Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Holiday Tipping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Alex Napoliello/NJ.com

A Queens sanitation worker was forced to retire after he was caught taking a $20 tip for removing an extra-heavy load of trash.

Lenworth Dixon, 56, a sanitation worker for 24 years, also had to pay a $1,500 fine for accepting the cash, the New York Daily News reports.

It?s a violation of the city ethics rules if civil servants accept cash for doing their jobs, the report said.

?It?s a harsh punishment, but they [the city] don?t tolerate taking money from the public,? Harry Nespoli, president of the Sanitation Workers Union, told the Daily News. ?We?re not allowed to take any money, even at Christmas time.?

Dixon was given the tip after he was asked to remove a large amount of wood, furniture and other ?bulk refuse? from the front of an East Elmhurst, N.Y. home on Sept. 26, the report said.

So not everyone should be tipped...

Posted on: 2014/2/4 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted on: 2014/1/22 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I found this earlier today thought I share..

What You Should Remember When The Delivery Guy Comes In This Blizzard

Throw in a few extra dollars for the incredible convenience of not having to venture into the muck. Whether or not you typically tip 20%, include an extra $2-3 dollars during bad weather. It goes a long way towards making the guys on bikes not feel quite so horrible. Doubly true if you're ordering from the next 'hood over instead of the cute cafe down the block, so keep distance in mind.

Have a little patience. You're not the only person who had the totally brilliant idea to order delivery tonight. Not only will volume likely be higher, it's not a cake walk to get your bike through the slush while also dodging snow plows. Anticipate a longer wait time, and don't give off an audible sigh when your food arrives later than normal.

Whenever possible, tip in cash. This goes for any day but it's a good reminder that tip skimming exists through online ordering.
So there you go, advice you should already know because you're a wonderful, compassionate, generous human being who would never think of stiffing someone out of anything. Yup.

Good Stuff.

Posted on: 2014/1/22 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Generally tipping is one weeks service i.e maid you pay 80 per clening give her 80 extra and same with hair dressers etc. BUT if you can't afford that just give them something extra--trust me they will know if you really can't afford it or you are being cheap.

Posted on: 2009/12/25 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
We give $100 to each maintenance/security staff who have done a lot of hands-on stuff for us throughout the year and we give $50 to everyone else.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 13:48

Doorman holiday tips

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/31 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
I'm curious how those living in downtown JC (specifically Newport) handle the tips for your doormen for the holidays. I'm a renter in a high-rise (Aquablu), and we have 4 doormen that I've noticed. How much do you folks usually tip? And what about the maintenance staff?

Silly question I'm sure, but also one I bet a lot of people are thinking about this time of year.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
you gotta hand it to webbie, how he managed to dig up a 3 year old thread and merge this one to it lol

Posted on: 2009/12/19 16:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/26 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
I use to tip our garbage men in the past because they too took just about anything I put out. and if I was willing to put it in the truck, they would let me put anything in there. (I gutted my entire house without a dumpster) But that was when trash was collected during the day. I woudl give them cash sometimes and others I would just leave a six pack of soda or water out for them. One thing that I did notive was we wouldn't always get the same crew, so now that they collect at night, I am never around to see who the normal crw is and who the replacement crews is. I am now hesitant to leave anything out for them.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 13:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone tip the garbage men? If so how? I would like to, because I think they're really great - they have taken the most ridiculous things from in front of my house - but other than waiting outside at 4am for them to come by on garbage day don't know how I would do it. Also don't know if it's "normal"/traditional to do?

Posted on: 2009/12/19 1:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, so i was going overboard thinking I'd give everyone a little something...good to know!

I like the pooling the $ idea...not that I'd want to coordinate it ;)

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/12/18 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Edit - wibbit posted essentially the same solution as a possibility while i was writing this, so this is a bit duplicative.

Another approach to consider (for next year, sorry) is to get together with other residents and start a collection for a set amount (e.g. $XXX per resident). Someone will need to determine the how to equitably split the pool. Then each staff member gets one large "bonus" with a list of all the residents that contributed to it. It also may push some people to tip that wouldn?t have.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
my building has an option where you can just write a 250 bucks check and the management will divide it up among all the staff.

but i find it more effective tipping individuals that i deal with daly: $50 each for 2x doormen, management manager, and super. It does make a big difference in term of getting your apt serviced and packages etc..

Posted on: 2009/12/18 18:14

Holiday Tipping

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
I apologize if this is a dup post--I searched "tipping" and didn't get anything relevant.

