Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC plans to install 80+ speed bumps in 2019.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Recently a friggin bus blew through an intersection with me and a woman/carriage standing in the middle. That turned out great... a Jersey City cop behind the bus stopped, let us clear the intersection, turned lights went on and he caught the jerk down by Grand and Grove.

wait, a JC cop actually a) stopped for pedestrians, and b) went after somebody who didn't???

we are living in the upside-down.

LOL.... it was a big carriage in the crosswalk. Have to admit I did have to gesture that we were in the crosswalk and point to the bus speeding down Grand Street.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Recently a friggin bus blew through an intersection with me and a woman/carriage standing in the middle. That turned out great... a Jersey City cop behind the bus stopped, let us clear the intersection, turned lights went on and he caught the jerk down by Grand and Grove.

wait, a JC cop actually a) stopped for pedestrians, and b) went after somebody who didn't???

we are living in the upside-down.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:
I am not sure how far this , 'the pedestrian can do absolutely no wrong attitude ' the city has adopted since the Fulop administration will take us. There has zero effort to encourage pedestrians to drop unsafe habits like jay walking, standing a good yard or so onto the road while waiting to cross the street.
nope. this lady was not jay walking. she was trying to cross in the striped zone and these cars just would not stop for a slow walking person. pedestrians always have right of way at a non-controlled intersection!

This is a SERIOUS problem in JC. I see it happen all over DTJC, almost daily. I have had many close calls with other cars almost rear ending me when I have stopped for pedestrians. I have seen cars get annoyed and drive around someone yielding to pedestrians, and then narrowly miss them. Pedestrians do need to do their part: don?t stand at the corner if you don?t intend to cross (weirdly, this happens often) and DO assert your right of way when you approach a crosswalk.

Overall, there needs to be more education around this issue. Collectively, we definitely lag behind other countries when it comes to pedestrians, cyclists, and cars, sharing space.

I think there's a lot right on both sides of this issue. However another real problem here is that a minority of people feel the law doesn't apply to them. That they have the right to cross the street where they really shouldn't be, or they have the right to drive around a car stopped for pedestrians, or drive around a school bus with its lights flashing, or speed through high pedestrian traffic areas.

Unfortunately the only way to deal with that is far comprehensive enforcement, or something as simple as speed bumps.
other than jaywalking and at intersections with lights, pedestrans have the right of way. how hard is that to understand. the moment a person puts their foot onto the street, cars NEED t stop.

Dude, you are preaching to the choir. I don't think anyone in here will argue against what you are saying. It is clear that pedestrian safety is low on the totem pole of most drivers' mentality. Still, I think this is a problem that will require a concerted effort and education campaign. As a cyclist, I have been yelled at MANY times to get off the road and get on the sidewalk, as a pedestrian, I have had to rush across a crosswalk to avoid getting hit, and as a driver I have had people jump onto the road from in between cars never playing any attention to incoming traffic. Everybody has to do their part, and we certainly could use more enforcement, but most cops see this type of thing as minor annoyances and not worth their time. Witness the myriad cops that blow through STOP signs themselves, or who are witness to both jaywalking and out of control drivers, and they seldom if ever do anything about it.

I don't have an answer. Speed bumps can help with the speeding (sure wish they would put one or two on 1st Street, on the blocks between Marin and Warren) but that would only address speeding, and not crosswalk issues (try crossing Marin Blvd at Bay St during rush hour... it's like a game of Frogger, except you don't get three lives) or the many other issues. Speed bumps are a first step, but we really need a comprehensive solution, and not a band aid.

BTW - It is not as clear cut as you seem to think and stated:
"but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield."

In other words, pedestrians have the right of way but must not "abuse" that right by jumping onto a crosswalk in such a way that oncoming traffic can not stop safely or on time.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ThirdStreet wrote: Quote:
hero69 wrote: other than jaywalking and at intersections with lights, pedestrans have the right of way. how hard is that to understand. the moment a person puts their foot onto the street, cars NEED t stop.
Okay... I personally prefer to apply and common sense and mindfulness to every situation whether as a driver or a pedestrian. However some people l do seem to think that they will be fine as long they apply their simple rules and formulas and declarations. They must the same people that decide to keep walking enter the intersection when a car going 15 miles an hour is only about 30 feet away. For what it's worth, I am the driver that stop a good 10 15 feet away if I spot a pedestrian waiting to cross the street .
of course sense needs to apply, but drivers need to be prepared to STOP the moment they see someone at an uncontrolled intersection about to cross. In other cities, such as LA, they do this for the most part. why can't they do that in JC?

Posted on: 2019/2/24 22:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
other than jaywalking and at intersections with lights, pedestrans have the right of way. how hard is that to understand. the moment a person puts their foot onto the street, cars NEED t stop.

Okay...
I personally prefer to apply and common sense and mindfulness to every situation whether as a driver or a pedestrian. However some people l do seem to think that they will be fine as long they apply their simple rules and formulas and declarations. They must the same people that decide to keep walking enter the intersection when a car going 15 miles an hour is only about 30 feet away.

For what it's worth, I am the driver that stop a good 10 15 feet away if I spot a pedestrian waiting to cross the street .

