Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Liberty Animal Shelter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like you're at least getting some press coverage on this. If the accusations are true, I hope they get rid of this guy.

From Jersey Journal, "City Council investigating complaints against Animal Control":

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index ... 43454441103060.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2006/3/27 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dear LHS Supporters:

Thank you for all your recent action around the request to remove Joe Frank from his position.
The Mayor?s Office and City Council were bombarded with your emails, faxes and phone calls. If you
have not had a chance to contact them yet, please do so as it will continue to make a difference.
Your efforts thus far have generated a much-awaited response. Corporation Counsel will meet this
Friday, February 10th to address this matter. In addition, LHS was granted a meeting with the
Mayor?s Chief of Staff on February 16th. These are direct results of all your recent support and
would not have been possible with your involvement.

Finally, the question about Joe Frank?s removal will be raised at the City Council meeting tonight
(Wednesday, February 08, 2006) at 7 pm. The meeting will be held on the 2nd floor of City Hall
(280 Grove Street). Please attend the meeting to show your support for the shelter.

With sincere gratitude,
Liberty Humane Society

Posted on: 2006/2/8 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Dang, caps! Not enough notice. Can you guys do another one with a little more warning (and the correct date)?

Thanks

Posted on: 2006/2/8 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
sorry, i confirmed the meet and greet it is today. Please note the clarification to date: on TUESDAY, February 7th, 2006, please call, email and fax the Mayor and your Council representative.

volunteer information

http://libertyhumane.org/index.php?mo ... leid=4&cntnt01returnid=31

Posted on: 2006/2/7 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Caps - you said you were having a volunteer meeting at the Merchant on Wed. Feb. 7th. However, Feb. 7th is a Tuesday (today). So please clarify exactly when it will be. I've been interested in volunteering for awhile and would like to come to this.

Thanks

Posted on: 2006/2/7 15:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/2 3:01
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Just stepping in to defend my position, here. I'm not "so against pit bulls", and yes, I have seen the "Dog Whisperer" program. Enjoyed it.

I fully agree, Valkin, in regards to the responsibility that humans need to have, in controlling/training their dogs, and maintaining pack order - ie keeping the dog, whatever the breed, in the submissive role. I'm a huge believer in this - I keep my dogs on leash and under control at all times, and do everything that I can to avoid confrontational situations with other dogs. If only every dog owner felt the same way, there wouldn't be problems.

As far as training pit bulls is concerned, I'm all for it. There are, however, dogs that even the strongest levels of training cannot effect entirely - generations of breeding for the purpose of fighting can't be overcome. Just as some border collies can't help but run circles around trees, some labs can't resist the temptation to jump into lakes, and most sighthounds will chase a squirrel right into traffic if given the chance, there are some pit bulls that cannot be broken of "gameness" - the drive to fight other dogs. Temperament is both hereditary and learned - a truth widely understood among knowledgeable dog breeders, researchers and behaviorists.

I love dogs - all breeds. I am stringently against breed-specific legislation. As I've said, I've known wonderful pit bulls, and pain in the butt pit bulls - just as with any other breed. But the matter of fighting lineage, along with jaw strength and lack of warning - these are traits that require a knowledgeable and strong leadership on the part of the owner. These dogs can be wonderful, but many pit bulls aren't just for anyone.

Posted on: 2006/2/3 20:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/15 4:12
From Formerly of Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
for those of you so against pit bulls, I suggest that you watch the "Dog Whisperer" on the National Geographic Channel and see what Ceasar Milan does.

Pit bulls are not "killer" dogs. There are dog owners that irresponsibly train the dog in negative ways to constantly get an attack response out of the dog for the purpose of fighting. If the dog were trained and reinforced in positive ways, this response wouldn't occur. If people would be responsible, keeping their animals on leashes and keeping them in a calm, submissive state, attacks wouldn't occur.

Dogs are social and hierarchical animals where there's a pack leader (which should be the human when interacting with us) and followers. There's a lot that we humans can do to keep dogs in a calm, submissive state. It is up to the humans to rehabilitate the dog and it's up to the humans to reinforce a submissive state. Killing a pit bull because *maybe* he'll attack someone isn't the answer.

