Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Economic violence in JC ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Having the good fortune of being born and raised in Jersey City long ago, I have the pleasant remembrances of a nicer place than the one that haphazardly exists today.
Unfortunately urban renewal cut a senseless swath through quite a large area along Montgomery Street and ours and many other homes were lost.
I kind of note a similar situation today especially in the downtown area as NYC spreads across the river and destroys the remainder of a unique culture in a rapid fashion.
Soon little pockets of what once was will be all that remains as buildings of behemoth proportions and too expensive condominiums crowd out those who represent earlier generations and their ways.
Some see it as progress I term it violence.

Thanks to all for contributing to the thread.

Thanks for the personal take on the situation, I now have a better understanding of where you are coming from. I would be one of those who see the evolution of Jersey City as a good thing, and have no problem with being honest about why. I'll admit I am a recent arrival (8 years and counting), and living in the Heights, struggle to see the unique culture that you do. Mostly, I see a tired, run down, isolated neighborhood that would benefit from even more new people, businesses, and development.

I do think long and hard about your original question - "Are the long established residents being bum-rushed by the changes that they are so unprepared for and will the city lose its identity with the changes?" - and I ask myself, as a newcomer what am I reacting to/expecting? No one wants to be branded an "interloper", but the whole area is always changing - there isn't room for most of us in NYC anymore - and Jersey City isn't an island. It will change, regardless, and no-one should make excuses for themselves that they were unprepared.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
A very real case can be, and has been, made that society as a whole benefits when low income earners are not housed in one location en masse. However, an overall improvement of neighborhoods that results in a dispersal of the low income earners isn't always bad.

I think it's a bit silly to say "you should have bought in the 90's!" For all we know, the poster could have been in high school in the 90's. It wasn't until the early 2000's that mortgage companies decided that children could be given half million dollar loans to buy property.

At the moment, if suggest those that see growth to seek property outside of downtown. It certainly is true that the only protection from increasing rents is ownership.

There are arguments both ways with respect to low income earners being "spread out", at least with respect to benefits for the low income people (it is always a loss for the normal folks who actually worked hard to earn what they have, but screw em, right?) This has killed many neighborhoods, and I'll use Chicago as a good example of this. Liberals always have great counter-arguments like "oh look, but the newly spread out gangbangers are shooting people with guns, the problem is guns! Also, they're living next to middle/upper class people but they're not really sharing their money! [insert assorted drivel here]" Basically, if you took Greenville residents and spread them around DTJC, most of us would have to flee somewhere else.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 18:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Having the good fortune of being born and raised in Jersey City long ago, I have the pleasant remembrances of a nicer place than the one that haphazardly exists today.
Unfortunately urban renewal cut a senseless swath through quite a large area along Montgomery Street and ours and many other homes were lost.
I kind of note a similar situation today especially in the downtown area as NYC spreads across the river and destroys the remainder of a unique culture in a rapid fashion.
Soon little pockets of what once was will be all that remains as buildings of behemoth proportions and too expensive condominiums crowd out those who represent earlier generations and their ways.

Everything changes. Get used to it. The building you live in, the building I live, the building every other schmuck who wastes their time reading this thread lives in will one day be something different or not be there entirely. The home you grew up in and the land you walk on was something different 50, 100, 200 years ago. The people who have lived in JC over the past 100-200 years have changed, significantly. And, it will always change...
Spending time blaming others and pointing fingers will keep you from leading a fulfilling life.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

I think you are looking at the past with rose colored glasses. Too nostalgic.

The truth is most of Jersey City used to be a complete dump.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/30 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
vi?o?lence

/?v?(?)l?ns/

noun

noun: violence

behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

synonyms: brutality, brute force, ferocity, savagery, cruelty, sadism, barbarity, brutishness More

"violence against women"

?forcefulness, force, power, strength, might, savagery, ferocity, brutality

"the violence of the blow"

?strength of emotion or an unpleasant or destructive natural force.
"the violence of her own feelings"

synonyms: intensity, severity, strength, force, vehemence, power, potency, fervency, ferocity, fury, fire
"the violence of his passion"

?Law
the unlawful exercise of physical force or intimidation by the exhibition of such force

Posted on: 2016/9/30 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
the taxes are high

This is not a provable statement. JC's tax rate is average for North Jersey.

If you are one of 2,000 on the tax lien sale, then I think it is provable. After all, JC homeowners were promised since the 1980s that development would stabilize the tax rate. This never happened. Development did stabilize Secaucus which does not give out abatements.

Again you live in a fact free zone. Since 2000 (the earliest date "effective tax rate" is used at http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/lpt/taxrate.shtml) JC's effective tax rate has dropped from 43% from 3.868% to 2.216% in 2015, while Secaucus dropped only 20% in that period. Defaults do not prove taxes are high, all they prove is some owners are broke or foolish. That will always be so. Besides, a late water bill can get you in tax lien sale.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
This thread is intellectual violence.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
A very real case can be, and has been, made that society as a whole benefits when low income earners are not housed in one location en masse. However, an overall improvement of neighborhoods that results in a dispersal of the low income earners isn't always bad.

