Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 'Porch pirate' charged with snatching bait package, throws fit at court appearance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Surprised that the guy you referenced even got sent away. Another 80s case (the famous Bernhard Goetz incident) saw a jury acquit him of all charges except illegal possession of a firearm, and he shot 4 muggers in the subway, and turned himself in after a few days. People in the NYC of the 70s and 80s were really fed up. It is no surprise that Death Wish resonated so strongly with people at the time.

I don't know what happened to him. It was one of those stories that came and went out of the news, unlike Bernie Goetz.

Goetz, if he didn't turn himself in, would have gotten away with it.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 18:27

Re: 'Porch pirate' charged with snatching bait package, throws fit at court appearance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Another problem with three strikes laws is that law enforcement can be arbitrary. Low level felony offenses often have disparate arrest rates among various demographic and geographic categories. Some people with three strikes may have done nothing different than someone else who never even received their first strike.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I don't know the answer, but certainly believe there should be an escalating punishment for career criminals as they get caught in their acts, but there should always be room for judicial discretion in sentencing.

Something has to be done or out of frustration, people go the vigilante route. I remember a case way back in the early '90s in NYC. This one criminal would break into every car in the neighborhood, smashing windows, and taking whatever he could.

It was endless 'catch and release'. He would just go back to smashing up car windows. At one point, the police just stopped showing up.

One victim had enough and dispatched Mr. Car Window Smasher into the 'great beyond'. He of course was arrested and charged with murder. I think if I was on that jury, I would be tempted to let the guy go.

In Germany, where regular police enforcement fails, the vigilante patrols are starting to coalesce.

Agreed that "catch and release" is not a valid solution. It is, sadly, the SOP around here.

Surprised that the guy you referenced even got sent away. Another 80s case (the famous Bernhard Goetz incident) saw a jury acquit him of all charges except illegal possession of a firearm, and he shot 4 muggers in the subway, and turned himself in after a few days. People in the NYC of the 70s and 80s were really fed up. It is no surprise that Death Wish resonated so strongly with people at the time.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I don't know the answer, but certainly believe there should be an escalating punishment for career criminals as they get caught in their acts, but there should always be room for judicial discretion in sentencing.

Something has to be done or out of frustration, people go the vigilante route. I remember a case way back in the early '90s in NYC. This one criminal would break into every car in the neighborhood, smashing windows, and taking whatever he could.

It was endless 'catch and release'. He would just go back to smashing up car windows. At one point, the police just stopped showing up.

One victim had enough and dispatched Mr. Car Window Smasher into the 'great beyond'. He of course was arrested and charged with murder. I think if I was on that jury, I would be tempted to let the guy go.

In Germany, where regular police enforcement fails, the vigilante patrols are starting to coalesce.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Aren't you frustrated with the system? I had a ground floor rental robbed twice, and then a guy from next door was caught across the street breaking and entering. He had 8 previous burglary convictions, and was out again in a few months.

This was the motivation for the '3 time loser' type laws. Three felonies and the judge has the option of putting you away for a very, very long time. You can only remove anti-social elements from society.. reforming them is impossible.

However, prison are overcrowded and judges are loathe to fill them up even more. A (now retired) sherriff's deputy told me how he would piss off the judge by digging through the law books, charging perps under statutes that couldn't be plead down easily to a misdemeanor. So at least, the perps would be pulled off the street for a few days, sitting in county jail.

Dealing with the perpetual criminal has been the bane of the civilized world for ages. In the past, the French and English established penal colonies. Singapore today has them beaten with a cane so hard their asses fall off.

This is a tricky one: on paper, it is easy to agree with the idea of "three strikes" laws. After all, those laws are targeted at proven career criminals, right? But, the problem with the concept is the lack of room for common sense, or judicial discretion. Some state legislatures have sought to control and dictate how punishment is meted out, and perhaps it is better to leave that to the judicial branch of government.

I remember when California first enacted its "three strikes" law, some homeless man got put away for a LONG time for stealing a pizza slice. Now, I do not condone theft, stealing, burglaries, or any crime. Certainly, no one will ever confuse me for being a liberal, or soft on crime, but common sense tells me that this is a troublesome outcome for the situation: putting a homeless man in jail for a long time because he stole a pizza slice seems like a gross misapplication of the law. But, the judge didn't have a choice: it was a third strike, so off to jail it was.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Aren't you frustrated with the system? I had a ground floor rental robbed twice, and then a guy from next door was caught across the street breaking and entering. He had 8 previous burglary convictions, and was out again in a few months.

This was the motivation for the '3 time loser' type laws. Three felonies and the judge has the option of putting you away for a very, very long time. You can only remove anti-social elements from society.. reforming them is impossible.

However, prison are overcrowded and judges are loathe to fill them up even more. A (now retired) sherriff's deputy told me how he would piss off the judge by digging through the law books, charging perps under statutes that couldn't be plead down easily to a misdemeanor. So at least, the perps would be pulled off the street for a few days, sitting in county jail.

Dealing with the perpetual criminal has been the bane of the civilized world for ages. In the past, the French and English established penal colonies. Singapore today has them beaten with a cane so hard their asses fall off.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
It's guys like this that make you wonder if Sharia Law isn't onto something. He'd definitely be hampered by having his hands chopped off....

How about a forehead tattoo: CAREER CRIMINAL

We'll send you off to Afghanistan to do more research, how does that sound?

Posted on: 2018/3/8 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
It's guys like this that make you wonder if Sharia Law isn't onto something. He'd definitely be hampered by having his hands chopped off....

We'll send you off to Afghanistan to do more research, how does that sound?

Posted on: 2018/3/8 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2018/3/7 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
2 years ago he did this..

Hoboken Cops Say Man Allegedly Stole Credit Cards From Grimaldi's Pizzeria

The cards were used in several places between Hoboken and Jersey City to ring up more than $400 in purchases, police say.

By Eric Kiefer, Patch Staff | Apr 23, 2016

Hoboken Cops Say Man Allegedly Stole Credit Cards From Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Hoboken, NJ ? Hoboken police charged a Jersey City man with burglary and theft after he allegedly took multiple credit cards from a restricted area of Grimaldi's Pizzeria last month.

According to the Hoboken Police Department, a detective began an investigation into the theft after an employee reported that several of their personal credit cards were missing.

The cards were then used in several places between Hoboken and Jersey City to ring up more than $400 in purchases, police stated.

Through investigative efforts, Hoboken police identified Jason Lanzo, 33, as the person who allegedly used the credit cards.

He was arrested on Thursday evening, police said.

Resized Image

Jason Lanzo, now 35

Posted on: 2018/3/7 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
good !

Posted on: 2018/3/7 18:06

'Porch pirate' charged with snatching bait package, throws fit at court appearance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(lol)

'Porch pirate' charged with snatching bait package, throws fit at court appearance

Updated 10:55 AM; Posted 10:54 AM
By Michaelangelo Conte The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- A Jersey City man arrested on theft charges during a "porch pirate" police sting threw a temper tantrum at his court appearance when told the state had filed a motion to detain him through the course of his prosecution.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 1.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2018/3/7 17:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017