Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Getting title to an abandoned car
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Unless she is the administratrix of the estate her signature might not matter. He should have checked the intestacy statute or consultes a lawyer before he decided to take possession.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

As for the 'estate' in this case, the wife of the deceased requested that I remove the car so she could get the parking space back for her new car. She just doesn't have a copy of the title.

I bet if you get the right form signed by her - likely you can get a title from NJ -- call the DMV and ask what you need to do.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I think moving it might be an error.

Nolo says:

Motor vehicles. Occasionally, a departing tenant will leave an inoperable or ?junker? automobile in the parking lot or garage. l

I went through this about 6 years ago on a different property (junk car abandoned). My attorney handled it and after something like 90 days, I was free to remove the car.

As for the 'estate' in this case, the wife of the deceased requested that I remove the car so she could get the parking space back for her new car. She just doesn't have a copy of the title.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 15:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, you committed a crime by moving the vehicle. It is not your property, not may it be deemed "abandoned" in the absence of a court order. It's estate property. You can file a claim against the estate for the storage charges, but you can't touch the vehicle. Serious mistake.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I think moving it might be an error.

Nolo says:

Motor vehicles. Occasionally, a departing tenant will leave an inoperable or ?junker? automobile in the parking lot or garage. Motor vehicles are often a special category of personal property to which state rules on abandoned property don?t apply. If the tenant has left a car or other vehicle behind, call the local police, giving the vehicle?s license plate number, make, and model, and indicate where it?s parked. The police will probably arrange to have it towed after determining that it is abandoned.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedi ... property-an-overview.html

Posted on: 2017/4/10 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I found an info packet for abandoned vehicles on the DMV site. Lots of paperwork it appears....

Posted on: 2017/4/10 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I had a friend of mine remove an abandoned car from one of my buildings. The friend was planning to chop the car up for parts. However, the car it turns out, is not in too bad of shape. He would like to get title to it.

The former owner is deceased and the car has been abandoned for about a year. So technically, I own it.. but how do I go about proving that to the MVC?

This guidance from DMV should help, but I think the vehicle belongs to the owner's estate, not you.

Additional information

Posted on: 2017/4/10 1:41

Getting title to an abandoned car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I had a friend of mine remove an abandoned car from one of my buildings. The friend was planning to chop the car up for parts. However, the car it turns out, is not in too bad of shape. He would like to get title to it.

The former owner is deceased and the car has been abandoned for about a year. So technically, I own it.. but how do I go about proving that to the MVC?

Posted on: 2017/4/10 1:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017