Posted on: 2006/2/3 19:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Keep in mind that the first site you posted is a commercial site, part of whose purpose is to help people find dog breeders - naturally, with client links of pit bull breeders, they just might skip over the problems inherent in the breed. As well, I can't tell you how many people I've run into who speak up for pit bulls in much the way the second link you've provided does - even as far as calling informed, concerned folks (many of whom are involved in animal rescue, adoption and temperament testing) "uninformed", "overreactive" and "ignorant". However, notice how, in the site's articles, little mention is made of the pit bull's jaw strength, and lack of warning before the bite.

As I've said so many times about this matter, there are two sides to the situation. Just as with any breed, there are great pit bulls - wonderful animals who are beautifully socialized and a dream with people and other animals. Unfortunately, there are pit bulls who are maladjusted, and a danger to other animals - and at times to other people, as well. This truth applies to ALL breeds, not just the pit bull. But, taking into consideration the two truths I brought up before - jaw strength and characteristic lack of warning - the possibility of damage is much worse when a pit bull's involved.

Sorry to call into question the sites you've posted, but my involvement in animal rescue, as well as contacts with breed rescue coordinators (two of whom are actually directly involved with pit bull rescue) gives me a different take on the matter. When folks who are deeply and emotionally connected to the breed admit openly that such faults exist, well, I'm not one to argue.

Posted on: 2006/2/3 18:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/2/3 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
While I am not a pit bull owner, I am a dog person - regardless of breed. These dogs are just the current "evil" dog - previously it had been rotties, dobies and GSDs.

It is terribly unfair to lump those dogs who are obviously bad representations of the breed in with the many good representations of this breed.

According to many sources across the Web, human aggression is not a tolerable trait in pit bull type breeds. It was not tolerable with the dogmen of old who fought these dogs and it certainly should not be tolerable today.

Dog aggression and human aggression are two seperate entities and one should not be linked to the other. Just because a dog wants to eat another dog does not mean it will lead to said dog biting a person.

Dog aggression can be managed. I know, I do it every single day with our 7 y/o JRT/spaniel mix. He positively hates other dogs. He is extremely people friendly, however.

It is true that pit bulls are getting more media attention right now, but again, they're just the devil dog of the current time. There is no reason to rush out and ban these animals with fear-based bans like Denver has done.

What needs to occur is dog owners, in general, need to be more responsible for their animals. They need to know when and where their dog is at all times and keep them maintained, attend proper obedience classes and be responsible for their animal.

If their dog shows signs of human aggression, regardless of breed, it should be seen by a canine behavioralist and checked by a vet to make sure their are no underlying causes. If it continues to worsen/cannot be managed, the dog should be humanely euthanized.

If it is a shelter dog, temperment testing is definately the way to go. Properly screened homes and euthanization of all dogs, pit bulls or otherwise, that are not of sound temperment.

It's called responsibility and those who don't want to take it should not own a dog.

Posted on: 2006/2/3 17:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/14 20:38
From Journal Square / Marion
Group:
Registered Users
... I see people around Journal Square who are running there pitbulls off the leash, and training the dogs to be extra-agressive. That bothers me because one day someone is gonna get mauled. Especially since many owners of pitbulls refuse to get their dog neutred, because of their own machismo, and the belief that neutering a dog makes it less agressive.
... If there was a law mandating that all pitbulls in JC had be neutered and on a leash, then the dogs would be less dangerous....
....If you ban pitbulls outright, then people are just going to get rottweiler dogs or some other breed of fighting dog.

Posted on: 2006/2/3 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey city (we) are giving money and land for this place which mostly used for pit bull placement - 80%+!

Jersey City is getting over run with these killers -- There will be a law suit one of these days -- worse there will be a horrible attack on someone!

http://www.theunexpectedpitbull.com/donate.html
-------------------------------------------

Pit bull apologists, wake up
by C.W. Nevius - San Francisco Chronicle

Eighty-eight year old Mabel Wong was still in critical condition in John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek on Monday. She's been there since a week ago last Saturday, battling for her life, after a horrible mauling by a neighbor's pit bull near her Concord home.

In the aftermath, people wondered how it could happen. What did this little elderly lady do to trigger such an attack? The answer is simple and blunt. Nothing.

