Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Question About Bergen Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Hate that bus, you mean the Bergen Avenue bus, right? Totally unprofessional drivers, infrequent and unpredictable service, like two busses on the whole route, every bus packed to the rafters. Did I say rude-a// drivers? I've been booted off that bus because I asked the driver not to text while he was driving. NO KIDDING! I worked it so he ejected me at my stop. But people were looking at me like I had two heads because I expected him not to curse at me over it.

I have been living in McGinley Square since 2005. The Vietnamese restaurant is really good. I like having a Dunkin Donuts (same block), even though the coffee is just ok. Lee Sims Chocolates are outstanding (same block). Couple of super 99 cent stores, and don't say you don't like getting your toilet paper and paper towels at 70% of regular retail.

Neida's breakfast/lunch counter and bakery has great cafe con leche at $1.25. Hello. Ed's Salvage Co., community thrift store, on Fairmount, is wonderful. Laundry at Monticello and Fairmount is clean and run like a machine (only good one around there, imo.) Imago Salon (Bergen at Reed) has a full line of Aveda products. Next door is moving in a new Italian deli and grocery in a month or so; can't wait.

There's lots more to love.

If you're on FB, join the group called "Uptown Crew" and share the love.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 2:48

Question About Bergen Avenue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
What is Bergen Avenue like these days, particularly south of Montgomery Street (Fairview Avenue, Miller Branch Library, Oxford Avenue, Grant Avenue, Orient Avenue, Ege/Kearney Avenues, Morton Place, Snyder High, Van Nostrand Avenue) and how is Bergen Avenue IBOA service?

Posted on: 2010/1/11 2:32

Re: McGinley Square
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
I live in McG sq, a block off of bergen, north of montgomery, and have been living in the neighborhood for 2+ years. We bought our 1700 sq foot house for under $400k, and saw plenty in the area in the 300-400 range, price depends on condition. I would imagine that giving the economic climate property is currently selling for a bit less. Olean ave is a bit far from Mcginley sq, so I cant speak to the specifics of that particular area. In the time I've been living here I have heard of at least 2 robberies and a shoothing on summit, b/w montgomery and academy, it is certainly not the safest part of the neighborhood, In general I would stay west of summit and east of westside ave. The bar and restaurant selection in walkable distance is pretty sad, particularly if you are coming from Greenpoint. There are 3 dive bars (including the JSQ Pub), and standard takeout food, but not much else (besides a great vietnamese place on bergen, just south of montgomery). The walk to the Path is very convenient, you can easily get to Herald Sq in the city in 35 mins from Mcginley Sq, including the walk to the path (longer if you are south of Montgomery). The neighborhood really varies by block, definitely better to live on one with high owner occupancy. I wouldn't say that there is a really strong sense of community here, but that probably varies by block also. Good luck

Posted on: 2010/1/7 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i lived on summit between academy and vroom from november 08-dec 09 and it was a tough area. my car got broken into in january 09 and they rummaged through my stuff. i would get called names while walking my dog at night, constantly had people pissing on my porch, and the block is just busy. people walk summit avenue all night long. i'd go for a side street over a busy main street (there's only parking on one side of summit, and the lots off of academy st. are kind of grimey.)

the plus side to the neighborhood is the convenience of being a really short distance from journal square and downtown, and also the 24 hour stores nearby (walgreens, rite aid, now 7-11, and others)

i also went to high school at st dominic academy on duncan and jfk, so for years i walked through the neighborhood on a daily basis and it has made some good changes, but there is still much of the bad element which won't just go away no matter how many buildings get turned into condos.

the walk to the path in the morning should be relatively safe - a lot of other commuters and the catholic high school kids getting around. the walk home probably won't be so bad either. after 11pm, just be cautious and aware of your surroundings.

the astor bar is relatively close to both locations, good pizza, somewhat political type crowd (cops, firemen, city employees, etc.)

i do miss mcginley square a lot despite the tough spots. i just moved downtown and while i am really enjoying this neighborhood, i miss having a yard and some of the local businesses.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 4:44

