Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Kind of makes you wonder about the taxes you pay.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I can't think of a single city or town in Somerset County that encourages illegal aliens like Fulop does via the sanctuary city, whose children cost a ton to educate. ESL, IEP's,
meals-it all adds up.

Posted on: 2018/4/1 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
What amazes me is that in a number of these suburban towns homeowners are living pretty nice lives in individual homes and payimg taxes in the same amount in some cases as people in JC who are crammed into condos and living with some horrible quality of life situations. For what?-proximity to NYC? It's outrageous.
Doesn't make sense.

That's not entirely accurate. The new estimated rate in JC is 1.62%, which is one of the lowest in the state. The rest of the state pays between 2.5-3% (I forget the exact average number, but it's well above 2%, so don't quote me)

Even post reval, JC is getting quite a deal on the backs of the rest of the state.

Why do people continually point to tax rates as a measuring stick? Obviously an area with high property values will have a lower tax rate. An area with a high tax rate will lower property values. See how that works? You are also citing a tax rate while property values are at an all time high in Jc. The other cities you compare the rate to have also not just had a reval meaning their tax rate will be inflated since it would not be based on it's current market value. The point is taxes in JC are no great bargain.

How can they not be considered a bargain? JC gets the better part of half a billion dollars from the backs of other taxpayers to pay for most of its school costs.

They are no bargain for its residents because of its spending. Somerset county who actually sends money to JC for its schools has better schools and much lower taxes.

Posted on: 2018/4/1 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Yay!! Monroe actually gets it!

Posted on: 2018/4/1 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
What amazes me is that in a number of these suburban towns homeowners are living pretty nice lives in individual homes and payimg taxes in the same amount in some cases as people in JC who are crammed into condos and living with some horrible quality of life situations. For what?-proximity to NYC? It's outrageous.
Doesn't make sense.

That's not entirely accurate. The new estimated rate in JC is 1.62%, which is one of the lowest in the state. The rest of the state pays between 2.5-3% (I forget the exact average number, but it's well above 2%, so don't quote me)

Even post reval, JC is getting quite a deal on the backs of the rest of the state.

Why do people continually point to tax rates as a measuring stick? Obviously an area with high property values will have a lower tax rate. An area with a high tax rate will lower property values. See how that works? You are also citing a tax rate while property values are at an all time high in Jc. The other cities you compare the rate to have also not just had a reval meaning their tax rate will be inflated since it would not be based on it's current market value. The point is taxes in JC are no great bargain.

How can they not be considered a bargain? JC gets the better part of half a billion dollars from the backs of other taxpayers to pay for most of its school costs.

Posted on: 2018/4/1 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Doesn't make sense.

Where in NJ are taxes a bargain? Ward E isn't the only part of the city either when we're talking about valustion. There are plenty of properties in this city under half a million.

Posted on: 2018/3/31 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Doesn't make sense.

Posted on: 2018/3/31 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
I was only trying to make a point about quality of life issues when it comes to comparisons. Those who have a vested interest in JC as landlords or investors most probably could care less about traffic, filth, corruption etc. What about those who choose to raise families in JC? Are they getting a fair return on the taxes or rents they pay?

Tenants don't have a vested interest in JC? GTFO. Jersey City has it's problems but it is the affordable option in the metro area for those that need to be in JC or close to NYC. Traffic is horrible, but the solution is more transit investment. We're not building new roads, and stopping new development will just put gentrification in overdrive because there will be fewer places for people to live and prices will rise.

Posted on: 2018/3/30 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
I was only trying to make a point about quality of life issues when it comes to comparisons. Those who have a vested interest in JC as landlords or investors most probably could care less about traffic, filth, corruption etc. What about those who choose to raise families in JC? Are they getting a fair return on the taxes or rents they pay?

Considering, again, they're paying one of the lowest tax RATES in the entire state, if ssy 100% they're trying the best deal around.

Just pray for your sake the suburban taxpayers don't start asking the same question....

