that?

Help me out here because dealing with that miserable thug of a cop is something I don't want to repeat.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

You can bike behind the Hoboken terminal if you stay to the right as you enter the termianl from JC it will take you into the service area. The security guard told me that way you can avoid walking your bike.

I can confirm this. I rode through the area this past Monday and rode my bike through the "back" area which lets out through a parking area behind the terminal end. One thing, though: you still have to bike through the HBLR area, which means dodging commuters...

Posted on: 2009/10/10 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
You can bike behind the Hoboken terminal if you stay to the right as you enter the termianl from JC it will take you into the service area. The security guard told me that way you can avoid walking your bike.

Quote:

heights wrote:
I think it's great, biked there twice already coming from DT J.C. into Hoboken then I ride to the 9th St. station and take the elevator up to the Height, sure beats taking the PATH to Hoboken. Just curious though do you have to land into the PATH terminal at the foot of Hoboken upon arrival I was hoping to avoid all those commuters.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 5:32

Re: waterfront walkway and newport / hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:
Thoughts?

Glad it's open and open 24/7.

Nitpicking for sure, but from the colors of the railings, to paving, to signage, everything in Newport (by Lefrak) has a bit of cheesiness to it.

Haha - touche - I stand corrected! ;)

Posted on: 2009/10/9 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's great, biked there twice already coming from DT J.C. into Hoboken then I ride to the 9th St. station and take the elevator up to the Height, sure beats taking the PATH to Hoboken. Just curious though do you have to land into the PATH terminal at the foot of Hoboken upon arrival I was hoping to avoid all those commuters.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Their design aesthetic is stuck in 1992.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Thoughts?

Glad it's open and open 24/7.

Nitpicking for sure, but from the colors of the railings, to paving, to signage, everything in Newport (by Lefrak) has a bit of cheesiness to it.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
True, but I'm picking my battles and at least it's open 24/7 now. Good enough for me for now. Got bigger fish to fry.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 14:00

waterfront walkway and newport / hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone walked the newly opened stretch of the Waterfront Walkway between JC and Hoboken? It's lovely. The one thing that sticks out, though, is that upon entering JC there is a sign that says "Welcome to Newport". Shouldn't it say "welcome to Jersey City"? It's ideal to greet people to our City, not one development!

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2009/10/9 13:10

Re: Biking on from new pedestrian bridge from JC to Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
and on a side note...

Hoboken: Check Sinatra Park after partial collapse

Thursday, September 24, 2009
By JAMIE SCHUH
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

HOBOKEN - City officials announced yesterday they are taking "emergency measures" to secure and stop any further erosion of Sinatra Park after a portion collapsed into the Hudson River on Monday.

"The public's safety is the greatest concern and we have closed off the affected areas while our engineers study the situation," said acting Mayor Dawn Zimmer.

"A team of divers from Boswell Underwater Engineering will be conducting an inspection of the pier's infrastructure (today) at 7 a.m.

"As a result, all public events have been canceled at the park, including the adjacent soccer field, while we address this issue," Zimmer added. "All soccer games this weekend have been moved to the Hoboken High School field."

City officials said that on Monday, about 9 a.m., Hoboken municipal employees reported cracking in the pavers at the far eastern tip of Sinatra Park. The area was immediately closed to the public.

City engineers then conducted a "visual" survey of the area and pier piles during high tide that afternoon.

But that survey, as well as a low-tide survey on Tuesday and yesterday proved inconclusive.

As a result, an underwater "diving" survey of the area will be conducted today at 7 a.m. by Boswell Underwater Engineering to determine the integrity of the structure, officials said.

"We are using every resource at our disposal to remedy the situation in Sinatra Park," Zimmer said.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 16:17

Re: Biking on from new pedestrian bridge from JC to Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Well if you are on roller blades, I have a hunch the transit cops won't be able to catch you.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 20:03

Biking on from new pedestrian bridge from JC to Hoboken

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/28 19:48
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
I find myself having to dismount when I cut through the Hoboken train terminal.

Does anyone know a way to get to the Hoboken waterfront without going through the Hoboken train terminal? It's not that bad on a bike, but you can't rollerblade inside the train station--plus the act of taking off skates for that 30 second walk through the station is kinda ridiculous.

I tried asking the station attendants, but they were clueless. One actually suggested I go through the garbage dumpster area, but there's signs marking that place as off limits.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Makes sense. It's a shame though.