McGinley Square

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/11 21:00
From Brooklyn
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

I am looking to buy in the area, I have seen two places I like 1 on Summit Ave btwn. Vroom and Wayne and 1 on Olean Ave off of Duncan. I am looking for some feedback on the area from people who actually live there. My husband and I are in our early 30's and I currently live in Greenpoint Brooklyn and work near MSG. I could care less about the ethnic make-up of the people there what I want to know is - is it a safe neighborhood? Are there any bars worth going to in walking distance? Is it a kid friendly place? Are the public schools good? How is the walk to the PATH? Is there a good sense of community? What's a reasonable price for a single family home in that area? Thanks for your time!

Posted on: 2010/1/7 4:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Quote:

croft wrote:

if you're willing to join in our crusade and become a pioneer, welcome aboard! i'm always up for making a new neighbor friend.

pioneer

? noun 1 a person who explores or settles in a new region. 2 a developer of new ideas or techniques. 3 a member of an infantry group preparing roads or terrain for the main body of troops.

I wonder, as someone living here nearly 30 years, which defininition of pioneer do you most closely associate with yourself? Since this is an already populated area, what would I or other existing residents of this area get categorized as? Savages? One in need of Christian indoctrination? Or perhaps we are like the buffalo - something to be eliminated....

No need for all the drama -- it's a very common term for a gentrifier, but I'm guessing you already know that. Say whatever you want about gentrification, but I think most people who are coming into this area are not trying to force anyone out, expect for the assholes who break into cars. Oh, and the people who don't clean up after their dogs.

You are correct, I do know what it means, however I've seen far more dramatic stuff here than little ol' me. But I always find the term vaguely offensive somehow. I do agree as to the dog poop problem. As for the butt-wipes who break into the cars, I think most are junkies/opportunists looking for a promising target. As for "Hobokenization" I don't want it - too homogeneous. It has an odd, Invasion of the Body Snatchers feel to it.... When I moved to Jersey City it was diverse and cheap! : ) I felt comfortable and stayed.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 19:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Hi newinnjjc, here's my take:

I live off Summit and Magnolia, near the JSQ path, but I walk or bicycle every day to work at Saint Peter's. Some of my colleagues (professors and staff) also live in the area and commute by foot. I don't find the walk to be scary or sketchy. My biggest fear is definitely being run over on my bicycle by a motorist (either on Summit or Baldwin). The latest I work is usually 8:00, but as a woman walking home by myself, I've never been bothered during these hours.

As for living in the neighborhood, I feel safer and more at home than when I lived downtown (it was the edge of downtown, granted). As others have stated, it's all about your neighbors, and I have been fortunate to meet some good people from very different backgrounds who have been welcoming, helpful, and just plain entertaining.

As others have warned, beware the negativity you read on JCList. I like to remind people that back in the day those who lived on Bergen Hill and in the big houses you still see on the Boulevard used to look down on the so-called dirty and crime-ridden Irish and Italian neighborhoods downtown. This city has been in flux for a long time -- downtown snobbery be damned!

Posted on: 2009/3/10 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Quote:

croft wrote:

if you're willing to join in our crusade and become a pioneer, welcome aboard! i'm always up for making a new neighbor friend.

pioneer

? noun 1 a person who explores or settles in a new region. 2 a developer of new ideas or techniques. 3 a member of an infantry group preparing roads or terrain for the main body of troops.

I wonder, as someone living here nearly 30 years, which defininition of pioneer do you most closely associate with yourself? Since this is an already populated area, what would I or other existing residents of this area get categorized as? Savages? One in need of Christian indoctrination? Or perhaps we are like the buffalo - something to be eliminated....