This is my first holiday in an apartment building and am looking for advice. I already checked out http://www.emilypost.com/everyday/holiday_tipping.htm and http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php ...but they give very large ranges, ie $15-80 for doorman.

My building has 4 regular doormen, plus two fill-ins, 7 people in housekeeping and 4 in maintenance. I don't want to be a scrooge, but that's a lot of tipping--and I've never met more than half of the staff. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/12/18 17:57

Re: Holiday question: What do you tip your super?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
HOW MUCH FOR JOBS WELL DONE?
Here's a tip: With right amount of green they won't see red
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
By COTTON DELO
JERSEY JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Christmas is the season to dig into your pockets, but the bleeding of cash doesn't necessarily stop with gift giving.

Gratuities to building superintendents, doormen, porters, handymen and other service providers are a whole other tier of recipients to consider - or not.

"We suggest not doing everyone," said Sonia Maldonado, president of the Newport Waterfront Association and a resident of the Jersey City complex's East Hampton tower. "You could easily run up $500 or more. Normally if you tip them throughout the year for little jobs they do, that's better."

During the holidays, Maldonado recommends tipping the workers you have regular contact with - especially the super.

Though the Waterfront Association has a set of guidelines for residents, Felix Torres - a doorman at Newport's John Adams building - says tips aren't what they used to be, a fact he attributes to the influx of ethnic groups that don't celebrate Christmas.

Reluctant tippers might comfort themselves with the notion that service providers can't keep tabs on everyone's contribution, but Torres says his co-workers don't miss a beat.

"We're well aware of it," said Torres. "I have a photographic memory."

Posted on: 2006/12/19 9:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
This is turning out to be one interesting thread!

I guess, if you like your super... $50 - $100. And if not, see the messages above!

Posted on: 2006/11/20 12:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I get a lot of mail. I tip my mailman...probably $50 this year. At other locations, I've sometimes tipped nothing. It entirely depends on performance and, right now, I have a top performing mailman.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kvtshirt wrote:
del forno runs this tenement, the super lets the hot water heater go out every time it rains /basement floods for a minimum of three days, he hasn't fixed the 65 tiles that fell off the kitchen wall for a year now, pretty sure he stole my bike.. he can get my dick in his ass maybe, if he's cute enough.

What a nice visual, TY!

Posted on: 2006/11/20 12:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/12/5 7:15
Group:
Registered Users
del forno runs this tenement, the super lets the hot water heater go out every time it rains /basement floods for a minimum of three days, he hasn't fixed the 65 tiles that fell off the kitchen wall for a year now, pretty sure he stole my bike.. he can get my dick in his ass maybe, if he's cute enough.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 9:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
fasteddie you crack me up. Two in a row! A double feature indeed.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 2:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
You folks misunderstand me. I did not know my garbage men, nor could I have picked them out of a lineup. Until, that is, about December 15th or so when they started lingering and looking expectant if I happened to be around when they were picking up. Since I lived in an actual house with a back door and a parking spot and they came down the alley in the back to pick up, it was more likely that we would bump into eachother.

Anyway, glad to hear the same "tradition" does not happen here. Phew.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
[...]Do people generally tip cash or use gift cards? I've done both in the past, normally using Target gift cards, because somehow it felt more festive than cold hard cash, but I'm probably kidding myself.

Happy holidays, peeps.

Gift cards / certificates are the biggest ripoff and were undoubtedly invented by Walmart in conjunction with Satan. I never quite got it and perhaps someone can explain the benefits. Giving cash allows the donee to buy whatever they want from wherever they want whenever they want. Or god forbid, bank it. On the other hand, you're stuck with a gift card to buying from one lousy place. And god forbid you forget about it or lose it or fail to use it and get charged service charges. In the best case, you'll end up spending more than what's on the card because the dang ipod cost $350 and the gift card was only $300, or something like that. What am I missing?

O-KAY! No more gift cards EVER. Point taken! I'm going cash-only with tips for now on.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 1:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
[...]Do people generally tip cash or use gift cards? I've done both in the past, normally using Target gift cards, because somehow it felt more festive than cold hard cash, but I'm probably kidding myself.

Happy holidays, peeps.

Gift cards / certificates are the biggest ripoff and were undoubtedly invented by Walmart in conjunction with Satan. I never quite got it and perhaps someone can explain the benefits. Giving cash allows the donee to buy whatever they want from wherever they want whenever they want. Or god forbid, bank it. On the other hand, you're stuck with a gift card to buying from one lousy place. And god forbid you forget about it or lose it or fail to use it and get charged service charges. In the best case, you'll end up spending more than what's on the card because the dang ipod cost $350 and the gift card was only $300, or something like that. What am I missing?

