Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC historic commission to vote Monday on demolition of St. Peter’s school buildings
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get it. The city sends me violations if they see a crack on my sidewalk.
Why can't the city make them fix the facade so more bricks don't fall?

Posted on: 2019/4/4 12:52

Re: JC historic commission to vote Monday on demolition of St. Peter’s school buildings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Is this the same historic commision that was supposed to "preserve" the Power House?

The buildings are not located in a prominent area of Paulus Hook where saving them would add something to the character of the neighborhood.

They are on a narrow one way street that creates the the far most district border. Most PH neighbors don't even know they exist .... however we are all aware of the Van Vorst Residential Tower that the city permitted and looms over the neighborhood. Seems like there is something else at play here...

Posted on: 2019/4/4 12:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
My children attended St. Peter Grammar School and bricks fell off the building then and will continue to fall off. No one promised me anything,nicky. I just don't want someone hurt. The city condemned the original St. Peter's Church in the 1950s for something similar and a new structure was built in the 1960.

Posted on: 2019/4/4 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Actually, Nickie, I am in favor of this building coming down. The building is in extremely bad shape. Bricks has fallen on the building in the past and it will continue to happened. So do not speak for me.

Yes, that was implied when I said this was a humiliating defeat. Of course you want this to come down, they promised a parking lot.

Posted on: 2019/4/4 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
I'm genuinely curious why everyone seems to think SPP would be able to sell this property for a big profit. The HPC had made their position clear, and anyone that bought the property be bound by their ruling. Not to mention the horrible state of the building, and that it's in the process of self disassembly. Any developer would need a boat load of money to buy this place and turn it into something nice.

Now it's just going to sit there, slowly crumbling. I'm all for historic preservation, but some buildings are just too far gone to keep.

You buy the building and then buy the zoning, exceptions, etc. you need. Or knock it down in the middle of the night and dare the city to do something about it...

Posted on: 2019/4/3 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I'm genuinely curious why everyone seems to think SPP would be able to sell this property for a big profit. The HPC had made their position clear, and anyone that bought the property be bound by their ruling. Not to mention the horrible state of the building, and that it's in the process of self disassembly. Any developer would need a boat load of money to buy this place and turn it into something nice.

Now it's just going to sit there, slowly crumbling. I'm all for historic preservation, but some buildings are just too far gone to keep.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, Nickie, I am in favor of this building coming down. The building is in extremely bad shape. Bricks has fallen on the building in the past and it will continue to happened. So do not speak for me.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 15:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sell it, they will make a ton. I am very happy it will be preserved.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
As is the neighborhood needs another highrise

Posted on: 2019/4/3 7:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Yet another defeat for the entire neighborhood. Now the buildings will continue to sit fallow while slowly falling apart brick by brick. Congratulations.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Panel rejects request to demolish old St. Peter?s Prep buildings

Updated 11:11 AM; Today 10:47 AM (4/2/2019)
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? A Jersey City panel on Monday declined a request by St. Peter?s Prep to demolish two York Street buildings it owns, handing a win to residents who opposed the demolition plan and setting up a potential battle over the future of two structures that date to the 19th Century.

The decision by the Historic Preservation Commission came at the tail end of a nearly five-hour hearing on the St. Peter?s request and caps a roughly yearlong effort by school officials to convince the city that the buildings are too dilapidated to be saved. The demolition hearing had been postponed numerous times before Monday.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/04/pane ... eters-prep-buildings.html

Yet another humiliating defeat for Yvonne who fights against historic preservation and believed the lies St. Peter's told that this would become a parking lot.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Preservation Board tyranny.

Posted on: 2019/4/2 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Panel rejects request to demolish old St. Peter?s Prep buildings

Updated 11:11 AM; Today 10:47 AM (4/2/2019)
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? A Jersey City panel on Monday declined a request by St. Peter?s Prep to demolish two York Street buildings it owns, handing a win to residents who opposed the demolition plan and setting up a potential battle over the future of two structures that date to the 19th Century.

The decision by the Historic Preservation Commission came at the tail end of a nearly five-hour hearing on the St. Peter?s request and caps a roughly yearlong effort by school officials to convince the city that the buildings are too dilapidated to be saved. The demolition hearing had been postponed numerous times before Monday.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/04/pane ... eters-prep-buildings.html

Posted on: 2019/4/2 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The below is from? ?The Jersey City: Past and Present website is a digital project of New Jersey City University (NJCU)?. Great site. Yvonne got some of it right the site gives much more detail. This is about the lots at Van Vorst and Grand Streets which is now Prep?s O'Keefe Commons. Gee sounds like the property is jinxed. Pilings not holding structure collapsed, a fire, damage from the Black Tom explosion, and a hurricane?interesting.

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church
144 Grand Street
by Mary Kinahan-Ockay
College Archivist, Saint Peter's College

https://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistor ... urch.htm?no_redirect=true

Posted on: 2019/2/12 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
?barely a murmur in comparison when a historic building like this will be demolished.

You mean besides showing up at every meeting of Historic Preservation?

