Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Uniforms policy crackdown riles parents in Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/2 3:01
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Or Hypercolor. Good lord... talk about bad high school memories.

But anyhow... somehow I find it laughable that Dickinson even has a school emblem, not to mention the fact that they are forcing the students to wear it...

Posted on: 2006/9/14 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
Dont' forget NEON!

Posted on: 2006/9/14 15:47
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/25 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
I wish i had a uniform in school. i think it is democratizing and it also would have saved me an enormous amount of time every morning.
oh, and it would have saved me from the bandwagon of awful trends like legwarmers over jeans, men's boxers as girl shorts, jelly shoes... ugggh.

Posted on: 2006/9/14 15:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think it's so bad for the kids to wear uniforms, but I think it's ridiculous that they're getting detention for not wearing the emblem. The schools should provide parents the option to get patches or decals that they can add to existing shirts. Or at least a letter in the mail during the summer to let parents know that it will be enforced and there will be disciplinary action taken against the student if they don't comply.

Posted on: 2006/9/14 15:09
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't know they instituted uniforms in JC public schools. At Academic, we had to adhere to a dress code.

Frankly, I don't think uniforms and dress codes make a difference in the students' behavior. We had countless discussions about this in high school, and even a few of our teachers agreed that a child's personal/familial/social values determine his behavior, not his outfit.

Posted on: 2006/9/14 12:21

Uniforms policy crackdown riles parents in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Uniforms policy crackdown riles parents in Jersey City
Thursday, September 14, 2006
By JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City's school district has stepped up enforcement of its uniforms policy "across the board," including the part that requires students at the city's high schools to sport the school's insignia.

The stricter enforcement has angered a number of parents at Dickinson High School who say they bought plain white or black polo-style tops like they did last year - only this year their children are being disciplined for wearing the same style shirts.

"She always wore a black or white shirt with no emblem," said Peter Baron, father of a 15-year-old junior at Dickinson who received a detention for not abiding by the policy.

"I already bought 10 shirts, now they want me to pay $10 apiece for the shirts. They should just sell a decal so we can iron them," Baron said.

The district has had a dress-code policy for several years that calls for students to wear either black or white tops, along with black or white dress pants. It also calls for all high school students to wear the school's logo on their shirts - though some parents and school officials say it was not always enforced.

"The uniform policy has been in effect for several years, and we have stepped up enforcement for safety issues. In some schools we've been more vigilant," said district spokeswoman Sharon Bartley.

The uniform policy helps build school spirit, while confronting the district's gang problem, said Bartley.

Posted on: 2006/9/14 11:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017