"This lady had interacted with this dog hundreds of times,'' said Lt. Abe Gamez of Contra Costa Animal Services. "She was just trying to get from one place to another.''

Whenever there is an account of a mauling by a pit bull, there is a howl of protest from those who love the breed. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners, they say. Or they ask how the media reporting the incident knew the dog was a pit bull. Pit bulls, they insist, are no more inherently dangerous than any other breed of dog.

That's not true.

"What I usually say is that it is not uncommon to spend thousands of dollars breeding a good hunting dog,'' says Gamez. "With a good hunting dog, that is not something you teach -- he's got it in his genes. The pit bull is bred for fighting.''

"You can't make a German shepherd stop herding,'' says Merritt Clifton, editor of the Washington-based Animal People magazine. "You can't make a Chihuahua stop barking.''

It is at this point that everyone starts yelling at each other and pointing fingers. My pit bull, someone says, plays with my children every day. He's the cutest, most affectionate pet we've ever had. Pits are no more aggressive or dangerous than beagles.

That's not true.

According to a study by the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, covering the years between 1979 and 1994, pit bulls were involved in 57 fatal attacks -- well over twice the number for the next breed on the list, rottweilers, with 19, and more than German shepherds (17), huskies (12) and malamutes (12) combined. A 2000 study by the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association concluded that pit bulls "were involved in 65 fatal attacks between 1979 and 1998 ... twice that of rottweilers and more than three times German shepherds.''

Even more damning are the statistics kept by Clifton, a dog activist who has been keeping meticulous records since 1982 of dog attacks severe enough to have been reported in the media. It should be noted that Clifton excludes attacks by guard dogs, police dogs and trained fighting dogs and does not chart cases where the breed is uncertain.

The numbers are stunning. As of last week, meaning Mabel Wong's mauling would be included, pit bulls were cited in 831 attacks. The next closest was the rottweiler with 373. No other breed made it out of double digits.

"They are off the charts,'' says Gamez. "If you look at the fatals and severe bites, you will see the majority are rottweilers and pits.''

But that's just part of the story. If you've been to an animal shelter lately, you know that it seems like half the dogs there are pit bulls. Naively, our family thought that was because families were not adopting them.

Actually, it is the result of a population boom in pit bulls. In the three days before the Fourth of July holiday, Clifton contacted 22 animal shelters, and compared the results with a study he did 11 years ago. In a sample of 2,918 dogs, he found that the number of rottweilers and pit bulls had increased five times, including an "astonishing'' four times more pit bulls. And, it is important to note that with spay and neuter programs, the number of animals of all breeds in shelters has actually been decreasing.

"I've been in this business since 1975,'' Gamez says. "In those days, we used to pick up lots of types of dogs, Irish setters, Afghans. Now you walk into a shelter, and every other dog is a pit bull. This has been going on for 10 years. It may appear to be exploding, but it has been happening exponentially.''

The result is more opportunities for that sudden, unexpected moment when a pit bull loses control. Gamez says he always cautions his officers to keep an eye on pit bulls when capturing them.

"They don't growl,'' says Gamez, who was also part of the team investigating the Shawn Jones mauling case in Richmond. "It usually just comes right after you. These dogs can just go off. And when they do, they cause tremendous damage.''

What can be done? Gamez says it is important to report incidents of menacing or intimidating behavior by dogs in your neighborhood to animal control. As in the Diane Whipple case in San Francisco, where people came forward after the fatal attack with accounts of having had earlier concerns about the dogs, Wong's neighbors are now reporting having had problems with the dog that attacked her.

And some cities and states are considering "breed specific'' legislation, passing a law to keep pit bulls and rottweilers out of populated neighborhoods. The idea has encountered a firestorm of opposition from owners and dog organizations.

"The human community has been in denial for 20 years,'' says Clifton. "There's only hope where we begin to recognize the problem. We need to get that layer of denial lifted.''

In the meantime, if you encounter a pit bull or a rottweiler, keep an eye on it no matter how often its owner says it is the sweetest little pup you've ever seen. That's especially true if it is a "rehabilitated'' dog, which has supposedly had its breeding curbed by good training.

"Rehabilitated,'' says Gamez, "means it hasn't bitten anyone lately.''

