Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: School Board Election -- Anyone Got a Clue?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the endorsements by Hudson DFA - Hudson DFA School Board Endorsements

These endorsements overlap with Fulop's. The Hudson DFA's endorsement of Mahdi Hemingway mentions that Hemingway is an aide to Councilman Fulop (so much for the transparancy mentioned in his endorsement).

Many longtime activists like Mia think highly of Sue Mack who was if not still heads the Hudson County Transportation Management Association

I agree with "mrrogers" that a larger than expected turnout can send a message that there are votes downtown to attend to.

Posted on: 2006/4/13 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I to got the steven Fulop e-mail and i like that someone is willing to point out the problem in the system.
Every year the teachers union picks candidates and the administration lets them have the seats.How can the school board be responsible to the taxpayers when it is beholden to the union.All the candidates mentioned in the Sue Mack e-mail are union backed.
In a city of 240,000,less then 5000 people vote in the school board elections.If we wanted to send a message to city hall on a host of issues like taxes,crime,the embankment,abatements etc,why not show up on tues.and let them see thousands of votes come out of downtown.This is a great opportunity to show strength.
Steve fulop has bucked the system time and time again so i am willing to give his candidates a shot.
Mahdi Hemingway is an especially good choice as he can really relate to the kids who need someone who has been through the same system as them.

Posted on: 2006/4/12 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Now, what Steve Fulop says:

As most of you know, the past year has brought many challenges as well as rewards for me politically. I still say as often as people will listen - I am thankful for the opportunity to represent Ward E.

Some of the challenges over the last year relate to programs and initiatives that rely on other boards, agencies, and departments. In some cases I have found success, and in other situations I have been met with political push back. For this reason, I see the board of education election this Tuesday as an opportunity to continue progressing Jersey City forward with candidates that will move past the status quo of the political establishment. I don?t ask often, but I do need your help on Tuesday, April 18th.

As it stands today, we have failing schools, a lack of after school programs, and a lack of transparency. There is no question in my mind that our system today doesn?t work and that we can do better. There are initiatives that I hope to accomplish before I am done with my role in public service and this election ties in directly to those goals. Better after school programs, and a school system moving in the right direction are essential to Jersey City as a whole.

April 18th ?s Board of Education is an important election and I am hoping that those of you who don?t normally vote in board of education elections will find time in the day to pull the ballot for three individuals I know will make a difference- Mahdi Hemmingway, Edward Allen, and Mike Esposito . Even if you do not have children in the school system, please still help me send the message as the actions of the board of education have a great impact on your quality of life in Jersey City from day to day.

Once again, I am hoping that you are willing to vote on April 18th and show your support for Mahdi Hemmingway, Edward Allen, and Mike Esposito. You can read about each candidate in this week?s Jersey City Reporter. I certainly am willing to vouch that all three will not only make a difference from a policy standpoint but you will see noticable progress.

I appreciate your consideration more than I can express. ON APRIL 18th, Vote Edward Allen 7A, Mike Esposito 9A, Mahdi Hemmingway 12A,

Sincerely,

Steven Fulop
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
email: steven.fulop@netscape.com
web: http://www.stevenfulop.com

Steven Fulop | Councilman Ward E | Jersey City, NJ 07302 | NJ | 07302

Posted on: 2006/4/12 22:24
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mouse wrote:
I got my sample ballot for next week's school board election, and I really haven't got a clue on any of the candidates.

...Anyway, any recommendations for da skool bored?

-M

Well, here below are two emails I received, one from Mia Scanga's "Talking Politics" and one from Steve Fulop, so read 'em and place your bets!

First, Mia Scanga:

Resized Image
Talking Politics

Tuesday- School Board Elections

There aren't too many elected officials who I respect but Suzanne Mack is one of them. She's been on the board for years and works hard! I interviewed her last year when she was up for re-election & you can see that TV show on our website. I asked Suzanne for her recommendations on who we should vote for next Tuesday. Polls are open from 2pm to 9pm.

Even if you don't have children in the schools, like me, school taxes in 2005 represented 32% of your tax bill and the JC taxpayers only pay 13% of the $600+ million school budget! This year we're getting cut $7.5 million in state funding so in addition to the 18% city tax increase we're looking at a school tax increase after years of stable school taxes! Our funding to the schools has been fixed at $72 million/year since the late 1980s' while the budget has doubled/tripled!

Now for Suzanne's recommendations: These are her four favorites for three seats. People need choices and make decisions for different reasons and all of these people are outstanding. If you need further information or advise, please contact Suzanne at suzmack@hotmail.com.
Three of the people I have served with on the JC Bd of Ed and there is one new comer who deserves watching.
After two terms as President of the Board of Education, I stepped aside to allow Bill De Rosa to succeed me. I never once regretted that decision. I believe in Bill De Rosa and his leadership allows me to stand up, and help countless children/ people in Jersey City

William ?Bill? De Rosa. I need him back on the Board.
Current Chair JC Board of Education Seeking third term. Head of Educational Committee of Board. Taught Lincoln High School 25+ years. President- HC Retired Teachers. Tireless advocate for educational reform and accountability.
Opened first new schools in a decade in JC, PS3 PS 4 and Glen Cunningham Early Childhood Center. Married to Kean College Professor Anita De Rosa, 4 grandchildren.

Anthony ?Tony? Cucci
Former Mayor Tony Cucci is the moral compass of the Board. He is a tireless fighter for what is right. Former Mayor, former teacher, military background, community activist, strong religious man. Tony Chairs the Finance Committee of the 600 million dollar School System questioning every program to make sure there is accountability .

Edward ?Ed? Cheatham
Ed was an outstanding Board member and is seeking to return to the Board. Former Port Authority Police officer, United Nations Auditor in Kosovo, active member of the Board Facilities committee and Chair of Finance committees. Married to a JC teacher, father of a NJ pediatrician and grandparent. He has the dedication, knowledge and determination to help us succeed.

Jenny E. Campbell - New comer Parent Activist
JC Resident and Homeowner. Parent of 4 girls in JCPS - Ages 17, 11, 6, 4. Jenny is a Parent Volunteer for the JCPS Ambassador Program, Parent Activist .P.S. #16 - Save our School Campaign and for the JCPS AfterschoolPrograms reinstatement and Parent Advocate for Parental Involvement/Education
Registered Foster Parent - DYFS and Sr. Executive Asst. - Wachovia Bank,
Oldest daughter, Jazelle A. Hunt, winner of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, 2005 Youth of the Year for the Northeast Region

Thanks To Mia Scanga for getting this out to all of you.

Posted on: 2006/4/12 22:21
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

School Board Election -- Anyone Got a Clue?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I got my sample ballot for next week's school board election, and I really haven't got a clue on any of the candidates.

Except maybe Tony "The Polyester Suit" Cucci. I will prolly vote for him, just for laughs.

Did you know that he made a Best Dressed List, when he was mayor (or, maybe when he was running for mayor)? Which wuz really kinda funny, cuz he is definately a "polyester-suit, off-the-rack" kinda guy.

Anyway, any recommendations for da skool bored?

-M

Posted on: 2006/4/12 22:01
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017