Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Woman dies falling off escalator inside famed World Trade Center Oculus while reaching to grab hat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
Oh no, this is sad. Some reports online report this was a suicide attempt... Jumping in front of trains, jumping from highrises, now jumping from the Occulus...

http://nypost.com/2017/08/01/man-plummets-from-oculus-balcony/

I only assume the PATH was saying accident falling off steps was to prevent every depressed / mentally ill person from deciding this is the best way to go.

Yesterday as I walked by, looking at the distance from the platform to point of impact, you would have to think it was a swan dive to propel out that far. Very sad and lucky no one else was hurt.

Posted on: 2017/8/2 16:48

Re: Woman dies falling off escalator inside famed World Trade Center Oculus while reaching to grab hat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
It is sad but there's nothing we can do about it.

At least he didn't jump in front of a train, which creates very long delays for tens of thousands of people.

Posted on: 2017/8/2 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
Oh no, this is sad. Some reports online report this was a suicide attempt... Jumping in front of trains, jumping from highrises, now jumping from the Occulus...

Likely just embarrassed that his parents only would find him living in Downtown Jersey City rather than Manhattan.

Posted on: 2017/8/2 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/8/2 15:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/18 19:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/8/2 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Went by there about 1:00... it would have to be quite an accidental fall considering where the victims personal effects and the 1st Responder lblue latex gloves were located on the main floor.

Quite a distance from the 3rd floor viewing platform.

Posted on: 2017/8/1 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Man Falls 30 Feet Inside Oculus World Trade Center, FDNY Says
BREAKING: A man was injured Tuesday when he fell from a staircase inside the World Trade Center transportation hub, authorities said.

By Ciara McCarthy (Patch Staff) - Updated August 1, 2017 1:14 pm

Man Falls 30 Feet Inside Oculus World Trade Center, FDNY Says
FINANCIAL DISTRICT, NY ? A man was seriously injured on Tuesday when he fell from a staircase inside the "Oculus" World Trad Center transportation hub, authorities said.

The man fell from the east staircase inside the transportation hub and shopping center, a Port Authority spokesman confirmed. An FDNY spokesman said the man was believed to have fallen about 30 feet through the air.

The man has been transported to a nearby hospital, authorities said. The extent of his injuries was not immediately known. An FDNY spokesman told Patch that injuries were "serious," but did not have additional details. The fall was reported to the fire department shortly after 12 p.m.

EMS members are operating on scene at 185 Greenwich St. 1 patient transported in serious condition
Aug 1, 2017

Authorities did not identify the man, but a Port Authority spokesman said he is believed to be about 40 years old. Port Authority police are investigating the incident, and did not immediately have additional information about what preceded the fall.

In February, a woman died after she fell from an escalator inside the Oculus. Police said the woman was reaching for her sister's hat, which had fallen as the two were riding down the escalator.

https://patch.com/new-york/downtown-ny ... ld-trade-center-fdny-says

Posted on: 2017/8/1 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
It was unintended use of the escalator handrail.... so i don't think there is any liability claim. Sorry that she died doing this silly prank. Her twin sister must live with the awful fact that she did nothing to prevent it.

Incorrect word choice. She was drunk and over-reached for a hat that fell off.

prank
praNGk/Submit
noun
a practical joke or mischievous act.
synonyms: (practical) joke, trick, piece of mischief, escapade, stunt, caper, jape, game, hoax, antic; informallark
"it was just a stupid and childish prank"
verbinformal
play a trick or practical joke on (someone).
"the individuals who were pranked thought they were auditioning to be a TV show host"

Why are you so invested in shaming a dead person?

Who's shaming a dead person? Take another look at my post.

What was the point of your post exactly?

Posted on: 2017/2/16 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
It was unintended use of the escalator handrail.... so i don't think there is any liability claim. Sorry that she died doing this silly prank. Her twin sister must live with the awful fact that she did nothing to prevent it.

prank
praNGk/Submit
noun
synonyms: (practical) joke, trick, piece of mischief, escapade, stunt, caper, jape, game, hoax, antic; informallark
verbinformal
"the individuals who were pranked thought they were auditioning to be a TV show host"

Who's shaming a dead person? Take another look at my post.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

I'm with Mr. TwoPoops on this.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

prank
praNGk/Submit
noun
verbinformal

Posted on: 2017/2/16 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

prank
praNGk/Submit
noun
verbinformal

Posted on: 2017/2/16 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Serious question: If no one cosigned and she's dead, what does her debt matter? Are they going to go after her sister, parents?

In some cases, yes - and the collection efforts are aggressive.

Christie did sign a law last year covering some student debts.

When my little brother passed away in 2002, I remember Gateway wanted me (his executrix and caregiver) to ship back his computer that he had financed. They were very aggressive in their tactics. I told them to basically f off. The computer sits in my closet to this very day.

Sorry for your loss and for bringing that memory back. Thanks for the reply and information.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Serious question: If no one cosigned and she's dead, what does her debt matter? Are they going to go after her sister, parents?

In some cases, yes - and the collection efforts are aggressive.

Christie did sign a law last year covering some student debts.

When my little brother passed away in 2002, I remember Gateway wanted me (his executrix and caregiver) to ship back his computer that he had financed. They were very aggressive in their tactics. I told them to basically f off. The computer sits in my closet to this very day.

Posted on: 2017/2/15 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/15 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Very sad for the lady who seemed like she was in the prime of her life.

