Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Skinner's Loft... delish!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Bought 2. Thanks for the heads up.

you're welcome. :)

Posted on: 2012/8/8 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Bought 2. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Beats me too but last time i got one from them it was just a regular gift card. Nicer than a paper print out if you're willing to wait a week or so for it to arrive in the mail, and if you wanted to buy this as a gift for someone it's definitely less tacky than a printed voucher. Maybe that's why???

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

margel wrote:
What's the deal with the "iCityCerts" card? Why can't I just print out the deal like with Groupons or Living Social?

i've used them before, they just mail you a gift card. i would assume perhaps its more secure? harder to make a fake? beats me, those are my guesses though.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 12:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

margel wrote:
What's the deal with the "iCityCerts" card? Why can't I just print out the deal like with Groupons or Living Social?

i've used them before, they just mail you a gift card. i would assume perhaps its more secure? harder to make a fake? beats me, those are my guesses though.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 6:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/8/6 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They're offering another deal.... 54% of your meal.
http://offers.cbslocal.com/?ref=4d5c9895f1954b1e8e02dd2bd43e5693

If you're like me and frequent the restaurant anyway, this is a win!

Posted on: 2012/8/6 20:23

Re: SKINNER'S LOFT
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 2:32
Group:
Registered Users
i love this place! the food and service is the bet i have ever had in jersey city. thank you!

Posted on: 2011/7/8 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
been eating there for years (12+- when it was formerly Hamilton Park Ale House).
Never had a bad meal-- they have always periodically changed the menu-- but I always manage to find a new best favorite!

Posted on: 2011/6/30 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Since we moved from Paulus Hook to Harsimous Cove, Skinner's Loft has become sort of our go to place (it used to be Amelia's). I really enjoy both the atmosphere and the food; plus we've never had an issue with service.

I have to agree with not being thrilled by the change of the menu however. It's not just that they altered it, they also narrowed it down. This can be a problem because they are not all that accommodating in regards to substitutions.

Where there used to be sides you could order if you don't like the ones that the chef chooses to serve with the main course, now you don't even have that option.

So, for example, in the past I often ordered the steak frites. I'm really trying not to eat as many "white" foods these days, so I don't eat "regular" french fries all that often. Before they changed the menu, I would just tell them to leave off the fries and order a side of roast sweet potato wedges. Yes, I was paying extra for the side, but I accepted the fact they don't substitute and this way I could have what I wanted. Now I don't even have that option.

It's just a little frustrating. I'm glad the chef wants to change things up and keep things seasonal. But at least give me options that replace the old ones; or become more open to substituting things out.

That's my two cents.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 14:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/2 11:39
Group:
Registered Users
i never had a bad meal at skinners loft everything was very good and the place is decorted nice my only gripe is there is no evelator for disabled people and they cant go there especilly to the roof the stairs are too long and i cant climb them to get there cause i have a heart conition and get out of beath. but i love the food and will continue to go o had the chicken last week and the pork appitizer but they should have give three instead of two was not enough to share great food

Posted on: 2011/6/30 12:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Yes phDog, the track record has been pretty good in the past 2 years (I said "a couple" years), actually it has been great in terms of service especially upstairs. I'm sure I'll be back, probably after the next menu change, I doubt they'll miss my money because they seem to do pretty good every day. That last meal was terrible though......I'm hungry, anybody got a cheddar hush puppy to spare?

Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Maybe you could have told all this to the management?

I think he/she just did.

I like Skinners. in there once or twice a month to eat at the bar and have some beers. everything for that type of experience is fine, but I can see why the service level downstairs, consistency of food coming out of the kitchen and menu changes might be frustrating. for instance, I almost never got a MR burger to temp... I had to start ordering rare so there was at least a chance they wouldn't overcook it too much. Other dishes have come out slopily cooked (over/underdone), but not horribly.

Again, i like going there and will continue... but I do not have great expectations and do try to keep it simple.

One note about the menu changes: if dishes you loved were removed (and I did like the ones mentioned), it's probably because they were not selling (or seasonal?).

Posted on: 2011/6/28 14:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bluekollar wrote:
Long story short,

ha

Posted on: 2011/6/27 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
so you went here once a week for the past few years (100+ times) and only got bad service once?!?!

thats an outstanding track record.

btw, i enjoyed your colorful writing style.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe you could have told all this to the management? Menu changes won't please everyone, all the time. Usually a place will remove certain items if they aren't selling. Just because you liked those items, doesn't mean everyone else did.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 19:24

SKINNER'S LOFT

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
I've been going here once a week for the last couple years and I've, for the most part, been thrilled with the cuisine as well as the service.....until now. I recently decided to sit downstairs for the first time (seating near the bar) and the service was bad, no bread basket, slow on drinks, and I overheard our server tell some patrons that she needed to step out for a few moments to feed someones cat. Ummm, I kinda want to get fed too, I'll even give you money to bring it to me. So that's one issue I've had recently.

The other issue is the menu overhaul that took place in the past few weeks. First and foremost I understand that menu's get changed from time to time but the cheddar hush puppies, pulled pork potato crisps, meatball sharing plate, and the mac n cheese need to be on this pub's menu, the dishes above are fantastic and I miss them already, along with the pear and bacon salad. I had the pork and tomatillo jam on a tostone app and the pork was chewy and the tostone was underdone, I followed with a mixed tomato salad and that was decent but still a far cry from the brussel sprout salad or the pear and bacon salad. And lastly I shared the entree special, "cowboy" rib eye. I never have an issue spending money for good food but Skinner's has no business charging $30 for this piece of meat, being loaded with fat and gristle it made it difficult to navigate to edible portions of the cut and when I finally arrived the meat was so chewy that I could blow a friggin bubble with it. After I pushed this aside I looked for redemption in the side dish and found a small cast iron dish with a lid on it that was described as a gratini, covered with tasteless and annoyingly stringy cheese were a mix of bland veggies that could have easily been a Green Giant frozen veggie mix blended with undercooked chunks of potato.

Long story short, the old menu made this pub a very attractive local spot for grub and brew.....until they put out something that resembles that original fare, I'll stick with the brew.....maybe I'll just do that at home.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I have been there 2 or 3 times for sunday brunch and it has always been fabulous, I love it and the service is fantastic the food is great. We need to support and hope for more places like this in Jersey City!!! Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 3:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
We went here last night.

Food was good and the service was great.

They screwed up my order but fixed it really quickly and comped one of my martini's.

Atmosphere was mellow and the place wan't very busy but it was early on a Sunday evening.

We will definately go back again.

Posted on: 2008/12/8 20:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/10 17:51
Group:
Registered Users
What a relief. Finally you can get unique complex food without all the fuss. I have been to this restaurant a couple of times, and I must say every experience has been a truly great one. The food is phenomenal . In addition to the wonderful food, the waitstaff is extremely courteous and shows the perfect amount of attentiveness, and the decor is lovely. Overall, the atmosphere is very warm and inviting. There is a bit of an intimate vibe- perfect for a date or even dinner with friends. I really love this place and will definitely return. I highly recommend checking it out. Service is formal but comfortable. Wine by the glass prices are fair and offer some unique options. No complaints to offer.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 5:09

Delicious food, neighborhood charm -- Downtown bar & grill, Skinner's Loft serves up smiles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Delicious food, neighborhood charm
JC bar & grill Skinner's Loft serves up smiles

Diana Schwaeble
Hudson Reporter / Current
Managing Editor
07/29/2008

Resized Image
OUTDOOR DINING ? Skinner?s Loft, located at 146 Newark Ave. in Jersey City, features three areas to dine including the charming rooftop area.

Skinner's Loft, located at 146 Newark Ave. in Jersey City, gives locals a reason to go out. It features a sumptuous menu featuring comfort food favorites like their mini-burgers and decadent mac & cheese, plus an inventive drink menu.

The restaurant, which will reach its first-year anniversary in September, features all the characteristics that one wants from a neighborhood place: a friendly and knowledgeable staff, comfortable dining rooms, and fantastic food.

Open seven days a week, Skinner's Loft offers lunch, dinner, brunch, and dessert.

The atmosphere

On the street level of the restaurant, Skinner's Loft looks much like a quaint Irish pub, with its dark wood floors and tables and the bar tucked against the wall.

The first floor area looks quaint. Mini-vases with fresh flowers adorn each table, and simple salt and pepper shakers provide the only table decoration. Colorful modern art provides eye appeal and contrast for all the dark wood.

Yet for all of the dark colors, Skinner's Loft couldn't be described as somber. Instead, it has a cozy, homey feel. It is the kind of place you'd want to find on a vacation, particularly if you were feeling lonely. The efficient, friendly staff is all smiles, offering suggestions when asked. Yet they are never pushy.

In addition to the cozy first floor, there is a fancier second floor dining area. The second floor features high ceilings, beautiful wood cut-outs that show off the colored glass windows, and crystal chandeliers. The gorgeous second floor features an intimate dining space that is perfect for couples or larger gatherings.

