Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Boonton Reservoir
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Did you also know Jersey City's water does not contain fluoride? There are probably countless preventable cavities in peoples' teeth. Yvonne, what do you think?

Mayor Jordan tried to put fluoride in the drinking water but bus loads of seniors came down to city hall and protested, so nothing happened. This happened in the 1970s.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Did you also know Jersey City's water does not contain fluoride? There are probably countless preventable cavities in peoples' teeth. Yvonne, what do you think?

My kid was given a script for vitamins with fluoride because of this.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
He tried drinking nothing but bottled water... the locals would refill bottles with tap water.

That actually did kill my dad, very slowly. He contracted a rare Hepatitis (E or some such) in Ukraine when he didn't want to offend his hosts even though he saw them filling the bottle from the tap. He eventually died of cirrhosis and the liver cancer it caused. (No, he was not a drinker at all)

Yikes!

I thought what my wife got on her business trip to India was bad (eventually leads to fatal cancer). Her issue was curable with very expensive and physically brutal dose of antibiotics.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
what is unreasonable about reviewing the study of impacts performed by the Open Space Institute before giving away the access for nothing. And with no benefit to the residents of Jersey City and Hoboken who rely on this resource.

what is reasonable is what an online petition asks - https://www.change.org/p/help-protect- ... ly-from-recreational-uses

that:

* the Jersey City Environmental Commission be consulted on the proposal;

* the MUA Board be consulted on the proposal, and charged with conducting their own review of the proposal;

* the Open Space Institute study, if there is one, be released for public scrutiny;

*a concerted set of public hearings be held, at which residents be both informed about the proposal, and be given every opportunity to provide input.

what is the hurry to move forward on this?

Posted on: 2018/8/14 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
He tried drinking nothing but bottled water... the locals would refill bottles with tap water.

That actually did kill my dad, very slowly. He contracted a rare Hepatitis (E or some such) in Ukraine when he didn't want to offend his hosts even though he saw them filling the bottle from the tap. He eventually died of cirrhosis and the liver cancer it caused. (No, he was not a drinker at all)

Posted on: 2018/8/1 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/8/1 20:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/3 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
oreoz, you remind me of the naysayers who said the World Trade Center will never come down after the first bombing in 1993.

A good argument directly refuting the points that were made in that article.
I assume some sort of Hitler comparison is coming eventually (this is the internet after all).

Yvonne, the majority of your arguments seem to revolve around the fact that you've been around for a while. Well not so much your arguments, but rather that you think it gives you some sort of wisdom and knowledge that the rest of us don't have. When faced with facts and figures that disprove what you're saying, you just fall back on some event that happened some time ago when you were alive and somehow connect it to your current opinion.

Someone got leprosy once in New Jersey. That has nothing to do with the fact that New York waterways have had public access for years and the water is still considered so safe to drink that they don't need filtration, nor the fact that many NJ reservoirs and waterways are open to public access and don't, in fact, have any of the crazy problems you suggest.

We get it. You don't like the mayor, and anything he does, you automatically oppose, even if it's literally the exact same view you originally had (see: Katyn monument thread).

Try doing some research, or at least listening to people who are actually trying to find factual information rather than uninformed opinions, instead of acting like your age gives you some kind of knowledge in fields you know nothing about. You'll have a lot more time to spend on things that can actually be useful for both you and the city instead of wasting your time on fruitless battles just trying to oppose everything.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
oreoz, you remind me of the naysayers who said the World Trade Center will never come down after the first bombing in 1993.

What the....

New York State allows hiking, fishing, boating and other forms of recreation at many of is reservoirs. That's just a fact.

We should also note that it's not like Boonton Reservoir is hermetically sealed from human influence. 287 runs right along the reservoir's west side; 46 runs along the southern end; there are suburban neighborhoods along the north and eastern sides.

Runoff from all of those areas goes into the reservoir, which is why... say it with me now... The water is filtered and treated AFTER it leaves the reservoir.

There is no threat whatsoever by allowing access. None whatsoever. Nearby residents get a little more green space; JC builds some goodwill. Everyone wins.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

*slow clap*

Well done.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/8/1 16:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/3 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne - it's unfortunate that you don't seem to actually take into account any responses to your posts, aside from continuing to push your position.

Doing minimal research (and I mean minimal - a simple Google search) brought up this article regarding NY's DEP buying up land around waterways: https://citylimits.org/2015/06/15/city ... ifficult-balance-upstate/

The key takeaways:
1. The reason for their need to protect the waterways is that NYC water is NOT filtered (unlike Jersey City's), at least not by a water filtration plant (obviously objects are removed and fluoride added), so the natural water needs to be much cleaner.
2. This is a big one - despite the water needing to remain cleaner, HIKING IS ALLOWED! And this, all despite the water not being filtered like Jersey City

I figure it won't really make a difference to you since you seem to be set on your opinion, but maybe others reading here will find this informative.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Do we need to protect our watersheds? Of course. You would not people throwing garbage in the reservoir, dumping chemicals in it, or taking powerboats out on it.