Posted on: 2006/11/20 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
There's a helpful set of charts in this CNN article I just found.

Holiday Tipping Guide/CNN.com

Do people generally tip cash or use gift cards? I've done both in the past, normally using Target gift cards, because somehow it felt more festive than cold hard cash, but I'm probably kidding myself.

Happy holidays, peeps.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Do people tip their mailman?

I tip mine, as have stated on other topic thread here that Nick, the postal carrier on 3rd St. is the best I've ever met anywhere!

Nick always has a smile, goes out of his way for you (makes sure the NetFlix are put inside the door not left in vestibule), comes upstairs when hassle for me to go down, all in all he should be the poster boy for what a great job some carriers do.

My super is a good guy, but it's a rental bldg., he just puts out the trash so, no handiwork, so $20 is what he gets.

Unlike Philly girl I agree with FastEddie on my garbage handlers: I couldn't pick my guys out of a lineup either!

Posted on: 2006/11/19 23:49
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PhillyGirl wrote:
Also, what about the trash and recycling guys? At my house in DC I had 4 different sets of guys (two different teams for the two trash days, the glass/plastic recycling pick up, and the paper/cardboard recycling pick up). Apparently ALL FOUR expected separate tips. I was totally befuddled and started having pretty crappy trash pick up for a few weeks. Also, if your pick ups happen before the crack of dawn, how do you give them anything? Tape it into the top of the trash bin and hopes nobody steals it overnight? I am at a total loss. Thoughts?

I don't think I'm reading this right. Did you say "tip the garbage men"? Are you telling me you actually knew your garbage men? And you gave them Christmass gifts? That's amazing. DC must be like living in Mr. Rogers neighborhood. I couldn't pick my garbage men out of a lineup if my life depended on it. Anyway, the only time money changes hands between me and the garbage man is when I want them to take something they're not supposed to. It's a bribe actually but tip does sounds so much nicer. Yes, let's call it a tip.
"here ya go boys, buy yerselves a nice lunch. And by the way, ya got room on the truck for a coupla hundred pounds of construction debris... uh... I mean houshold trash?"

Posted on: 2006/11/19 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
A good tip is to tell them to get things done around the place and not wait till things fall apart.

Other ideas for a tip is a new paint brush, working gloves, training on how to use a vacuum, a reminder sheet when the trash goes out and the removal of the t.v from their office and finally speaking lessons and how and when to say good morning or the like.

Even buying them a book on how to be a competent super or concierge person.

Posted on: 2006/11/19 23:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, I believe that it is actually a federal crime for the mailman to solicit tips. Not that that stops many people, but it's good to be aware of.

I am interested in the cleaning lady question. I really really like mine and guidance from someone would be nice on amounts . . .

Also, what about the trash and recycling guys? At my house in DC I had 4 different sets of guys (two different teams for the two trash days, the glass/plastic recycling pick up, and the paper/cardboard recycling pick up). Apparently ALL FOUR expected separate tips. I was totally befuddled and started having pretty crappy trash pick up for a few weeks. Also, if your pick ups happen before the crack of dawn, how do you give them anything? Tape it into the top of the trash bin and hopes nobody steals it overnight? I am at a total loss. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2006/11/19 21:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/30 16:31
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
i am a condo owner and have one of the worst, do-nothing, supers ever. so he won't be getting a tip, nor should he expect one.

Posted on: 2006/11/19 20:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Oooh, such jealousy! And no, I get my shoes shined while I'm getting my shave, hair cut, nose hairs and eye brows clipped.

When my old-fashioned Italian barber dies, it's time for me to die cuz there ain't no one like him. While they now call themselves "Hair Stylists," they're one of those old fashioned shops that are located in an office building in the Times Square area. I've been going there for years and I tell ya, there is absolutely nothing finer including sex than a good barber shave. [I probably wouldn't have included the sex part 70 years ago.]

Posted on: 2006/11/19 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
I give the barber the cost of a haircut and shave, my usual service.

A shave? A SHAVE? You get a SHAVE at the barber's? Do you have to go through some kind of time warp portal to get the your barber? So you sit there with that hot towel over your face, oblivious to the the possibility of some goon walking in the door holding a .38? Ever hear the story about Albert Anastasia? So then where do you go after the shave? Down the street to the shoeshine stand for a shine, stopping on the way to buy a carnation for your lapel? Then what do you do? Stand on the corner leaning against a lampost flipping a coin and reading the racing forms for the rest of the afternoon? Is this your typical day Mr. Diamond Jim McGrieves?

Posted on: 2006/11/19 19:39

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017