Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: More teardowns and Bayonne Boxes coming in the Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:

I would tend to think that the hipsters would prefer living in multi family dwellings as opposed to unattached houses.

My statement is based on the feedback I got at a meeting about development of Central Ave. Landlords and business owners wanted more flexible zoning for business use and higher density allowances for new construction.

On the other side was artists / hipster contingent that vehemently opposed any development that increased density. The opposition was in part based in fear that further development would lead to more gentrification and hence, rising rents.

Others just didn't want more people living in the area, wanting the Heights to become more suburban in nature.

I'm willing the bet the so called artists and hipsters are just unemployed transplants from New York, living in the off pink Bayonne Boxes, with mommy and daddy funding their lifestyles.

If the best my parents could do was renting me an apartment in Jersey City, I would sue to legally change my status to "orphan" LOL.

Seriously, as an 8 year+ transplant from NYC (and here on my own dime) I doubt the newcomers would credibly support an effort to reduce denser development - at least as far as more businesses/amenities etc. that benefit them are concerned. With greater demand you will get more "hip" cafes, bars, venues etc., and presumably, with demand, better mass transit. The current crop (my neighbors) don't really care about that.

But I agree, we need to approach this aggressively to counter the influence the NIMBY/Riverview Neighborhood Association crowd, and advance the voice of the wider community.

Posted on: 2016/10/19 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
What sizes are these lots? A typical lot downtown is 25 feet wide max. So these types of houses can't be built.

Typical is 25ft with some a little over 30ft (typical on corner lots). Those houses are on 25' wide lots with a total of a 5' of side set back (2 ft on one side and 3 ft on the other). So that gives you about 18ft or so of internal space to work with.

It really is a shitty spec to work with.

Skinny lots are okay if you can build up and build without a side set back. I have a townhouse on a 17ft wide lot that has a great layout. But it shares a common wall with the house on each side of it.

Posted on: 2016/10/17 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
What sizes are these lots? A typical lot downtown is 25 feet wide max. So these types of houses can't be built.

Posted on: 2016/10/17 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Between the condo rental developments and these boxes it will look like J.C. mid twentieth century only sixty years later. Not sure who makes the final decision on this but if it comes to a public vote I feel only tax payers should be the ones allowed to cast their concern seeing that they are the ones with the vested interest here in J.C.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 23:37
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Who at the city do we email our concerns?

Posted on: 2016/10/16 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
With the required setbacks and height restrictions, you pretty much end up with a Bayonne box. If you want something like a brownstone townhouse, the zoning has to be changed.

This is the reason to declare war on R-1!!

Unless the zoning is changed, much of JC will look like below after a wave of teardowns. This is not the "New Urbanism experience" many people are looking for. The Master Plan is being redone, lets not let this suburban vision of JC stand and shape our city outside of Downtown and the redevelopment zones.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/16 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Neverleft: Why accept mediocre when we can have so much better? More flexible zoning can make that happen.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Four new 2 family homes are going up in Marion on Logan Avenue across the street from the Flores Car Wash entrance which is also kind of next to Marion Gardens. (yikes) 140, 144, 146, 148 Logan Avenue. They are going for $775,000 each.

I think they are going to be a continuation of the style of houses like 134 Logan. (not too hideous .. not pink brick and have a little detail) Google map 134 Logan Jersey City. The new houses realtor ads only show construction progress not the finished front yet. Those 4 houses are much better then the crumbling building and empty lot that they are replacing.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I plan to reface the siding on one of my building late 2017 or in 2018 (finances permitting). The vinyl siding and the asbestos shingles are going bye bye.

I am evaluating one particular product (doing a test install) to see how it looks).

The issue with the zoning is you can't make a good looking building. With the required setbacks and height restrictions, you pretty much end up with a Bayonne box. If you want something like a brownstone townhouse, the zoning has to be changed.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
That's true they could be refaced but it won't happen anytime soon.

One by one they will. It's been happening downtown. Five old vinyl-clad houses on my downtown block have been refaced (or just had the vinyl removed to show the brick beneath) in the past 3-4 years. Just that made a huge difference on the appearance of the block overall. I'd rather wait and see each old home spruced up than see he neighborhood wiped clean and these ugly temporary boxes pop up everywhere.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
No, I fight against historical designation because I fought for historical designation in the 1970s and it was a disaster. I fought for it because Colgate was buying row houses and tearing them down. The landscape was scarred just like Europe after the bombs were dropped.
What happened, the city issued harsh penalties against their own citizens and people gave up and left. Sorry, people before buildings.
If you should be upset that the city is constantly adding redevelopment zones around the city. That means local zoning are eliminated so if the city looks horrible. At the last council meeting, JC created another redevelopment zone behind 100 Montgomery St. Fulop has been councilman for 8 years and mayor for 3, he either created for voted for these horrible zones that have no set backs or open space while he ask the public to contribute their money for open space he is not requiring this of developers. The last open space by a developer is the Canco Park in Journal Square.
Let me add, there has been some give backs by developers in Journal Square, but not real open space as in the past.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's true they could be refaced but it won't happen anytime soon.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yes. Those houses, once the vinyl siding is removed, would be lovely.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 20:26
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/14 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
I shiver everytime i pass one of these houses, especially when its next to a row of historic buildings. The pitch roof, cheap, slapped together materials and driveway are such eyesores in any setting.

