Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop again donating his salary
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
here, here....

have started to post a few times today, but kept getting interupted....

you said it all. Philanthropy is good, but does not make good government.

Though, I think - it is better to contribute out of pocket as he did, rather than as a few other councilmembers loudly proclaimed back in January - that they use their campaign funds (and Pay to Play money) to give dollars back the community. Maybe its different, maybe not....

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
It's good to see that you are very passionate about Fulop and once again $20,000 is a siht load of money to donate.

His money is going to worthy causes and there is no question about that, but I judge a person on how they can manage JC better, create more jobs, improve our infrastructure, policing and general quality of life, their ability to team lead, negotiate, network and control all facets of city hall - their personal integrity and even their public speaking skills are important.
Even though Fulop might appear to be a philanthropist, it really doesn't rank high in my book. I'd love my next Mayor to be thrifty when it comes to money and demand ever cent spent to be cost-effective.

The most important thing for me and a + for Fulop is that he never walks away from his PAY to PLAY policy / idea.

Posted on: 2007/8/4 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sporkster wrote:
No one has asked the most important question...

IS HE SINGLE???

IS HE SINGLE AND GAY?????

Posted on: 2007/8/3 23:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
I recently moved out of his district, and i cannot BEGIN to tell you how much I miss him.
I have never even seen or heard one peep from my councilmember. It's the one thing i really miss from downtown, that and Pam from Downtown Watch:)
And the one big complaint when he was running was, "he's ambitious."
well "hell ya" to that. it means he will get stuff done. as much as he possibly can without the other councilmembers and corp counsel getting in the way. i learned a great deal by working for a rather effective councilmember in washington dc, and i've found that you can tell a good councilmember by these two things:
1) the legislation that they produce/support
2) constituent services
on both counts he is really great.
And if you were at the council meeting where they voted on the pay to play leg, you also have to admit he is by far the most eloquent councilmember.

Posted on: 2007/8/3 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HudsonRiverView wrote:
Steve is not a trader at Citigroup.

He works in sales.

The JJ gets facts wrong? No way!!

Posted on: 2007/8/3 20:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/26 20:32
From The River
Group:
Registered Users
Steve is not a trader at Citigroup.

He works in sales.

Posted on: 2007/8/3 17:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users

IS HE SINGLE???

Posted on: 2007/8/3 14:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/4 14:20
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
FAB Wrote:
Quote:
Another comment is; How much did he donate when he wasn't in the political game?

He did finish his education, and then put his carer on hold to join the reserves. That alone should suggest that he had his values before entering politics.

Posted on: 2007/8/3 11:46
Myth: Pancakes are for breakfast.

Fact: There are no rules when it comes to pancakes.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
It's good to see that you are very passionate about Fulop and once again $20,000 is a siht load of money to donate.

His money is going to worthy causes and there is no question about that, but I judge a person on how they can manage JC better, create more jobs, improve our infrastructure, policing and general quality of life, their ability to team lead, negotiate, network and control all facets of city hall - their personal integrity and even their public speaking skills are important.
Even though Fulop might appear to be a philanthropist, it really doesn't rank high in my book. I'd love my next Mayor to be thrifty when it comes to money and demand ever cent spent to be cost-effective.

The most important thing for me and a + for Fulop is that he never walks away from his PAY to PLAY policy / idea.

The problem with judging a reform legislator by legislative success is that he's not operating alone. If he's not willing to "play ball" with the good old boys none of his initiatives will pass. Does that mean he needs to lighten up and get something through so he can wave it in our faces come election time? Not in my book. You should be able to tell all you need to know by his voting record, no?

I've seen a quite a few of our councilpersons and candidates for such office speak. Most of them were inarticulate to embarrassing. Steve is no Bill Clinton, but he's quite a effective speaker at the public meetings I've witnessed him at.

Posted on: 2007/8/3 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/8/3 0:46
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I suspect the real point from Steve's view is that this is the public's money being given to him for a part time job. He knows well that there are other people in the community working just as hard for free to improve our city, so he passes on his suck at the public tit to worthy local causes. The fact that it makes the rest of the bloodsuckers at city hall look bad isn't incidental, but I bet it's not the main reason.

Posted on: 2007/8/3 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
My comment wasn't to create a siht fight for the pro and against fulop - it was just a comment.

Another comment is; How much did he donate when he wasn't in the political game? I don't need an answer, but those that seem do know also seem to know him very well!

FBA

You once gave me great advice so I will give it back to you bro:

?You F%^%&-UP keep posting?

