Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Parking Issues Around Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:

That was exactly my point.
Big carfree cities are not realistic. However, carfree neighborhood/area should be created and mass transportation infrastructure should be developed to decrease the reliance on cars.

Agree in full. The ped plaza (and before that, turning Newark Ave. into a fire road through Grove Plaza) is a good start on making the densest areas car-free, at least at some hours.

Neighborhood streets in Amsterdam and other cities in northern Europe, while they do allow cars, often have segments carved out of them that are totally car-free. These serve as short-cuts for bikes and peds. I would welcome that solution for, say, Downtown JC, rather than trying to make whole streets or neighborhoods completely car-free, at least in the near future.

But hey, if you can get my Hamilton Park neighborhood to be completely car-free, I ain't mad at ya!

Closing off the local streets adjacent to schools during school hours would be a great start.

I am sure you would have a small revolt on your hands if you the city tried to close off local streets around schools during school hours! Have you seen how some Cordero parents *love* to double park all over Erie to drop off their kids!? That street is a cluster*ck every morning in between the self-entitled dolts that leave their cars running while double parked (sometimes with their doors open!) and the useless crossing guards.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:

Big carfree cities are not realistic. However, carfree neighborhood/area should be created and mass transportation infrastructure should be developed to decrease the reliance on cars.

Agree in full. The ped plaza (and before that, turning Newark Ave. into a fire road through Grove Plaza) is a good start on making the densest areas car-free, at least at some hours.

Neighborhood streets in Amsterdam and other cities in northern Europe, while they do allow cars, often have segments carved out of them that are totally car-free. These serve as short-cuts for bikes and peds. I would welcome that solution for, say, Downtown JC, rather than trying to make whole streets or neighborhoods completely car-free, at least in the near future.

But hey, if you can get my Hamilton Park neighborhood to be completely car-free, I ain't mad at ya!

Closing off the local streets adjacent to schools during school hours would be a great start.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:

Posted on: 2016/9/23 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
The problem is JC has done nothing to amend the parking code, permit hours (should be extended), regulating cars parking long-term with improperly registered out of area plates (resident owned vehicles trying to skirt higher insurance rates), and enforcement. This can be fixed NOW without increasing actual parking space realty/building more garages and will greatly improve congestion for parking in many areas of the city. Let's fix what we already have, in concurrence with expanding biking, public transit and car share.

I agree with all of this. Except we don't have to INCREASE parking real estate/garages because the ones we have are not full. We need to do something to "incentivize" their use (and the ideas above including enforcement and extended permit hours will accomplish this, at least somewhat). The mall lot is 3/4 empty most of the time. Even garages around Grove St. are not full. I know this will set people off, but there is PLENTY of parking downtown - it's just not free on-street parking.

If you read what I wrote, I said WITHOUT INCREASING the amount of parking...

My bad, sorry for the mistake.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
The problem is JC has done nothing to amend the parking code, permit hours (should be extended), regulating cars parking long-term with improperly registered out of area plates (resident owned vehicles trying to skirt higher insurance rates), and enforcement. This can be fixed NOW without increasing actual parking space realty/building more garages and will greatly improve congestion for parking in many areas of the city. Let's fix what we already have, in concurrence with expanding biking, public transit and car share.

I agree with all of this. Except we don't have to INCREASE parking real estate/garages because the ones we have are not full. We need to do something to "incentivize" their use (and the ideas above including enforcement and extended permit hours will accomplish this, at least somewhat). The mall lot is 3/4 empty most of the time. Even garages around Grove St. are not full. I know this will set people off, but there is PLENTY of parking downtown - it's just not free on-street parking.

If you read what I wrote, I said WITHOUT INCREASING the amount of parking...

Posted on: 2016/9/23 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Has nobody ever asked the city why we can't implement something like Cars2Go or the car sharing thing Hoboken did?

http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/ ... tion-parking/corner-cars/

For whatever reason, there is a dearth of ZipCar lots in the city and this seems like something that could work out well for getting some people in the brownstone areas to ditch their cars. The only catch is that the city may have to commandeer street parking space for their use.