Posted on: 2006/2/3 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Call the EEOC, let them help you to get rid of this cretin.

All the calls, emails to politicians in the world won't do it.

Posted on: 2006/2/3 3:41
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
It's too bad there's politics at the animal shelter too.

Maybe you need Steve Fulop to shake things up, like he did with the Police Chief.

Posted on: 2006/2/3 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
A good point. (Fast eddie is referring to the Chief of Police.)

Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
So if he won't fire the freakin dog catcher, what are the chances of him ever firing the Chief?

Posted on: 2006/2/3 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Again I just want to stress -- Pit-Bulls and dogs bred to fight might be good with their owners but may not be good with their owner's children or with other people oout in the world - not to mention other dogs and animals. If these breeds get "set off" they are very scarey! They have killed and maimed countless people! It is an on going and daily problem across america -- just look, any random time, at the news. LAS should not be adopting these breeds out to older people, or to people with children -- maybe they shouldn't be adopting them at all! I think JC should look into a ban of these breeds, as many other cities are already doing. I know the government should not be supporting this in any way! Spay & Nueter and put them all on a remote secure farm somewhere -- Lovers of these dogs can donate to this/these farms and we can let the bred die out naturally -- but don't ask children and adult victims to pay the high price of keeping these breeds out and about.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned ... l+attack&btnG=Search+News

Quote:

However... I've also met pits that, while great with people, are basically nightmares with other dogs. It's important to remember that this breed has many, many years of lineage with a specific purpose - to fight other dogs. The other, more positive side to this matter is that they were bred to get along beautifully with, and respect, human beings.

Posted on: 2006/2/3 0:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Another 2 cents and another couple of steps away from the real topic of this thread...

I have met a few really sweet pitbulls and have fortunately never had a run-in with an aggressive one. But, my understanding of the American Temperament Test is that it really tests a dog's ability to distinguish when its appropriate or not to express aggressive, protective or defensive behavior, not really whether or not the dog has it in him to be aggressive. Its also important to distinguish the amount of damage a pitbull can inflict compared to say, a golden retriever, which has a lower average score on the ATT (not sure if that's a fact, I haven't checked but assume you have). Whereas an aggressive golden retriever would tend to bite and let go or bite and hold to restrain, pit bulls are programmed to inflict the maximum amount of damage and will not hesitate to do so. Pitbulls also have an extremely high tolerance to pain and will fight until exhaustion. We should be cognizant of what this means for someone who sets off the aggression in a pit bull as opposed to a golden retriever or beagle when we go touting the pit bulls ATT score.

Posted on: 2006/2/2 22:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Just hopping on in to add my 2 cents...

It's great that the pits you're allowed to walk are temperament-tested, and I can definitely say that I've met some really wonderful pits while out and about. However... I've also met pits that, while great with people, are basically nightmares with other dogs. It's important to remember that this breed has many, many years of lineage with a specific purpose - to fight other dogs. The other, more positive side to this matter is that they were bred to get along beautifully with, and respect, human beings.

Of course, every dog is different - I definitely believe that each animal has its own personality. However, it's unwise, and dangerous, to ignore the history of dog fighting in the pit bull's lineage. And although fights can start up between any two dogs, the immense strength of a pit's jaws can cause much, much more damage than that of many other dogs. Sadly, I've seen the aftermath of this in person - being involved in dog rescue and adoption groups, a good number of otherwise well-mannered pits have been turned in thanks to a spat with another dog within the same residence. Compared to the tears/lacerations/puncture wounds caused by most dogs, those that a pit can inflict are on a completely different level.

I greatly admire your volunteer work with the shelter, Welela - I have a huge appreciation for folks involved with rescue and adoption. But pits require a very high level of awareness on the part of the owner - obedience, socialization and temperament work are key.

I hope things work out well with the situation at the LAS. Will definitely be looking further into what the original poster claims.

Posted on: 2006/2/2 21:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/4/26 13:31
Group:
Registered Users
I am a volunteer at the shelter and can attest to the fact that pit bulls are wonderful dogs. American Temperment Testing has given them a passing score of 86.6 percent. That's a higher rating than a Golden Retriever. One of the most famous pit bulls of all time is "Petey" of "The Little Rascals". The ones that we are allowed to walk are all tested before we can touch them. I have NEVER had one growl or show any signs of aggression towards me. They are my all-time favorites to walk.

