Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Buying a condo in JC Heights - anything I should know?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/22 2:07
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info, jcnative.

We move into our condo Saturday and plan on being at the Corkscrew Sunday night to see Otis and his band.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 11:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/3 19:15
Group:
Banned
And the only cool bar in the area is The Corkscrew on the corner of Congress and Webster.

Cool jukebox, Indie/Alt/Punk/Classic Rock DJ's & live bands on the weekends, Open mic on Mondays, Karaoke on Wed., and "Guitar Hero" Tournaments on Thurs.

Guinness, Stella, Brooklyn Lager, Yeungling on tap.

Good bar.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 4:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
You're looking for the #82 NJ Transit bus that comes in from Union City. Last stop is Exchange Place. It travels on Summit Avenue past Bowers.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 2:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone know what bus I can take from Summit and Bowers to either Exchange Place, Grove, or even Journal Square PATH stations? I work in SoHo and really don't want to have to go to Port Authority if I don't have to. Thanks

Posted on: 2007/3/22 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
yes....................your life, house and vehicle insurance will cost more!

Posted on: 2007/2/6 4:03
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the info petey8 and Lindad! it turns out that the 82 and 83 buses run on summit (1/2 block from the condo) to exchange place and journal square path trains, so i guess we'll have to see how often they run. thanks for all the restaurant info. i'm sure there are some gems in the heights we'll have to check out

Posted on: 2007/2/6 1:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't been to Levin's since the name change, but I peered in through the door and I could see the man who owned it when it was Robablito's. The menu is the same. It is the perfect winter restaurant because the food is very hearty and they serve with a full heart. It used to be a BYOB place but now they make a nice Sangria. It is a nice-looking place too. Sadly, like many nice non-Italian restaurants in the area, it struggles. Its location probably doesn't help since my neighborhood looks OK but is, as I like to put it, "lively".

Posted on: 2007/2/5 23:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Coop- Bowers from Summit to Central is nice. A lot of streets in the Heights the closer they get to Central Avenue. However, the nicest part of Bowers is between Summit and Central. The info that was given about transportation is dead-on.

There are some nice restaurants on Central Avenue - Mia Casa (Mexican) beween North and Congress, Ceviche (Pueruvian) between Congres Paterson, Gino's (Italian) between Thorne & Bower, Renato's (walk thru Pizzamaster's on Central between Hutton and Franklin). There is also a Polish deli called Stanley's on the corner of South & Central and wine tastings at Central Avenue Liquor Sore between Ferry and Booream across the street from Pershing Field. The library on Zabiski Street around the corner from the bank is small but decent.

Two Middle-Eastern places have opened that serve good food. Can't remember the names but one is right next to Rite-Aid and the other is by Pizza Master's.

Lincoln Inn is so-so. It is on Lincoln Street around the corner from Rite-Aid.

In Spring, when Reservoir 3 opens (usually late April, Saturdays only), check it out. It is 13 square miles of wilderness dropped right in the center of an urban zone.

Posted on: 2007/2/5 23:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/20 13:44
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'll have to try Levin's sometimes. Thx.

Posted on: 2007/2/5 22:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
JMH,

What are the cross streets? I live on Palisade between Franklin and Ferry. Those blocks are rough thru New York Avenue. I grew up in the Heights and heard those blocks have always been bad and only moved there three years ago because I needed a pet-friendly, affordable housing. A few folks told me that the area was getting better but my first year I was hounded by a gang. The past two, people have left me alone but despite all the condos going up in this area, there have been plenty of incidents - some publicized, some not. The incidents usually occur from Ferry through Griffith and from Palisades west to about Sherman.

There is a total business curfew on Palisade from Ferry through North and Franklin from Palisade to Central.

There is a nice restaurant on Palisades though. Used to be called Robolito's but is now called Levin's. Serves Ecuadorian-Italian food

The area picks up once you hit Bowers.

