Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Mathew's food & drink
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Your ass is too bony. You should have stayed longer and eaten something!

Posted on: 2017/4/12 23:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to be the jerk in this thread, we stopped by and the seats/stools were so hard and uncomfortable, we left. No cushions, no backs, it was like a frat house..

Posted on: 2017/4/12 23:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 21:55
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Love this place, I go there often for lunch and dinner!

Posted on: 2017/4/12 21:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/30 23:47
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Had to post. Went there 2 weeks ago before a show at Monty hall. One of the best meals I had downtown in a long time. Def recommend it over some of the other new places popping up everywhere around grove.

Posted on: 2017/4/12 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hubby and I went for the first time last week. One of the best Manhattan cocktails ever. We shared three starter plates. A great meal. We'll be back soon

Posted on: 2017/2/10 16:43

Re: Mathews Food and Drink Grove Street Everyday Sophistication

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 6:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Went there for the first time last week for lunch. Food was amazing, drinks were even better. Would definitely recommend this place and looking forward to trying out their dinner menu soon, good amount of Vegan options too.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 3:06

Mathews Food and Drink Grove Street Everyday Sophistication
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/3/2 18:39
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/24 7:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Definitely giving up on trying to understand your point. If you think of a $14 burger as being too pricey, well... We have different expectations. As for the comment about $4 being 40% more than $10, I suppose you think of $1.40 as being entirely too expensive for the same product sold elsewhere for $1. Unless you are on a very tight budget, $4 is nothing in terms of price variations when it comes to eating out. There is a reason why statistics are so derided in so many sayings... they can be manipulated to try and illustrate a point. Of course, if we were talking about a difference in bills between $100 and $140, then yeah, that is a big difference and the comment about 40% would make sense.

Did I say anywhere that $14 or $140 is a lot to me? Again you are going off on tangents, this guy asked if their prices were reasonable, I only stated they are one of the more expensive restaurants.

This is fact, no matter how you try to spin it. It is not a reflection of me nor my spending habits. I happen to like eating at nice places, I'd pay $16 for a burger there.

Cool, dude. You are seriously getting way too worked up over nothing.

To the OP: a visit to Matthews will likely not disappoint. Definitely check it out.

As for TonyTwoPoops, and Bill: we can meet at Matthews one of these days and I will buy each of you a (goodwill) beer. Maybe we can change the ongoing dynamic and impressions by engaging civilly in real life.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Definitely giving up on trying to understand your point. If you think of a $14 burger as being too pricey, well... We have different expectations. As for the comment about $4 being 40% more than $10, I suppose you think of $1.40 as being entirely too expensive for the same product sold elsewhere for $1. Unless you are on a very tight budget, $4 is nothing in terms of price variations when it comes to eating out. There is a reason why statistics are so derided in so many sayings... they can be manipulated to try and illustrate a point. Of course, if we were talking about a difference in bills between $100 and $140, then yeah, that is a big difference and the comment about 40% would make sense.

Did I say anywhere that $14 or $140 is a lot to me? Again you are going off on tangents, this guy asked if their prices were reasonable, I only stated they are one of the more expensive restaurants.

This is fact, no matter how you try to spin it. It is not a reflection of me nor my spending habits. I happen to like eating at nice places, I'd pay $16 for a burger there.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What's the difference?

Ultimately, the point (which others in this thread back up) is that the place is not any more expensive that most other places in the neighborhood. Particularly given the quality of what you get in food and ambiance and overall experience.

As for the price of burgers, I think any decent burger (accompanied with fries) at a sit down restaurant in DTJC will set you back at least $10 - $15. That's just the going price point.

Wow, you confuse me. Sometimes you come across as intelligent, other times like this, it's like you're reading only what you want to think you read.

What's the difference between more expensive and most? I need to explain that? And then you qualify your argument with adding ambiance and overall experience?

After I show you that $14 is kinda expensive for a burger, you try to group that $14 with the $10 burgers which is 40% more?!?

The guy only asked if the food prices were reasonable. This is a guy who was looking for a 2BR < $1600

Give up man.

Look up what a mansplainer is- I bet anything that Bodipooh is a dude simply going by the bizarre need to give lengthy condescending opinions for every inane question someone asks on this board.

Yup... that's me. You are definitely not the first person to think of me as condescending, or an asshole. It happens. I think I can live with that.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What's the difference?

Ultimately, the point (which others in this thread back up) is that the place is not any more expensive that most other places in the neighborhood. Particularly given the quality of what you get in food and ambiance and overall experience.

As for the price of burgers, I think any decent burger (accompanied with fries) at a sit down restaurant in DTJC will set you back at least $10 - $15. That's just the going price point.

Wow, you confuse me. Sometimes you come across as intelligent, other times like this, it's like you're reading only what you want to think you read.

What's the difference between more expensive and most? I need to explain that? And then you qualify your argument with adding ambiance and overall experience?

