Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fishing on the Pier
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, you do. It's not really a license though, they call it a registry, and it is free. Here's the link: http://www.nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry/

People under age 16 are exempt. Also, if you don't have it, you are probably not going to get in trouble, especially fishing from land, and especially in Jersey City which is a place that Game and Wildlife officials are not known to randomly roam around checking for that sort of thing.

The ship store across the Morris Canal at Liberty Landing Marina has some basic fishing stuff and there is also Moe's Tackle in JC Heights. For a bigger selection of stuff there is Capitol Bait and Tackle on 36th Street, really convenient to the 33rd St stop.

Posted on: 2014/9/17 1:34

Re: Fishing on the Pier
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/28 22:28
From The Village, Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
You don't need a license to fish in the Hudson

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:02

Fishing on the Pier
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Hi folks - I'm interested in trying out fishing on the pier. I assume I'll need a fishing license? If my family of four goes to fish, do I need four fishing licenses, or just a "family" license (does it exist)?

Besides the other obvious (poles, bait, etc), anything else I need to have?

TIA.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:54

Re: FISHERMEN VERSUS OUTDOOR WEDDING PARTIES ON PIER
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Woodsy wrote:
I don't see what the big fuss is about 27.5/28 strippers. Both are legal. I mean, I can see if you're getting into the 17.5/18 range where there's a distinction but come on. So when is this JCList stripper party going to happen?

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife requires 28 inches not 27.5?. You will pay a hefty fine for a fish under 28"

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2007/maregsum07.pdf

The real Stripper Run does not start until late September a party could be held then at one of the piers

DTG

Posted on: 2007/8/24 12:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/5 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see what the big fuss is about 27.5/28 strippers. Both are legal. I mean, I can see if you're getting into the 17.5/18 range where there's a distinction but come on. So when is this JCList stripper party going to happen?

Posted on: 2007/8/24 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
Quote:

silversailor wrote:
FISHERMEN VERSUS WEDDING GUESTS

Second thing, move that awful stabbed-in-the-back statue at Exchange Place. I'd vote for someone for mayor if his or her only campaign promise was to move that statue.

EthanCrane

I'll forgive you for your hatred of fishing but before you go around removing any Statues open up a History Book and join the rest of us American that read more than one book a year!!

That Statue is for the victims of Katyn Massacre

The Katyn massacre, also known as the Katyn Forest massacre (Polish: zbrodnia katyńska, literally 'Katyń crime'), was a mass execution of Polish citizens ordered by Soviet authorities in 1940. Estimates of the number of executed persons ranges from 15,000 to 21,768). Polish POWs and prisoners were murdered in Katyn forest, Kalinin (Tver) and Kharkiv prisons and elsewhere. About 8,000 of the victims were officers taken prisoner during the 1939 invasion of Poland, the rest being Polish citizens who had been arrested for allegedly being "intelligence agents, gendarmes, spies, saboteurs, landowners, factory owners and officials." Since Poland's conscription system required every unexempted university graduate to become a reserve officer, the Soviets were thus able to round up much of the Polish intelligentsia, as well as the Jewish, Ukrainian, Georgian and Belarusian intelligentsia of Polish citizenship.

The 1943 discovery of mass graves at Katyn Forest by Germany, after its armed forces had occupied the site in 1941, precipitated a rupture of diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and the Polish government-in-exile in London. The Soviet Union continued to deny responsibility for the massacres until 1990, when it acknowledged that the NKVD secret police had in fact committed the massacres and the subsequent cover-up. The Russian government has admitted Soviet responsibility for the massacres, although it does not classify them as war crimes or as acts of genocide, as this would have necessitated the prosecution of surviving perpetrators, which is what the Polish government has requested. It also does not classify the dead as the victims of Stalinist repressions, in effect barring their formal posthumous rehabilitation.

Any questions ????

DTG

Posted on: 2007/8/24 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

silversailor wrote:

The first thing we should do is ban fishing on that pier, and every pier in town. The fisherman leave them so rancid that no one else can enjoy them.

Second thing, move that awful stabbed-in-the-back statue at Exchange Place. I'd vote for someone for mayor if his or her only campaign promise was to move that statue.

Posted on: 2007/8/24 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Nice pic of a striper there Falcon

Posted on: 2007/8/24 0:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/30 18:47
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Hey DTG does that striper look legal to you? Maybe we need to contact fish and wildlife to visit those guys down there. Also....I dont think you have ever eaten anything out of the Hudson b4

Posted on: 2007/8/22 16:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/17 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Since when do you have to get a City Permit for the Hyatt
Pier. Is JC actually issuing permits and making people pay for them...I would like to know if anyone has requested.
and paid for a City Permit to use this pier.

Posted on: 2007/8/22 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Who said the Hyatt wants or should gain control of the Pier?

