Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: I got sanitation violations for garbage that someone illegally dumped
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
As vile as it sounds going through the garbage could result in finding the culprit.

Posted on: 2019/5/13 18:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/21 13:17
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Got two of my tickets dismissed after finding enough proofs that the neighbor next door dumped them in front of my building.

Posted on: 2019/5/12 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
tenants to screw with you.

As if I remember you had happen involving fire extinguishers.

No, that was more general Green Card paranoia on my part. I did have a tenant call all sorts of agencies on me once though. Gone, thank God, all my tenants are pretty decent now, all but one high functioning.

My biggest concern now is this new FD inspection activity. That's going to be a shitshow. A perfect storm of poor training and aggressive behavior.

Posted on: 2019/3/14 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
tenants to screw with you.

As if I remember you had happen involving fire extinguishers.

Posted on: 2019/3/14 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Uggh. Even with a motion cam like a Wyze, you don't even know there's an issue till you get a ticket weeks layer. Then you need enough memory to keep weeks of captures, and have to dig back through them. Even if you know the day, on a busy street that's a whole lot of screening.

Lets take an "Originalist" POV on this: what could we possible do to protect ourselves before this cam technology? Surely any good legislation can't need to be based on the latest tech to be fair? One thing I'm glad of is most people don't know how nasty these fines are, what an opportunity for disgruntled neighbors and tenants to screw with you.

Posted on: 2019/3/14 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
camera

Posted on: 2019/3/14 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
How can you find out the cost of the violation -- 287-8H? I tried calling but no one answers the phone. Is there a site to look this up?

? 1-25. - General penalty.
[Amended 3-27-2002 by Ord. No. 02-035; 10-23-2013 by Ord. No. 13-113 ; 1-25-2017 by Ord. No. 17-005 ]

A. Notwithstanding any other section of this Code or any other ordinance, the maximum penalty for violating any provision of this Code shall be, in the discretion of the Court, a fine of up to two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) and/or imprisonment for a period of up to ninety (90) days and/or a period of community service not exceeding ninety (90) days; provided, however, that for the violation of an ordinance pertaining to solid waste disposal the maximum penalty shall be ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00), and the minimum penalty shall be two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00); provided further,

however, that for violations of Chapter 287 by owners of multiple-family residential property, the minimum penalty shall be:

1. Two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) for properties that are one (1) to four (4) units; and

2. Five hundred dollars ($500.00) for properties that are five (5) or more units.

B. Each day a violation of any provision of this Code or any ordinance shall continue shall constitute a separate offense. This section shall not affect any mandatory minimum penalty established by any section of the Code or ordinance.

C. In addition to the penalties hereinabove provided, any condition caused or permitted to exist in violation of any of the provisions of this Code or any ordinance shall be deemed to be a public nuisance and may be abated by the city as provided by law, and each day that such condition continues shall be regarded as a new and separate offense.

D. Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 40:69A-29, any person who is convicted of violating an ordinance within one (1) year of the date of a previous violation of the same ordinance and who was fined for the previous violation, shall be sentenced by a court to an additional fine as a repeat offender.

The additional fine imposed by the court upon a person for a repeated offense shall not be less than the minimum or exceed the maximum fine fixed for a violation of the ordinance, but shall be calculated separately from the fine imposed for the violation of the ordinance.

Source

Scroll down to find ? 287-29. - Violations and penalties. - click on link to go to source.

And for the future - get out those Nest cameras and earn big:

? 287-14. - Reward; payment upon collection of fine. [Added 10-13-1981 by Ord. No. MC-21]

Whenever any individual shall furnish evidence to the city of unlawful dumping activity and such evidence, in the opinion of the Director of Public Works, results in the conviction and fine of the offender, 25% of the fine, when collected, shall be paid to said individual furnishing such evidence; provided, however, that no such reward shall be paid to any person who is charged with the duty to or has the power to enforce any of the provisions of this article.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 0:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
How can you find out the cost of the violation -- 287-8H? I tried calling but no one answers the phone. Is there a site to look this up?

Posted on: 2019/3/12 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

animalrelated wrote:
I have a neighboring building who illegally dumps in front of my stoop. How can I report them?

Setup a good camera with motion detection and collect evidence.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 16:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have a neighboring building who illegally dumps in front of my stoop. How can I report them?

Posted on: 2019/3/12 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Only one appearence.

Huh, must be only if you actually plea "not guilty" that you have to come back. Decades ago I drove 2 hrs to upstate NY to contest a speeding ticket and they had the nerve to say I had to come back! Some racket.

Posted on: 2019/3/11 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Did it take you 2 appearances each time, one for the arraignment and one for hearing? What was that "Minimum fine"? I recently went to court on this for 2 (they rescheduled twice), but when I saw the way it was going, I just paid it, $400.

Only one appearence.

My last time was pre-Fulop as mayor. Fine was $150. I guess it went up a lot since then. Paid $0 as the prosecutor let me off. The judge that time around required me to talk to the Prosecutor first if I was pleading 'guilty with explanation'. I guess the Prosecutor was in a good mood because he let me off.

I had an issue with the elderly-not-all-there-mentally mother of my tenant who was staying as a guest. She just kept putting out trash at random times on the curb.

Posted on: 2019/3/11 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Not much you can do. As the property owner, you are responsible.

The last few times I ended up in court for same / similar, I pleaded "Guilty with an explanation". Two things happened:

1. Minimum fine with court costs waved.
2. Prosecutor dropped charges.

Usually #1 happened.

Did it take you 2 appearances each time, one for the arraignment and one for hearing? What was that "Minimum fine"? I recently went to court on this for 2 (they rescheduled twice), but when I saw the way it was going, I just paid it, $400. This stuff is simply nasty, there's just nothing you can do, especially if you don't live there. It's hard enough to control your own tenants, never mind what gets dropped on your property. Often you don't even know about it till you get the summons in the mail weeks later.

Posted on: 2019/3/11 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not much you can do. As the property owner, you are responsible.

The last few times I ended up in court for same / similar, I pleaded "Guilty with an explanation". Two things happened:

1. Minimum fine with court costs waved.
2. Prosecutor dropped charges.

Usually #1 happened.

If you know who did it (and you have proof) you can take that person(s) to court and recover the cost of your fine.

Posted on: 2019/3/11 15:04

I got sanitation violations for garbage that someone illegally dumped

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/21 13:17
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

Did anyone go through the same situation??
Someone just freely dumped their bulky garbage on my bins and when sanitation came they summoned me with two violations. One is: 287-8H and second one is: 287-42A, both in one day. If anyone has any experience with the same situation, could you advise what to do??

Posted on: 2019/3/11 14:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017