Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Developer Pay-to-Play Press Release- Steven Fulop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MCA wrote:
We've got your back!

Posted on: 2007/1/25 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
Your candor, both about your work and about the political game, is appreciated, Councilman Fulop.

As somebody who does not live in your Ward, I will be the first to admit that I have less of an opportunity to witness your interactions with your constituents first-hand. From what I can glean, I think you have a keen and healthy understanding of how politics works, both in the abstract, ideal sense, as well as in the down and dirty, real-life sense. That's not a criticism, it's a compliment, and people who react to it as criticism don't understand politics.

I agree with the sentiment that sunlight is good cleanser, but also believe that the best source of political sunlight is an earnest attempt to achieve the desired outcome, including all requisite pride-swallowing. If the inevitable outcome of the pay-to-play ordinance was that it was doomed to fail regardless of how it was introduced, I would feel a lot better about the 'cleansing' if it hadn't started with a press release and a divisive call-to-arms. If it's doomed to end up DOA, why not let your opponents be the first ones to dirty their hands.

Politics is politics, but sometimes, I think the high road is the smarter, and maybe even more strategic, road to take.

There's nothing I like more than being proven wrong, so please, give me cause to eat my cynical words.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 18:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/23 17:55
Group:
Banned
You're wrong, Steve. It is not a thankless job -- you have our thanks. Keep up the great work. We've got your back!

Posted on: 2007/1/25 17:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Most importantly, I want to thank everyone who came out yesterday to the council meeting. I think the attendance spoke volumes about this issue and the need for transparency. I?m committed to this issue and I will work with ?Civic JC? going forward to explore the next step

A couple of points though. To the cynics, it is a fair perspective as after all, this is politics. Those who live downtown can attest that over the past 18 months I have attended almost every monthly community meeting in the ward, each one almost every single month (there are 14 per month not including council and caucus). Much of what I have done over the past 18 months has been driven off the community?s feedback, so I think that the residual of actually working for the constituents translates into a positive sentiment. I can say for fact, that over the past 18 months I have put more legislation forward on every front, than any of my colleagues (more than double). I think the combination of trying my best to be proactive to move government forward and reactive to needs via attending meetings translates into positive sentiment that you see here.

With that said there are structural changes that sometimes are more difficult as they are met with opposition. In that case, there are political realities of being in the minority. To this, my perspective is just that sunlight is the best cleanser. Whether it was the policing situation with Chief Troy and the need for improvement, or dual jobs at the council, or a hiring freeze when taxes are rising, or pay-to-play, these touch a nerve with the political establishment and I don?t regret bringing any to the forefront despite people may perceive it as self intentioned. In the end, I still believe they are worthwhile issues. The focus of attention on the issue, ultimately, changes the dialog that is initially resisted.

My point is as follows, yes, sure, this is politics, and there always is a political aspect at play, but I work at this job hard and I think the reason the people who live in Ward E may post favorably is because they recognize this as more often than not, it is a thankless job but I put everything I got into it. Now, I could be wrong of course but I would like to think it is as simple as that.

Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2007/1/25 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Mouse wrote: This is a terrific idea. How does one get a copy of the transcript of the meeting? An electronic version would be ace!

Well...

You can ask for a transcript at the City Clerk's office, but they are going to charge you for it and it may take some time. I have no idea how much it might cost. However, I know that the City Clerk has a stellar reputation and he acts in as expediant a manner as possible. It just takes a bit of time to fullfill such a request and the fee is to pay the stenographer who is separately employed.

Better than that, I think that this first part of the session was filmed by the JCList webmaster himself and he will probably send out a YouTube version shortly.

In addition, Talking Politics taped this portion of the Council meeting as well. It is about 17 minutes and not enough to do a show. Maybe someone can contact Mia Scanga and get the relevant parts.

Althea

Posted on: 2007/1/25 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The administration is tripping over themselves time and time again - Healy on numerous occasions, the Fire Captian, the Police Chief and officers, the JCPA even Healy's secretary is questionable.

It's a joke that won't end until he gets the ASS and I love how some people still void Healy of responsibility.

Shit, we might as well give some crazy woman from Newport a go at running the city.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 16:29
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
There's a NY Times writer who lives in downtown JC. One of last night's attendees has his contact info, though I'd be surprised if the writer himself weren't in attendance.

I believe you're talking about Jonathan Miller who wrote for the "New Jersey" section of the Times, but since the Times combined that section into a "regional" focus, and has cut back on jersey focus, he left and now writes for the New York Observer. He can be reached at: jmiller@observer.com

Jonathan wrote the excellent two page article with color photos of the Guardian Angels on patrol with the Downtown Jersey City Watch last spring.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 16:26
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Re: We Will Remember! Pay to play voted down
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:
some times a cigar is just a cigar.

and sometimes a politician is just a politician.
And sometimes, a cynic is just a cynic.

And sometimes, a political shill-job of an Internet forum is just that - a political shill job.

This Fulop love-fest's gotta end.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

A transcript of the meeting should be given to every media outlet in the country.

This is a terrific idea. How does one get a copy of the transcript of the meeting? An electronic version would be ace!

