Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jcresident16 wrote:
a flexible working schedule is not an option for everyone. yes, i was talking simply fitting into a train. 37,000 units seems like it will always be crowded in the mornings and afternoons, no matter how early you leave.

Who says 37k units (if one person ea.) will be taking the PATH ? I guess they'll cross that bridge or river when they come to it.

I am sure the majority of those units will be occupied by people attracted to JC by its amenities and job opportunities...

I am a HUGE JC booster, and I spend the vast majority of my free time locally, but let's get real. JC's number one allure for most people is its close proximity to NYC and its direct links that make for an easy, fast commute.

Posted on: 2017/4/1 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresident16 wrote:
a flexible working schedule is not an option for everyone. yes, i was talking simply fitting into a train. 37,000 units seems like it will always be crowded in the mornings and afternoons, no matter how early you leave.

Who says 37k units (if one person ea.) will be taking the PATH ? I guess they'll cross that bridge or river when they come to it.

Posted on: 2017/4/1 14:41
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/10 18:33
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/1 8:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
[quote]So you're going to add 20 minutes to your commute, just to get a seat?

Is that what people are fretting about -- not getting a seat in the mornings? Seriously?

Guess you've never taken the path during rush hour.

I take it every work day, and on weekends as well. During rush hour.
I think you might be traveling in a parallel universe.

Quote:
You can't get IN the train.

Total nonsense. Even for Newport riders.

It can get a little crowded, but it is extremely rare that the train is so jammed you can't get on. When that does happen, there's usually a half-empty train right behind it.

You want crowded? Try the 4/5/6 during rush hour.

You are probably confusing the alternate universe you are traveling in with reality. Or else you are one of those people who just push into the train as long as they can get two toes in the door. Or just a troll on JC List with no actual experience. Lots of those lately.

The only time I've never been able to board a PATH train due to capacity issues was at 2am in the morning. Lol. Run more trains at night Port Authority!

The only time PATH is really bad is at 8:15-8:45am. I've seen people unable to board but they just get on the next one arriving 110 seconds later. If you don't like the crowds, leave 30 minutes earlier, or 30 minutes later if your work allows it.

Nothing but whine on JClist. Lol.

I take the 33rd PATH between 8.30 and 9am daily as well and don't experience this crazy overcrowding either. The only times i might not get in is when there are issues and the train frequency is not what it should be.

I ma not saying that the Port Authority could not do a better job managing the PATH (they clearly could) but the situation is not as dire as described on this thread...

Posted on: 2017/4/1 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Is that what people are fretting about -- not getting a seat in the mornings? Seriously?

Quote:

It can get a little crowded, but it is extremely rare that the train is so jammed you can't get on. When that does happen, there's usually a half-empty train right behind it.

You are probably confusing the alternate universe you are traveling in with reality. Or else you are one of those people who just push into the train as long as they can get two toes in the door. Or just a troll on JC List with no actual experience. Lots of those lately.

The only time I've never been able to board a PATH train due to capacity issues was at 2am in the morning. Lol. Run more trains at night Port Authority!

The only time PATH is really bad is at 8:15-8:45am. I've seen people unable to board but they just get on the next one arriving 110 seconds later. If you don't like the crowds, leave 30 minutes earlier, or 30 minutes later if your work allows it.

Nothing but whine on JClist. Lol.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2017/3/31 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2017/3/31 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jcresident16 wrote:
seems we won't be able to use the PATH... Recent article says it's 37,000 new units - how are we going to fit?

https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-real-estate-development-2017/

If nothing changes between now and 2019 or 2020, and the trains become so crowded you can't get on one heading to NYC by the time it arrives at Grove, just take ride it one station away to JSQ, stay seated and ride it back to NYC.

So you're going to add 20 minutes to your commute, just to get a seat?

Your reading comprehension is a little poor, as others have already pointed out.

As for your other posts on this thread, don't you find it somewhat thought provoking that your experience is so different from that of (seemingly) everyone else? You keep discounting people's observations as if they are coming here to post utter fantasies. I take the PATH at all times because my schedule is flexible enough that it allows me to do so, but I can tell you without any doubt or reservation that I have seen many people, on many occasions, not be able to get into a car because it is too packed. Of course, this is usually between the hours of 8 to 9, when the rush hour commute is worst.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
This file is from 2005 where they anticipated the the signal upgrades would be completed 2010-2015.

33rd st signal upgrade completed last year, has the service times increased since.

I may be wrong, but I believe they only finished installing the equipment for 33rd Street in February.
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... alling_safety_system.html

My guess is they have to finish the WTC, and do a bunch of testing, before switching over to the new system.

Sounds like it'll be done in 2018.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2017/3/31 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
This file is from 2005 where they anticipated the the signal upgrades would be completed 2010-2015.

33rd st signal upgrade completed last year, has the service times increased since?

Not sure when the WTC upgrade will be completed...

Posted on: 2017/3/31 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Sleep?or a hassle-free morning commute.

Choose wisely

Or negotiate with your employer to come in later. Newport at 9 am is fine.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://corpinfo.panynj.gov/files/uplo ... -requests/15532-WTC-7.pdf

The signaling upgrades will allow trains to run every 90 seconds (or 40 trains per hour). Currently, it's every 116 seconds (or 31 trains per hour). That's a 29 percent increase in capacity.

The referenced link says due to ridership projections, PATH plans to run less than 40 trains per hour. In other words, PATH is in control of the crowding situation. They only increase it once it reaches critical situations.