Posted on: 2019/2/12 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Postponed to April 1.

Vote postponed on whether St. Peter?s Prep can demolish buildings

Updated 6:01 PM; Posted 6:01 PM
By Aya Elamroussi | The Jersey Journal

The Jersey Historic Preservation Commission?s vote on whether to allow St. Peter?s Prep to demolish two of its 19th century buildings has been postponed until April.

The hearing, which was scheduled for Monday night, has been moved to April 1 to determine if the Catholic school will be permitted to demolish St. Peter?s Hall and the former St. Peter?s Grammar School.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/02/vote ... n-demolish-buildings.html

Posted on: 2019/2/12 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The HPHA on sent out emails today talking about the meeting and then the subsequent postponement. I think their position is preservation... however their 180 degree turnaround on their opposition to the Tower built on Van Vorst paint factory property diminished my opinion about that group.

I think preserving the huge trees that obstruct the view of the rundown buildings are more important. Looking at a couple of links in this thread, I understand the nostalgia/historical angles but frankly is just a small side street now. Not a prominent location like Washington St. The Beehive / Old High School or Bank(s) on Montgomery.

Posted on: 2019/2/12 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm amazed that the neighborhood associations will bitch and complain about a 4 floor building going up on a vacant lot because it includes one less parking space than zoning prescribes but barely a murmur in comparison when a historic building like this will be demolished.

Posted on: 2019/2/12 0:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/2/11 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i hope there is a way to preserve the outer shell and building new inside the shell...maybe go deeper and higher...i hope the developers and the city decide to go witha "better, more innovative" approach instead of the low cost option which gives the city another basic box.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Postponed to April 1.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 17:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/10 2:07
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A little history on that property, first it was given to the Catholics who worked in Henderson pottery factory around the early 1800s. They would cross the river to go to St. Peter's Church in Manhattan. This was done by rowing. Rowing back and forth, the men became tired and they missed Monday's work. The reason for the free land. But they did not receive the best land, it was marsh land. During the construction of the first church, it fell down. The second church, something similar to St. Francis in NYC, with an upper and lower church. Eventually, the city condemned the church and it was torn down. The final church was built in 1960 and remained until it was sold to St. Peter's Prep. The Church and Grammar school are on marsh land. There are times during heavy rain that water would spring up from the ground. The basement of the grammar school had a wavy floor from buckling. It is only a matter of time that building (grammar school) face the same fate as the first two churches. I am surprised there are no pictures shown of the floor of the grammar school. That was my parish and my children attended the grammar school.

Yvonne,

Thanks for the historical information.

That leads to the question: Is this information about the marsh land included in the information for the vote? Also if the land is in such bad shape, is building a parking lot there worthwhile? Or should some other use be considered for that plot?

Posted on: 2019/2/11 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
It may become a parking lot but for how long? Fulop has already allowed 20 story building to be built in a 7 story zone.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A little history on that property, first it was given to the Catholics who worked in Henderson pottery factory around the early 1800s. They would cross the river to go to St. Peter's Church in Manhattan. This was done by rowing. Rowing back and forth, the men became tired and they missed Monday's work. The reason for the free land. But they did not receive the best land, it was marsh land. During the construction of the first church, it fell down. The second church, something similar to St. Francis in NYC, with an upper and lower church. Eventually, the city condemned the church and it was torn down. The final church was built in 1960 and remained until it was sold to St. Peter's Prep. The Church and Grammar school are on marsh land. There are times during heavy rain that water would spring up from the ground. The basement of the grammar school had a wavy floor from buckling. It is only a matter of time that building (grammar school) face the same fate as the first two churches. I am surprised there are no pictures shown of the floor of the grammar school. That was my parish and my children attended the grammar school.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting....

Historic Jersey City : Then and Now

http://www.jerseycitythenandnow.com/

Posted on: 2019/2/11 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good riddance.... I would say it is an eye sore, but most people do not even know the falling down building is there! I was just walking by the Humanities Building on my way to work the other day admiring what a fine looking building it is for its age.

If it is a parking lot, hopefully it will get all the student/faculty/ visitors parking on Grand Street off the public street and onto their property.

Posted on: 2019/2/10 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
They?ve been saying they were gonna replace it with a parking lot. Someone should ask the Paulus Hook NA how Yvonne?s knife in their back feels as she?s actively lobbying to have the building torn down and have a beautiful parking lot installed.

Posted on: 2019/2/10 18:15

JC historic commission to vote Monday on demolition of St. Peter’s school buildings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City historic commission to vote Monday on demolition of St. Peter?s school buildings

Updated 10:43 AM; Posted 10:40 AM
By Corey W. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? The city?s historic preservation commission will vote Monday to demolish the St Peter?s Original Parish School and St. Peter?s Hall and Parochial School.

The Romanesque Revival buildings, built in the late 19th century on the corner of York and Van Vorst streets, have been owned by the St. Peter's Preparatory School since 2005.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/02/jers ... ers-school-buildings.html

Posted on: 2019/2/10 16:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017