If a couple want to apply and pay the city for a permit to use th e pier exclusively for a short amount of time then I see no problem with this. Otherwise it is a public pier and its available for everyone to enjoy.

Posted on: 2007/8/22 13:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I hear that sushi is very popular at wedding receptions.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/8/22 4:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and i got married at the Hyatt last year and one of the things we had to accept was that we were on a public pier. So during our vows you could see a jogger running by or some people watching from the distance. The Hyatt does have their own area of the pier that is not public which is raised and walled off (with a 4 foot wall). So if people were sitting all they could see was us and the view.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Can't we all just get along!

Posted on: 2007/8/21 22:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 19:00
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
I happened to be riding my bike there as the wedding was starting. At least I think it was that wedding. There were some Indian Godess type statues strewn about. Anyhow, as I was about to ride down the pier a rent-a-cop stopped me...said there was a wedding and they'd gotten a permit for the pier.

My point is that maybe the city restricts how much of the pier the event planners can apply for a permit.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matchjames wrote:
i took a walk down there one evening with friends and we were chased off the pier by guests. "There's a wedding going on!"... "Oh? and this is a public pier". We stayed 5 mins to enjoy the view and wished them well...

did you inform them it's a public pier and if so what was their response?

Posted on: 2007/8/21 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
i took a walk down there one evening with friends and we were chased off the pier by guests. "There's a wedding going on!"... "Oh? and this is a public pier". We stayed 5 mins to enjoy the view and wished them well...

Posted on: 2007/8/21 20:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/4 3:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I was cruising the waterfront in front of the Hyatt one evening while those fisherman were holding court. There was also a wedding going on. My impression is that if anyone asked them to leave, they'd laugh.

While I sat, one of them caught a "Mud Fish". It was the ugliest mutant fish I've ever seen. It makes sense that this fish would call this stretch of the Hudson its home.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
we considered hyatt for our wedding ceremony and if i remember correctly they showed us two spaces inside the hotel. They also said we could do it outside but that we couldn't reserve the space and that wedding groups from elsewhere often came to take pictures.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I can't comment on what the pier looks like after a wedding but any time you go down there it is gross from the fishing-- blood, guts, dead fish, half-dead flopping around fish, guys peeing in the planters

I am not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to fish but it seems that it's a little out of control to me. I am afraid I am going to get "hooked" by some one casting off, or slip and fall on the mess out there

I have said this in another thread but it seems that people think that public space is actually their own private area to do as they please - a little consideration of others would go a long way

also I agree that if the Marriott rented me that space and they were out there fishing bride-zilla wouldn't even begin to explain my reaction

Posted on: 2007/8/21 18:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Have any of you guys actually been at the pier this summer? Blood and guts everywhere you want to sit. Disgusting. I don't mind their fishing there, but can't they be a little more considerate and clean up after themselves?

The wedding receptions aren't any better --broken champagne glasses on the ground and nobody bothered to clean up for weeks.

This is a PUBLIC space, use it however you like, but show some respect for others too.

As for the Hyatt, you can learn a lesson from Goldman Sachs, they maintain their waterfront.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 18:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
isn't jesus's symbol a fish?

isn't finding someone significant concidered a good catch? isn't an objective of a divorce to gut each other?

I think every wedding should hire a fisherman to remind them of why they are getting married.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I would honestly be a little annoyed with the hotel, especially if they didn't fill me in on the possibility that there would be people fishing 40 feet from my ceremony, especially if the hotel charged me to use the space that actually is free public space anyway.

If the hotel doesn't charge for the space, then I would be more accepting of the guys there... as if I was getting married in a park or something.. can't guarantee privacy.

Being that I was a bit of a bridezilla myself, I probably would have asked one of my very charming and cute girlfriends if they could politely ask the guys to move until after the ceremony... not that they have to, but if they wouldn't mind.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
if its a public space why should they move?

Posted on: 2007/8/21 16:48

FISHERMEN VERSUS OUTDOOR WEDDING PARTIES ON PIER

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/17 17:25
Group:
Registered Users

A friend of mine told me about a scene he witnessed at the
end of the Hyatt Pier last Saturday. On the end of the
pier were several fishermen casting lines, cleaning bait,
catching and gutting fish. A typical fishing scene.

Forty feet inboard on the pier, but well within sight of the
fishing crew a wedding was taking place. Evidently the hotel uses this outdoor veranda for weddings on weekends. It is a great view lot.

His comment was it\'s a shame gutted fish, bait and fisherman had to be so close to a celebration ceremony.

I told him that the people fishing had every right to be
even though they were not invited to the wedding.

Question? Should fisherman move to another location on the pier during weddings, as a consideration to the wedding party or stay their positions for the best fishing.

Wonder if wedding planners ever think of this.FISHERMEN VERSUS WEDDING PARTIES

Posted on: 2007/8/21 16:40

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017