Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 361 newark ave to triple in height
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The developers and city hall does, it's money in their pocket. Anywhere you can build is prime location and the skys the limit.

Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
I know there was a thread on here about the old hamburger joint near the turnpike and newark ave but i could not find it.

People were asking if the builder had went out of business because he stopped work on the job after he had begun pounding piles into the ground.

It turns out that he is going before the board of adjustment Thursday night to get new approval to go twelve stories and have 55 unit's.He was already approved for four stories and 24 units.When does this stop.Who starts something with bank financing in place and then decides to redo the whole job without the fix being in.

Will every square inch of space become a hi rise soon.The kids who play on the ballfield behind that site will be in the dark during the Day.With the 12 story building that was approved across the street,newark ave will look like an alleyway after you pass under the train trestle.

I don't live in that area but as my friend who does Say's"no body seems to give a s___!

Posted on: 2006/12/17 9:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
The electric car lift only shows how small a foot print this job is on.It was a decent building at the hight it was at.Who is going to mantain the lift after all the condos are sold?The garage in Hoboken had constant problems and it was staffed around the clock.

The smaller version had the same amount of retail on the ground floor which will greatly improve the area.The poster before had a real good point about both buildings doing the sidewalks and lighting fixtures that mimic what will be done on the rest of newark ave.

I don't mean to start the whole anti development/pro development thing going again because i do think that these two buildings will help anchor the other end of newark ave.

It is just that something about this deal is not right.Electric car lift my ass,that thing will never get installed and all those cars will be on the street.

Posted on: 2006/12/17 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:

Same thing happened to me. I had one of those electric revolving tie racks and it stopped working because the software license was in dispute. I hadda wear the same tie for a year before it finally got straightened out in court.

You know that is NO joke! -- It has been proven that "Doctor's Neckties Spread Diseases" -- never go to a doctor who wears one!

Click here for Necktie Safety!

Posted on: 2006/12/16 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Quote:

Althea wrote:
I do however, question the garage... one of those electronic garages. The was one in Hoboken and when it broke down many cars were trapped for awhile and then the garage was inoperable for about a year, making the parking situation in that area a nightmare. That's my only pause for concern.

I didn't break down, there was a dispute of the software license and maintenance and it went to court.
The story made /.

Same thing happened to me. I had one of those electric revolving tie racks and it stopped working because the software license was in dispute. I hadda wear the same tie for a year before it finally got straightened out in court.

Posted on: 2006/12/16 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
I was at Thursdays planning Board meeting for the permit for the Blue Ribbon and the case before the Blue Ribbon was the one for 361 Newark.

It passed. Apparently the head of the committee was arguing against it, but would have accepted a 7 story building, but it was a case of "me too" because a 12 story is going up directly across the street on Newark Ave? I don't know the details.

The building looked amazing, but they always do in pictures. I don't have much of an opinion either way except that I hope it is sucessful and causes no negative impact on its immediate neighbors.

I do however, question the garage... one of those electronic garages. The was one in Hoboken and when it broke down many cars were trapped for awhile and then the garage was inoperable for about a year, making the parking situation in that area a nightmare. That's my only pause for concern.

I didn't break down, there was a dispute of the software license and maintenance and it went to court.

The story made /.

Posted on: 2006/12/16 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
The lot across the street has been empty for quite some time now...I think they cleaned it up a little a few months ago, and as I mentioned above, they did a traffic study on division street back in August. No signs of contruction yet though...I'll give you guys an update as soon as I see some markings around the site ;)

Posted on: 2006/12/16 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know more about the other 12 story building going up across from this one at 361 Newark?

I assume that it will really flesh out this rather empty area of Newark Avenue. I think it will likely be a really good thing for the area.

I just hope they have the vision to carry the new "look" ( ie. street lights, more trees and the resurfacing of the street ) the whole way down Newark Avenue from the Grove Path Station to these two new towers next to the turnpike. It will be a shame and very short sighted if Newark Avenue remains looking half done.

This should also be really good for those living just up the hill.