Driveways specifically are a real detriment to a city where there is a dense walking population. cars passing between streets and what should be a safe section of travel for people always leads to issues. if not injuries, at least most of the time, cars will jut out into the walking path forcing walkers to pop into the street to avoid them. i wish the planning board would have some balls to ban these things.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

These are the type of houses that Yvonne believes should be built throughout all of JC... It's why she fights against historical designation.

Dammit man, why'd you have to mention her name? Now like the Devil, she will appear.

You're going to have to fight her tooth and nail to get the R5 zoning implemented. She's probably already called her respective councilmen and faxed the respective neighborhood associations and gave them marching orders to oppose it.

Exactly. You better be prepared to see her at the council meetings spouting lies. You're going to have a rough time with Boggiano as well since that's her guy.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 19:14
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
For reference:

The awful pink Bayonne box that's homogenizing the Heights.

Resized Image

These are the type of houses that Yvonne believes should be built throughout all of JC... It's why she fights against historical designation.

I don't get it. What do you want built there? The other house to the left is the same thing with a much less appealing fa?ade. That is what I see all over the heights. At least the new buildings have brick fronts

Posted on: 2016/10/14 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Dammit man, why'd you have to mention her name? Now like the Devil, she will appear.

You're going to have to fight her tooth and nail to get the R5 zoning implemented. She's probably already called her respective councilmen and faxed the respective neighborhood associations and gave them marching orders to oppose it.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/14 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
For reference:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/14 18:36
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Beyond frustrated right now learning how the Central Avenue plan went down. I was wondering why there hasn't been much news since first introduced.

There was lots of dreamy talk about 'organic coffee shops' and car free pedestrian plazas.

Us pro development types were pretty much sitting at the same table at that point, shaking our heads in disbelief. Its nice to dream a little, but in the end, you want stuff like 'organic coffee shops', you need people in the neighborhood who can pay for stuff like that.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
On top of all that is the fact that developers are forced to do those peaked roofs rather than flat because the R-1 zoning law as written gives 5' of pitch allowance to peaked roofs but NONE to flat roofs! Flat roofs are NOT flat!

Posted on: 2016/10/14 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:

I would tend to think that the hipsters would prefer living in multi family dwellings as opposed to unattached houses.

My statement is based on the feedback I got at a meeting about development of Central Ave. Landlords and business owners wanted more flexible zoning for business use and higher density allowances for new construction.

On the other side was artists / hipster contingent that vehemently opposed any development that increased density. The opposition was in part based in fear that further development would lead to more gentrification and hence, rising rents.

Others just didn't want more people living in the area, wanting the Heights to become more suburban in nature.

I'm willing the bet the so called artists and hipsters are just unemployed transplants from New York, living in the off pink Bayonne Boxes, with mommy and daddy funding their lifestyles. The second group sounds like the resident association of "We Got Ours" Ogden Avenue.

There is a huge Latino community along central avenue. They are unfortunately most at risk of being gentrified out by the tear downs and influx of Bayonne Boxes. Was this segment of the community even represented??

Can anyone point to a single community that has successfully stopped rents by rising by restricting density? Existing renters are just going to be outbid by wealthy transplants from NYC.

Beyond frustrated right now learning how the Central Avenue plan went down. I was wondering why there hasn't been much news since first introduced.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/14 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I should get off my ass and I try talking to Boggiano and Yun about getting an R-5 designation (at least 4 story townhouses with high ceilings).

The hipster element in the heights will freak out over it though.

MDM, feel free to sign me up if I can help in this effort. I wanted to create a webpage or facebook page on this topic, but I've been extremely busy. Writing to the JJ may help spread the word.

There's the folks concerned about parking, but there has to be an element of the neighborhood concerned around the demolition of interesting homes and the rise of homogeneous Bayonne boxes.

I would tend to think that the hipsters would prefer living in multi family dwellings as opposed to unattached houses. Take a look at the house on the left. Aluminum siding fa?ade is far worse looking that should be banned form urban environments. The height has plenty of them

Posted on: 2016/10/14 15:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Horrible but at least it doesn't have those god awful silver/gold railings. Barf.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
For reference:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/14 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I should get off my ass and I try talking to Boggiano and Yun about getting an R-5 designation (at least 4 story townhouses with high ceilings).

MDM, feel free to sign me up if I can help in this effort. I wanted to create a webpage or facebook page on this topic, but I've been extremely busy. Writing to the JJ may help spread the word.

There's the folks concerned about parking, but there has to be an element of the neighborhood concerned around the demolition of interesting homes and the rise of homogeneous Bayonne boxes.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/10/14 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Just heard that 417 Ogden is coming down, a simple house on double lot with a huge cherry tree in back.

Sort of answered that for yourself there.

Why u hatin' ?

The teardown may have been inevitable, but the coming ugly is not. Hoboken and Downtown don't get the ugly "highest possible profit margin" crap because they don't have R-1.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 3:19

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017