Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Judge OKs site plan for controversial 'micro-unit' project in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
for anyone considering kondo-sizing or pursuing a minimalist lifestyle, these planned induction cooktops look fab. who needs a big ass stove anymore.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90313508/w ... ves-and-why-you-might-too

Posted on: 2019/3/4 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i wonder if co-living buildings will be coming to jc anytime soon...it seems to be gaining momentum.

https://sf.curbed.com/2019/2/27/182432 ... s-starcity-housing-crisis

It has become all the rage in DC and Boston. I really don't get it...

It's high-density, it's efficient, it's cheap, it's like getting a big apartment without the hassle of finding roommates and hoping they pay their share of the rent. The JC units are prefurnished, the building includes laundry and a gym.

I'd add that several cities now have a major problem with affordable housing, and increasing density is one of the few options.

It's all of those things you mention except cheap. I've looked at the rental prices being charged on the various websites and the differential between either getting your own studio or living just a little further from the city center and I'm not seeing more than a few hundred dollars a month savings, at most.

I suppose you have a point about finding roommates and hoping they pay their share of the rent though - if one of the people in these spaces quits paying, it's not your problem, and that can be a major headache for someone whose name is on the lease but sublets a room to someone, especially in New York City. I know someone in New York City who sublet a room in the apartment he was renting and the person suddenly quit paying and it took six months to get them evicted. Six months without getting their share of the rent, not to mention the attorney fees.

At the end of the day it's like those old SRO/boardinghouses they had in NYC which were mostly gone by the 70s, with private bathrooms for each unit and a communal kitchen instead of a full-service dining room. What goes around comes around, I guess.

Posted on: 2019/3/1 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i wonder if co-living buildings will be coming to jc anytime soon...it seems to be gaining momentum.

It has become all the rage in DC and Boston. I really don't get it...

It's high-density, it's efficient, it's cheap, it's like getting a big apartment without the hassle of finding roommates and hoping they pay their share of the rent. The JC units are prefurnished, the building includes laundry and a gym.

I'd add that several cities now have a major problem with affordable housing, and increasing density is one of the few options.

Posted on: 2019/3/1 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

It has become all the rage in DC and Boston. I really don't get it... seems to be nothing more than a long-term youth hostel, or a glorified rooming house (much like those SRO buildings they used to have in NYC). I've seen the websites of Oslo, WeLive and Ollie, and they really make it look all so glamorous and wonderful... at the end of the day, there's no privacy unless you're asleep in your bedroom. The rents don't seem that cheap, considering you don't have your own kitchen space.

Co - working I could do. Co - living? Hell no!

I feel this is nothing more than a legalized, formalized version of something people have been doing for a long time. Years ago, the NYT ran articles about this, chronicling the setups of multi-tenant apartments (usually 4 people) renting one 2-bedroom apartments and they would keep work schedules that ensured they could take turns in sharing beds, so some would work nights, and others would work regular daytime shifts. Heck, nowadays, there is a cottage industry around non-permanent walls installers that can partition a one bedroom place into sleeping quarters for 3 or 4 people. There is a lot of that happening in Newport.

Not even when I was a lowly IT employee manning a help desk would I have done this, but different people have different tolerance levels for privacy (or, lack thereof) and I guess some people rather live the "big city experience" than saving money living elsewhere. I still have friends in their late 30s and early 40s that live with roommates so they can stay in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I am with caj11 - definitely not my thing.

Posted on: 2019/3/1 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

It has become all the rage in DC and Boston. I really don't get it... seems to be nothing more than a long-term youth hostel, or a glorified rooming house (much like those SRO buildings they used to have in NYC). I've seen the websites of Oslo, WeLive and Ollie, and they really make it look all so glamorous and wonderful... at the end of the day, there's no privacy unless you're asleep in your bedroom. The rents don't seem that cheap, considering you don't have your own kitchen space.

Co - working I could do. Co - living? Hell no!