Once the number of trains in maxed out, then they're going to go from 8-car to 10-car trains. That's another 25 percent increase in capacity in addition to the 29 percent increase from the signaling upgrades. Only at that point will PATH be truly at capacity and we'll have to look at adding another rail line, like the old plan to extend the NYC 7 line to New Jersey.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Choose wisely

+1

I'm been getting to work earlier and avoiding the crowds. 8:30 is impossible on PATH. Just don't do it.

Oddly enough, the return home commute isn't as bad.

It doesn't seem odd to me, lots of people stay in NYC for dinner/happy hours

Posted on: 2017/3/31 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Choose wisely

+1

I'm been getting to work earlier and avoiding the crowds. 8:30 is impossible on PATH. Just don't do it.

Oddly enough, the return home commute isn't as bad.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users

Choose wisely

Posted on: 2017/3/31 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
not sure even Sean Spicer could positively spin the Port Authority's strategic planning for the PATH system.

Perhaps they could create some new positions a la Tokyo where you have the guys that physically push people into the train cars....

Posted on: 2017/3/31 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jcresident16 wrote:
seems we won't be able to use the PATH... Recent article says it's 37,000 new units - how are we going to fit?

If nothing changes between now and 2019 or 2020, and the trains become so crowded you can't get on one heading to NYC by the time it arrives at Grove, just take ride it one station away to JSQ, stay seated and ride it back to NYC.

Guess you've never taken the path during rush hour. You can't get IN the train. Nobody cares about a seat. I've had to let 3 trains go by before I can get in one. Before 8am is slightly better. It adds I would 6-8 minutes to the trip. HOWEVER again after 8:30 you may need to wait at JSQ for a train or two to go by. Seriously.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No, that's not what Bodhipooh wrote. He said that one won't even be able to get on a train to get into Manhattan. So instead one would have to get on a train going in the wrong direction and stay on when it turns around. The "seated" part was not the point, but odds are one could get a seat going against traffic.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jcresident16 wrote:

Posted on: 2017/3/31 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresident16 wrote:
seems we won't be able to use the PATH... Recent article says it's 37,000 new units - how are we going to fit? /

I just have to point out, this thread started in 2008... with a poster named scooter worried that the PATH will be overwhelmed with riders in "the next few years." Apparently, a track condition on one single day demonstrated that the entire system was doomed.

Somehow, that Malthusian nightmare did not come to pass.

As to your question: PA is already taking several steps to increase capacity. One is that they are revamping the signal system, both to meet new federal requirements, but also to allow them to run more frequent trains.

They are also expanding the Harrison station, to allow 10-car trains on the WTC line.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresident16 wrote:

If nothing changes between now and 2019 or 2020, and the trains become so crowded you can't get on one heading to NYC by the time it arrives at Grove, just take ride it one station away to JSQ, stay seated and ride it back to NYC. Some people at Newport already do this, rather than try and get on at their station, as the trains that arrive at Newport are often too full to allow others to board. Problem solved, you just have to leave 10-15 minutes earlier.

Posted on: 2017/3/31 11:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/10 18:33
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/31 11:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
the escalators are grove street were down again today...like they are every week it seems. what is the problem? rain, corrosion? i don't get it. hong kong, with its storms, has the longest, highest escalator system in the world [i think] and it functions RELIABLY.

maybe the port authority should install escalators at the marin blvd entrance too.

There is a thread on this topic. The escalator were designed for indoor user:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=322657

Posted on: 2017/3/13 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
the escalators are grove street were down again today...like they are every week it seems. what is the problem? rain, corrosion? i don't get it. hong kong, with its storms, has the longest, highest escalator system in the world [i think] and it functions RELIABLY.

maybe the port authority should install escalators at the marin blvd entrance too.

Posted on: 2017/3/13 6:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/6 1:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Oh yeah, and I almost forgot the best part: After taking the WTC train from Grove, the train stops for 10 minutes before Exchange Place! Come on!!

Everyone expects the trains to be packed at rush hour. But the problem is that there is so much development happening in DTJC, Journal Square, and even Harrison and Downtown Newark, but no investment is being made to increase capacity. Right now it is a matter of finger pointing between cities and the PA, which we all know is not going to solve anything.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Separately but related - The PATH has been a disaster on weekend mornings lately, especially going to 33rd. Has anyone else noticed this? Last w/e, I eventually took the train to WTC and subway up to midtown since it didn't appear that any trains were going to 33rd at all after waiting close to 30 minutes.

It is worse than a disaster taking PATH to NYC these days.

What a pathetic joke of a service while totally monolpolizing transport to NYC - the trains don't run and crawl when they do.

There should be large affordable ferry services along the waterfront like the Hong Kong Star Ferry or even the Staten Island Ferry - no reason apart from greed this does not exist.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Bring in peak pricing, like the MTA does for the LIRR, to reduce overcrowding on PATH and encourage folks to leave earlier or later.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:
Separately but related - The PATH has been a disaster on weekend mornings lately, especially going to 33rd. Has anyone else noticed this? Last w/e, I eventually took the train to WTC and subway up to midtown since it didn't appear that any trains were going to 33rd at all after waiting close to 30 minutes.

Looking at Saturday (Feb 4) morning Twitter they posted "Due to emergency track repairs, train service on the JSQ-33 via HOB line is operating on a 15 minute schedule." So hopefully, it's not an ongoing weekend problem.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 17:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/6 1:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The problem also is that the PA loses money on the PATH every year, even with growing ridership. So, they probably don't want to invest as the future returns are not there.

It's beyond me why an expensive expansion to EWR needs to happen. They have the AirTrain from NJT already. I just think adding a bunch of people with big suitcases (esp at rush hour) would make the overcrowding worse.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 17:15

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017