Also open for dining is the seasonal rooftop area for those who like to dine alfresco.

Starters

On a recent Monday, Reporter correspondent Hilary Morris and I decide to sample a few of their popular dishes.

We began with a few of their specialty drinks, which are not only unusual but tasty, including the Bumpkin and the Pimm's Cup.

Morris tried the Bumpkin, which is blend of Grey Goose vodka, cucumber and honeydew melon juice.

"It's refreshing," said Morris. "The cucumber comes through most of all so it's not too sweet. I love that."

Also worth revisiting is the Pimm's Cup. This cocktail blends Pimm's liquor (an herb infused gin), fresh fruit, and lemonade together for a smooth not too sweet finish. This underrated liquor, which is most popular as a mixed cocktail in London, has an interesting citrus flavor that is pares well with food.

There is a lot to tempt diners including the complimentary basket of fresh warm bread, which included fresh rosemary bread.

Appetizers

Instead of listing appetizers, Skinner's has created a "small plates" menu, which also gives a nice sampling of menu items for those who want to try many things.

To start, we tried the BBQ baby back ribs and the mini lamb meatballs. The ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender and the sauce was a nice sweet/salty blend.

Also good was the lamb meatballs dish, which came on pita points with cucumber salad and yogurt dipping sauce. This was big enough to share if you are sampling a few things.

Next, we had the fantastic Filet Mignon sliders. Unless you are vegetarian, there is no reason to miss this! The Filet is tender and seasoned with saut?ed mushrooms and garlic butter. These mini-burgers are delicious. We loved them.

Other small plates include: the cutting board (a selection of meats, cheeses, olives); mussels in white wine broth; fried calamari; mac & cheese (featuring cheddar, Monterey jack, gruyere); seared seas scallops; grilled vegetable skewers; and more. They are reasonably priced from $6 to $14.

Entrees

There is a lot to satisfy on the dinner menu, no matter what your tastes or mood. They offer a wide selection of meats, pastas, and salads.

We decided on the stuffed chicken breast and the pan-seared crab cake. Before our entrees arrived, we split the three tomato & arugula salad.

The salad featured a nice mix of tomatoes - from the rich red sweetness of the plum tomato to the robust flavor of the beefsteak - that was lightly tossed in balsamic vinaigrette. The fresh greens provided a nice contrast to the tart wedge of blue cheese. This would probably be enough as a meal for the calories conscious, especially if pared with a starter. Or it would provide a nice appetizer before dinner.

Next came our dinners, which both had a nice presentation.

The crab was served on top of sweet corn succotash and piled high with shoestring fries. It was served with a lemon-chive remoulade and fresh lemon. The large portion of crab was deliciously seasoned and golden brown on the outside. The mix of sweet corn and diced vegetables (peas, carrots, zucchini), provided a nice texture to each bite. The salty shoestring fries gave the dish crunch.

The chicken was a feast for the eyes. It was stuffed with feta cheese, roasted tomatoes, and olives and was served on top of a crisp quinoa cake and came with saut?ed spinach.

Morris had no complaints about this Mediterranean dish. She said, "My entr?e was fantastic; it really was. And the quinoa cake was excellent."

The portions for entrees are generous. Other entrees include: sliced steak salad (topped with cheddar, potatoes, mushrooms); summer shell pasta (a blend of broccoli, squash, tomato, tiger shrimp and topped with an olive oil dressing); fettuccine in a dill cream sauce topped with pan seared salmon; grilled eggplant, tomato, and Portobello mushroom topped with goat cheese vinaigrette; and more. The entrees are reasonably priced from $12 to $22.

And...

Although we were happily stuffed, we couldn't resist sampling a few of their after-dinner suggestions that included a list of cordials.

We tried the Faretti Biscotti, which is a light, sweet caramel cordial and really delicious.

The Averna, a digestif, was slightly richer than the Biscotti. It tasted like espresso with a light mint aftertaste. "It's like Christmas," said Morris about the Averna, "Christmas in July."

We also sampled the mini-ice cream cones, which were presented to perfection. Guests are given nine mini-cones filled with an assortment of gelato and sorbet. On the night we were there, we had mango, watermelon, raspberry and lemon.

We both loved the mango, but Morris said she loves the idea of the mini-cones: "I love miniature food," she said. "I love the cuteness and the variety where you can try a lot of different things."

Other desserts are available including several chocolate temptations, crepes, and of course coffee and tea.

In addition to the items mentioned, Skinner's Loft also has a full-bar and large beer and wine menu.

