Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 53

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Home Invasion Leaves Woman Tied Up, Robbed Inside Jersey City High-Rise Apartment Building (Monaco)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

It's not just mistrust of banks. It's also to avoid paying taxes.

A while back I was interviewing people for a nanny job. I am a rarity in this endeavor... I pay on the books using a payroll service. This made hiring someone difficult.

* Applicants not permitted to work legally. Typically they came to the US on a student or tourist VISA and never left. Therefore, can only accept cash.

* Legal US resident or citizen, but on Medicade / Section 8 / WIC or other forms of welfare. Can't show income or would lose benefits.

* Legal US resident or citizen, but just doesn't want to pay taxes.

These women were with their current employer making $20+ an hour. I interviewed one who was getting $1k cash a week. Another was clearing over $85k (live-in nanny + teacher for a very wealthy family).

So yeah... if actively saving cash, I can see racking up a $100k in cash after a number of years working.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 17:11

Re: Home Invasion Leaves Woman Tied Up, Robbed Inside Jersey City High-Rise Apartment Building (Monaco)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

This is true, but I still don't understand how banks are mistrusted

Because of things like this:

European leaders reached an agreement with Cyprus early on Monday morning that closes down the island's second-largest bank and inflicts huge losses on wealthy savers.
Business Today: sign up for a morning shot of financial news
Read more

Those with deposits of less than ?100,000 (?85,000) will be spared, but those with more than ?100,000 ? many of them Russian ? will lose billions of euros under draconian terms aimed at preventing the Mediterranean tax haven becoming the first country forced out of the single currency.

Another example is when the Kirchner regime in Argentina seized private savings to bail out the public pension system.

In my wife's country, during the '97 financial crisis, bank deposits became "unavailable" for withdrawal.

It will interesting to watch what happens when Italy's issue with billions in bad loans finally comes to a head.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Where is the victim from?

I have found it pretty common for non Americans (excluding Western Europeans) to mistrust banks and keep everything in cash.

It took a while to convince a Turkish woman I knew to put the $50k she had in cash into an actual bank account.

This is true, but I still don't understand how banks are mistrusted and anyone with large amounts of cash in their homes get robbed. How does one even legally obtain that much cash in the age of direct deposit. Something stinks!

It's not just mistrust of banks. It's also to avoid paying taxes.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I have found it pretty common for non Americans (excluding Western Europeans) to mistrust banks and keep everything in cash.

It took a while to convince a Turkish woman I knew to put the $50k she had in cash into an actual bank account.

This is true, but I still don't understand how banks are mistrusted and anyone with large amounts of cash in their homes get robbed. How does one even legally obtain that much cash in the age of direct deposit. Something stinks!

Posted on: 2018/7/20 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsh278 wrote:
was it the same apartment? were four women living together?

Not at all a rare occurrence. Lots of apartments in Newport seem to get shared by twice the amount of people you would expect. They share rooms and sometimes even turn their living rooms into partitioned rooms, that way they can afford to live in a place much nicer than any of them would be able to afford independently.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 15:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 17:01
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
was it the same apartment? were four women living together?

Posted on: 2018/7/20 15:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Matt, I think she was Thai. It was the dowery from her bf.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 5:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
How will Yvonne try to blame this on the mayor or abatements?

Posted on: 2018/7/20 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Patrick Villanova
The Jersey Journal

More than $100,000 in jewelry, phones, and cash were stolen during a home invasion early Thursday at a luxury high-rise in the Newport section of Jersey City, authorities said.

The Jersey City Police Department's Major Case Unit is investigating the home invasion at 465 Washington Blvd. -- one of the two 50-story Monaco towers -- city spokeswoman Kimberly Wallace-Scalcione said.

Police responded to the complex just after midnight on the call of a home invasion and determined that two males allegedly forced their way into an apartment and robbed four women, Wallace-Scalcione said.

No one was injured, Wallace-Scalcione said, adding that authorities believe the incident involved people who knew each other.

Things that make you go hmmm...

Posted on: 2018/7/19 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

While part of me is as skeptical as some of the other posters, I know that what you say is also very true. I had a grandfather who was so mistrustful of banks (I think he was partly senile, tbh) that he kept a ton of cash under the mattress. Literally kept well over 10K in $100 denomination. Some people come from different backgrounds at complete odds with our more modern way of thinking. Even my mother likes to keep a lot of cash on hand "just in case". Hard to tell without more details about the situation and victim.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/7/19 20:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 17:01
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I was thinking the same thing too, if someone broke into my home they might be able to find like $20 in quarters and whatever cash i had in my wallet, but that's about it. The fact she had that kind of cash lying around seems fishy.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Why is it every time you hear of an incident of a break in or, in this case, a possible home invasion, the victims have thousands and thousands of dollars in cash in their home? Am I missing something? My money is in the bank and rarely do I even have $100 in cash in my house at any given time. Maybe I'm skeptical, but incidents with these claims always make me suspicious.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 17:44

Home Invasion Leaves Woman Tied Up, Robbed Inside Jersey City High-Rise Apartment Building (Monaco)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Submitted by RLS Staff on Jul 19 2018 - 4:29am.

Jersey City authorities are investigating a reported home invasion robbery that had a woman tied up then robbed inside a luxury high-rise building in the city.

According to preliminary reports, police were called to 465 Washington Boulevard after being alerted of a possible home invasion that occurred inside the building at around midnight.

Reports say officers arriving at the scene found a woman who reported that an unidentified suspect forced entry inside her 22nd-floor apartment, tied her up, then took more than $10,000 in cash.

The woman did not suffer any severe injuries according to reports.

The incident remains under investigation.

https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/home- ... h-rise-apartment-building

Posted on: 2018/7/19 17:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017