Uh, yes. I've mentioned Car sharing as part of the solution multiple times in this thread.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
My taxes go to the maintenance of the streets that is expected I would use for both parking and driving.

So do the taxes of people who don't have cars. Should they get a tax credit? How about people who park in lots, do they get a credit too?

What about the fire department? I have been fortunate enough not to need any firefighters lately, but I'm still funding them with my tax dollars. Should we make people whose homes catch on fire pay additional taxes?

Municipal taxes are not the same thing as private parking lot fees. They aren't transactional, and they don't guarantee that you get a parking spot.

Quote:
It's further expected that I would park my car in a reasonable proximity to the home I own and on which I pay my real estate taxes.

Not when you live in a dense urban environment. It's not like people who live in midtown Manhattan can insist that City Hall conjure parking spots out of thin air for the thousands of residents on a single block.

If you lived in the suburbs, your position would be eminently reasonable. However, you live in a city with a population density of 16,000 per square mile. Your demand is not reasonable; it's an expression of a (specific) sense of entitlement.

Quote:
to control parking the City of Jersey City, limits non-residence from parking to two hours, demonstrating the City's preference for residence parking over non-resident parking.

So what?

Parking isn't just an issue between 9AM and 5PM. Demand is high 24/7.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Has nobody ever asked the city why we can't implement something like Cars2Go or the car sharing thing Hoboken did?

For whatever reason, there is a dearth of ZipCar lots in the city and this seems like something that could work out well for getting some people in the brownstone areas to ditch their cars. The only catch is that the city may have to commandeer street parking space for their use.

I 1000% agree, and I suggested the same about Hoboken corner zip cars in a previous thread: http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=409477

My friends in Hoboken use it often.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2016/9/22 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
OK, any further comments about which European places are, or are not, completely car-free are dilatory strawmanning.

VERY few places in the world, mostly very small ones, are completely car-free. That's beside the point.

The point is that many cities and towns, large and small, treat cars as a tertiary mode, with bikes, walking, light rail, and other mass transit dominating. Amsterdam is the best big city, but others are also great. Driving laws and enforcement are tough. Separated bike paths abound on bigger arterial roads, while smaller residential streets are relentlessly traffic-calmed, with speed tables and bumpouts at every crosswalk, textured surfaces, deliberately narrow lanes, etc. So you can own a car, and you can drive, but you will drive slower and, within a neighborhood, probably make a couple more turns.

A typical two-way arterial boulevard in Amsterdam has one narrow lane in each direction for cars, a tram track in each direction with boarding islands, two wide cycle tracks a few feet away from the car lanes, and two sidewalks outside that. Many of those streets, 40 years ago, were four- or six-lane monstrosities catering solely to the car. They changed. We must too.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
You know, if people bought smaller cars, we'd have more available parking. There's a guy on my block with a Fiat that always finds a spot within a stones throw of his house.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Agree as well. Enforce it and the City makes money as well as taking non-permitted cars off the streets for long-term (including evening) parking. For the price of 3 tickets you've paid for monthly off-street parking. For residents with cars it boils down to whether you'd rather incur the economic cost of private parking OR the time/hassle cost of street parking with alternate-side rules. Pick you flavor...

Posted on: 2016/9/22 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2016/9/22 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
OK, any further comments about which European places are, or are not, completely car-free are dilatory strawmanning.

VERY few places in the world, mostly very small ones, are completely car-free. That's beside the point.

The point is that many cities and towns, large and small, treat cars as a tertiary mode, with bikes, walking, light rail, and other mass transit dominating. Amsterdam is the best big city, but others are also great. Driving laws and enforcement are tough. Separated bike paths abound on bigger arterial roads, while smaller residential streets are relentlessly traffic-calmed, with speed tables and bumpouts at every crosswalk, textured surfaces, deliberately narrow lanes, etc. So you can own a car, and you can drive, but you will drive slower and, within a neighborhood, probably make a couple more turns.

