Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

(1) 2 »

Re: Bakers Boys Cafe being turned into a new restaurant/cafe???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Very cool. Thanks for the details JCI!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 19:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/13 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcindependent wrote:
The rumor stated above by HamiltonParkJC is indeed true:

Rue Viet plans to open in this location next month.

OK, that is AWESOME. I'd go out of my way to grab a bahn mi.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
The rumor stated above by HamiltonParkJC is indeed true:

Rue Viet plans to open in this location next month.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:44

Bakers Boys Cafe being turned into a new restaurant/cafe???

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/15 14:31
From Coles St.
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know what this new place is going to be? I live right down the street and have been watching the construction the last couple of weeks. It is formerly the Bakers Boy Cafe on the corner of Newark Ave. and Monmouth. It now has wood paneling on the outside and looks like it might be something cute, anyone know what this is going to be???

Posted on: 2010/9/26 18:40

Re: Cafe Nia
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
Wow! Banh mi would be great! Any idea when it will open? This, in addition to Bonchon, make me very happy!

Posted on: 2010/9/13 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
The rumor is a Vietnamese soup and sandwich joint. Good pho and bahn mi with a casual neighborhood vibe sounds perfect for that little spot. I'll be very happy if this turns out to be the case.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what might be replacing Cafe Nia? I saw some guys working on the facade and it looked pretty nice (you know, from what you can tell from wood on the exterior of a building...).

Posted on: 2010/9/13 1:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
When I moved to JC, I really wanted to like Cafe Nia. It seemed cozy, affordable, and the sandwiches were well made. I was rooting for them.

But the hours were way off, and they were never opened when I needed them. The space in there was also awkward, and if there were more than two parties, they had no idea how to it fit more people comfortably. As someone mentioned, the staff was eh, all right. Not the warmest people. All this deterred me from actually caring about a place that seemed to care so little about itself too.

These were the same feelings I had about Bagua. Loved it the first time I went. But by the time I got home from work, they were already closed, and when I left for work in the morning they were not yet opened. Who did they want to serve?

Both these places had potential. Create a book club and meet there. Diversify your menu (as someone mentioned, no espresso or cookies at any of them). Host a poetry slam. Bagua could have set up a station at the Grove Plaza during the summer months with some refreshments.

None of these places raged against the dying of the light.

Brilliantly articulated Platanos!

Posted on: 2010/2/27 4:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/27 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
When I moved to JC, I really wanted to like Cafe Nia. It seemed cozy, affordable, and the sandwiches were well made. I was rooting for them.

But the hours were way off, and they were never opened when I needed them. The space in there was also awkward, and if there were more than two parties, they had no idea how to it fit more people comfortably. As someone mentioned, the staff was eh, all right. Not the warmest people. All this deterred me from actually caring about a place that seemed to care so little about itself too.

These were the same feelings I had about Bagua. Loved it the first time I went. But by the time I got home from work, they were already closed, and when I left for work in the morning they were not yet opened. Who did they want to serve?

Both these places had potential. Create a book club and meet there. Diversify your menu (as someone mentioned, no espresso or cookies at any of them). Host a poetry slam. Bagua could have set up a station at the Grove Plaza during the summer months with some refreshments.

None of these places raged against the dying of the light.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped in on the way to work one time for a coffee.

Couple of days later - same time - went to stop in again but they were closed.

Coming home once, not particularly late. Thought I'd stop in for a sandwich. Closed.

After that I kind of put them out of my mind.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 23:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Surly is the word that comes to mind when I think of Cafe Nia.

I patronized occasionally because I live nearby, but I always felt unwelcomed, they never smiled, and I felt like I was inconveniencing them. Ha! I remember saying to my wife...like "do they want my business or not?"

Although it's not a GREAT location, you would be surprised how much foot traffic Monmouth Street gets. I know because I actually counted once for a business plan.

Also you cannot just have a "body" there working at your small business. My favorite businesses in the area which I frequent as often as I can, I really like the owners/the people that work there.

Madame Claude is wonderful because of the wonderful and beautiful owners who are always there....same for Another Man's Treasure. I could, and have sat and talked to the owners for hours. And for that reason, I am very fond of them and tell everyone I know about them. So, to me it's not surprising that they succeed. If you're going to be a whiney, surly unhappy looking person, chances are no one will want to support your business. I won't miss Cafe Nia because I think something better could open up and I hope one does. Also keep in mind that the streetscape is set to continue all the way up Newark. Things MIGHT shape up down there.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I agree that Basic is good. However, Basic is ALWAY for the hours they post. They do have espresso, and they do have a larger variety.