Posted on: 2007/2/5 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure about that street in particular, but as far as buses/transport to PA: On JFK the #125 bus will cost you a 3-zone rate, which I think is around 2.85. Also on JFK the infamous jitneys run nearly continually and cost $2, or you can buy tix ahead at gate 23 for 1.50 apiece. The drawback of the JFK route for both is that it goes all the way to 495 before turning down to the tunnel, so takes 20-35mins average. If you want to go to Palisades, you can take the 99 (not very frequent, so don't miss it) for $3, the jitney for $2---this is a nice 15 minute or so shot to PA. The #123 bus is also an option, that is 2.40 (I think) per, and goes very regularly and reliably from the Park in front of the Doric, but once again takes 25-40 mins.

If you plan to ride the NJ transit buses, buy the 10 tix from the machines at PA--you save about .50 a trip.

Posted on: 2007/1/31 4:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
does anybody know anything about Bowers between Summit and Central? We're thinking about moving there, and are curious about what that neighborhood is like. We're also interested in finding out what buslines take you to the PATH or Port Authority and roughly how much they are. Thanks :)

Posted on: 2007/1/31 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
While researching Tastykakes, I found this website, The Central Avenue SID in the Jersey City Heights. There is a page listing the Neighborhood Block Associations.

http://www.jcheights.com/
http://www.jcheights.com/blockassoc.html

See? Tastykakes are useful.

Posted on: 2007/1/20 2:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
There's another really great Mexican restaurant on Central and North - Mia's Mexican Cafe. Definitely worth checking out!

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Posted on: 2007/1/19 15:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JMH wrote:

citybelt - that is AWESOME info and great news. fortunately, I was able to find a neighbor on new york ave who was willing to rent me her driveway. question, though.....
where is paterson plank?

Try Google maps.

Posted on: 2007/1/19 4:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

citybelt wrote:
Quote:

JMH wrote:
Are there streets nearby that do not require a JC parking permit? What about guests who may visit for a weekend?

I park on Paterson Plank -- no parking permit required, just street cleaning a few times a week. If your car is a company car, I'm assuming you use it during the day. So you could theoretically park in front of your new building (or in the vicinity) overnight, and utilize the parking on Paterson Plank on weekends or for emergencies, etc. Works for me!

citybelt - that is AWESOME info and great news. fortunately, I was able to find a neighbor on new york ave who was willing to rent me her driveway. question, though.....
where is paterson plank?

Posted on: 2007/1/19 0:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hell2heights wrote:
We moved to the neighborhood in Fall '05 and are quite happy. Bring your dog to the park behind the Doric Towers at Palisade & Paterson plank for the unofficial neighborhood dog run. Also at that corner is the NJ Transit 123 bus to Port Authority. It's much more reliable than the 99S and much less prone to fistfights.

You'll see me and my Boston Terrier there as soon as the weather gets warm! Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2007/1/19 0:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks CapnJon - GREAT INFO!
As far as the neighborhood group meetings- count me in. I'm all about getting to know my neighbors and living in a safe community. I will attend as many of these meetings as possible.

Spanish restaurants and cool, fun places are my thing- so I'll meet you and the Mrs. at "Corkscrew"!!!

Thanks for the welcome - and can't wait for my settlement date next month.

Posted on: 2007/1/19 0:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/4 13:21
Group:
Registered Users
Just my two cents - I bought a condo here on Ogden in the Heights last June after renting in Hoboken for a few years, and living on the Western Slope for a few years before that. Overall, I love living here so far - have no problems with parking, people are great, easy to get to everything, etc. There are definitely some rough spots, but nothing you shouldn't be familiar with coming from a city environment. I second the Corkscrew - good music, good people, cheap beer. Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/1/17 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
From my understanding, there is a clause in the legislation that if you own or rent in JC Heights, you automatically qualify and permitted to carry a weapon and children of 'bubble gum' chewing age can carry a knife.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 1:08
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Good 2 know. Thx.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 19:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/16 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JMH wrote:
Are there streets nearby that do not require a JC parking permit? What about guests who may visit for a weekend?

I park on Paterson Plank -- no parking permit required, just street cleaning a few times a week. If your car is a company car, I'm assuming you use it during the day. So you could theoretically park in front of your new building (or in the vicinity) overnight, and utilize the parking on Paterson Plank on weekends or for emergencies, etc. Works for me!

Posted on: 2007/1/16 17:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/21 2:29
Group:
Registered Users
"the guys who sell hotdogs on congress are nice too."

ha! Those are my neighbors. They also live on New York Ave between South and Bowers. Very cool sweet family.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 4:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 19:00
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
We moved to the neighborhood in Fall '05 and are quite happy. Bring your dog to the park behind the Doric Towers at Palisade & Paterson plank for the unofficial neighborhood dog run. Also at that corner is the NJ Transit 123 bus to Port Authority. It's much more reliable than the 99S and much less prone to fistfights.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
hi JMH, my wife and i live on new york between congress and south. we love it. as for "trouble" there's only two houses on our block that ever cause a ruckus. and a few times we've called police because we thought it was too much of a ruckus.

there is a neighborhood group that meets every month to talk about issues like safety - and they meet at a local school.... i'm sure someone will post details here....

everyone else on our block are nice and friendly - and we've met plenty of people just doing housework outside and stuff....

like someone else mentioned, the buses are great, and the lightrail is smooth.... and yes, parking is a bitch.

the spanish restaurant on congress and palisades is awesome. and the guys who sell hotdogs on congress are nice too.

for social fun - try the Corkscrew on saturday nights and monday nights.... good times.

welcome to the neighborhood!

Posted on: 2007/1/16 3:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tankstelle wrote:
I don't think most companies that provide cars would pay for a parking sticker - I know mine doesn't.

I would agree with you that non-residents should be charged a premium - the problem is that I am a resident and have been for several years. At the very least, they should make the permit equal to the registration charge.

I hear ya. However, while I've not had the pleasure of driving a company car, I tend to think that this issue revolves around ownership of the car (and by extension its registration) and not your residency status. Don't know the particulars of your company, etc. but mine agrees to take care of parking fees, gas, etc. on those occasions where I've had to use my car for business. I would guess that your company annually budgets for gas, mileage, lease, maintenance of car, insurance, etc. for its company cars. What's another $300 on the automobile line item?

Posted on: 2007/1/15 22:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/31 21:50
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think most companies that provide cars would pay for a parking sticker - I know mine doesn't.

I would agree with you that non-residents should be charged a premium - the problem is that I am a resident and have been for several years. At the very least, they should make the permit equal to the registration charge.

Posted on: 2007/1/15 22:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tankstelle wrote:
Somebody needs to address the out of state tag issue and parking permits. I too have a company car, and they are even jersey plates, just not registered in JC. Anyways, even though I pay what seems like a gajillion dollars in property tax, I have to pay $300 a year for a "non-resident" parking permit, b/c my car is not registered in JC. That rule is such complete bullshite.

Seems to me, if it is indeed a company car, then the company should take care of payment of the $300, no? Or at the least, that it would be a write-off? But, I find the non-resident permit restriction a good one given the dearth of street parking...

Posted on: 2007/1/15 21:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/31 21:50
Group:
Registered Users
Somebody needs to address the out of state tag issue and parking permits. I too have a company car, and they are even jersey plates, just not registered in JC. Anyways, even though I pay what seems like a gajillion dollars in property tax, I have to pay $300 a year for a "non-resident" parking permit, b/c my car is not registered in JC. That rule is such complete bullshite.

Posted on: 2007/1/15 19:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Great info - thanks!
I have a dog also, so it should be nice meeting neighbors just by walking my dog. Who knows - I'll probably see you walking yours!

Fortunately, the condo I'm buying has laundry on-site which should make life a little easier and keep me out of the laundromat.

I have to admit - I'm a little concerned about the parking situation. I currently have PA tags on my car because it's a company car. Not sure how I'll get around that with getting a parking permit. I have inquired about renting a space from a neighbor and I've had some success. One neighbor who is renting agreed to rent a driveway for $100 per month, so hopefully that will prevent any issues. I'm concerned about friends and family visiting, though. Seems a little silly to boot cars with NYS tags- especially with JC's proximity to NYC.

Any additional info would be great!

Thanks Muffin

Posted on: 2007/1/15 18:55

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact