Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Sound Proofing Company-Recommendations
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
we are also looking for some options to do some soundproofing in our condo - as we have 10-12 ft ceilings we don't really mind a 2-3" drop as it won't be very noticeable

my issue is that I am worried that it is "energy transfer" as the main "culprit" of the noise is an active toddler who lives upstairs though loud TVs and cell phones on vibrate (I assume place directly on their floor/my ceiling) can also be heard

we looked into getting one of the fancy sound proofing co from the city come in but they want $2K just to look at it and then you still need to hire someone else to do the work.... if the green glue and sheetrock will do it then I don't want to shell out the extra $2K just to have someone tell me that

I don't need it to be recording studio silent just rather not have to hide in my basement to be able to take a work call because its so distracting

Posted on: 2017/4/17 21:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/21 15:18
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
We are happy to help! Give us a call at 800.616.3831. JJ Builders, specializing in all home renovations! www.j-jhomeremodeling.com

Posted on: 2017/4/17 19:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/13 17:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Looking for someone as well.

We tried the Roxul ("rotten cotton") solution last year. It muted the noise from the neighbors but you can still hear them. We opened walls. Stuffed it in. Sealed it back up.

Our new contractor recommended putting the green glue and another layor of dry wall. We don't want to do this bc it will cut out space in the room. Looking for an alternative.

Our situation is that we share a single wall with a neighbor running the length of the apartment. We have sprinklers so this type of construction is ok by code.

Posted on: 2017/3/15 17:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quietrock is a rip off. You are better off with double 5/8" drywall and green glue. Decoupling to avoid flanking through the framing members would be top of my list.

Posted on: 2017/2/24 18:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
We just did a major reno in our rowhouse condo, we deeply regret that we didn't spend the extra $$ for solid quietrock drywall panels, particularly for the ceiling...too late now.

Posted on: 2017/2/24 16:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There are always options. PM me if you'd like any more info. Be happy to take a look.

Posted on: 2017/2/23 18:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:09
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
The best sound proofing "stuff" is the density/mass of the wall itself. Best combination is mass, i.e., double 5/8 drywall, plus decoupling of wall from the framing members, which can be accomplished with double stud construction or resilient channel installed on isolation clips. Insulation itself won't significantly improve the STC rating of the wall.

ok. didn't fully understand that. are you trying to say it's probably a worthless effort? i am seeking to engage someone who is an expert in sound proofing, not attempt to do anything myself.

Posted on: 2017/2/23 17:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The best sound proofing "stuff" is the density/mass of the wall itself. Best combination is mass, i.e., double 5/8 drywall, plus decoupling of wall from the framing members, which can be accomplished with double stud construction or resilient channel installed on isolation clips. Insulation itself won't significantly improve the STC rating of the wall.

Posted on: 2017/2/23 16:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Not brick. New construction. Eifs which is like a synthetic stucco. Was thinking would have to rip up walls, insert sound proofing stuff, put wall back up and replace Windows

Posted on: 2017/2/23 1:10

Re: Sound Proofing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PeteJC wrote:
Greetings. I am looking into sound proofing walls/windows that face noisy street. We get too much noise from cars. Does anyone have recommendation for reliable companies that do this? There are a couple in NYC that I have come across by searching online, but would be interested in other options as well.

Thank you.

Is the exterior of the building outside your windows brick ?

Then a sound investment would be soundproof windows which are expensive but worth the investment if it is your own place.

Not worthwhile if you're in a framed wood house as the sound always make its way inside.

Posted on: 2017/2/22 22:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for collating. i do not want to attempt to do it myself. don't have the time or the know-how.

Posted on: 2017/2/22 21:12

Re: Sound Proofing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Same for me - I am interested in soundproofing a wall I share with a neighbor.

Posted on: 2017/2/22 20:51

Sound Proofing

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Greetings. I am looking into sound proofing walls/windows that face noisy street. We get too much noise from cars. Does anyone have recommendation for reliable companies that do this? There are a couple in NYC that I have come across by searching online, but would be interested in other options as well.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2017/2/22 20:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/22 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
These are all very helpful suggestions for soundproofing walls.

Does anyone have any suggestions re: soundproofing floors? It appears that my home's sub floors were not properly attached or are coming loose, creating squeaking everytime one walks ... I would like to remove the hardwood flooring and screw down the sub floor properly. While I am at, I'd like to add sound soundproofing before installing hardwood floor so as to decrease general noise between floors.

Any experience with this or suggestions for contractors?