A lot of valid points made. I would add that they did not cultivate an in and out (grab and go) take out business like Basic, Made With Love, every pizza (sandwich/sub) place, every chinese food place and Wonder Bagels have done. An expresso machine, delivery, consistent schedule and dinner hours might have all helped towards this end. Promotional take out menus, meal take-out specials, communication with local businesses, faxed orders to pick-up programs and specific food that is easy to eat on the run all would have helped IMHO.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 21:19
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
GG:
Quote:
You don't have to offer dinner to survive as a restaurant. Basic is a good example of that, they only have breakfast and lunch food and they are still open. The food at Nia's was soooo much better. Who cares that they didn't have an espresso machine?! Their breakfast was cheap, prepared well and their regular coffee was good too. I didn't mind their hours, if you can't get your ass out of the house for brunch by 3pm that's your problem.
You don't have to offer dinner to survive as a restaurant. Basic is a good example of that, they only have breakfast and lunch food and they are still open. The food at Nia's was soooo much better. Who cares that they didn't have an espresso machine?! Their breakfast was cheap, prepared well and their regular coffee was good too. I didn't mind their hours, if you can't get your ass out of the house for brunch by 3pm that's your problem.

Ah! But isn't that a problem! I'm glad they worked for you. I'm glad their hours fit your schedule, but the proceeding five people (all customers at one point might I add) had an issue with their hours. That's a 1 in 5 complete satisfactory ratio.

I agree that Basic is good. However, Basic is ALWAY for the hours they post. They do have espresso, and they do have a larger variety.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/2/26 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It was never open. People work all day.

You need the dinner crowd and delivery to make it in this town.

It's disrespectful to your clients to have inconsistent hours.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Damian wrote:
Cafe Nia was great, always great food. They made everything fresh on the spot. I have never been disappointed there. However their opening hours killed them. By closing at 3pm on weekends you are missing that late afternoon crowd. By closing by 5pm on weekdays you loose the after work eaters. By closing ah hoc for a week at a time a few times a year would not help sustain a consistency need to run a business.

I would eat there twice a week but frankly during the last 2 months of them being open you would show up and half the time it would be closed.

There is enough foot traffic in that area to keep a business going. Look at Madam Claudes, Abbeys, slightly off the beaten path (more so than Cafe Nia) but they make it work.

I hope Cafe Nia comes back or someone with a similar business model because it will work, maybe after a few tweaks but it will work.

I liked Cafe Nia alot...the owner was always cool to me and I thought their food/coffee was tastey. I def. agree the operating hours is what killed them...very inconsistant!

Posted on: 2010/2/26 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/11 1:38
Group:
Registered Users
unpleasant owner. when i asked him if i could hang a flyer in his window for an art exhibit- had an attitude. don't know why...maybe having a bad day.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 15:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/31 20:08
Group:
Registered Users
Cafe Nia was great, always great food. They made everything fresh on the spot. I have never been disappointed there. However their opening hours killed them. By closing at 3pm on weekends you are missing that late afternoon crowd. By closing by 5pm on weekdays you loose the after work eaters. By closing ah hoc for a week at a time a few times a year would not help sustain a consistency need to run a business.

I would eat there twice a week but frankly during the last 2 months of them being open you would show up and half the time it would be closed.

There is enough foot traffic in that area to keep a business going. Look at Madam Claudes, Abbeys, slightly off the beaten path (more so than Cafe Nia) but they make it work.

I hope Cafe Nia comes back or someone with a similar business model because it will work, maybe after a few tweaks but it will work.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 13:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry to see Cafe Nia go, but to be honest, they didn't seem to have a good business model.

1. They were never open.
-I have that problem with a lot of businesses around here. Open, and stay open. Cafe Nia was closed by like 4 on Sat or Sun.They missed at least myself as a customer.

2. Options. Cafe Nia was not true to the name. They didn't have an expresso maker?! You can't have a Cafe' if you only have coffee.

3. The staff: Don't get me wrong, they were nice, but there were no smiles, and I don't feel like they went out of their way to really give you a good experience.

4. Community: You see sweetie, she comments and advertises on this blog. You see, Buy Rite, they're here too. If you are on an awkward corner, you have to let people know were you're awkwardly located.