Posted on: 2019/3/1 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/3/1 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
What bs. Despite losing numerous times, the VVPA wins in the end anyway. There needs to be accountability for these illegitimate NAs.

Which part in particular is BS?

Quote:
Are there any renderings/pictures of what this project will look like? VVPA has surely seen them by now, but given their site is defunct and they post nothing on their Facebook page, the rest of the community is in the dark as to what's going there.

The developer made one presentation at VVPA. Some people made suggestions, asked questions.

But are you seriously holding the VVPA responsible because you don't know what a developer is building? Are you that lazy?

Posted on: 2019/2/14 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I did not have as many problems as others with the project, though the way it was pushed through was deceptive.

But how is the VVPA illegitimate?

And Yvonne has not had anything to do with it for a long time.
if I recall correctly, I think vvpa worked to stop this because the project was given automatic approval after zoning or some department failed to give a yay or nay in a timely manner or something like that.

Posted on: 2019/2/14 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
It looks like this project has finally broken ground, crews are in there today tearing up pavement and getting ready for piling after close to 7 years of pointless NIMBYism.

Are there any renderings/pictures of what this project will look like? VVPA has surely seen them by now, but given their site is defunct and they post nothing on their Facebook page, the rest of the community is in the dark as to what's going there.

Posted on: 2019/2/13 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I did not have as many problems as others with the project, though the way it was pushed through was deceptive.

But how is the VVPA illegitimate?

And Yvonne has not had anything to do with it for a long time.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

oreoz wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
The developer of said micro-units ended up selling the property and still remains an empty lot to this day. Does anyone know what's going on with this property?

Perhaps no development has happened because any developer knows they'll be forced to waste tens of thousands in legal fees fighting lawsuits from NIMBYs, the incompetent VVPA and their ringleader Yvonne.

I believe another developer is proposing a smaller project on the site (still around 5 stories and 40 units).

What bs. Despite losing numerous times, the VVPA wins in the end anyway. There needs to be accountability for these illegitimate NAs.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 15:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/3 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
The developer of said micro-units ended up selling the property and still remains an empty lot to this day. Does anyone know what's going on with this property?

Perhaps no development has happened because any developer knows they'll be forced to waste tens of thousands in legal fees fighting lawsuits from NIMBYs, the incompetent VVPA and their ringleader Yvonne.

I believe another developer is proposing a smaller project on the site (still around 5 stories and 40 units).

Posted on: 2018/11/5 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
As usual you are wrong again, nicky. I spoke at the council meeting when this ordinance came up. You can always ask the city clerk for a copy of the meeting. I was told this is just the beginning, there will be public hearings. That never happened. That particular property was used by the board of ed originally for a trailer. Later, it was used for teachers' parking. So, this was originally public land being transferred to a developer. All public land should have public hearings, there should be no backroom door meetings.

Posted on: 2018/11/3 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2018/11/3 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
looks like nyc is moving ahead with micro/co-living apartments. I guess SROs are back in vogue

https://www.6sqft.com/new-york-city-to ... -co-living-pilot-program/

Posted on: 2018/11/3 1:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 17:19
Group:
Registered Users
?Intelligence?? Here are some facts.

Under the previous administration, a planner (who is no longer employed by the City) poorly wrote a Redevelopment Plan which had no explanation of allowable density either by units / acre or form based. That planner purposefully misled the planning board and the city council as to the true intentions of the RDP and described it as "similar to the neighborhood with parking". You can read the transcripts and watch the council caucus meeting here https://brightandvarick.blogspot.com/p ... ices-and-transcripts.html (Coincidentally, our current Mayor and the current Director of the JCRA served on council at the time.)

Over the following 2 years, the school is evicted from the property, the city transfers the land to the JCRA, a redeveloper agreement is negotiated, and a new Mayor is elected. The public becomes aware of the proposed project as it was listed in his transition report. The project is totally unlike anything in the city (or the country for that matter) with microunits which are 10x the density of the surrounding neighborhood. The developer wanted the project to be the first of its kind on the east coast. Definitely not "similar to the neighborhood".