After I show you that $14 is kinda expensive for a burger, you try to group that $14 with the $10 burgers which is 40% more?!?

The guy only asked if the food prices were reasonable. This is a guy who was looking for a 2BR < $1600

Give up man.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What's the difference?

Give up man.

Not for nothing but "this is a guy who" FOUND a 2BR < $1600, so there we have it.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
I'd say it's one of the more expensive restaurants of JC.

I'd say you need to get out more... Lots of expensive places in JC, and particularly in DTJC. In terms of prices, this place is more or less the same as every other new place that has opened in recent years.

Off the top of my head, I would put Porto Leggero, Liberty Prime Steakhouse and Edward's Steakhouse as the most expensive in DTJC, followed by Batello on the Newport waterfront, and Maritime Parc and Liberty House in LSP. After those, I think The Archer is next in terms of higher prices. Then it is the rest of places into which Matthews fits in terms of prices. For reference, my burger was about $14, and I think the pasta (bucatini with rock shrimp) was about $18, with the lamb dish being the most expensive (I think) at about $25.

Most expensive place in JC (for food only) is actually outside of DTJC: 15 Fox Place.

Great. I'd never consider a $14 burger pricey, so sounds good to me!

Posted on: 2016/10/18 17:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/4 12:53
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get it. If his name is Mateusz, why is it named Mathew's? Did he think the global melting pot that is JCList would not be comfortable with such an ethnic name? How could that be?

Or is he taking his cues from the current political scene, and he realized if he started #namergate, he could get all the free publicity he wants from the ensuing JCList controversy?

I say we come together in the way only JCList can and give this guy what he deserves....a 30 post thread arguing about the proper way to name something!

LET FREEDOM RING!

Posted on: 2016/10/18 17:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What's the difference?

Give up man.

Look up what a mansplainer is- I bet anything that Bodipooh is a dude simply going by the bizarre need to give lengthy condescending opinions for every inane question someone asks on this board.

sounds like a word someone made up to prevent men from voicing opinions.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What's the difference?

Give up man.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

Mao wrote:
These are the same folks from White Star, are they not?

Yes. The owner's name is Mateusz (Mat) so not sure where the name Matthews comes from.

Mateusz
Matthews

You're really not sure where the name came from?

If your name is Mateusz
It's not spelled Matthew's

Pretty simple.

No, it's not spelled Matthew's. You are 100% correct about that.

But still, if you can't do the math on where the name came from, I can't help ya.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 16:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

Mao wrote:

Yes. The owner's name is Mateusz (Mat) so not sure where the name Matthews comes from.

Mateusz
Matthews

If your name is Mateusz

Pretty simple.

The restaurant isn't spelled Matthew's either

Posted on: 2016/10/18 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What's the difference?

Give up man.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

Mao wrote:

Mateusz
Matthews

If your name is Mateusz

Pretty simple.

If you're Polish it is.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

Mao wrote:

Mateusz
Matthews

If your name is Mateusz

Pretty simple.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
I said, one of the more expensive, not one of the most expensive.

What's the difference?

Posted on: 2016/10/18 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

Mao wrote:

Mateusz
Matthews

Posted on: 2016/10/18 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I'd say you need to get out more... Lots of expensive places in JC, and particularly in DTJC. In terms of prices, this place is more or less the same as every other new place that has opened in recent years.

Off the top of my head, I would put Porto Leggero, Liberty Prime Steakhouse and Edward's Steakhouse as the most expensive in DTJC, followed by Batello on the Newport waterfront, and Maritime Parc and Liberty House in LSP. After those, I think The Archer is next in terms of higher prices. Then it is the rest of places into which Matthews fits in terms of prices. For reference, my burger was about $14, and I think the pasta (bucatini with rock shrimp) was about $18, with the lamb dish being the most expensive (I think) at about $25.

I'd say you need to learn to comprehend your reading more.

I said, one of the more expensive, not one of the most expensive. It seems silly to compare steakhouses and seafood restaurants to a neighborhood location. However I'll indulge you with the burger. Mathew's is one of the more expensive at $14 dollar burger. I had the burgers at Maritime Parc & Batello, guess how much they cost?

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:

Most expensive place in JC (for food only) is actually outside of DTJC: 15 Fox Place.

Is 15 fox place still around? How would you rate it against Laicos?

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wylietene wrote:
I went on Saturday night. I thought the food was amazing and relatively priced. My friend complained that the service was slow, but I did not feel that way at all! Go and enjoy.
i thought mathews was quite pleasant...nothing fancy but fair. i thought prices were reasonable especially compared with some of the disgusting prices they charge at some of the newer manhattan restaurants (blame the rent).

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/18 15:47
Group:
Registered Users
I went on Saturday night. I thought the food was amazing and relatively priced. My friend complained that the service was slow, but I did not feel that way at all! Go and enjoy.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:23

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017