All major credit cards are accepted and reservations are recommended for large parties.

Skinner's Loft is located at 146 Newark Ave. in Jersey City. For more information, call (201) 915-0600 or visit: skinnersloft.com.
Comments on this story can be sent to: current@hudsonreporter.com.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Earlier this week, I finally ventured into Skinner's Loft over on Newark Avenue for the very first time. I met my brother at the bar for a few drinks and some snacks.

Skinner's had 12 draft beers to choose from, and after enjoying a pint of Blue Moon Belgian-style white ale, I wasn't sure what I was in the mood for next.

Marie, the bartender, suggested I try La Chouffe and Stella Artois as she poured me samples of each into miniature glasses. It had been awhile since I had Stella Artois, but I had never tried La Chouffe (which ended up being quite good).

But then, when I said I was also thinking of grabbing something to eat at the bar, she mentioned a special they were having -- a "slider sampler" with 3 different kinds of mini-burgers, a trio of small beers and heaping pile of french fries all for 15 bucks.

That sounded fine by me, so I took the plunge.

The slider sampler featured a lamb burger with tzatziki (cucumber-yogurt-dill sauce), a turkey burger with a sort of remoulade and a beef burger with ketchup and pickles. All of the three-bite burgers were tasty, but I'd say the lamb one had to be my favorite.

The piping-hot portion of shoestring fries was generous. They tasted a-okay, especially when I added some ketchup for dipping.

The three-beer sampler hit the spot, and included Blue Moon, Anchor Steam and Smithwick's. Each was a nice compliment to the burgers, particularly the Smithwick's Irish red ale.

While I was chatting with Marie, the bartender, she admitted she wasn't a regular beer drinker herself, but she still made smart and helpful suggestions. She was friendly, efficient and personable.

When it comes to bars and restaurants in Downtown Jersey City, I am all about having a range of options. I am glad to see that Skinner's Loft has made its home here in 'hood and I see myself visiting the place again to drink or to dine.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I like Skinner's but not crazy about it but I like it. I'm never one to point out shills but the above post seems a little suspect. If it's not I apologize but others would back me up I think.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 18:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/10 17:51
Group:
Registered Users
We went last Saturday.....What a delightful time we had at this great restaurant! The service was outstanding. The waiters were courteous and so pleasant. They noticed when you needed another drink, water glasses were refilled, and they frequently checked to make sure if anything else was needed. You can't beat the food!! There was such a variety of choices, and they're all delicious. Every dish was made to perfection. I loved the specials, and you'll not find anyplace in NJ to top these fabulous, tasty dishes!! What a treat!! You'll love the inviting atmosphere, so bright and cheerful, you'll just want to stay all day. It was nice to see the owner mingling at the restaurant. He is a sharp , personable man. If you would like a real treat, visit the Skinners Loft. You won't be disappointed, you'll just want to return again and again.The combination of all of these elements results in a culinary experience ideal for diners with a passion for food at its purest. Thanks Skinners for a memorable time. Back soon.....

Posted on: 2008/7/16 17:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/30 21:51
Group:
Registered Users
My new favorite place to get a cheeseburger.

It's closer to me than Hamilton Ale House, which is almost identical. Pretty sure it's the same manager/owner.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 22:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to add that this is one of my favorite places to stop in for a drink & appetizer.

I've been by for dinner (one time) and brunch (one time) and both times the food was really good, but a little pricey. I had the duck ravioli for dinner (I think this is actually an appetizer) & I've also tried the crepes. Both were decent.

I love stopping by on a weekend afternoon to watch part of the game at the downstairs bar with a beer or wine. They also have some sort of "bar menu" that has a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.

The staff (bartenders, waiters, etc.) is always helpful & friendly.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 18:52
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
The cheese sticks at the bar are ridiculous. I think the last time i was there i ate 3 packs of them myself...

Posted on: 2008/7/11 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/10 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I go there when I can, usually sit at the bar or downstairs tables with friends and we all have good service, good food and great beer. I know most of the bartenders who I find quite nice, friendly and I've had the Chef, Frank, go out of his way to accommodate me when I asked for something at lunch not on the menu at that time.

I highly recommend you try Skinner's out and decide for yourself as many have already.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 22:23
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/10 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I went to skinners last night. I had a great meal, decent service, and enjoyed a great beer menu. I recommend for everyone to give it a try.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Went there last night for the second time - was really great. We celebrated a friend's 40th Birthday party up on the outdoor deck - was the perfect summer evening! The food and service was great.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 14:43

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017