The VVPA asked the City for an official opinion as what the omission of a density requirement in the RDP means and the City refers it to the Zoning board for an interpretation. But the developer refused and instead of presenting the merits of the project to the board, he sued the City for an automatic approval. He caused his own delays and forced the City to defend its directives and zoning laws. If it was really the intent of the City to have a microunit project at this location, the developer should have presented the project and would have been approved.

The VVPA intervened on the case and appealed the automatic approval with the support and in conjunction with the City. Automatic approvals should not be allowed when there is a legitimate question if the project conforms to the zoning regulations to begin with. This decision just provides another way for developers to take advantage of the City and avoid public comment.

Posted on: 2017/12/26 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i believe it is because of the na that anyone noticed that this project "fell through the cracks". Quote:

Bamb00zle wrote:
Glad this topic keeps bubbling up to allow focus on the main event: The City letting this application slide by has the rancid stink of corruption.

There are statutory time frames that MUST be complied with once a submitted development application is considered ?complete? for review. The NJ Municipal Land Use Law (MLUL) explicitly allows 45 days for review and disposition. The City knows this and also knows if they fail to act within the 45 days, the application is deemed approved by default under the MLUL provisions. It is absolutely clear in the MLUL and has been upheld repeatedly by NJ Courts. These provisions aren?t secret, and the process isn?t rocket science.

Very strangely, of all the development applications the City sees, for THIS particular application the City ?overlooked? the statutory timelines. Think about it for a second. Incompetent..? No, the City knows the rules. That leaves deliberate, which is about what I?d expect from Jersey City. Sure, I don?t have any evidence, however, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is isn?t a giraffe, it?s a duck.

Either way, incompetent or deliberate, the question that SHOULD be addressed is how did this happen? Who in the City was responsible, and whom did they know...? Did anyone notify the State or Feds what happened? And did the City appraise the Feds about the 45 day MLUL timeline? That?s an important detail they may not immediately be familiar with. I hope someone reads this and start asking a few questions.

All you City Operatives who hang out here, got any "intelligence" on this...? No, I didn't think so.

What a total mess Jersey City is?. Who gives a rats ass about NA?s and this application.?? Not me. That?s just a diversion from the real story.

Posted on: 2017/12/26 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The City...you mean certain staffers in Planning? Yes indeed

Posted on: 2017/12/26 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Glad this topic keeps bubbling up to allow focus on the main event: The City letting this application slide by has the rancid stink of corruption.

There are statutory time frames that MUST be complied with once a submitted development application is considered ?complete? for review. The NJ Municipal Land Use Law (MLUL) explicitly allows 45 days for review and disposition. The City knows this and also knows if they fail to act within the 45 days, the application is deemed approved by default under the MLUL provisions. It is absolutely clear in the MLUL and has been upheld repeatedly by NJ Courts. These provisions aren?t secret, and the process isn?t rocket science.

Very strangely, of all the development applications the City sees, for THIS particular application the City ?overlooked? the statutory timelines. Think about it for a second. Incompetent..? No, the City knows the rules. That leaves deliberate, which is about what I?d expect from Jersey City. Sure, I don?t have any evidence, however, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is isn?t a giraffe, it?s a duck.

Either way, incompetent or deliberate, the question that SHOULD be addressed is how did this happen? Who in the City was responsible, and whom did they know...? Did anyone notify the State or Feds what happened? And did the City appraise the Feds about the 45 day MLUL timeline? That?s an important detail they may not immediately be familiar with. I hope someone reads this and start asking a few questions.

All you City Operatives who hang out here, got any "intelligence" on this...? No, I didn't think so.

What a total mess Jersey City is?. Who gives a rats ass about NA?s and this application.?? Not me. That?s just a diversion from the real story.