Thanks so much.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Roxul is excellent and it's sold at Home Depot. It's worth its weight in gold. You can also blow in insulation as long as it's fireproof. A lot of these old rowhouses have common floors and the sound travels along the floors, not just through the walls so make sure whatever you do it breaks the sounds ability to travel along the floor also. I used both spray foam and Roxul because I don't want to hear a thing from my neighbors. Now I hear only a distant hum of her vacume cleaner occasionally but no television or music. Good luck with whatever you do!
On a separate note, Allied is extremely expensive. I hoped to get a special energy rated roof coating from them because they're local. They wanted $2000. I ordered directly from the manufacturer and got it for $800 including shipping.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 1:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
If you don't mind losing 4 inches from that wall you can--and should--if the noise is that bad--frame another wall with 2 x 4's right on top of your existing wall. Stuff the cavities between the 2 x 4s with ROXUL mineral wool insulation. This is a Canadian product used for both soundproofing and fireproofing. It is not available at Home Depot or Lowes but you can get it at "Allied Builing Supplies." (and no, I don't work for them). This makes a HUGE difference in the soundproofing. It is worth the effort. Double drywall the new studs with 5/8 inch sheetrock--not 1/2 inch. The contractor will say that's for ceilings and it is but you can use on walls and you need the extra thickness. Squirt green liberally between these 2 layers of sheetrock in a silly string pattern. Within 30 days, it will cure and act as a sound dampener. Acoustical caulk is important around any hole or outlet.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

driverjase wrote:
I had the exact same scenario and did it myself.
If you aren't handy, do what bunny22 says and hire a good sheetrocker (really any good contractor).
These are the steps that I took...

Wow - many thanks, driverjase!!

Posted on: 2013/2/20 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I had the exact same scenario and did it myself.
If you aren't handy, do what bunny22 says and hire a good sheetrocker (really any good contractor).
These are the steps that I took:
1) Keep the initial sheetrocked wall up. If it's brick, you'll need to add a first layer of sheetrock.
2) Get Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound.
3) Get the thickest sheetrock sold at your local hardware store (typically 5/8"). I got the type X which is firecoded. You could do what bunny22 mentioned and get quietrock which will help, but most contractors don't want to deal with it because of how heavy it is.
4) Apply the Green Glue to the back of the sheetrock (go with the highest amount that they recommend).
5) Hang the sheetrock in the opposite direction that the first layer is hung. Typically the first layer is hung horizontally, so you would hang the second layer vertically. This is to avoid seams lining up and allowing some sound leakage.
6) Get Green Glue Noiseproofing Sealant.
7) Seal seams between sheetrock and the top and bottom of the sheetrock.
8) Mud and sand as usual.
9) Paint

Give the Green Glue 30 days to set completely. At this point, you shouldn't hear your neighbor anymore (unless he just cranks his bass).

If you do hear some noise, make sure you didn't forget to use the sealant to fill around electric boxes and any other possible conduit for noise not covered by the Green Glue.

So basically the only part normal contractors aren't doing day to day is the Green Glue portion, which really is dead simple.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

Reviving this thread after an extended dormancy. My row house bedroom is adjacent to the neighbor's TV room. Although he's a good guy and agrees not to play it too loud, at any volume it sounds like the TV set is sitting there in the bed. I have to soundproof ASAP to halt my descent into madness.

I have a guy who does a variety of basic jobs at the house, but he's not entirely comfortable taking on a soundproofing job. And I checked with Acoustilog (mentioned below), but they wanted more than $2K just to do an assessment with space age sound tools. This isn't a job that merits that degree of complexity or cost.

Has anyone worked with a reliable local contractor who's done a good job with basic soundproofing? Would be grateful for any referrals.

Thanks!!

Posted on: 2013/2/20 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Acoustilog did some great work for me in a condo where I heard every footstep in the apartment next door.

http://www.acoustilog.com/

Posted on: 2011/5/13 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Green glue is a very good thing. It's expensive but worth it. What you really need is a sheetrocker--this will be cheaper than a soundproofing company. Spend the money on materials. Use 2 layers of sheetrock with green glue in between--like a peanut butter sandwich. Use quiet rock for at least one of those layers. Buy some acoustical caulk for around the outlets and things should be very quiet.

Posted on: 2011/5/12 19:53

Sound Proofing Company-Recommendations
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good sound proofing company? I have a shared wall with another row house and I can hear when my new neighbor sneezes which is not a good sign! I have read about the foam, thicker dry wall, some green glue etc. but was hoping someone might be able to recommend a good company!

Posted on: 2011/5/12 16:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017