Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Advertising a rental... Craigslist not working so well now
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Congrats. You could also have experienced the "3rd week of the month syndrome", where people stop window shopping and have to close a deal.

Posted on: 2019/9/24 19:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I was about to try streeteasy and have my wife help me with facebook marketplace. However, someone called Sunday who had seen ad on Trulia (from the posting I did on hotpad) and we signed lease last night with great couple. I learned the lesson that I can't just rely on Craigslist (though I got a few leads this time) most of the calls/visits came from Trulia/hotpads/zillow. Not sure if it was coincidence but once the pictures of the bedrooms were up most of the activity came. I initially held off as the stove was in the bedroom while they were finishing up work in the apartment.

So after a slow start the renting process was wrapped up in a week which I think was a record for me on Romaine. It was also clear that since I last listed this apartment in 2014 that more people priced out of city/downtown are willing to give JSQ area a try. While talking to prospective tenants I also had more area restaurants to mention on the west side of town that did not exist in 2014. On the way home I stopped in the revamped Journal Square Pub/Lounge and had a great pork belly sandwich!

Posted on: 2019/9/24 15:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
streeteasy.com also operates in Jersey City - maybe try that?

Posted on: 2019/9/20 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to get some pictures of the bedrooms. I re-looked at the drawing and the smaller one was 7'3" X 10' 9" - wouldn't that be more than 70 sq feet or is there a loss factor that is supposed to be calculated?

Huh, that dimensions I read as 73"x 109" in that low rez image because there was no marks indicating ft & in, but some of the others seem to, so I guess you're right. Never mind and good luck. Nice looking place, and I assume you got it cheap if it was a while back.

And yes, CL has gone to hell for getting tenants, there's too many scammers, repeat postings, and deceptive location descriptions. From the renter POV the signal to noise is low.

Posted on: 2019/9/20 2:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to get some pictures of the bedrooms. I re-looked at the drawing and the smaller one was 7'3" X 10' 9" - wouldn't that be more than 70 sq feet or is there a loss factor that is supposed to be calculated?

While I always had a roommate when I lived there and most tenants have also used it as a BR I always wished that it was a little bigger. On the other hand the living room/dining room/kitchen were always great for entertaining. I had some great parties there back in my 20s!

Posted on: 2019/9/19 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
I am advertising now an apartment on Romaine Ave for 1st time in 5 years. I had always used Craig's List and got a fair amount of interest and would always get a lease signed with good candidate within a few weeks.

After a kitchen renovation and general upgrade I put it up Sunday at $1,875 and only got a few responses. Not sure if Craig's List is not as effective as it used to be or if price was on high side I just relisted at $1775. I also for 1st time just put on hotpads which seems to connect to Zillow/Trulia. Any constructive criticism let me know. I think I need to get better pictures.

As I remember Thursdays were a good day to put up as people make weekend plans of what they want to check out.

Https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/apa ... 2br-condo/6981911742.html

Good on you for posting the plan of the unit, but just to be a pain I'll point out the front "bedroom" is too small to be a legal bedroom. Min is 70 sq ft, that's 55 according to the drawing.

Quote:
B.Required space in sleeping rooms. Except as required under Subsection C, each room utilized for sleeping purposes shall have a minimum dimension of seven (7) feet and a minimum net floor area of seventy (70) square feet for the initial occupant, fifty (50) square feet for each additional occupant, except that children under one (1) year of age shall not be counted as occupants for the purpose of this section. In existing structures built prior to 1951, if any dwelling has no room at least ten (10) feet by twelve (12) feet in size, two (2) persons will be allowed to sleep in the largest room therein so long as it is nine (9) feet in size at least.

https://library.municode.com/nj/jersey ... IMISPUSEGRE_S254-33CEHERE

Posted on: 2019/9/19 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
I am advertising now an apartment on Romaine Ave for 1st time in 5 years. I had always used Craig's List and got a fair amount of interest and would always get a lease signed with good candidate within a few weeks.

After a kitchen renovation and general upgrade I put it up Sunday at $1,875 and only got a few responses. Not sure if Craig's List is not as effective as it used to be or if price was on high side I just relisted at $1775. I also for 1st time just put on hotpads which seems to connect to Zillow/Trulia. Any constructive criticism let me know. I think I need to get better pictures.

As I remember Thursdays were a good day to put up as people make weekend plans of what they want to check out.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/apa ... 2br-condo/6981911742.html

you don't have any pictures of the bed rooms. I thought it was a railroad that you were trying to position as a "two bedroom" - could be other viewers are thinking that tool.

Posted on: 2019/9/19 14:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/apa ... 2br-condo/6981911742.html

Posted on: 2019/9/19 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Have you tried Nextdoor.com?

Posted on: 2019/3/20 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
So any other ideas on where to list rentals?

Posted on: 2019/3/20 14:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/5 9:25
From Spain
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped using Craigslist it doesn't show my property for sale in Jersey city https://tranio.com/usa/adt/1708345/ So i just use other websites to advertise it. And I get some good potential buyers, lets see...