I'm happy to see it -- though I am sure parking will be harder -- again Newark Avenue if turned into a "one-way" going west from Brunswick to Grove with diaganol parking added would really be best.

Anyone know more about these two towers?

Quote:

Althea wrote:
It passed....it was a case of "me too" because a 12 story is going up directly across the street on Newark Ave? I don't know the details.

The building looked amazing...

Posted on: 2006/12/16 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
It's near the grave yard isn't it? Dead Mans Pointe?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/12/16 18:17
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I was at Thursdays planning Board meeting for the permit for the Blue Ribbon and the case before the Blue Ribbon was the one for 361 Newark.

It passed. Apparently the head of the committee was arguing against it, but would have accepted a 7 story building, but it was a case of "me too" because a 12 story is going up directly across the street on Newark Ave? I don't know the details.

The building looked amazing, but they always do in pictures. I don't have much of an opinion either way except that I hope it is sucessful and causes no negative impact on its immediate neighbors.

Posted on: 2006/12/16 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Me too!

Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
I live 'very close' to 361, so trust me, I'm all for the redevelopment of that area.

Posted on: 2006/12/14 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Its on the agenda for thursday night.Usualy Dan L.posts the agenda.

MY Friend lives within a certain distance from the site so he got notified by law.You can call the planning bd and they may or may not be helpful.

The city should post all board meetings on their web site but don't hold your breath waiting.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I live 'very close' to 361, so trust me, I'm all for the redevelopment of that area. Looked like nothing was going on there this morning, though, so I guess they delivered equipment and its just sitting there at the moment. The lot across the street - 380 I believe, has been sitting dormant for quite some time now as well. It appeared that they had a traffic study going on with some equipment to track traffic along Division street in August, but other than this, no signs of site preparation for construction there.

Does anyone know what that rusted van is doing on the site? It's been sitting there since the beginning of the summer, and they keep moving it around.

Again...where did you hear about this action to be taken, mrrogers?

Posted on: 2006/12/13 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jcwalkingman your making my point. This guy has been fooling around with this job for over a year.He just wants to max out the site.

I am not anti development i am anti ugly development. That lot is not as big as you think.Most of the land belongs to the turnpike and a big chunk still belongs to the city which was going to expand the park for the kids.

i'm in total agreement about that area of newark ave being an eyesore. These two new buildings with retail on the bottom will be good anchors there.

What i don't like is a builder who agrees to a certain size building where the community had input,starts the job and then reapplies during the holidays (less people show up)for a much bigger building.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
mrrogers - where did you get this info from??

Seems like progress is on-and-off at the site...it picks up dramatically for a few weeks and then stops completely for a few...new equipment was delivered a few days ago, I guess to start spreading gravel for the foundation/first floor.

I'm all in favor of seeing that thing rise 12 stories.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
In seriousness, btw, there are very good pro-development reasons to oppose ugly buildings, i.e. they make an area less desirable.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
it's childish to think the issue is as simple as pro-development or anti-development, and it makes you sound as if you aren't capable of complex thought. which, maybe you aren't.

you're either with the developers, or with the terrorists!

Posted on: 2006/12/13 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
I think, in this thread in particular, you might accurately be describing mrrogers as somebody afraid of change for change's sake. But your inability to distinguish somebody who simply doesn't want development at all, from somebody who wants development to take place in step with the changing needs of the community and within the context of the area in question says more about your (in)ability to process issues that have more than two clear sides.

it's childish to think the issue is as simple as pro-development or anti-development, and it makes you sound as if you aren't capable of complex thought. which, maybe you aren't.

Quote:

NNJR wrote:
If you all were on a board dedicated to building design we would still be staring at vinyl siding and abandon buildings.

I'm not saying the buildings are masterpieces but what are you really expecting? Not every building can be the 8th wonder of the world.

I think people are complaining because they are afraid of the changing landscape so hey take it out on things they have no control over.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you all were on a board dedicated to building design we would still be staring at vinyl siding and abandon buildings.

I'm not saying the buildings are masterpieces but what are you really expecting? Not every building can be the 8th wonder of the world.