Have a good night

DTG

Posted on: 2007/8/3 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
What other political official donates like him? From what I have seen, he is definitely a unique "politician" to the point that he is more of a regular guy that wants to do what is right for his constituants.

I have friends around his age who make as much money as he likely does, but I do not believe they are donating $20,000-40,000 to anyone. He earned the money. Why should he donate it? And if his expenses are low and he doesn't have kids to feed? Does that mean it is any less of a donation? That is potentially rent money for the entire year.

I observed him for the first time at the Jersey City flood meeting a few months ago. The JC residents were furious at the MUA and many of the stories told were tragic. The MUA was simply being evasive and difficult in answering every question. Fulop repeatedly stepped in and tried not to let the MUA off the hook. He kept digging at practical short and long term solutions. I was impressed. He was willing to spend even more of his time at meetings to solve the problem.

Posted on: 2007/8/3 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
someone post this on the NWA forum.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
My comment wasn't to create a siht fight for the pro and against fulop - it was just a comment.

Another comment is; How much did he donate when he wasn't in the political game? I don't need an answer, but those that seem do know also seem to know him very well!

Posted on: 2007/8/2 22:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
The range in salary for a Wall Street trader is enormous. I am sure Mr. Fulop is not exactly wondering where his next meal is coming from, but you cannot assume that he's making so much that $38K isn't even noticeable. And, of course, the guys at the top of the salary range work about 18/7. Fulop isn't doing that, we know, because he's around here too damn much.

Now, I don't doubt that this will, in the end, benefit him more than it is costing him, but so what? The cash is still helping people.

Oh, and one more thing: Why is it that people say "but it's tax deductible" as if that makes it free. Um, not so much. What it means is that the money is essentially taken off the top of the donor's income, pre-tax. So, effectively, it costs the donor about 30% (assuming a pretty standard income tax scenario) less than it benefits the recipient. So, what it means is that instead of giving away $38K, Fulop has acually only reduced his own purchasing power by $26,600. Last I checked, $26.6K is still a nice chunk of change.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

I'm not saying he is doing a bad thing, all I'm saying is that $20,000 isn't a big 'hit' for him and the benefits to him will and have, outweighed any loss / donation.

FAB:

I am glad that with YOUR copy of Steve Fulop?s 2006 Tax Return you determined that 38K is a small hit for him.

Are you aware that every council member gets a taxpayer paid car. Steve Fulop never accepts his.

DTG

PS-- You have aroused the anger of the Fulopistas and now you must pay !!! LOL

Posted on: 2007/8/2 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
i'd like to see how the other council members spin this one.

lets see them put their money where their oversized blowholes are.

I think Fulop is great, and I'm sure I'll be voting for him for president when he runs, but one issue here is that he's a highly paid Wall Street trader.

As far as I know, Fulop has no children. His expenses are probably low. So, he may be in a much better position to donate his salary than a council member with an ordinary job might be.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm no math genius, but if the figures in the article are true, Fulop donated $38,000.

No chump change there.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
any way you look at it - still a good thing, Yes?

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Anyone that can donate $20,000 is making a siht load of money and that $20,000 will be tax deductable.

I'm not saying he is doing a bad thing, all I'm saying is that $20,000 isn't a big 'hit' for him and the benefits to him will and have, outweighed any loss / donation.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
of course thats true, but you don't hear about the other people who work for this city doing this. You know the ones, the ones getting paid for 2-3 jobs a piece!

Posted on: 2007/8/2 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone that can donate $20,000 is making a siht load of money and that $20,000 will be tax deductable.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 18:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/30 18:54
Group:
Banned
He's so cool. I bet he does more work than the rest of city council combined. And he's only 30!

Posted on: 2007/8/2 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i'd like to see how the other council members spin this one.

lets see them put their money where their oversized blowholes are.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 16:30

Fulop again donating his salary
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop again donating his salary
Thursday, August 02, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

For the second year in a row, Jersey City Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop is donating his salary to worthy causes.

Last year, Fulop, 30, gave $20,000 to the York Street Project, a center for homeless and economically disadvantaged women and children.

Having completed his second full year on the council, Fulop, who works as a Citigroup trader on Wall Street, will be donating $10,000 to the Liberty Humane Society, the organization that manages the city's animal shelter; $5,000 to the St. Joseph's School for the Blind; and $3,000 to the Jersey City Reservoir Preservation Alliance, a group that protects the reservoir from misuse and destruction, according to a statement released by his office.

Fulop's remaining salary will be distributed to various active recreation organizations throughout the city, according to the statement.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 16:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017