Posted on: 2017/12/25 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
If this plan was not part of a redevelopment zone, there would be no problems. I spoke at city hall on the ordinance and I was told there would be hearings. I am still waiting for the hearings.

Posted on: 2017/12/24 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
if the nas are so atrocious, then all the haters should show up and try to make them more "productive" instead of just complaining. if the leaders are self-appointed, maybe that's because it is a thankless job that few want to commit to.Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
in case, you didn't notice there is a reason i used "" for having skin in the game, but, it is obvious to me that most owners have a far more significant amount of their networth in the home than renters...am i missing something? and no one is preventing renters from coming to na meetings to discuss safety and security; i have even heard owner-occupiers discuss safety and security at na meetings...and sometimes they even have police captains at these meetings.

and btw, a quite a few of the renters who attend these na meetings complain about parking tooQuote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i have attended a few of these na meeting and while i did find that MANY folk were concerned about parking, i did not find them dismissive of renters even though renters "have less skin" in the game.

as far as wanting updated minutes, may i suggest that you join ur na and then post minutes on the website for members of the community to see. please keep in mind that these are volunteer organizations with LIMITED resources

How do renters ?have less skin? in the game? I have always found that rationale to be a lazy crutch used by people to dismiss the concerns or complaints of renters. Things such as quality of life concerns have the same impact on renters or owners. Matters of safety and security are, of course, equally important to renters. So, why would that be considered less skin in the game?

About someone else being able to post minutes: that?s impossible unless the person in charge of the NA?s website is willing to hand over the credentials to modify the site. Good luck with that.

I wish there was a way to comprehend your follow up. Alas, your writing is atrocious and it seems like you just repeated exactly what you had stated in your previous post. Fortunately, judging from the other posts, it seems most people here agree that the NAs are ran like mini fiefdoms of entrenched old timers with outdated interests and concerns.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
in case, you didn't notice there is a reason i used "" for having skin in the game, but, it is obvious to me that most owners have a far more significant amount of their networth in the home than renters...am i missing something? and no one is preventing renters from coming to na meetings to discuss safety and security; i have even heard owner-occupiers discuss safety and security at na meetings...and sometimes they even have police captains at these meetings.

and btw, a quite a few of the renters who attend these na meetings complain about parking tooQuote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i have attended a few of these na meeting and while i did find that MANY folk were concerned about parking, i did not find them dismissive of renters even though renters "have less skin" in the game.

as far as wanting updated minutes, may i suggest that you join ur na and then post minutes on the website for members of the community to see. please keep in mind that these are volunteer organizations with LIMITED resources

How do renters ?have less skin? in the game? I have always found that rationale to be a lazy crutch used by people to dismiss the concerns or complaints of renters. Things such as quality of life concerns have the same impact on renters or owners. Matters of safety and security are, of course, equally important to renters. So, why would that be considered less skin in the game?

About someone else being able to post minutes: that?s impossible unless the person in charge of the NA?s website is willing to hand over the credentials to modify the site. Good luck with that.

I wish there was a way to comprehend your follow up. Alas, your writing is atrocious and it seems like you just repeated exactly what you had stated in your previous post. Fortunately, judging from the other posts, it seems most people here agree that the NAs are ran like mini fiefdoms of entrenched old timers with outdated interests and concerns.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The often self-appointed leaders of these various neighborhood associations think they represent everyone in their neighborhood and make the city council meetings drag out longer with their stupid questions about every single city resolution out there. Those of us who maybe have one question or want to speak about one thing at a city council meeting but have kids to put to bed and a job to get up for in the morning don't have the luxury of sitting there for hours while all these wannabe politicians fill up all the speaking time. It's annoying and I do not give a damn about what any of them think about a micro-apartment building. The city's planning and zoning departments may leave a lot to be desired but these neighborhood association leaders sure aren't city planners by any stretch of the imagination. No surprise they lost the case and they were idiotic to bring it in the first place.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