I think it's a bit silly to say "you should have bought in the 90's!" For all we know, the poster could have been in high school in the 90's. It wasn't until the early 2000's that mortgage companies decided that children could be given half million dollar loans to buy property.

At the moment, if suggest those that see growth to seek property outside of downtown. It certainly is true that the only protection from increasing rents is ownership.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 0:51
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Best comment of the day...!

Agreed.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Best comment of the day...!

Posted on: 2016/9/29 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Economic violence is a type of violence committed by individuals or groups preying on economically disadvantaged individuals. In some circumstances the individuals may be service workers such as undocumented workers and food service workers,[1][2][3] in others they may be spouses,[4] or closeted gays.[5] The World Health Organization defines it as being a form of collective violence, committed by larger groups towards individuals.[6] The term is frequently associated with, or credited to, feminist theory, who term it as a broader form of violence beyond use or threats of physical force, to include sexual, psychological and economic violence.[7] In Argentinian law, it is defined as a form of domestic violence.[8]

its a thing

If you click the wiki link to "violence" at the very start of that, they point to a definition of physical harm. So this definition also encompasses things like abuse of domestic workers and other poor people. That is a very real thing and there are parts of the world where these people are essentially modern slaves, complete with being whipped or otherwise tortured when they displease their masters. You see this quite a bit with domestic workers in Saudi Arabia or fishermen in S.E. Asia, for example.

Expanding this to include needing to move because your apartment you're renting is sold or your rent is otherwise increased is nuts. Like I know we like to do this as a society (two drunk teens having intercourse is rape, just like the violent crime) but it is a stupid trend.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The economic violence happens every December when JC runs the ads for delinquent taxes and water. The water is high, Fulop took the $31.5 million surplus and the taxes are high because these people are not benefiting for tax abatements since abatements are not ratables, it artificially inflates the tax rate. Over 2,000 go into tax lien while developers get tax breaks. That is economic violence in JC.

The water is too damn high.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
the taxes are high

If you are one of 2,000 on the tax lien sale, then I think it is provable. After all, JC homeowners were promised since the 1980s that development would stabilize the tax rate. This never happened. Development did stabilize Secaucus which does not give out abatements.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/29 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
the taxes are high

Posted on: 2016/9/29 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
I'd define economic violence as a disregard for others in the name of profit for oneself.

A for instance:

Realtors constantly knocking on people's homes pestering them to sell which could lead to the ousting of long term tenants.

just because someone tries to get you to sell your house, doesnt mean that you should believe what they say. aggressive sales tactics are nothing new

Posted on: 2016/9/29 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
I'd define economic violence as a disregard for others in the name of profit for oneself.

A for instance:

Realtors constantly knocking on people's homes pestering them to sell which could lead to the ousting of long term tenants.

When did renters get the power to decide how much rent their landlord is able to charge them? If I own a building and I rent out units to tenants, it's my prerogative to charge them what I wish, within the bounds of what the market will tolerate.

Tenants have been screwed over by landlords going back to Roman times. Tenant farmers get screwed over by the owners of the land they till to this very day. The only way to defend yourself against such "violence" is to become a homeowner.

If you were renting an apartment for pennies downtown for decades and now you're getting forced out because you never bothered to buy a place when you could have picked up a row house for $150,000 in 1990, I have little sympathy.

Gentrification is a zero sum game: homeowners win, renters lose. The only way to protect yourself is to buy your home.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
There is severe economic violence inflicted on JC taxpayers every year via extortionate taxes for minimal public service.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The economic violence happens every December when JC runs the ads for delinquent taxes and water. The water is high, Fulop took the $31.5 million surplus and the taxes are high because these people are not benefiting for tax abatements since abatements are not ratables, it artificially inflates the tax rate. Over 2,000 go into tax lien while developers get tax breaks. That is economic violence in JC.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Lots of microagression going on here, I suggest you all retreat to a safe space.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Economic violence is a type of violence committed by individuals or groups preying on economically disadvantaged individuals. In some circumstances the individuals may be service workers such as undocumented workers and food service workers,[1][2][3] in others they may be spouses,[4] or closeted gays.[5] The World Health Organization defines it as being a form of collective violence, committed by larger groups towards individuals.[6] The term is frequently associated with, or credited to, feminist theory, who term it as a broader form of violence beyond use or threats of physical force, to include sexual, psychological and economic violence.[7] In Argentinian law, it is defined as a form of domestic violence.[8]

its a thing

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

A for instance:

Words are cool.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

A for instance:

LOL, do you know what violence is? That isn't violence. Maybe "gentrification related solicitation?" If you want to really stretch things, maybe use "harassment" instead of solicitation? Economic violence suggests people getting assaulted, possibly with weapons.

Anyway, I think it JC gentrification is awesome. If you don't like being scared of losing your rental, you should probably buy. No one has a right to stay in their rental at low prices forever, nor should they. Needless to say, I own a row home here.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Realtor?

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

I'd define economic violence as something you made up to feel smart.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

A for instance:

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What is economic violence?

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:29

Economic violence in JC ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Okay,

This is a biggie.

How do we stand on gentrification and development in Jersey City?

Are the long established residents being bum-rushed by the changes that they are so unprepared for and will the city lose its identity with the changes?

Posted on: 2016/9/29 12:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017