I think people are complaining because they are afraid of the changing landscape so hey take it out on things they have no control over.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Are people seriously upset that someone wants to clean up Newark avenue? This isn't a historic neighborhood. This isn't a neighborhood of three story brownstones. The developer isn't giving the boot to local artists. It is vacant land in a part of the downtown starved for development. The density of a twelve story building at the west end of Newark will anchor that end of the block. It will provide a customer base to support businesses on the far western end of Newark Avenue. It will in essence, bring much needed redevelopment to to Newark Avenue.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
once again, NNJR oversimplifies a complicated issue. it's not either/or as far as development goes.

Grove Pointe is ugly as all get out, and that's what the majority of people here point(e) to when complaining about it. Should that site have been developed for residential use? Absolutely. Should the planning board just rubber-stamp every proposal that gets handed to it, regardless of the design and the environmental impact on the neighborhood? No way.

I think the Marbella is a really ugly building. That doesn't mean I'm anti-development, it means i'm anti-ugly-architecture. It also doesn't mean i think buildings of its size are always a bad idea.

That said, I'm on record here and elsewhere as supporting development when it's thought-out and appropriate for the neighborhood, and not hideously ugly. I think the area near the turnpike overpass on Newark could be a good spot for taller buildings.

Oh no, so wait, what neat box does that put me in? Anti-development or pro-development?

Quote:

NNJR wrote:
anti-development crowd in full affect. Is there really a problem with an extra floor or two? There are much more dense areas and if the building is done right could actually be cool.

I sure wouldn't want to live there but that doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that will for a price.

Quote:
I hope he goes belly up or misses the whole market from being greedy.

This comment to me is the same as someone hoping you get cancer... is it really called for?

Posted on: 2006/12/13 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
NNJR, comparing what i said to wishing someone gets cancer is ridiculous don't ask to get cancer,its not a choice.Building an over size building under the turnpike is a business decision this guy made.

As far as it maybe being a cool looking building,whats the chance of that in JC.Can you say Grove pionte.ECH

Posted on: 2006/12/13 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Besides, more "luxury" apartments flooding the market could just lead to lower prices for everyone. Who knows, maybe in a couple years I'll scoop up an "amenities" condo, that is, if these buildings are not rotting or collapsing by then.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
anti-development crowd in full affect. Is there really a problem with an extra floor or two? There are much more dense areas and if the building is done right could actually be cool.

I sure wouldn't want to live there but that doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that will for a price.

Quote:

This comment to me is the same as someone hoping you get cancer... is it really called for?

Posted on: 2006/12/13 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, if it's where I think it is I don't actually care if it becomes a high rise - it's not like it'd be blocking any nice views or interrupting the continuity of an otherwise nice area.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
doesn't that part of newark avenue currently look like a bunch of abandoned lots and gas stations? i'm no fan of most of the huge hi-rises and i'm all for preserving the neighborhoods, but is there really a "there" there?

Quote:

mrrogers wrote:

Will every square inch of space become a hi rise soon.The kids who play on the ballfield behind that site will be in the dark during the Day.With the 12 story building that was approved across the street,newark ave will look like an alleyway after you pass under the train trestle.

I don't live in that area but as my friend who does Say's"no body seems to give a s___!

Posted on: 2006/12/13 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Surely "Grave Pointe" is the obvious joke.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Your right jc but what does the developer care.He sees other builders like goldman get to build higher and higher so why not him.Somebody in city hall told him it was ok or he would not be doing it.

The top of that building will be level with the turnpike and about thirty feet away.That should be a nice unit with the headlights coming through the windows.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
It's near the grave yard isn't it? Dead Mans Pointe?

Posted on: 2006/12/13 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
...amenities include a roof-side on ramp to the NJ Turnpike...

Posted on: 2006/12/13 0:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/5 17:42
Group:
Banned
i just don't see that area as a great high density kinda place. is this developer insane?

what are they gonna call it...overpass pointe?

Posted on: 2006/12/13 0:42

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017