And good luck getting said credentials if you show up having an opinion contrary to what the board thinks. Most of these people aren't democratically elected, most are appointed by the current board. And if you're not an ultra NIMBY, the board will not give you the time of day.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

And good luck getting said credentials if you show up having an opinion contrary to what the board thinks. Most of these people aren't democratically elected, most are appointed by the current board. And if you're not an ultra NIMBY, the board will not give you the time of day.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2017/12/22 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2017/12/22 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/12/22 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

not sure what the beef is with neighborhood associations, they have no legal authority in the zoning or redevelopment process. they organize and advocate on behalf of residents who are members. most are pretty fluid and change over time.

do they represent everyone? no. they represent those that live in an area that show up and choose to participate

The devil is in the details... my experience with two different NAs has been that they set meeting dates and times convenient to those already in the board, which are often unnecessarily inconvenient to newcomers who may want to participate. Calling for meetings at 7,or earlier, precludes most professionals working in NYC who don?t come home until that time, or later. Midweek meetings at 6 PM are a joke, really.

The beef that many of us have with NAs is that they portray themselves as representative of the neighborhood at large, but often focus on "pet projects" or concerns that only matter to one or two of the board members. And, because politicians believe they do in fact speak for all of the neighborhood residents, they listen to them and actually act on their requests/demands, without ever coming around to actually get a read on what others may think/want.

Exactly. My experience is that:

1) You won't be taken seriously if you're not an owner, the opinions of renters are immediately dismissed

2) If you're not an anti-development zealot and don't think parking is the #1 most pressing problem, your opinions are dismissed, you get called names or you're accused of being a paid lackey by developers

3) Their members say you should show up to meetings and fix this but when you show up to meetings or email them, they're immediately dismissive because of 1 and 2 above.

Not to mention boards being packed with multiple, unnecessary positions, some of which are "self-appointed" or chosen at the whims of fellow board members.

Also the fact they often fail to properly inform their communities what what they're doing, as many of their websites lack updated meeting minutes from the last meeting, often for many months. Also see the downright corrupt way in which some of these boards conduct themselves, such as the recent case of the VNA board trying to negotiate a backroom deal with the planning board to prevent certain areas of the village being upzoned without informing their members.

They oppose literally anything larger than a 2-story house, have no concept of modern urban planning, and when they don't get their way, they dispatch their patron saint Yvonne to wear down city hall until they eventually cave.

Meanwhile, all over downtown, packages continue to get stolen, pedestrian safety is decreasing, sidewalks are crumbling, lots are unkempt, trees are disappearing from sidewalks without being replaced, garbage is strewn everywhere and all the NAs talk about is parking and how horrible it is that infill and parking lots are being turned into something useful. The fact city hall has been more responsive to these concerns when I've contacted both than my own local NA says a lot about their priorities and who they're really looking out for (the selfish interests of their own board members).

Posted on: 2017/12/22 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

not sure what the beef is with neighborhood associations, they have no legal authority in the zoning or redevelopment process. they organize and advocate on behalf of residents who are members. most are pretty fluid and change over time.

do they represent everyone? no. they represent those that live in an area that show up and choose to participate

The devil is in the details... my experience with two different NAs has been that they set meeting dates and times convenient to those already in the board, which are often unnecessarily inconvenient to newcomers who may want to participate. Calling for meetings at 7,or earlier, precludes most professionals working in NYC who don?t come home until that time, or later. Midweek meetings at 6 PM are a joke, really.

The beef that many of us have with NAs is that they portray themselves as representative of the neighborhood at large, but often focus on "pet projects" or concerns that only matter to one or two of the board members. And, because politicians believe they do in fact speak for all of the neighborhood residents, they listen to them and actually act on their requests/demands, without ever coming around to actually get a read on what others may think/want.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 13:18

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017