Posted on: 2019/2/5 9:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
You might want to try a realtor and offer to pay half or full commission.

Posted on: 2019/1/25 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Is there a way to have a business presence without a personal one? As for rental agents, consider they're the bottom of the realtor food chain, trying to work their way up to sales, most of whom are also don't listen or want to work hard for you.

No. A personal account must be set up to run the business page. But businesses can't advertise on facebook marketplace anyway, that's a P-2-P system.

Posted on: 2019/1/23 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
As for rental agents, consider they're the bottom of the realtor food chain, trying to work their way up to sales, most of whom are also don't listen or want to work hard for you.

I fully understand that rental listings can be the worst gig for a real estate agent. But, how someone handles small, seemingly insignificant, tasks tells you a lot about their personality and work ethic. If they can't be bothered to do a good job, a job from which they will get a commission, it is hard (to me, at least) to work up the desire/will to give them my business.

If I have to chase a realtor to get them to send me forms to give them money (in the form of checks for deposits, etc) that's a definite problem.

Posted on: 2019/1/22 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I think facebook marketplace is largely replacing Craigslist. A major problem with Craigslist is that you are anonymous which is ripe for scammers. On facebook, yes you can set up a fake account but it's far more effort to not only do that but then populate your page with what appears to be legit activity.

Is there a way to have a business presence without a personal one? As for rental agents, consider they're the bottom of the realtor food chain, trying to work their way up to sales, most of whom are also don't listen or want to work hard for you.

Posted on: 2019/1/22 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think facebook marketplace is largely replacing Craigslist. A major problem with Craigslist is that you are anonymous which is ripe for scammers. On facebook, yes you can set up a fake account but it's far more effort to not only do that but then populate your page with what appears to be legit activity.

Posted on: 2019/1/22 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Just wondering why you do not use a realtor? They perform background checks and charge the tenant the fee.

I have generally found realtors to be rather worthless.

This goes both from both sides! In my 12+ years in JC, the two apartments I have rented were ones I found on my own. Every time I have dealt with a realtor, it has been a colossal waste of time. Almost always, the realtor was finding and showing places that were not at all what I wanted, or seemed wholly uninterested in the process. And, almost every time, the realtor would show up late and then just let me/us into a place to look around but was hardly able to answer any questions or provide any insight. I often wonder how much oversight is applied to the realty staff by landlords and buildings, because there is no way they would be pleased with the service being provided.

+1

Posted on: 2019/1/22 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Just wondering why you do not use a realtor? They perform background checks and charge the tenant the fee.

This goes both from both sides! In my 12+ years in JC, the two apartments I have rented were ones I found on my own. Every time I have dealt with a realtor, it has been a colossal waste of time. Almost always, the realtor was finding and showing places that were not at all what I wanted, or seemed wholly uninterested in the process. And, almost every time, the realtor would show up late and then just let me/us into a place to look around but was hardly able to answer any questions or provide any insight. I often wonder how much oversight is applied to the realty staff by landlords and buildings, because there is no way they would be pleased with the service being provided.

Posted on: 2019/1/22 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
You gotta trust your gut. I rented a place to a nice couple that I thought might be high maintenance, but it got the place filled quickly. Oh...regrets!

I had a single woman in her early 30s that my gut said she would be an issue. But the rent market was terrible and I was in a financial rough patch. So I rented to her...

I did Snoopy dances the day she told me she was moving out. Mentally, the woman was a dumpster fire and getting rent from her was a Herculean effort at times. Nothing like having her setup direct deposit and still only getting $7.68 in rent for the month.

Posted on: 2019/1/22 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
thanks

Posted on: 2019/1/22 1:50
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:

Same. But not just that, the showing is when I get to size up a tenant. In NJ the last time you can make a choice about a tenant is offering them a lease, unlike most places where you can choose not to renew. You gotta trust your gut. I rented a place to a nice couple that I thought might be high maintenance, but it got the place filled quickly. Oh...regrets!

Posted on: 2019/1/22 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:

The people who are willing to pay a one month fee are generally not looking for apartments in the areas that my buildings are (not Downtown or in Hoboken). I have generally found realtors to be rather worthless.

Posted on: 2019/1/21 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/1/21 19:47
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Anyone here have an issue with Craigslist these days? I listed an apartment, but it seems to not come up in a search, even though the ad is confirmed to be active.

What are good alternatives to list a rental?

Yeah, CL is hitting hard times, the signal to noise has gotten so low with so many fakes, AB&B, miscategorized listings and multiple listings of the same place. I've seen my ads not show up too in the map,, but show if I keyword search them. I've also heard of listers being "secretly blacklisted" where it doesn't show but lets you see it. I've tried Zillow, Zumper, Hotpads and several others, supposedly there's someplace on Facebook but I'm a "never Facebook".

Posted on: 2019/1/21 18:37

Advertising a rental... Craigslist not working so well now
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone here have an issue with Craigslist these days? I listed an apartment, but it seems to not come up in a search, even though the ad is confirmed to be active.

What are good alternatives to list a rental?

Posted on: 2019/1/20 21:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017