RIP

Posted on: 2017/2/15 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Seems they met their $20k target on gofundme - because now they're asking for $30k...

https://www.gofundme.com/in-loving-memory-of-jenny-santos

Posted on: 2017/2/14 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
Federal loans automatically discharge... Even if they were private loans, the family has galls I'll give them that. If it were me, I would go dig a hole and hide from embarrassment.

It just gets dumber and dumber. I hope the security guy doesn't feel bad. What, was he suppose to shut down the entire elevator and his post for 30 or 60 min to retrieve a hat?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/m ... -plunge-article-1.2971732

That's an interesting story that certainly sheds some more light on things - though the gore at the end was completely disrespectful and unnecessary.

And all of this could've been prevented - from all parties, it seems.

A very sad, sad loss indeed.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
The Oculus is a death trap waiting to happen. If there is ever a situation that causes a panic there, it will be terrible. The stairs leading to the Path trains are terribly designed, the flooring and stairs are hard marble, and there are far too few open exits. The side exits are short escalator, stairs, and another set of escalators with lines to get on the escalators any time around rush hour. Commuters are always walking into one another's way. I compute there each workday and everyday I look to see if they have opened more exits (they have not). It was designed for an open concept and for shopping, but it a terrible commuting hub.

I have no doubt that in your opinion and from your perspective this is true. But I see it the exact opposite. Multiple shorter runs give people options when exiting, especially if there is an inoperable point of egress. I find the entire space to function beautifully in large crowds when people can navigate the large, unencumbered space and wide stairs. So, to each his own.

I'd add that they almost certainly ran crowd flow simulations at various points in the design process. That's fairly easy to do with modern software.

AFAIK there are at least 5 points of egress, in different directions. It's easier to get out of than, say, most of Penn Station -- or the old mall under the WTC.

My biggest issue in this respect is the lack of hand rails on the two wide staircases. That doesn't make sense to me.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
The Oculus is a death trap waiting to happen. If there is ever a situation that causes a panic there, it will be terrible. The stairs leading to the Path trains are terribly designed, the flooring and stairs are hard marble, and there are far too few open exits. The side exits are short escalator, stairs, and another set of escalators with lines to get on the escalators any time around rush hour. Commuters are always walking into one another's way. I compute there each workday and everyday I look to see if they have opened more exits (they have not). It was designed for an open concept and for shopping, but it a terrible commuting hub.

I have no doubt that in your opinion and from your perspective this is true. But I see it the exact opposite. Multiple shorter runs give people options when exiting, especially if there is an inoperable point of egress. I find the entire space to function beautifully in large crowds when people can navigate the large, unencumbered space and wide stairs. So, to each his own.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 16:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
When you die, your student debt goes with you. It's not inherited. What am I missing?

Private co-signed loans are not automatically forgiven, depends on the company and fine print of each individual loan. Cosigned government loans are automatically forgiven.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
If her parents co-signed those loans...

Posted on: 2017/2/14 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
When you die, your student debt goes with you. It's not inherited. What am I missing?

Posted on: 2017/2/14 12:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Federal loans automatically discharge... Even if they were private loans, the family has galls I'll give them that. If it were me, I would go dig a hole and hide from embarrassment.

It just gets dumber and dumber. I hope the security guy doesn't feel bad. What, was he suppose to shut down the entire elevator and his post for 30 or 60 min to retrieve a hat?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/m ... -plunge-article-1.2971732

Posted on: 2017/2/14 11:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Ms. Santos' GoFundMe page (to collect money to pay off her school debt) indicates "many of the stories" circulating in the press are fabricated. Hmmm.

These stories come from people who say they watched the videotape.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the person who set up this page was just saying that because they didn't want to discourage donations. Also, since this happened right next to the twin sister, who went to the hospital purely for her mental trauma, I wouldn't be surprised if the sister is in denial of what happened, because accepting the truth could literally kill her.

I trust the videotape and can't think of any reason why these people would be lying. It's certainly not to discourage a lawsuit, because then the tape would come out anyway. However, even assuming that the person who set up this funding page is lying, it is still a very sad story.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote: I can't help but think of the 10,000 dumb things I've done after a few drinks. I was just luckier than this young lady.

This is exactly what I was thinking. My thoughts are with the family.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Ms. Santos' GoFundMe page (to collect money to pay off her school debt) indicates "many of the stories" circulating in the press are fabricated. Hmmm.

I can't believe they collected $17k all ready. I'm usually cynical of these type of charities.

With good reason besides dubious causes (a fool and his money...). GoFundMe takes a nice chunk of each donation. Further, as I've run a few of them for community members in need, people can make donations and then effectively cancel them a month later when their credit card statement arrives and they don't "remember" making that charge. That comes right back out of your bank account as a reverse charge if you've withdrawn the collected funds and used them for the charitable purpose. It's happened to our fundraisers several times and GoFundMe doesn't care. Also, funds you collect could be taxable in certain cases - GoFundMe sends out 1099's at year end - and beneficiaries are on the hook for these taxes.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:

I can't believe they collected $17k all ready. I'm usually cynical of these type of charities.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 2:05
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/14 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
cant be careless around escalator.

this was another tragic accident that happened in china recently that was escalator related.

The baby died, the little girl luckily held onto the steps and didnt fall down. Very sad.

https://youtu.be/IB-oo-kosSo

Posted on: 2017/2/13 23:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017