No need for all the drama -- it's a very common term for a gentrifier, but I'm guessing you already know that. Say whatever you want about gentrification, but I think most people who are coming into this area are not trying to force anyone out, expect for the assholes who break into cars. Oh, and the people who don't clean up after their dogs.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 19:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
i live on summit near vroom st. it's not quite mcginley square, not quite journal square, but i'm in the midst of it.

i had my car broken into in january here, the only bad thing that's happened so far. i love my apartment and the location as far as getting to work and school. i also attended high school on duncan and the blvd at st. doms, so i've seen the years of changes. the area has improved tremendously, but we're still many years from "hobokenization."

pioneer

Posted on: 2009/3/10 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Used to live on Tuers between Vroom and Mercer. Never had any problems walking back and forth from the PATH. It's definitely not a bad neighborhood, but in a certain sense, it's not a good one either. That is, unless you're really into fast food, the options in the area (i.e., 4 block radius) are pretty limited. I moved downtown a few years ago and immediately was much happier with my surroundings. Plus, I felt like I was paying far too much - $850 for a very shabby one bedroom. YMMV.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I completely agree with what dntshootthepianist has to say. I don't visit this forum as much because of the constant, mostly unfounded negative comments of this area. I have been living on Fairview between Bergen and Jfk going on ten years now and couldn't be happier with my choice. My neighbors are awesome, we watch each others' kids, we care for each others' pets, we help fix each others' property and we hang out at the park tavern in the summer! I would like to see a nice coffee shop open up at some point, but I am completely happy with what we have now and I appreciate both the cultural and economic diversity this area has to offer. I actually think this area is great for commuting to the city. You can walk to the path, take a bus to journal square or into port authority, or bike it and lock it. In the evenings there are always cabbies waiting for you, but I have walked home on Bergen and not had a problem in the time I have lived here. Good luck and pm me if you have any questions.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 15:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/16 14:24
Group:
Registered Users
Well, before I checked out the area- the boards did make it seem like one of those "prepare yourself for the Thunderdome" sort of places. Obviously, checking out the area helped things as well. Thanks for all the input - it really made a difference.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 15:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
i usually don't respond to the "the west side of jersey city is a skanky war zone where you will be attacked by roving gangs of pit bulls and gangsters the second you get out of your car" threads, because most of the time people who contribute to those threads already have their minds made up. but i'll put my two cents in on this one for newinnjjc.

we too are on fairmount between jfk and west side. we've only been here for about three months but we really dig it. we moved here from san francisco, so we are used to neighborhoods that look like downtown. my perspective is not that of an individual who just moved here from east Baghdad and thinks any day when a car bomb doesn't go off is a lovely day. we have a huge house and parking for two cars. we have a good sized yard. the neighbors on our block are amazing. most of them are homeowners who really care about the well-being of the neighborhood. a lot of them have been here for some time, so perhaps they have seen the neighborhood when it was not so nice and have a vested interest in keeping it nice (or getting it nice).

as others have stated, jersey city's crime problem is not confined to one area. all i can relate is my personal experience. neither my wife nor i have had any problems with our personal safety or our property. granted, our lifestyle is such that we are not out roaming around at 3am, so i cannot attest to the behavior of our neighbors at that late hour, but from 7am to 11pm we have not had any issues.

there are some culinary gems out this way. there is also a lot of not so wonderful food, but there are other threads where that issue is discussed in detail.

long term, sure, i'd love to see some of the liquor stores and 99 cent stores on west side turn into establishments we'd be more inclined to visit. we think there is a core of good people here and we believe that the area is on its way up.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 15:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on The Blvd. just below McGinley Square for 10 years before anything was gentrified. I never had a problem, well, except for once the cops chased and caught a couple of drug dealers right in the middle of my backyard Lobster party, but hey?it?s a City:o)

The Supermarkets aren?t very good, but you can get milk and the essentials at C-Town. Galore Foods is overpriced (he?s been robbing the old ladies for years). Neida?s used to have a great Cuban, The VIP has a nice Cheesecake, I think Lee Sims chocolate is still there, and you?re close to Blvd. Drinks ? need I say more?