In related news, part of the Husdon walkway in Sinatra Park just crumbled into the river...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/9/23 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Clermont Cove, built in 1986 - 1988, slipped in before the laws creating the walkway were solidified.

From the New York Times, Sept 1987

"Indeed, the earliest projects to go forward on the waterfront found ways to avoid the state's requirements and either did not leave room for a walkway or did so only grudgingly."

Such is no longer the case with waterfront development along the river. The only thing that will now change the direction of the walkway is either not building within 100 feet of the water -- unlikely to say the least -- or changing the waterline by expanding it or filling it in, neither likely given the environmental regulations surrounding the waterline now in place.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
There have been problematic interpretations of this though.

For example, the Sugar House does have a walkway along the water, but it's mostly useless as it not connected to it's neighbor to the east. From the Goldman building you need to go out to Essex St, turn on Washington and pick up the walkway again past the park.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sassinak wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
I am wondering how they will connect Paulus Hook and LSP without impacting boat traffic related to the marina. Either the bridge will have to be built quite high to accommodate ship passage, or built way back, near the current Jersey St. extension.

The walkway will connect around the marina, west from Morris Street, South along Marin, west along whatever new road is built in Liberty Harbor North, South along Jersey, and then into the park. There will not be a bridge over the canal.

ummm... unless you are more in tune with all of the property owners, NJDEP, LSP, and the various other groups actually associated with this, i'm not sure how you can say something like this with such conviction.

Granted, that is a "straight lines" assumption to follow natural boundaries, but I am pretty sure there is nothing at all decided in any way, shape or form in relation to this stretch of the walkway other than the conceptual plans that have been brought to bear by the Jersey City Waterfront Parks Conservancy (jcwpc.org) and another concept (for the Colgate clock area only) by NJDEP.

By law, any development along the Hudson River must construct and maintain a walkway within in the 30 feet between the water and land. As Liberty Harbor North has plans to build out to the waterfront, unless the law changes, the property development will be required by law to build the walkway along those designated points. Public access points are also stipulated.

From the NJDEP:

"Under the Coastal Zone Management rules, each new development or redevelopment project in the area is required to construct and maintain a segment of the Walkway ?coincident with the shoreline of the development? according to established design guidelines and standards. The rules require that 24-hour public access be provided for recreational use of the walkway."

So if by "in tune with all the property owners" you actually mean "know how to read," then yes, I guess I am.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 6:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
I am wondering how they will connect Paulus Hook and LSP without impacting boat traffic related to the marina. Either the bridge will have to be built quite high to accommodate ship passage, or built way back, near the current Jersey St. extension.

The walkway will connect around the marina, west from Morris Street, South along Marin, west along whatever new road is built in Liberty Harbor North, South along Jersey, and then into the park. There will not be a bridge over the canal.

ummm... unless you are more in tune with all of the property owners, NJDEP, LSP, and the various other groups actually associated with this, i'm not sure how you can say something like this with such conviction.

Granted, that is a "straight lines" assumption to follow natural boundaries, but I am pretty sure there is nothing at all decided in any way, shape or form in relation to this stretch of the walkway other than the conceptual plans that have been brought to bear by the Jersey City Waterfront Parks Conservancy (jcwpc.org) and another concept (for the Colgate clock area only) by NJDEP.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 3:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You have to hit Morris Pesin Dr for about a half mile to pick it up. The road is wide and it's basically just the entrance to the park so it's not too bad to ride/walk on.

Thanks! I'm gonna do this tonight :)

Posted on: 2009/9/22 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
You have to hit Morris Pesin Dr for about a half mile to pick it up. The road is wide and it's basically just the entrance to the park so it's not too bad to ride/walk on.

You pick up the new path in front of the new marina building after you pass the parking lots and small boat launch. It goes along the water, continues on and elevated walkway through the wetlands (nice!), though a bit of the gold course and you end up is this planned community (forget the name). Head up the road a bit and there a path down back along the Hudson. You can take that for another mile or so as it goes though all the canals and boats of the community. Think Venice on the Hudson. Kindda surreal.

Here's a basic map,

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3209799

Posted on: 2009/9/22 19:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The nicest stretch is LSP with the new southern extention which is about 7 straight miles.

Where in LSP can I find the southern extension? Where does it end? Is it a path/walkway or do you have to go out onto streets?

Posted on: 2009/9/22 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Newport Office Center I is a redeveloped warehouse - not new construction. It is directly on the water because it was built for transferring goods from ship to train for distribution around the USA.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 15:46

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017