Please come and volunteer at the shelter and you can see for yourself how great these dogs are. And please support the shelter manager so she can keep doing the wonderful job that she has been doing all along!

Posted on: 2006/2/2 20:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/14 20:38
From Journal Square / Marion
Group:
Registered Users
...Watch what you say, 'cause you can be sued for libel and defamation, if you don't have evidence and/or witnesses.

....As for pitbulls....I saw once a pitbull trying to eat a cat...the poor cat was trapped under a car, and the owner was goading along the pitbull.....and shouting "get him!"

Posted on: 2006/2/2 19:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/6/25 17:49
Group:
Registered Users
I will be calling in and writing in to support the Shelter. The city needs an Animal Control Officer who supports the Shelter, its workers, its volunteers and the animals, not to mention working on behalf of the community instead of his own self-interest.

My understanding is that the Liberty Shelter came into being because another shelter that the city was dealing with previously was a disaster, shelter worker killed a dog by beating it to death with a shovel.

One would think if the Animal Control Officer was truly concerned about animals he would be working with the Liberty Shelter rather than against it. I have not heard one good word about this guy from anyone.

Obviously 30 years in the position is enough, talk about a waste of city money if he is spending it harassing people and the shelther instead of spending his time and city resources on helping animals. Get rid of the guy.

Posted on: 2006/2/2 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
The "why" part of your question GrovePath is because of the Liberty Humane Societies (LHS) proximity to the Greenville and Bergen Lafayette sections of Jersey City. These areas are stocked full of pitbulls. It's the dog of choice in these sections.

I have heard that many of these poor animals in this area are often the ones that could not match up in a fight and were essentially tossed away. The city needs to take a stronger stand on pitbull fighting and if you are caught fighting a pitbull then you will not be allowed to own another one. That goes for the pitbulls that have had histories of aggressive behavior. Sporting a macho, bad-ass dog that could fly off the handle and hurt someone is a person with little intelligence. To be fair, I am not talking about all pitbull owners. Only the ones that fight them or walk, in public, a knowling ill-mannered onen.

Until this area changes the main dog for adoption at the LHS will be the pitbull. Perhaps the neighboring humane societies could shuffle other breeds of dogs around for more of a selection.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Why is the Liberty Animal Shelter (LAS) so big on placing pit bulls and dogs bred to fight into homes in Jersey City. It seems like this is over 80% of what the LAS does. These dogs can hurt children and other people -- every day there is another news story about some poor person mauled or killed by these type of dogs.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=dog+attack

It is only a matter of time till someone in JC is hurt or killed by a dog from LAS.

And I know, I've heard it all before! "Your Pit Bull is different!" "It's not the breed it's the owners!"

Well all I can tell you is read the news!

Talk about JC getting sued!

Posted on: 2006/2/2 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why is the Liberty Animal Shelter (LAS) so big on placing pit bulls and dogs bred to fight into homes in Jersey City. It seems like this is over 80% of what the LAS does. These dogs can hurt children and other people -- every day there is another news story about some poor person mauled or killed by these type of dogs.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=dog+attack

It is only a matter of time till someone in JC is hurt or killed by a dog from LAS.

And I know, I've heard it all before! "Your Pit Bull is different!" "It's not the breed it's the owners!"

Well all I can tell you is read the news!

Talk about JC getting sued!

Posted on: 2006/2/2 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
This story sounds like you have legal grounds to proceed with a criminal/civil suit regarding employee harassment. You should notify the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and see this link here below:

Enforcement Guidance: Vicarious Employer Liability for Unlawful Harassment by Supervisors

Contact Info: 1-800-669-4000
info@ask.eeoc.gov

Newark Area Field Office
Raymond Blvd at McCarter Hwy (Rt.21)
Newark, New Jersey 07102-5233

Phone: 973-645-6383
Fax: 973-645-4524

Director: Corrado Gigante
Regional Attorney: Elizabeth Grossman
New York District Office
Office Hours: The Newark Area Office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday.

