Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Property Tax Hike
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

light12v wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
What does a green solution has to do with property taxes? Property taxes are services like the maintenance of roads. Some of us get the tax increase like one family homeowners, condo condos and owner occupied 1 to 4 family homes. Others do not, it has nothing to do with green energy. JC property taxes is equivalent of being forced to pay for someone's else dinner bill in the restaurant. You did not eat the meal, but the restaurant owner gives you the bill anyway.

The Green part of the SF Direct Usage Zero Waste Solution is a by-product perk where each property pays only for what/how they discard.....so there is no one paying for someone else's dinner.

San Francisco Zero Waste program Incentivizes folks to Re-Cycle & reduce Solid Waste, which is a good thing.

https://www.epa.gov/transforming-waste ... -case-study-san-francisco

Then you would have to change JC's rent control ordinance. The ordinance does not allow tax increases but increases based on the Consumer Price Index, so if water or taxes increase, the tenants cannot have an increase. So, right now if school taxes go up, tenants do not pay, the landlord goes to tax court to appeal and they get a reduction. So the one bedroom condo owner is paying the taxes of a 10 unit family building under rent control. This is similar to Social Security increases.

Posted on: 2021/1/31 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
What does a green solution has to do with property taxes? Property taxes are services like the maintenance of roads. Some of us get the tax increase like one family homeowners, condo condos and owner occupied 1 to 4 family homes. Others do not, it has nothing to do with green energy. JC property taxes is equivalent of being forced to pay for someone's else dinner bill in the restaurant. You did not eat the meal, but the restaurant owner gives you the bill anyway.

The Green part of the SF Direct Usage Zero Waste Solution is a by-product perk where each property pays only for what/how they discard.....so there is no one paying for someone else's dinner.

San Francisco Zero Waste program Incentivizes folks to Re-Cycle & reduce Solid Waste, which is a good thing.

https://www.epa.gov/transforming-waste ... -case-study-san-francisco

Posted on: 2021/1/31 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
As a fellow property tax payer I have to agree with Yvonne, property taxes help fund and sustain city services, outside of grants the money has to be sourced from somewhere and bills have to be paid. It is usually extracted from the pockets of building owners or automobile owners through their neglect of operating a vehicle. Tickets and taxes help make the city go round.

Posted on: 2021/1/28 23:56
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2021/1/24 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps, but a rather long-way around logic at best IMO.
Why not just adopt the method of promoting a more direct Green Solution as they did in SF to incentivize folks to learn/adopt a better way by charging for Direct Measure Usage at a property.
With the by-product benefit of receiving fresh compost to reinvigorate our local soil quality.
Quote:

MDM wrote:
There is logic to this:

JC has an issue with building over-stuffed with people. Two buildings within blocks of me were examples. One had 60 people living in a Bayonne Box style 2 family. The landlord was charging each about $600 a month for enough space for a mattress (tenants were all from India). The place got busted by the fire department after they went in the building due to a small fire.

Number of people in a building directly affects the water consumption and the amount of trash produced. So basing it on water consumption would help hit places like I described above.

NJ is shipping trash to all the way PA and VA. Garbage disposal costs are really out of control here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions.

Quote:

light12v wrote:

Whatever the connection/relationship between long showers & solid waste generation might be in order to establish such a tax assessment metric is Hell & Far beyond me to explain....... IMHO Ridiculous.....

Posted on: 2021/1/24 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
There is logic to this:

JC has an issue with building over-stuffed with people. Two buildings within blocks of me were examples. One had 60 people living in a Bayonne Box style 2 family. The landlord was charging each about $600 a month for enough space for a mattress (tenants were all from India). The place got busted by the fire department after they went in the building due to a small fire.

Number of people in a building directly affects the water consumption and the amount of trash produced. So basing it on water consumption would help hit places like I described above.

NJ is shipping trash to all the way PA and VA. Garbage disposal costs are really out of control here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions.

Quote:

light12v wrote:

Whatever the connection/relationship between long showers & solid waste generation might be in order to establish such a tax assessment metric is Hell & Far beyond me to explain....... IMHO Ridiculous.....

This is an immigration issue but JC is a welcoming city so you cannot address this problem without being called a racist. In the late 1990s, there was a raid on Grand St with 50 Chinese men in a home using a bucket for a bathroom. They took turns sleeping in bunk beds. It was stated, these men worked in the Chinese restaurants in NYC.

Posted on: 2021/1/16 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
There is logic to this:

Quote:

light12v wrote:

Posted on: 2021/1/13 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I Read that they would calculate the property charges [fees] for 'solid waste removal' based upon the Water Usage at the premises ! [God help ya if you pop a leak, or have a running toilet issue]

Posted on: 2021/1/12 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Good point MDM, although I thought we were already in this new paradigm. I just find the coincidence with the JMUA rainy day raid a little suspicious. I don't know what a "good" rate should be vs what we will pay.

Posted on: 2021/1/3 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
"Recycling" regime collapsed after China created a near total ban on scrap imports in 2018 (with India, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, and other countries following suit). Pre-ban municipalities got paid to have their recycling taken away. Now, recycling costs more than regular trash, with most of it sitting in warehouses, dumped in landfills, or burned in WtE plants.

Municipal budgets in particular in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states are being blown out as a result.

Posted on: 2021/1/3 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info... It seems like a back door installment tax to pay for the raid on the JMUA slush fund last year to balance the books. I was wondering how we would end up paying.. so here we are. My take on this is that the municipal portion was not actually balanced last year. I can appreciate that the city had to frontload a lot of covid-related expenses but it would have been better to be more transparent with the taxpayer.

Posted on: 2021/1/3 19:09

Property Tax Hike
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It looks like property taxes could go up a couple of dollars, per $100k assessed value due to garbage collection rates.
https://www.nj.com/hudson/2021/01/jers ... and-recycling-pickup.html

Posted on: 2021/1/3 18:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017