That does not mean that every reservoir has to be secured from the public as if it contains nuclear weapons.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

My Dad came down with Cholera after a business trip to Mexico. He tried drinking nothing but bottled water... the locals would refill bottles with tap water. I remember nearly dying on the couch in the living room. For some odd reason, he never went to the hospital.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Did you know Jersey City's water was the first in the entire world to be chlorinated?

https://safedrinkingwaterdotcom.wordpr ... al-hero-of-public-health/

Very interesting article!

Posted on: 2018/8/1 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Scary stuff. That?s why it?s good to drink treated city water instead of sticking a straw into a pond.

Wonder if Suez owns the rights?

http://www.suezwatershed.com/

Posted on: 2018/8/1 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Did you know Jersey City's water was the first in the entire world to be chlorinated?

https://safedrinkingwaterdotcom.wordpr ... al-hero-of-public-health/

Posted on: 2018/8/1 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scary stuff. That?s why it?s good to drink treated city water instead of sticking a straw into a pond.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/7/31 22:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/21 15:03
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Based on your thinking everyone in Las Vegas would be dead. Are you aware of Lake Mead?

https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/contaminants.htm

Posted on: 2018/7/31 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The one thing Councilman Boggiano has said, New York State is buying up land to protect their drinking water. NY was to protect the integrity of their drinking water while this mayor has no problem opening up our water to whatever problems humans bring it.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This country went into a frenzy over the ebola outbreak. I actually remember a nurse being banned from entering NJ by the governor. But that doesn't change the fact that what I am saying about diseases. Unfortunately, liberals have a meltdown when faced with the truth. There was an article about 15 years ago concerning a Newark hospital treating leprosy in the emergency room. It is also the reason why so many diseases that once was wiped out are now returning.

None of that has anything to do with Boonton Reservoir or safe drinking water in general.

Your post is akin to opposing a new parking lot in JC on the grounds that someone in Newark once got bit by a dog. It doesn't connect.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This country went into a frenzy over the ebola outbreak. I actually remember a nurse being banned from entering NJ by the governor. But that doesn't change the fact that what I am saying about diseases. Unfortunately, liberals have a meltdown when faced with the truth. There was an article about 15 years ago concerning a Newark hospital treating leprosy in the emergency room. It is also the reason why so many diseases that once was wiped out are now returning.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Renewable energy has nothing to do with protecting the public's drinking water. At the turn of the 20th century, people actually died from polluted public drinking water. As more people come here from different countries they also bring some of the diseases from their country. Some of these diseases are air borne other are water borne. We don't need to have our water exposed to humans period.

Post after post, you demonstrate that you have no idea what modern, 21st century water treatment is.

The water in the reservoir today is dirty. There's garbage that flows into it, there's fuel and chemical runoff (remember when you said renewable energy doesn't matter?), chemicals and pollutants absorbed from the air, there's human and animal feces in it, there's rotting flesh of dead animals and plants in it, there's microorganisms that are really nasty in it, algae, bacteria, fungi, viruses.

All of that is in the water now. Whether a jogger or hiker stops to pee in it, that would be the least of the nasty stuff in the reservoir.

Again, the water gets TREATED after it leaves the reservoir and before it comes to our homes. All of that nasty stuff, the garbage, the animal fluids, human fluids, microbes, etc., is killed and/or removed from the water. That makes the water safe to drink. The water is not sitting in the reservoir pure and clean. It's nasty until it's treated. And it's not treated until it leaves the reservoir.

Hopeful an ounce of this sinks in.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
As more people come here from different countries they also bring some of the diseases from their country.

Yes. The "filthy immigrant" argument. You are referring to the refugee camps up in Boonton?

Posted on: 2018/7/31 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Smart move by Fulop; when Murphy turns out to be a one term Gov, he can run again and get some support from Morris County for opening up the area for recreation.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Renewable energy has nothing to do with protecting the public's drinking water. At the turn of the 20th century, people actually died from polluted public drinking water. As more people come here from different countries they also bring some of the diseases from their country. Some of these diseases are air borne other are water borne. We don't need to have our water exposed to humans period.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I care about the water I drink. Anyone who touts organic products but advance the idea of our water being exposed to human activities, are nothing but hypocrites.

Then you'll certainly be championing renewable energy like solar and wind right? All the emissions from coal plants wind up in our water one way or another.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I care about the water I drink. Anyone who touts organic products but advance the idea of our water being exposed to human activities, are nothing but hypocrites.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Ridiculous. Yvonne claims she cares about the environment yet constantly supports politicians that gut environmental protections. Downtown JC has very few trees because she refused to let the city plant any new trees while she ran the VVPA.

This is simply her Fulop derangement syndrome showing. Most people who dislike the mayor aren't going to submit fake petitions with fraudulent names like she did.

Notice the only two people that are opposing this are the same ones whose ideas lost in landslides with the voters.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I have a house close to one of NYC's reservoirs. You can walk around it. You can row a boat in it. I am pretty sure you can still fish in it.

Neither Yvonne nor Councilman Boggiano know what they are talking about.

But I am glad that we have a carbon copy of General Jack D. Ripper on our council. Someone has to look out for the water we need to replenish our precious bodily fluids.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 13:30

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017