Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: P O W E R H O U S E
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The rendering is wonderful, but does not seem to include the 60+ story Goldman tower behind it on 111 First Street nor the MetroHomes/Trump tower just to the south (left).

As with pretty much anything positive happening in Jersey City, concerned citizen's have worked a lot harder and longer (8 years or so) than the city government to make this a reality.

Now we can line up and thank the "city fathers" for doing what could have and should have been done a decade or so earlier.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/7/26 17:09

Edited by DanL on 2006/7/26 17:27:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
My original post was pretty much a congratulation to a responsible private developer who appears to be eager to preserve the powerhouse without stealing tax money. Please reread what I wrote (it was a response to those opposed to any form of private development).

Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

This is a beautiful building but the last plan to save it that I heard involved spending $40M of taxpayer dollers. Frankly, that is too much and I find the eagerness of some people to spend tax money in the service of their aesthetics very objectionable.

If the idea of signage is indeed a threat I suspect you (and however many people agree with you) would be free to buy the signage and put nothing there. Myself, I really like the Colgate Clock...

I'm not sure where you heard that. Maybe on the Newport Waterfront Association board.

The redevelopment will not cost any taxpayer money. The building will be acquired by the Cordish Company and they will develop it and make a lot of money. Mazel Tov to them.

As for signage, it all depends on how it is done. As long as the building retains its historic protection, it is subject to review.

Joshua Parkhurst
President
Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy

Posted on: 2006/7/26 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

This is a beautiful building but the last plan to save it that I heard involved spending $40M of taxpayer dollers. Frankly, that is too much and I find the eagerness of some people to spend tax money in the service of their aesthetics very objectionable.

If the idea of signage is indeed a threat I suspect you (and however many people agree with you) would be free to buy the signage and put nothing there. Myself, I really like the Colgate Clock...

I'm not sure where you heard that. Maybe on the Newport Waterfront Association board.

The redevelopment will not cost any taxpayer money. The building will be acquired by the Cordish Company and they will develop it and make a lot of money. Mazel Tov to them.

As for signage, it all depends on how it is done. As long as the building retains its historic protection, it is subject to review.

Joshua Parkhurst
President

Posted on: 2006/7/25 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
the powerhouse building can be seen in the last 60 seconds of Sid & Nancy, as sid vicious and nancy spungen drive off to heaven in a checkered cab. they pass right by the powerhouse.

Posted on: 2006/7/25 3:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/17 12:03
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the recent public announcement/artist's rendition for the Powerhouse, as published in The Jersey Journal:

Resized Image

"Fresh Start: Powerhouse Project Gets Developer"

Friday, July 21, 2006

By Jarrett Renshaw for The Jersey Journal

The outlook for the long-dormant Powerhouse in Downtown Jersey City got a little brighter this week after the city Redevelopment Authority designated a developer with a lengthy track record for successfully transforming industrial-age buildings into modern entertainment complexes.

City officials say the designation of Baltimore-based Cordish Companies - a key player in the turnaround of Baltimore's Inner Harbor - represents a fresh start for the long-troubled Powerhouse project, which is widely considered the cornerstone of the Powerhouse Arts District.

"This is a turning point for the Powerhouse Arts District and all of Jersey City," Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy said in a written statement. "Their work at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore is world class and we expect nothing less in Jersey City."

News of the designation was greeted warmly by members of the community who have long fought to see the site both preserved and used.

"It's excellent," said John Gomez, founder and former president of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy. "We actually visited with Cordish back in 2000, hoping they would come aboard."

The current president of the Conservancy, Joshua Parkhurst, agreed.

"I am glad to see the process is moving along and I hope that the builders will come to the community groups and include them," he said.

Officially known as the Hudson and Manhattan Powerhouse, the one-acre building on Washington Boulevard stands 140 feet tall. Built in 1906 to provide power to the Hudson Tubes - the predecessor to the PATH - the building is structurally sound, though a leaky roof has caused extensive corrosion.

The details of the redevelopment project are still being negotiated, but informal plans call for a multi-level mix of entertainment and retail. Its listing on the National Register of Historical Places also means it will restored under U.S. Department of Interior guidelines.

The project has long been hampered by the fact that the city's partner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, houses its transformers for the PATH system at the site.

The Port Authority is spending $400,000 for a consultant to conduct a review of the site, which will look at alternative places for the transformers and the agency's projected power needs in the future, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority.

"From our discussions with the Port Authority, we are optimistic that the issue would be resolved," said city Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis.

It's too early to put forth a timeline, but if and when the transformer issue gets resolved the project will begin to catch momentum, said JCRA Executive Director Bob Antonicello.

How the transformer issue is resolved, along with a host of other considerations, will help determine how the project gets funded. City officials said they expect to lease the space to Cordish, but they would not speculate on other funding formulas.