Iif your lawyers haven't already done the above you should proceed to do so ASAP as there are time urgent and complaint filing procedures you must follow and forget about talking to the city. Once they receive notice of a civil and criminal suit to the tune of 1mil+ for harassment, suffering and abuse then you'll get their attention real fast to settle or fire this a$$hole or both.

I don't doubt what you outline here I'm just surprised that your first thought and your lawyers wasn't to go to the EEOC to file charges.

Posted on: 2006/2/2 4:06
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
So if he won't fire the freakin dog catcher, what are the chances of him ever firing the Chief?

Good point...

This is insane. I'll be writing in. Just seems kind of strange that he'd be so bent out of shape about losing a temporary position like that. Especially with 30 years as the Animal Control officer, I'd think that he'd be looking forward to retirement in the near future.

Posted on: 2006/2/2 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/2/2 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
please help if you can

Posted on: 2006/2/2 2:49

Liberty Animal Shelter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
?This has made my life hell. I suffer from insomnia and chronic anxiety. I never know when the
next attack will come or what form it will take. Every time I see an Animal Control van I get a
knot in my stomach and I wonder, what is he going to do to me this time??

This is how Liberty Humane Society shelter manager Niki Dawson describes life at the shelter. Who
is she talking about? Jersey City Chief Animal Control Officer Joe Frank.

I?m writing to you today because we at LHS need your help. Most of you are aware of the problems
caused by Joe Frank, Chief ACO for the City of Jersey City. What you probably don?t know, is how
bad things have gotten.

Joe harasses Niki and sabotages LHS at every turn. He does whatever he can to impede our progress
and burden us with nonsense work. He ignores the contract we have with the City and does whatever
he wants, with no consequences. But what Joe loves to do more than anything, is use his law
enforcement authority to bully us. Over the past 3 years, Joe has threatened to file charges against
Niki and/or have her certification revoked 12 times. At least twice, Niki?s had to endure an
investigation from the SPCA because o Joe filed a bogus complaint with them, including one time when
the SPCA agent actually pulled his gun on her! (Both investigations decided Joe?s complaint was
meritless.) In the past year, Joe has threatened three other LHS employees with charges. He
actually did charge one LHS staff member with ?creating a public nuisance,? only to be forced to admit in
court that there was no odor in her home, only slight ?clutter.? The staff operates in a constant
state
of fear that if they don't do things Joe's way, one of them will be next. This is no way to
operate!

But I haven?t even told you the worst of it.

On October 27, Joe finally made good on his threats and filed animal cruelty charges against Niki.
Under New Jersey law, a conviction would have resulted in Niki?s certification being revoked,
meaning she would never be able to work in this field again. Her career with animals would have been
over. Thankfully, the prosecutor saw that the case had no merit and dismissed the charges on
January 10. But for three months, Niki had to go through the shame and embarrassment of wondering
what people would think if they found out, and the anxiety over not knowing whether her career with
animals might soon be over.

Why is Joe so bent on getting rid of us? We don?t have to wonder ? he?s perfectly up front about
it. Here?s the deal: When the shelter opened in 2002, Joe became the temporary shelter manager,
but was replaced after only 5 months by Niki. Bitter over having been replaced, Joe launched a
campaign of harassment against Niki to force her out of the job. His campaign continues to this
day. You see, , it seems Joe feels stuck in a dead-end job as Animal Control Officer, a job he has
held for 30 years. He saw the shelter manager's job as a way out. In Joe?s view, Niki and LHS
took the shelter manager?s job away from him, and now he will stop at nothing to force LHS out of the
management contract so that he can assume the management of the shelter for the City.

This ordeal is getting to us. It has made the daily lives of Niki and the shelter staff at times
unbearable. Imagine having to deal with the usual stress of getting 60+ cages clean, responding
to health emergencies, medicating sick animals, trying to find foster homes, arranging for
transport to the vet and to rescue, answering the phone (which rings constantly), making difficult
decisions about euthanasia, helping the public with pet-related emergencies ? now imagine doing all that,
every day, while knowing there?s a guy constantly coming up with ways to undermine you, trash your
reputation, and destroy your good work.

That?s what our staff goes through every day.

Think about this --- last year we spent 3 out of every 5 work days last year dealing with Joe?s
nonsense. We?ve put the City on notice of his attacks and threats and other disruptive tactics 74
times in the past 3 years. They never do anything more than give him a slap on the wrist. No one
takes this seriously because ?it?s just animals.? Joe is left to do whatever he wants. He
operates without any oversight whatsoever.

Dealing with Joe?s constant attacks and interference with our work also wastes our time and our
money. We?ve had to hire lawyers, investigators, etc. just to defend ourselves. Our precious
resources are diverted away from the animals to deflect his attacks. Here?s what we haven?t been able
to focus on because so much of our time is taken up with dealing with Joe?s hostility:

--Raise money for the new shelter
--Expand our spay/neuter program
--Offer basic obedience training to our dogs to make them more adoptable
--Improve/expand the volunteer program
--Raise more money for shelter programs (in particular for an outside exercise area and a new
transport van)
--Hire a vet so spay/neuter can be done in house (saves us money)

Our progress on getting the new shelter built has also been delayed because we spend so much time
on this.

This cannot go on.

The LHS has called on Mayor Healy to remove Joe Frank from his position as Animal Control Officer.
In a letter dated November 1, LHS President Laura Moss writes,

His abuse of office and official misconduct have been documented by our organization for over
three years. We have had enough of this harassment and need the City to replace him with a more
competent, cooperative and reasonable Animal Control Officer.

Moreover, after repeated incidents occurring over the life of LHS?s contract with the City, it has
become apparent that Joe Frank is not willing to work with our organization or abide by the terms
of our agreement with the City. His persistent hostile actions towards our group and our staff,
his repeated refusal to cooperate, and his adamant denial to provide us with even basic information,
has precluded the City from fulfilling its obligations to the LHS, and has hampered our ability to
fulfill our commitment to the City in regards to our contract.

Therefore, the Board of Directors of Liberty Humane Society request that Joe Frank be removed from
his position as Chief Animal Control Officer of Jersey City.

To date, we have not heard back from Mayor Healy regarding this request. We have also met with
Health & Human Services Director Harry Melendez and Corporation Counsel (the City?s lawyer) about
this issue. Nothing.

Don?t misunderstand ? City officials agree that Joe?s actions are intolerable and something needs
to be done about it. They just don?t do anything.

In order to get the City, and the Mayor to take action, we need your help.

We need you to call, email and fax the Mayor on Wednesday, February 7. We also ask that you
contact your Council representative as well. (If you don?t know who your Council rep, is, email us
with your address and we?ll let you know.) There are two phone numbers for each rep below.

A sample letter/script follows below with contact info. I will also be on hand at the Volunteer
Meet & Greet (February 7, The Merchant, 279 Grove Street, JC, 7:00 pm ? 9:00 pm) to talk about
further action items and our overall strategy. Please help us. Enough is enough!

Diana Jeffrey
LHS Treasurer and Past President

Sample letter/script:

Letter ? Dear Mayor Healy,
I am a supporter/volunteer of Liberty Humane Society. I was distressed to learn that Joe Frank
recently charged shelter manager Niki Dawson with animal cruelty. While the charges were dismissed,
this kind of abuse of power should not be tolerated. I understand that he has been trying to
undermine the Liberty Humane Society for years. He does not respect the contract between the LHS and
the City, and it is clear he will not stop his abuse voluntarily. Therefore, I ask that you grant
the LHS?s request that Joe Frank be removed from his position as Animal Control Officer.

Sincerely,

Phone call Script:

I am calling to request that Mayor Healy honor the Liberty Humane Society?s request that Joe Frank
be removed as Animal Control Officer. I understand that he has been trying to undermine the
Liberty Humane Society for years, that he does not respect the contract between the LHS and the City,
and that he won?t stop voluntarily. The LHS has requested he be removed from this position and I
would like the Mayor to honor that request. Thank you.

Mayor?s contact information:
Email: MayorHealy@jcnj.org
Fax: (201) 547 ? 4288 (or 5442)
Phone: (201) 547 ? 5500

Council fax number: (201) 547-4678

Mariano Vega, Jr.Council President
(201) 547-5268 (201) 547-5458
Willie FloodCouncilwoman-at-Large
(201) 547-5134 (201) 547-5108
Peter BrennanCouncilman-at-Large
(201) 547-5319 (201) 547-5363
Michael SottolanoWard A Councilman