Seriously though, my apartment had an alarm system which I recommend. I didn?t have a car, but my roommates did park in our driveway. We never had a problem, but again, it was a driveway with a motion detector spotlight. And, I walked home from the Path at 9:00 every night. But, this was along the Blvd. with lots of traffic. I wouldn?t go strolling down dark side streets late at night, but there are always cabs outside the Path. So, keep your wits about you?.Consider yourself a target always and use your Noodle if you have one. And, if you don?t, stick to Downtown.

p.s. I wouldn't walk along Bergen Avenue too late at night.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 15:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/16 14:24
Group:
Registered Users
as long as there is somewhere to park my car ...I've noticed the only real complaints Ive seen are about car breakins.
And thanks itgirl - I was a little freaked out and then after reading your post I realized that my first instincts about the area were on point.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 15:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/25 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
I live closer to Kennedy on Fairmount and have needed to walk at all different hours of the night and never had any challenges. Clearly the neighborhood is "in development" but even on Fairmount, there are 3 buildings that went condo in the past 2 years. I think it's a great neighborhood and I have enjoyed living there for the past 4 years.

newinnjjc - there are quite a few private lots for parking, I haven't seen too many garages.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
It's a good neighborhood to live in. And there's a cool new thrift shop just opened up on Fairmount between Bergen and Monticello.

Ed's Salvage Co. is at 264 Fairmount, next to the hair salon. Ed's carrying furniture, housewares and nice clothes -- men's women's and children's, plus toys, miscellaneous electronics and sundry stuff. A portion of proceeds go to amFAR (American Foundation for AIDS Research).

Ed's from the neighborhood and a very cool guy. And, the livingroom kind of setting is turning into a chill spot to stop by and meet up with friends. He's going to put up a community bulletin board.

Ed's Salvage Co. opened two Sundays back and a DJ from the block spun some 70s tunes for us. Niiice.

Come by, and tell him his friend in the back sent you.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 5:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a single female and have lived on Duncan just off Bergen for over a year, and haven't had any encounters that i consider out of the ordinary for city life. Yes there are occasionally people on the street, it's not any different from the East Village, where I've lived before. There is plenty of transportation if you are coming home late at night from JSQ--most of the time, I just take a cab after 10 p.m. I walk to the PATH train to work most days, but the buses run pretty frequently in the morning.

The Duncan Projects are nowhere near here--they're about a 20 minute walk, and there are projects in every urban neighborhood, including the "gentrified" areas of Fort Greene, the East Village, Williamsburg, etc. Some of the scariest projects I've ever seen are the ones on Hoyt in the middle of tony Boerum Hill with million $$ brownstones. Again, urban living folks.

I find the area to be very (unexpectedly!) convenient. The supermarkets seem to be getting a hint and improving, and there is easy access to everything you would enjoy downtown or in the city. I find it hard to believe that the naysayers on the board actually live here. I'm glad I didn't know about this board until after I moved or else I would have been completely frightened away. There seems to be a lot of distortion and overreaction from uninformed or potentially biased parties, though i can't tell what their interest in this is .

Posted on: 2009/3/10 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i live on summit near vroom st. it's not quite mcginley square, not quite journal square, but i'm in the midst of it.

i had my car broken into in january here, the only bad thing that's happened so far. i love my apartment and the location as far as getting to work and school. i also attended high school on duncan and the blvd at st. doms, so i've seen the years of changes. the area has improved tremendously, but we're still many years from "hobokenization."

Posted on: 2009/3/10 4:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/30 13:21
Group:
Registered Users
My family has been living on Bergen Avenue between Jewett and Fairview since the summer and I have adjusted and have never had a problem. I make use of public transportation and I am a slim blond. I find that people hanging out on Bergen are polite and not as hostile as in Brooklyn or Bronx towards people they may view as gentrifyers. This is more quiet than Hell's Kitchen where I used to live.
Please do not scare people off from living in this neighborhood. I held an viewing for my absolutely stunning and recession-busting priced parlor floor 2 bedroom and no one showed up! And my house is a palace compared to the nyc 15x18 box I lived in at the same price. Someone could be enjoying the brazilian cherry and granite floors, french and pocket doors, tin ceiling, marble bath. Forget about Paulus Hook --this may be rough outside but luxury interior. Calling all pioneers--come and rent my parlor floor. Webmaster please let me do some shameless advertising. I need a break.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 4:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/29 20:47
Group:
Registered Users
Yes- Fairmount Ave. Haha lots of action here.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gobo wrote:
Pho Thang Long is open again!