(And would provide fodder for this thread for a good week).

-M

Posted on: 2007/1/25 16:21
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
There's a NY Times writer who lives in downtown JC. One of last night's attendees has his contact info, though I'd be surprised if the writer himself weren't in attendance.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:

Those were not their exact words but my sarcastic version.At least three,Sottolano,Spinello and Brennen used this excuse.Developer makes millions,gives a few thousand to the council crook,they take a cut and pass a few coins on to the great unwashed masses.

In the old movies the peasants rose up and chased them out of town.

Your outrage is understandable, and equivocating politicians absolutely deserve to be exposed. No argument about that.

I do, however, think that it's irresponsible to use quotation marks when attributing inflammatory language to any public official, when they in fact never used such language.

If you want to quote, then do it accurately. If you paraphrase, tell people you're doing so, and don't use quotes.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 16:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/23 17:55
Group:
Banned
Quote:
loucheNJ wrote:
I think a little public humiliation is due our esteemed leaders.

Let the newspapers know how you feel. Write a letter to the editor.

Jersey City Reporter - editorial @ hudsonreporter .com
Jersey Journal - jjletters @ jjournal .com

On a side note, did anyone notice how red in the face Brennan got while he was giving his spiel? I swear I could almost see the steam coming out his ears. Now that's entertainment!

Posted on: 2007/1/25 15:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
I was disappointed to see no mention of the vote in the NYTimes - maybe tomorrow. Does anyone have connections that could facilitate this?

I think a little public humiliation is due our esteemed leaders.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Where's the video, Web Falcon?

Those who were unable to attend last night NEED to see the pathetic excuses drummed up by the council. That discussion was both disheartening and entertaining.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
What a pathetic group of elected puppets.
At least they had to do the dirty work in front of a crowd.

How about this for an excuse,it went like this.
Council crook "i just get so many requests for money from the peasants of this city so i take the money from the developers so i can give a little to the peasants"

An out and out F__cking Disgrace.

If this is correct and the statement is true, it should be quoted on the front page of every media outlet in the tristate area.
These 'peasants' are highly likely directed at the mainly black and hispanic communities which means the man is a racist and elitist. How on earth did the 'peoples' represenative to council say this - if he was at a bar I'd know people who would introduce his head to the counter. The person who made the comment should be run out of town.
However I feel that some people might agree with that sort of comment even here on JClist..........

Fat ass.Those were not their exact words but my sarcastic version.At least three,Sottolano,Spinello and Brennen used this excuse.Developer makes millions,gives a few thousand to the council crook,they take a cut and pass a few coins on to the great unwashed masses.

I still believe that the quote and its connotation should be on the front page of any and all Hipanic or Black community newpapers - These so called politicians are living in the 50's and from the south with attitudes like that.
I'm surprised that the salvation army and other charity groups don't storm cityhall with those outrageous comments from public servants.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 13:10
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:

Council crook "i just get so many requests for money from the peasants of this city so i take the money from the developers so i can give a little to the peasants"

If this is correct and the statement is true, it should be quoted on the front page of every media outlet in the tristate area.
These 'peasants' are highly likely directed at the mainly black and hispanic communities which means the man is a racist and elitist. How on earth did the 'peoples' represenative to council say this - if he was at a bar I'd know people who would introduce his head to the counter. The person who made the comment should be run out of town.
However I feel that some people might agree with that sort of comment even here on JClist..........

Fat ass.Those were not their exact words but my sarcastic version.At least three,Sottolano,Spinello and Brennen used this excuse.Developer makes millions,gives a few thousand to the council crook,they take a cut and pass a few coins on to the great unwashed masses.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:

Posted on: 2007/1/25 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
i agree that usually i agree with NON... but this time... well, i don't know... you have an issue with Fulop - for some reason - and accuse him of being dirty (basically) but yet you offer no backing to your arguement....

then again, it's a bulletin board, you don't have to!

I have no particular beef with Fulop, any more than I have with any other politician. I'm not even suggesting that he's inherently bad for his Ward or bad for Jersey City. It just seems that the Fulop love-fest around here almost never gets tempered by any counterpoint.

To me, the political advantageousness of the pay-to-play ordinance debacle seems glaringly obvious as long-term strategy for Fulop. To his credit, it's brilliant strategy, and if this board is any indicator, it just might work for him.

Until this episode, I had a more-favorable-than-usual impression of Councilman Fulop. As soon as that press release went out, my eyebrows raised up. For me, the jury is still out on his overall integrity and ambition, but it shocks me that around these parts, he's jesus and santa claus combined.

i think people should always question politicians' motives, and the hyper-defensive reactions i get when merely suggesting he could be using this issue to politicial advantage are shocking.

There is no Jesus or Moses in politics, the best everyone can hope for is that whoever we put into office not only thinks short term ideas but has enough mind to think about long term effects.

The nasty ?R? word is on my mind, IMO it's inevitable. That scares the heck out of me more then P2P.

My money is on Mia or Geoff to guess the ?R? word??

