Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Earl Morgan on Steven Fulop in today's Jersey Journal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

He also endorsed Healy for Mayor and Epps for Assembly.

Wait, wasn't this a good thing?

DanL is lame.

Posted on: 2016/3/19 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Wait, wasn't this a good thing?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

got up early and thought I would take a walk thru some history. the more things change, the more they stay the same. a lot of people seem to be upset that the mayor has some how changed. but has he?

Quote:

DanL wrote:
He's been fighting for political power and a political base.

He opposed a Newport tax abatement just as his predecessor did. He has accepted campaign contributions from the big developers while voting on ordinances that benefit them such as tax abatements and redevelopment plan like the rest of the City Council.

Beyond getting the VVP dog run moving forward (his predecessor would not touch this), he looks likes he has only been working hard to build a political career and create alliances with long time polticos.

Where do his Ward E constituents fit in and how is he contributing to the "better good"?

When will some change begin to occur? Maybe when Ward E casts more than 4,000 or so votes in a council elections. Otherwise the politicians play the voting blocs with developer funding and we are where we are.

So for starters vote. Our councilman would have an aweful lot more clout if Ward E turned out 8,000 to 10,000 voters in the council elections.

Quote:

AlanSommerman wrote:
I'm glad that Steve keeps fighting for us.....

Fighting doesn't mean crap, winning does. The streets are still filthy, crime continues to increase, taxes went up, developers continue to get abatements and the fate of the embankment remains in limbo.

When you run for office you tell people what you are going to do, when you are in office you show people what you've done.

Posted on: 2016/3/17 9:17

Edited by DanL on 2016/3/17 9:34:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlanSommerman wrote:
You're absolutely right - I missed the meeting. I was doing my work and Steve was doing his. What can I do to catch up?

No problemo; email Valerio and let him know you're gung ho for the garbage detail and he'll be happy!

valerio@luccio.net-Harsimus Cove Association

Posted on: 2006/5/30 7:13
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/12/27 16:45
Group:
Registered Users
I think downtown residents are lucky to have someone with some talent and passion, as opposed to the clowns that typically dominate Hudson County politics. Unfortunately for Councilman Fulop, his predecessor--Junior Maldonado--was not a typical Hudson County disaster and was a solid representative of our ward.

Nevertheless, I think Councilman Fulop has shown some integrity and guts. The latter of which could not have been said of his predecessor. So, on the whole, we are better off having Fulop.

The only way to effectuate change in Jersey City is to increase voter turn-out and send a message to City Hall that what Jersey City wants is a politician who is willing to shake things up and improve the status quo--not just cronyism.

Healy is in WAY over his head. He is a bafoon.

Not enough people care about their local politics. People treat where they live as temporary stop-overs on the great socio-economic ladder of life. If people actually felt attached to thier town, they may be more likely to register to vote, and therefore much mroe likely to vote in local elections.

Maybe we can do something about this through our neighborhood associations(?).

Posted on: 2006/5/29 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
He's been fighting for political power and a political base.

He opposed a Newport tax abatement just as his predecessor did. He has accepted campaign contributions from the big developers while voting on ordinances that benefit them such as tax abatements and redevelopment plan like the rest of the City Council.

Beyond getting the VVP dog run moving forward (his predecessor would not touch this), he looks likes he has only been working hard to build a political career and create alliances with long time polticos.

Where do his Ward E constituents fit in and how is he contributing to the "better good"?

When will some change begin to occur? Maybe when Ward E casts more than 4,000 or so votes in a council elections. Otherwise the politicians play the voting blocs with developer funding and we are where we are.

So for starters vote. Our councilman would have an aweful lot more clout if Ward E turned out 8,000 to 10,000 voters in the council elections.

Quote:

AlanSommerman wrote:

Fighting doesn't mean crap, winning does. The streets are still filthy, crime continues to increase, taxes went up, developers continue to get abatements and the fate of the embankment remains in limbo.

When you run for office you tell people what you are going to do, when you are in office you show people what you've done.

Posted on: 2006/5/25 0:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/19 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
You're absolutely right - I missed the meeting. I was doing my work and Steve was doing his. What can I do to catch up?

Posted on: 2006/5/24 10:42
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlanSommerman wrote:

Fighting doesn't mean crap, winning does. The streets are still filthy...

At the last Harsimus Cove Association meeting your name was read as one who volunteered for the Garbage committee to deal with this issue, yet you were not there, but Steve was as he is for most meetings trying to help.

Hmmm....

Posted on: 2006/5/24 4:19
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

AlanSommerman wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't get your point. It seems to me the only alternative to failing against overwelming odds with his initiatives is join the machine and play the time honored, pork barrel, budget busting game of "approve my proposal and I'll approve yours". Loyal opposition is a tough role, and too many politicians roll over and play the game to get their piece of the pie to take home and impress the people who say what you did about "what have you actually done?" If my representative does nothing but vote no for things that pass anyway, but I agree with him, he's done his job.

Posted on: 2006/5/23 23:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/19 1:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/5/23 22:44
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gtosatto wrote:
I'm glad that Steve keeps fighting for us. I wonder when the others are going to figure out that they should act for the better good.

Gina

When the better good starts paying money, then you will see a change. :)

Posted on: 2006/5/23 20:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/6 12:00
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad that Steve keeps fighting for us. I wonder when the others are going to figure out that they should act for the better good.

Gina

Posted on: 2006/5/23 20:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/11 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
I for one really appreciate Steve's work on our behalf. Steve has kept open the lines of communication that usually close the day after elections. He could have easily buddied up with the machine and spend his time slamming beers at any one of a number wateringholes from here to Jounal Square. He could easily pass the buck and tell you why his office is not responsible for the problem your having and give you the telephone number of someone who supposedly is.
He's a young guy who could be doing a milion other things besides working hard against a group of people who are schooled in the art of bulls**t and graft. For anyone who's been around this place for more than a few years, we know that's something different.

Posted on: 2006/5/23 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
In case anyone hasn't noticed, city council members are ganging up on our councilman

What I thought was interesting is that this is the first column Morgan has written since right after Glenn Cunningham died that seems to be on the side of the angels. I don't know that Morgan is a friend of the machine, but it seems as if he spends a lot of inchestrashing the people who try to stand up to the machine.

Posted on: 2006/5/23 14:19

Earl Morgan on Steven Fulop in today's Jersey Journal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
In case anyone hasn't noticed, city council members are ganging up on our councilman, and shooting down every new ordinance that he introduces, such as the freeze new city hiring-- Vega, Lipski, Brennan (Councilman-at-Large) are not acting in the best interest of tax payers. There are only two independent city council members, and downtown is lucky to have one of them representing us and bucking the machine!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulop is learning how to win a few, even as outsider
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The concept of a loyal opposition in politics refers to the minority party in a legislative body.

In Hudson County, there are generally only Democrats, so the loyal opposition, when it exists, consists of factions among Democrats.

Right now in Jersey City, it's Ward E City Councilman Steve Fulop, a relative newcomer, versus the world - or at least most his City Council colleagues. Sometimes, though, he allies himself with Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson.

Read the rest at nj.com

Posted on: 2006/5/23 14:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017