That's great to hear!
Did you end up moving here?

Posted on: 2007/9/10 15:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pho Thang Long is open again!

Posted on: 2007/9/10 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
It looks like Pho Thang Long is closed for renovations. We all know what that means. That's too bad. I was looking forward to it for lunch.

I went to the Panda House Chinese Restaurant instead. It was clean and cool. Food was decent.

After lunch, we walked up Fairmount Avenue, between Bergen Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard. That was not a nice block to walk up. There was dog poop on the sidewalk. The buildings are not as nice as on Duncan. There were people hanging around, and an unleashed scarey dog there. Duncan is much nicer.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 18:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That Vietnamese restaurant is wonderful. The pork chops are sooo good. The pho is great on colder days and the sandwiches make the perfect take away.

Thanks for all the replies you guys been very helpful.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Sometimes I walk from JSQ to the Vietnamese restaurant at McGinley Square for lunch. The walk is safe except there are people sitting on the church steps asking for money. I often wonder where do they live.

The Number 87 King Drive bus travels on Fairmount Avenue to JSQ to Hoboken. At Montgomery and Bergen, there is the Number 80 Newark Avenue bus that goes to JSQ to Grove Street and Exchange Place. McGinley Square sounds like a convenient place to live.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
It should also be noted that the Duncan projects are a good half-mile or more from the area in question.

In my commute, I can walk on Bergen or JFK -- the distance is nearly identical -- and I almost always pick Bergen. In 5+ years I've had no problems.

Quote:

Woodsy wrote:

gobo was asking about Fairmount and Bergen not Duncan. Duncan Ave. has the Harry Moore public housing projects and all the problems associated therewith.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JSQ wrote:
Oh yes, so I am exaggerating, only the fact that nobody was robbed on Highland or north of it recently, and the fact that somebody was robbed on Glenwood, and the fact that somebody was shot on Duncan are true.
Well, I am exaggerating, he was shot in the foot, so there shouldn't be any problem.

I never said you were exaggerating, I only told the OP to look into your other posts( as well as others) before drawing a conclusion about an entire area.
IMO, JSQ, you are a complete downer in my book, one who can not see how their own actions and perceptions contributes to their demise . I don't think that any area you chose to live in would ever meet up to your expectations. You only see the downside, which is why you are quick to only point out the few terrible incidents that have happened here.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 14:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/5 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JSQ wrote:
Oh yes, so I am exaggerating, only the fact that nobody was robbed on Highland or north of it recently, and the fact that somebody was robbed on Glenwood, and the fact that somebody was shot on Duncan are true.
Well, I am exaggerating, he was shot in the foot, so there shouldn't be any problem.

gobo was asking about Fairmount and Bergen not Duncan. Duncan Ave. has the Harry Moore public housing projects and all the problems associated therewith.

I'm sorry that your friend got mugged JCMavericks. Meaning no disrespect, as I said in my earlier post, JC is a city and unfortionately these things happen all over JC. I doubt Bergen Ave. is any worse than many streets downtown. At least it has a lot of foot traffic which tends to cut down on street crime.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 14:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/20 20:52
From Greenville, Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
My friend who lives on Glenwood was mugged right on Glenwood. The "actor" was on car and we suspect that he may have followed her on her way from the PATH. Prior to this though, she never had, or was never in, any incident on that street. I also used to live on Montgomery St. a few years ago and had no problem as well.

Note: The mugging happened right in front of one of the dorms of St. Peter's College that had security cameras. We hoped the cameras would've captured something but one was broken, and the other was focused on a house suspected of drug dealing, so nothing useful to our investigation was captured.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 13:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017