Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Zoning Question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you all. We got responses from an architect that is helping us.

For the record, we are able to live in the property while all the paperwork is going thru.

Correctly stated, we are not changing zoning as our zone allows for multi and single family residences.

Correctly stated, we need to ensure there is only 1 kitchen.

Correctly stated, we would need CO detectors per R1 building code.

All in all, it would take about 2-3 months (worst worst worst case).

Thanks again!!!

Posted on: 2018/6/28 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
You do not want to rezone your property. In fact that would never fly, as it requires planning board and city council approval. What you are contemplating is reconfiguring your property from multi-family to single-family.

If your zone allows single-family residences, all you need to do is get the proper permits. Unlikely that you need any board approvals, though the zoning officer will have the final say on that.

If your zone does not allow single-family residences, you need a use variance approval from the zoning board.

Posted on: 2018/6/28 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is a word of caution, I have known people who have had fires and the insurance company did not pay out because the house had two kitchens and not one.

Taking the time to properly comprehend what you are reading would help you make valid, worthy comments. In this case, the OP is doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you describe and cautioned her about; she is looking to go from a 2-family situation to a single family.

Posted on: 2018/6/28 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It is a word of caution, I have known people who have had fires and the insurance company did not pay out because the house had two kitchens and not one.

Posted on: 2018/6/28 1:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Have a conversation with your insurance agent if you are changing from one to two or any changes. Your insurance might not pay out if it is an illegal change. Be careful.

Who said anything about illegal? It sounds as though the OP wants to do things correctly!

Posted on: 2018/6/27 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Have a conversation with your insurance agent if you are changing from one to two or any changes. Your insurance might not pay out if it is an illegal change. Be careful.

Posted on: 2018/6/27 20:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sure you an occupy. It took me about a month to do everything. I was able to get the 4 stickers fairly easily because I had no issues in those 4 areas I stated. Make sure you take care of things you know are problematic beforehand and make sure you have a smoke/carbon monoxide detector outside bedrooms and on every floor. There also can't be multiple kitchens (stove/refrigerator) or you will remain a 2 family. We took all those out years ago. You might get away with cabinets- if you say storage but some building inspectors make you rip all that out.

Posted on: 2018/6/27 19:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks All!

Any idea if we can occupy the property while doing all this paperwork? Also, any indication on how long it took? 2 months? 3 months?

Appreciate any and all help!

Posted on: 2018/6/27 17:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I turned my two family into a one family and got a CCO- you have to get that to have your home status
changed on the tax records. My homeowner's policy and flood insurance went down. During the reval, my house was valued less as a one family(which I was seeking) for tax purposes. I have not rented my bottom floor for 10 years.
I do not plan on selling. The process was laborious. I had to get 4 different stickers (inspections)fire, building,electrical and plumbing. You really have to prove that you will not rent and that the space once deemed "rentable" is being used by you. Go to the buildings dept and fill out all the paperwork to apply initially- then you start the process.

Posted on: 2018/6/27 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I combined 2 units for my own use with appropriate permits, but haven't touched the CoO. As I understand it, it's not an issue at all till sale, and I'll be dead (condition of sale, never moving again) so I won't worry about it!

Posted on: 2018/6/27 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
I believe you want to keep the multi family zoning status, as it increases the value of the property. Internally and living wise you should be able to get the work done through the building department.

That said if there is a tax component at play here I believe going from multi to single is relatively mundane, but going from single to multi is a difficult process.

AGREE +++
You can Configure Interior space as you wish to occupy/live in it, but your Re-Sale Value would be greatly diminished by having the property re-zoned to 1 Family.

Posted on: 2018/6/26 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I believe you want to keep the multi family zoning status, as it increases the value of the property. Internally and living wise you should be able to get the work done through the building department.

That said if there is a tax component at play here I believe going from multi to single is relatively mundane, but going from single to multi is a difficult process.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 18:08

Zoning Question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone purchased a property and gone thru a zoning change ie from a commercial or multi family to a single family? Did you need to get a CCO (continued certificate of occupancy)? Did an architect need to sign and seal drawings?

I am considering a property which is a multi family and want to it to a 1 family.

Mostly looking to understand timelines and procedures. I called the the Building Department but they were not helpful.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 17:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017