Again, I did like Cafe Nia, but they didn't fail because downtown is set up for failure. They failed because they failed.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 3:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/17 21:15
Group:
Banned
Quote:
It seems that the Downtown/Ward E restaurants are failing but the rest of the city is doing well. Rita & Joe's along with Just Sonny's and Renato's to name a few. Although Presto's on Sussex has been doing quite well all of these years. How is John's Pizzeria doing when I went in their I wasn't impressed and the wait staff seemed timid or unsure of dining precedures, and the pizza was room temperture and bland. I'd like to give them another shot their Times Square location is terrific.

Heights, I can see what you're saying about non Downtown spots seeming to do well. Either Puccini's is hurting and has tapped into their stash to attract new clientele and leased out the billboard at Hoboken Ave/139 and The Boulevard or they're doing very well and using profits to increase mindshare. I'm sure that billboard doesn't come cheap.

Dropped by Just Sonny's two days ago. They were booming at lunch.

Try John's again when they're busy. There is something about their pizza and that of La Rustique that makes it have a very fast half-life. If it gets cold, it's ruined. John's has killer weekday drink specials. Their BKLYN tap is pretty clean and the pints are 2 or 3 bucks... can't recall. Glasses of house wine are also very reasonable during those times. I give them credit from placing a pickup order once; I LOVE their brick oven roasted veg assortment but was advised against it for pickup as it would be "not worth it" once I got home. I guess they could go the extra mile and tell people it's the same story for their pizza, but that would be foolhardy.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

2DogDoll wrote:
Lots of good restaurants have gone by the wayside in the past number of years. Madame Claude's is the exception and not the rule. And even MC's has cut down on its menu from when it first opened.

As long as JC continues to be a bedroom community for NYC, small business will always suffer. People "talk the talk but don't walk the walk" when it comes spending money in local restaurants and shops.

It seems that the Downtown/Ward E restaurants are failing but the rest of the city is doing well. Rita & Joe's along with Just Sonny's and Renato's to name a few. Although Presto's on Sussex has been doing quite well all of these years. How is John's Pizzeria doing when I went in their I wasn't impressed and the wait staff seemed timid or unsure of dining precedures, and the pizza was room temperture and bland. I'd like to give them another shot their Times Square location is terrific.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
You should get past Grove Street once in a while...Madame Claude's does great and it is a block further west -- Abbey's does great and is right next door (he has a lot of takeout & Delivery) -- Nha Trang is always busy and they are right there too - as are a bunch other things.

Cafe Nia wasn't even open at night and on weekends - people have to work weekdays - I don't know what that place was about.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I don't think there is enough foot traffic around Cafe Nia to sustain that business except on maybe saturday and sunday mornings.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think there is enough foot traffic around Cafe Nia to sustain that business except on maybe saturday and sunday mornings.

There is a lot of foot traffic at Grove 24/7. I think a ice 24 hour diner might be apropos.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

2DogDoll wrote:
Lots of good restaurants have gone by the wayside in the past number of years. Madame Claude's is the exception and not the rule. And even MC's has cut down on its menu from when it first opened.

As long as JC continues to be a bedroom community for NYC, small business will always suffer. People "talk the talk but don't walk the walk" when it comes spending money in local restaurants and shops.

The restaurant trade is hurting nationwide because folks have reduced amounts of discretionary income spending money more often on bills like the mortgage, electricity...... and oh yea increasing taxes!!! (see the video of the peanut butter and jelly lady from last nights council meeting on the tax/budget thread)

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:40
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I gladly spend money in Jersey City ....I think entrepreneurs have to appreciate that they are competing with Manhattan restaurants so who wants to talk 4 -6 long blocks for a meal. I want convenience so I frequent stuff near Grove PATH.

That completely assumes that everyone lives near the PATH/Grove St. I'm much closer to Cafe Nia, Madame Claudes, White Star, etc than to anything on Grove St. The problem with Baker Boys/Cafe Nia has always more to do with the size and layout of the space, the type of food they had the space to cook and the hours they wanted to be open than with its location, IMO.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I gladly spend money in Jersey City ....I think entrepreneurs have to appreciate that they are competing with Manhattan restaurants so who wants to talk 4 -6 long blocks for a meal. I want convenience so I frequent stuff near Grove PATH.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The success of Madame Claude shows that people will make the trip if it's worth it.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see how all these small restaurants, cafes can survive in Jersey City - too spread out. They need to concentrate around Grove Street where there is plenty of foot traffic. Or closer in, at least.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
We walked by last weekend and the owner told us that she is indeed, closing. She said that another business (a restaurant of some sort, as far as she knows) will be taking over the location. I'm sad. I really liked Cafe Nia!

Posted on: 2010/2/25 20:10

(1) 2 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017