Posted on: 2019/2/24 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Agreed... I actually stand in marked crosswalks on Grand Street to help older people and mothers pushing a carriage holding on to toddler hands. Recently a friggin bus blew through an intersection with me and a woman/carriage standing in the middle. That turned out great... a Jersey City cop behind the bus stopped, let us clear the intersection, turned lights went on and he caught the jerk down by Grand and Grove.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Good. Te City needs to install stop signs or speed bumps at most intersections where there is no light. yesterday, i watched in horror as several cars failed to yield to an 80 year old woman trying to cross the street. absolutely, ridiculous.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Growing up in JC I don?t recall any issues crossing city streets and all we had were ancient traffic lights and 2 white cross walk lines. Also seems there was way more traffic I think every teenager got a car once they turned 17 and families had a car for dad going to work (yikes so 1950-ish) in the many factories and office buildings in JC. All kinds of shifts so it seemed cars were always on the road. Would be interesting to see stats on number of cars on the road and pedestrian accidents from waaay baaack when. The massive cars didn?t stop on a dime like they do today either and didn?t have speed bumps to slow the American steel tanks down. I get a kick out of the posted signs on poles for pedestrians on how to cross a city street. I guess now a days it is distracted drivers with cell phones and the right on red law. (gotta remember to look both ways before turning) Drivers are not paying attention.

Won?t comment on the bike lanes but gee every kid growing up in JC had a prized bike and road them all over JC. Going to every park in JC for Dept. of Recreation events or to summer city jobs or the movies Up The Square. Biking (or walking) to college SPC (now SPU) or JCSC (now NJCU) We didn?t need no stinking bike lanes. (or have any helmets... yikes!!!) Glad they have them today because of said distracted drivers I guess.

(this nj gov web site has a lot of info. do's and don't for pedestrians, children, seniors, motorists along with safty website links)

https://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/pedestrian.html

MOTORISTS in New Jersey MUST stop for pedestrians in a marked crosswalk. Failure to observe the law may subject you to one or more of the following:

2 POINTS

$200 FINE (plus court costs)

15 DAYS COMMUNITY SERVICE

INSURANCE SURCHARGES

NEW JERSEY STATUTE 39:4-36
Driver to stop for pedestrian:
exceptions, violations. penalties.

A.
The driver of a vehicle must stop and stay stopped for a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk, but shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals, or where otherwise prohibited by municipal, county, or State regulation, and except where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided, but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

Whenever any vehicle is stopped to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

Every pedestrian upon a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

B. A person violating this section shall, upon conviction thereof, pay a fine to be imposed by the court in the amount of $200. The court may also impose a term of community service not to exceed 15 days.

C. Of each fine imposed and collected pursuant to subsection B. of the section, $100 shall be forwarded to the State Treasurer who shall annually deposit the moneys into the ?Pedestrian Safety Enforcement and Education Fund? created by section 1 of PL 2005, c 84 (C.39:4-36.2)

PEDESTRIANS MUST obey pedestrian signals and use crosswalks at signalized intersections. Both carry a $54.00 fine for failure to observe the law.
(C.39:4-32 and 33)

Posted on: 2019/2/24 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:
I am not sure how far this , 'the pedestrian can do absolutely no wrong attitude ' the city has adopted since the Fulop administration will take us. There has zero effort to encourage pedestrians to drop unsafe habits like jay walking, standing a good yard or so onto the road while waiting to cross the street.
nope. this lady was not jay walking. she was trying to cross in the striped zone and these cars just would not stop for a slow walking person. pedestrians always have right of way at a non-controlled intersection!

This is a SERIOUS problem in JC. I see it happen all over DTJC, almost daily. I have had many close calls with other cars almost rear ending me when I have stopped for pedestrians. I have seen cars get annoyed and drive around someone yielding to pedestrians, and then narrowly miss them. Pedestrians do need to do their part: don?t stand at the corner if you don?t intend to cross (weirdly, this happens often) and DO assert your right of way when you approach a crosswalk.

Overall, there needs to be more education around this issue. Collectively, we definitely lag behind other countries when it comes to pedestrians, cyclists, and cars, sharing space.

I think there's a lot right on both sides of this issue. However another real problem here is that a minority of people feel the law doesn't apply to them. That they have the right to cross the street where they really shouldn't be, or they have the right to drive around a car stopped for pedestrians, or drive around a school bus with its lights flashing, or speed through high pedestrian traffic areas.

Unfortunately the only way to deal with that is far comprehensive enforcement, or something as simple as speed bumps.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:

Posted on: 2019/2/24 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:

Posted on: 2019/2/24 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:

I have told this story before: I was once pulled over and harassed by a cop because I tooted my horn at a mother and child crossing the street while traffic had the right of way, and did this at night at the crossing right before the on ramp to the I-78 extension. The cop incorrectly kept telling me that pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way, even if the opposing traffic has a green light. Insane. Ultimately, he let me go after conferring with his partner, who likely corrected him.

My point is that proper, consistent enforcement is hard to achieve when not even cops know or understand the rules.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
And when snow falls and the streets have to be plowed?
Something to consider.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:

Posted on: 2019/2/23 22:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/1 1:16
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
4 total speed bumps downtown and none on Jersey...hmmm

Posted on: 2019/2/23 22:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/2/23 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good. Te City needs to install stop signs or speed bumps at most intersections where there is no light. yesterday, i watched in horror as several cars failed to yield to an 80 year old woman trying to cross the street. absolutely, ridiculous.

Posted on: 2019/2/23 18:55

JC plans to install 80+ speed bumps in 2019.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City plans to install 80+ speed bumps in 2019. Here?s where they are headed

Updated 4:41 PM; Posted 4:41 PM
By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is set to install more than 80 new speed humps throughout the city this year.

The traffic calming measures will be built in all six wards of the city, although the Bergen-Lafayette and West Side neighborhoods will receive the most. A total of 21 humps will be installed in Ward F, while 16 will be built in Ward B.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/02/jers ... here-they-are-headed.html

Posted on: 2019/2/23 2:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017