The JCRA had previously designated a Pennsylvania-based developer at the site, but Antonicello said the project was too large and the city had to find them in default of the agreement.

? 2006 The Jersey Journal. All Rights Reserved.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/7/25 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I guess the alternative is that nothing happens until it collapses upon itself or someone with a different (and almost certainly more objectionable) plan comes along.

Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
Quote:

janegeorge wrote:
well i guess if the building is saved for now, through this term with cordish, then fine. but judging from their web-site, they have the theme park-mcmansion-paver disease so prevelant in todays world of design.

the powerhouse mall _ oh fun.

Cordish did Baltimore Inner Harbor in the theme park/Vegas style, indeed.

Terrible kitsch.

Hopefully because JC Powerhouse is on the National Register of Historic Places, they won't be allowed to put their garish neon signs all over it.

I know, it's better than it being in ruins, but still...

Posted on: 2006/7/24 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
I went to Inner Harbor a lot as a kid. It's a little like South Street Seaport. Wasn't really what I was imagining, but it could be a cool thing for the area.

Posted on: 2006/7/23 4:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The restoration of the power plant in Baltimore was done very well. I think the problem that people are seeing is that there is just too much signage on the building. I would tend to agree with that assessment.

At the same time, others I have discussed this with whose judgment I respect don't have a problem with it.

Joshua Parkhurst
President

Posted on: 2006/7/23 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

janegeorge wrote:
well i guess if the building is saved for now, through this term with cordish, then fine. but judging from their web-site, they have the theme park-mcmansion-paver disease so prevelant in todays world of design.

Cordish did Baltimore Inner Harbor in the theme park/Vegas style, indeed.

Terrible kitsch.

Hopefully because JC Powerhouse is on the National Register of Historic Places, they won't be allowed to put their garish neon signs all over it.

I know, it's better than it being in ruins, but still...

Posted on: 2006/7/22 23:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/3/23 1:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/7/22 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
This is, as both John and I mentioned in the article, a very positive development.

The things to watch from here.

1) The Port Authority needs to set a timetable for relocating the transformer yards. This has been an issue that has held up the project to date.

2) We want to make sure the Cordish Company partakes in this development transparently with input from the public. This is the type of development that can really change a city, and everyone should be involved to make sure its for the better.

Joshua Parkhurst
President

Posted on: 2006/7/22 1:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/19 16:57
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.cordish.com/

It looks like they have done some good stuff. There is so mush potential there.

Posted on: 2006/7/21 23:46

P O W E R H O U S E
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Powerhouse project gets developer
FRESH START
Friday, July 21, 2006
By JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
The outlook for the long-dormant Powerhouse in Downtown Jersey City got a little brighter this week after the city Redevelopment Authority designated a developer with a lengthy track record for successfully transforming industrial-age buildings into modern entertainment complexes.

City officials say the designation of Baltimore-based Cordish Companies - a key player in the turnaround of Baltimore's Inner Harbor - represents a fresh start for the long-troubled Powerhouse project, which is widely considered the cornerstone of the Powerhouse Arts District.
"This is a turning point for the Powerhouse Arts District and all of Jersey City," Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy said in a written statement. "Their work at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore is world class and we expect nothing less in Jersey City."

News of the designation was greeted warmly by members of the community who have long fought to see the site both preserved and used.

"It's excellent," said John Gomez, founder and former president of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy. "We actually visited with Cordish back in 2000, hoping they would come aboard."

The current president of the Conservancy, Joshua Parkhurst, agreed.

"I am glad to see the process is moving along and I hope that the builders will come to the community groups and include them," he said.

Officially known as the Hudson and Manhattan Powerhouse, the one-acre building on Washington Boulevard stands 140 feet tall. Built in 1906 to provide power to the Hudson Tubes - the predecessor to the PATH - the building is structurally sound, though a leaky roof has caused extensive corrosion.

The details of the redevelopment project are still being negotiated, but informal plans call for a multi-level mix of entertainment and retail. Its listing on the National Register of Historical Places also means it will restored under U.S. Department of Interior guidelines.

The project has long been hampered by the fact that the city's partner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, houses its transformers for the PATH system at the site.

The Port Authority is spending $400,000 for a consultant to conduct a review of the site, which will look at alternative places for the transformers and the agency's projected power needs in the future, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority.

"From our discussions with the Port Authority, we are optimistic that the issue would be resolved," said city Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis.

It's too early to put forth a timeline, but if and when the transformer issue gets resolved the project will begin to catch momentum, said JCRA Executive Director Bob Antonicello.

How the transformer issue is resolved, along with a host of other considerations, will help determine how the project gets funded. City officials said they expect to lease the space to Cordish, but they would not speculate on other funding formulas.

The JCRA had previously designated a Pennsylvania-based developer at the site, but Antonicello said the project was too large and the city had to find them in default of the agreement.

Posted on: 2006/7/21 20:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017