Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Gothamist: The PATH Is A Packed, Slow-Motion Nightmare For NJ Commuters This Morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
just keeping things in perspective. some people think that only PATH sucks!

'MAXIMUM BULLSH*T' On J/M This Morning Portends L Train Shutdown Hell

http://gothamist.com/2018/06/19/j_m_l_train_subway_foreboding.php

Posted on: 2018/6/20 3:40

Re: Gothamist: The PATH Is A Packed, Slow-Motion Nightmare For NJ Commuters This Morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, nyc subway has problems too...just sayin'

http://gothamist.com/2018/06/19/subway_power_out_well_just_hum.php

Posted on: 2018/6/20 1:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/cli ... thers-public-transit.html

I fee like this relevant to Jersey City's PATH problem, but also the reason why communities everywhere are not investing in public transportation.

Posted on: 2018/6/19 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Delays going in this morning. Thought I was lucky that I caught the 33rd St. train from JSQ without a wait. Then the train crawled and stopped repeatedly all the way to Christopher St. I have been leaving an extra 20 to 30 minutes early now just to account for PATH delays.

Long train wait coming home also.

Posted on: 2018/6/13 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Does any of this work have an impact on the daily signal failures, the daily switch failures, the daily every other thing that goes wrong?

Posted on: 2018/6/13 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
My thinking exactly (assuming that's what they're really doing)!

Of course the conductor getting on the horn and telling everyone the delays are due to "train traffic ahead", which is not only laughable but obviously wrong, doesn't speak much to their ability to accurately tell us what's up.

Agreed in all counts, but considering that one of the goals of the PTC and CBT systems are to increase the frequency (while also decreasing spacing) of trains, rush hour is probably the best time to simulate real scenarios. Evening service is spread too far apart to be of any usefulness.

But, yes, the delays are super annoying. I think this is an instance where a temporary inconvenience in the name of future improvements might be worth it.

Yeah, I understand the need for, and hopeful future benefit of, the technology they say they're testing. But there's nothing stopping them from running tests with whatever frequency they want in the middle of the day or night - sure, the schedule says the train only comes every 10/20 minutes, but I don't think anyone would complain if it was more often during the "tests"! Are we to actually believe they didn't test the system while it was being installed (assuming it has been)?

I'm not one to short-sightedly complain, but they don't exactly have a history of giving out accurate, timely, or helpful information. Just this past Monday, they were saying it was because of "rail problems" in the WTC. At least that I could believe, given how the engineers have a tendency to step on the "gas" when they pull into the station (sending anyone in the last 2 cars flying, as they round the last turn).

Posted on: 2018/6/13 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:

Of course the conductor getting on the horn and telling everyone the delays are due to "train traffic ahead", which is not only laughable but obviously wrong, doesn't speak much to their ability to accurately tell us what's up.

Agreed in all counts, but considering that one of the goals of the PTC and CBT systems are to increase the frequency (while also decreasing spacing) of trains, rush hour is probably the best time to simulate real scenarios. Evening service is spread too far apart to be of any usefulness.

But, yes, the delays are super annoying. I think this is an instance where a temporary inconvenience in the name of future improvements might be worth it.

Posted on: 2018/6/13 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/6/13 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
The PATH seems to be getting worse and worse every day! Emails pointing to "delays" don't really help if they don't include a general estimate on how long the delays are lasting... This morning, my train from JSQ to the WTC was delayed by ~25 minutes - a ride that usually lasts 10-12 minutes was well over half an hour. Obviously they KNOW this, so it'd be nice to be warned ahead of time so we could at least try to plan to leave the house early and account for the extra time!

I am no PATH apologist, but the PA has been issuing alerts hourly (since early this morning) letting people know to expect delays because of ongoing testing of the PTC implementation/system.

Right, but MUST it be tested during rush hour? You have 20+ other hours in the day to do so.

Posted on: 2018/6/13 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
The PATH seems to be getting worse and worse every day! Emails pointing to "delays" don't really help if they don't include a general estimate on how long the delays are lasting... This morning, my train from JSQ to the WTC was delayed by ~25 minutes - a ride that usually lasts 10-12 minutes was well over half an hour. Obviously they KNOW this, so it'd be nice to be warned ahead of time so we could at least try to plan to leave the house early and account for the extra time!

I am no PATH apologist, but the PA has been issuing alerts hourly (since early this morning) letting people know to expect delays because of ongoing testing of the PTC implementation/system.

Posted on: 2018/6/13 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/6/13 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Is the PATH train for real? Every time I thought it couldn't get any worse - guess what? The PATH train manages to surprise me yet again!

Waited 40 min for a train this morning - finally gave up.

JC could be such a more pleasant place to live if the PATH trains would just be a little better.

I'm not asking much, just a little better, and more reliable, please!!!!!

According to PATHAlerts, all trains are operating with delays system-wide due to testing of the automated train control signaling system. Of course, this testing does not show up in the PATH Planner site (http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories_path.html). And, complicating matters, the Hackensack River bridge is stuck, which has prompted suspension of service between NWK and JSQ.

In other words, if you were counting on PATH today, make alternate plans.

Posted on: 2018/6/9 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Is the PATH train for real? Every time I thought it couldn't get any worse - guess what? The PATH train manages to surprise me yet again!

Waited 40 min for a train this morning - finally gave up.

JC could be such a more pleasant place to live if the PATH trains would just be a little better.

I'm not asking much, just a little better, and more reliable, please!!!!!

Posted on: 2018/6/9 14:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/15 4:12
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke to one of the conductors yesterday and it sounded like both (PTC and CBTC). He was mentioning that the work would let the "train drive itself" and that this week at least they were doing testing between Exchange and Grove (previously it was between Grove and JSQ).

He also said they would be doing the work through the end of the year...

Posted on: 2018/6/5 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to be a basher too, but the past month has been horrific. Or more horrific than usual, as the case may be. It's hard not to call the powers at the Port Authority incompetent morons who don't give a shit about the riders. I'm assuming they have no accountability thus they can do whatever they want with zero repercussions. It's beyond disgraceful and nobody cares.

Posted on: 2018/6/5 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Did we ever get an answer to the question on what exactly they're upgrading as part of the current weekend closures? They've said it's for PTC (positive train control for forcibly slowing down a speeding train), but are they also doing CBTC, the guts of the signal system upgrade we really need?

After this summer, will CBTC be installed or will it just be PTC that gets done and we'll have to endure yet another closure later in the year?

EDIT: We were promised CBTC by the end of this year and I haven't seen anything mentioned, so I hope that's not once again delayed by several years.

Posted on: 2018/6/5 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if it is related with the signal & train control upgrade... but it seems like delays due to signal and mechanical issues are every other day now.

The rush window btw 7:45AM and 9:00AM goes to hell if you even so much as delay the next train by 20 minutes. The platforms become packed, with nothing but already full trains arriving.

Posted on: 2018/6/5 16:43

Gothamist: The PATH Is A Packed, Slow-Motion Nightmare For NJ Commuters This Morning

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/17 16:34
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
http://gothamist.com/2018/06/05/nj_path_commute_hell.php

Nothing gets the people of JC going like a good PATH bashing.
As a person who takes both PATH and Subway to work, I'm surprised I haven't been fired for tardiness already.

Unfortunately, with all the buildings going up every week its only going to get worse and worse.

Posted on: 2018/6/5 16:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017