Note: Had a few PM's with ??? when I forgot to qoute... so for those who were confused with the opening line, I re-posted.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
The nasty ?R? word is on my mind, IMO it's inevitable. That scares the heck out of me more then P2P.

Praytell, what is the R word?

Posted on: 2007/1/25 4:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
There is no Jesus or Moses, the best everyone can hope for is that whoever we put into office not only thinks short term ideas but has enough mind to think about long term effects.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
Self-proclaimed, baby. I'll take being a miserable cynic over a content fool anyday.
If you are insinuating:
Content- absolutely not.
Fool- a bit presumptuous, without full knowledge.

presumptuous? from the guy who presumed i was a woman and got prickly when he was called on it?

and i never said i was refering to you.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
i agree that usually i agree with NON... but this time... well, i don't know... you have an issue with Fulop - for some reason - and accuse him of being dirty (basically) but yet you offer no backing to your arguement....

I have no particular beef with Fulop, any more than I have with any other politician. I'm not even suggesting that he's inherently bad for his Ward or bad for Jersey City. It just seems that the Fulop love-fest around here almost never gets tempered by any counterpoint.

To me, the political advantageousness of the pay-to-play ordinance debacle seems glaringly obvious as long-term strategy for Fulop. To his credit, it's brilliant strategy, and if this board is any indicator, it just might work for him.

Until this episode, I had a more-favorable-than-usual impression of Councilman Fulop. As soon as that press release went out, my eyebrows raised up. For me, the jury is still out on his overall integrity and ambition, but it shocks me that around these parts, he's jesus and santa claus combined.

i think people should always question politicians' motives, and the hyper-defensive reactions i get when merely suggesting he could be using this issue to politicial advantage are shocking.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
Self-proclaimed, baby. I'll take being a miserable cynic over a content fool anyday.
If you are insinuating:
Content- absolutely not.
Fool- a bit presumptuous, without full knowledge.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:

And sometimes, a cynic is just a cynic.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:

So, in the end, he gets to be the hero/martyr for going out on a "limb" and raising the people's cause which he knew wouldn't pass, (and getting plenty of PR for it), yet he still gets to accept campaign contributions from developers for his future political battles.

Well played, Councilman. Well played. You'll fit in here juuuuust fine.
Most of the time I agree with your assessments and point of view, however you tend to perceive well-meaning individuals as ?hero/martyrs? and imply that their motivations come from other than just doing what they feel is right; one can actually be motivated by other internal drives. You don?t always have to take on the mantle of cynic; some times a cigar is just a cigar.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
I can't help but think this outcome wasn't entirely unforeseen by Councilman Fulop. And that the objective wasn't as much to pass the proposed ordinance, but to martyr himself and deposit the PR from this into the campaign bank. He's smart enough to know that introducing the ordinance as confrontationally and combatively as he did was going to doom its chances of passing among his fellow councilpersons.

So, in the end, he gets to be the hero/martyr for going out on a "limb" and raising the people's cause which he knew wouldn't pass, (and getting plenty of PR for it), yet he still gets to accept campaign contributions from developers for his future political battles.

He'll be putting his money where his mouth is if he refuses to accept political campaign contributions from developers on principle, despite the failure of this ordinance. Then i'll give him some credit.

Jeez, give Fulop a little credit. Maybe he didn't think it would pass, but he made those other council members answer for themselves publicly. I think that's worth it, if nothing else.

I'm reluctant to give *any* politician even a little credit.

i'd be less reluctant to cut Fulop some slack if his hands were "clean" when it came to developer political contributions. But they're not.

i'd also give Fulop some credit if he had engaged the corporation counsel's office in drafting and introducing legislation, and worked with the council in a spirit of co-operation. I think this could have been handled much more gracefully, but Fulop came out swinging.

You're right, Ethan: Fulop made the councilpeople look bad. Congratulations to him for achieving his objective. Had his objective been to actually reform the practice of pay-to-play in this town, and had he conducted his bahavior surrounding this ordinance in accord with genuinely trying to achieve that objective, maybe the outcome would have been different. we'll never know. but you can bet your ass this 'defeat' will be at the center of the Fulop Mayoral campaign.

sad as it may be, politicians are guilty until proven innocent in my book. i grew up in this town, and i've witnessed enough in my lifetime. and i distrust local, home-grown politicians just as much as i do the nouveau transplanted ones. I'm an equal opportunity skeptic.

mark my words in the above-referenced post come the next mayoral election cycle.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
I can't help but think this outcome wasn't entirely unforeseen by Councilman Fulop. And that the objective wasn't as much to pass the proposed ordinance, but to martyr himself and deposit the PR from this into the campaign bank. He's smart enough to know that introducing the ordinance as confrontationally and combatively as he did was going to doom its chances of passing among his fellow councilpersons.

He'll be putting his money where his mouth is if he refuses to accept political campaign contributions from developers on principle, despite the failure of this ordinance. Then i'll give him some credit.

Jeez, give Fulop a little credit. Maybe he didn't think it would pass, but he made those other council members answer for themselves publicly. I think that's worth it, if nothing else.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 3:05

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017