Posted on: 2018/3/30 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/3/30 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
What's even crazier is that we have million dollar condos paying one of the lowest tax rates in the state while there are middle class families in suburban NJ towns paying 2.4 percent or more of their home's value in property taxes that are subsidizing Jersey City schools because we are an Abbott District.

Why the suburbs don't revolt due this subsidy I will never understand.

It's reverse Robinhood. Take from the middle class and give to the rich! (We would probably take from the poor too, but there's nothing to take from them so we just settle with underaiding their school districts.) Stateaidguy, any more insights on this topic?

It's not Jersey City or Hoboken to fault, but it's state law. Makes no sense.

Even better is that the state is facing dire straights fiscal situation with the budget. Jersey City and Hoboken are guaranteed by law a minimum amounts in state aid thanks to Abbott status while the state is literally going broke!

It makes no sense.

But hey, if I'm Jersey City, my goal is to aggressively grow the ratabale base and PILOT revenue to the city just in case the unthinkable happens - state law changes and/or the NJ Supreme Court changes their mind about the hundreds of millions in Abbott funding heading to JCBOE. There will be a need to make up that shortfall on the ratable base, in addition the $90 million shortfall JCBOE currently has even with the hundreds of million in Abbott funding. The settlement with the teacher's union regarding health care costs will also probably negatively influence the budget prospects.

Makes no damn sense.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Doesn't make sense.

You are wasting your time... RichMauro is not interested in learning and understanding local taxation. His intention is to spew opinions devoid of facts, only rationalizations and misplaced beliefs.

People like him focus on monetary amount and ignore percentage rates. JC's post-reval tax rate is ridiculously low and will likely generate more pressure in Trenton to shift more responsibility for the local BOE budget, which will result in a need to raise taxes locally.

Additionally, to compare JC to a suburban town, or a rural one, and ignore (or, in RichMauro's case, purposefully refuse to accept) that real estate is all about location is the epitome of a false equivalency. Of course, for anyone with a grain of brains or logic, real estate in JC is worth more (than it would be elsewhere) because of its proximity to NYC. It's no mistake that you can buy gigantic homes an hour or two away for a quarter of what they would command here because demand is much lower. It is the most basic of principles in a capitalist, open market.

In any case, when adjusting for inflation, the JC budget is the same today as it was 30 years ago. That should not prevent us from demanding greater accountability from our local government, but it is important to keep that in mind.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The NYTimes reported a week or so ago that the NJ average is 2.4%, so JC's rate would need to rise about 50% to meet the average. JC taxpayers are getting a bargain.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Doesn't make sense.

Agreed, JC does have one of the lowest tax rates in the state. And yeah, proximity to New York commands a high premium. If Jersey City was in Cape May County, it would probably look like this (minus the view of the NYC skyline, of course).

Resized Image

Posted on: 2018/3/29 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Doesn't make sense.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Doesn't make sense.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The explanation is quite simple, those towns had more property online and those properties were not tax abated. Non-tax abated properties are added to the tax rolls as ratables not contracts. As those towns ratables increase and you will see a tax deduction. The increased ratables affect all budgets not just the municipality.

That's part of the story. The article goes on to say that taxes fell because expenses fell in some of the towns. The biggest drop was due to school district negotiations that resulted in cost savings.

But I still agree with you, especially when Jersey City is an abbott district. The city gets Payment In Lieu Of Taxes (PILOT) revenue, but since very little of that is shared with the school board, it seems kinda... selfish while the State is sending us hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

My crazy plan - allow any and all new development to automatically get a 5 or 10 year tax abatement (get local politics out of it - have the rules set an established by ordinance or state law so there is no political favor granting) That should be enough to induce development and quickly send the new ratables to the tax rolls. (Faster than 30-years, anyway).

Posted on: 2018/3/28 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The explanation is quite simple, those towns had more property online and those properties were not tax abated. Non-tax abated properties are added to the tax rolls as ratables not contracts. As those towns ratables increase and you will see a tax deduction. The increased ratables affect all budgets not just the municipality.

Posted on: 2018/3/28 18:30

Kind of makes you wonder about the taxes you pay.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/3/28 16:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username: