Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Griffith between Central and Palisades
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't worry too much. There are definitely some characters on Griffith and around the park, but they are basically harmless. I say basically because some may get chatty or loud occasionally, be a little drunk, litter, or ask for fifty cents, but I can't say I've ever actually been threatened by any of the usual faces. I've also seen some catcalling, but no more than anywhere else (not that that makes it right).

Definitely be careful using the crosswalks at Griffith and New York Ave though. Cars are not fans of the stop signs there.

Posted on: 2017/9/26 19:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/10 12:42
From Jersey city nj
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tghost wrote:
We've been living here on Webster Ave nearly 4 years after 16 years living downtown. For all its shortcomings, we love living up here and love the neighborhood. All the people who seem "sketchy" are essentially harmless. You might even find that if you're in a time and position of need, they'll offer their help. Yes, they tend to be loud, obnoxious and generally not as respectful of the neighborhood as you are and that's frustrating....we get it. But, we've really come to like it here so much. It's definitely home.

As others have suggested, it's just a matter of time before you find your comfort zone here.

Welcome!

Thats great to hear! I moved from Manhattan where it's definitely more loud and dangerous, but something about quiet streets just freak me out. However, I'm already starting to see that Jersey is just quieter in general and am starting to settle in :)

Posted on: 2017/9/12 13:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey city nj
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheHeightsLife wrote:
We've lived at 120 Sherman Ave for 11+ years. If you're not familiar with the neighbors, give it time. They grow on you. There is a building on Webster Ave (just in from Hato Mayor bodega) that routinely has police activity, etc. We avoid walking on that side of the street. Other than that, everyone is pretty approachable. As others have mentioned, use common sense after hours.

You may also want to peruse the newsletter section of the RNA, our neighborhood group. See http://riverviewneighborhood.org/

The RNA spearheads community issues and welcomes anyone to attend their monthly meetings, which includes an update from the local police precinct with involvement from the Mayor's Office (who also lives nearby).

And don't forget to visit the weekly farmer's market at Riverview Park --- it's arguably the best amalgamation of the Heights community. Seek friendly faces (particularly at the RNA booth) and ask questions.

Welcome to the Heights.

Thanks a bunch for this info! I think I will stop by the meeting tonight actually - I'd love to get involved in the community.

Posted on: 2017/9/12 13:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
We've been living here on Webster Ave nearly 4 years after 16 years living downtown. For all its shortcomings, we love living up here and love the neighborhood. All the people who seem "sketchy" are essentially harmless. You might even find that if you're in a time and position of need, they'll offer their help. Yes, they tend to be loud, obnoxious and generally not as respectful of the neighborhood as you are and that's frustrating....we get it. But, we've really come to like it here so much. It's definitely home.

As others have suggested, it's just a matter of time before you find your comfort zone here.

Welcome!

Posted on: 2017/9/12 10:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/29 17:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
We've lived at 120 Sherman Ave for 11+ years. If you're not familiar with the neighbors, give it time. They grow on you. There is a building on Webster Ave (just in from Hato Mayor bodega) that routinely has police activity, etc. We avoid walking on that side of the street. Other than that, everyone is pretty approachable. As others have mentioned, use common sense after hours.

You may also want to peruse the newsletter section of the RNA, our neighborhood group. See http://riverviewneighborhood.org/

The RNA spearheads community issues and welcomes anyone to attend their monthly meetings, which includes an update from the local police precinct with involvement from the Mayor's Office (who also lives nearby).

And don't forget to visit the weekly farmer's market at Riverview Park --- it's arguably the best amalgamation of the Heights community. Seek friendly faces (particularly at the RNA booth) and ask questions.

Welcome to the Heights.

Posted on: 2017/9/11 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Off topic, but do check out the restaurant, the other side of the Moo. They make some mean gumbo

Posted on: 2017/9/10 11:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey city nj
Group:
Registered Users
Hi bunny22,

I actually live at 120! It really is a great building. Thank you for the advice!

Posted on: 2017/9/10 3:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Take a right onto Bowers. Sorry. I walk my dog in Riverview park after dark all the time and feel safe unless it's later, as I said

Posted on: 2017/9/9 21:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Griffith isn't pretty and there are sketchies but I've lived here over 15 years (female) and never had a problem. I never feel unsafe and I go to 5 star liquor all the time. Just don't do it late at night. Nothing good happens anywhere at 2 am or later. If it really creeps you out then walk down Sherman and take a left onto Bower street to get to Palisade. Don't think that's necessary though. I used to live at 120--the buildings come a long way

Posted on: 2017/9/9 21:11

Griffith between Central and Palisades

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey city nj
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

I just moved into a beautiful building on Griffith and Sherman ave and was looking for some info on my neighborhood. Everybody keeps telling me how safe all of the heights is and theres nothing to worry about, yet I'm still concerned. I feel like I'm in a little not-so-safe pocket. When I looked up this area on these forums it looks like theres been some shootings here within the last few years, however, everybody keeps saying how much JC has changed for the better.

I usually take the bus on palisades and griffith and I'm wondering if I should change my route to one which avoids walking down Griffith? Theres definitely some sketchy characters but I don't know if theyre actually a threat.

Any info would be great!

Posted on: 2017/9/9 19:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017