A typical two-way arterial boulevard in Amsterdam has one narrow lane in each direction for cars, a tram track in each direction with boarding islands, two wide cycle tracks a few feet away from the car lanes, and two sidewalks outside that. Many of those streets, 40 years ago, were four- or six-lane monstrosities catering solely to the car. They changed. We must too.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
You car people realize that in Europe there are entire cities that are car free? And they don't even have jet, fresh direct, blue apron, etc.
We should improve public transportation as well. Eventually people who don't absolutely need a car will find it's not worth it.

Could you list some of those cities (not villages) that are ENTIRELY car free?
I know many that have car free neighborhoods but none that care completely car free.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 19:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
You car people realize that in Europe there are entire cities that are car free? And they don't even have jet, fresh direct, blue apron, etc.
We should improve public transportation as well. Eventually people who don't absolutely need a car will find it's not worth it.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm fine with making the use of existing parking more effective, including Candice's efforts and what OneSkirt said. Those moves tend to help people who actually live and work here, and to meet the reasonable expectations people had when they moved in.

Just don't try making more of it. More parking spaces, more problems, ultimately. Especially for drivers.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Oh I'm up for that. And how about some actual enforcement of the parking laws? On my block alone there are at least 6 contractors and at least another 10 commuters who swoop in right after the sweeper goes by and they park there ALL day. No permits-

Posted on: 2016/9/22 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

The issue the OP has is that because permits in HP end at 5pm, and many new buildings have gone up with fee-based garages, a lot of newcomers are moving to these buildings and street parking their cars after 5 & all weekend instead of paying for the parking in their new shiny luxury building purely because they can due to the limit in permit hours. Just visit the streets around the Cast Iron Lofts - where cars NEVER parked on the street before the building went up. Guess what? Its full of cars now from new residents moving into the Cast Iron Lofts who came here with their cars, but refuse to park in the garage available to them.

Yes, Planning can continue to put lower parking to unit ratios on future construction, and they should. But make residents in buildings with garages USE THEM and not the street. You choose to move to a pricey new apt with a car, you can afford to pay to park it off street at your building.

Maybe a group of citizens can try to lobby Candice or someone else on the council to take up that 11pm bill again and organize a larger counter-group to push back on fat slob Yvonne and her crew when she shows up and cries racism because she won't have a guaranteed parking space for her 20 weekly trips to City Hall.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

The issue the OP has is that because permits in HP end at 5pm, and many new buildings have gone up with fee-based garages, a lot of newcomers are moving to these buildings and street parking their cars after 5 & all weekend instead of paying for the parking in their new shiny luxury building purely because they can due to the limit in permit hours. Just visit the streets around the Cast Iron Lofts - where cars NEVER parked on the street before the building went up. Guess what? Its full of cars now from new residents moving into the Cast Iron Lofts who came here with their cars, but refuse to park in the garage available to them.

Yes, Planning can continue to put lower parking to unit ratios on future construction, and they should. But make residents in buildings with garages USE THEM and not the street. You choose to move to a pricey new apt with a car, you can afford to pay to park it off street at your building.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
a point of correction on several preceding posts - there is NOT a 1:1 parking requirement on new downtown buildings. That would be ludicrous even if you do think that SOME parking is appropriate.

It varies based on where exactly we're talking about, but there is generally a MAX permitted, not a min. For reference, all of the zoning can be found on the city's website if you're curious about a particular lot.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
That's actually a very interesting proposition. Personally, I would prefer not to drive at all. I worked in Manhattan for 22 years after college. If I didn't absolutely have to have a car I wouldn't. I lived in my brownstone for the first three years without a car. Then circumstances changed and I absolutely had to have a car. Then, since I had a car I started using it more. I hate nothing more than sitting in traffic or even driving to work on a daily basis. The lack of parking only exacerbates my sentiments and frustration with the entire issue.

Let's accept that you can't live without a car. Then your focus should STILL be on reducing car ownership and driving by OTHERS who have more options. You don't do that by building more parking. You do it by enabling biking and walking with better street engineering and enforcement. By demanding better mass transit, etc.?even if you, personally, never use it.

I just got back from 10 days in the bike paradises of Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Guess what? There are still a lot of cars there. Some of them parked on streets or in little bays just off the streets. But there are so many other options, the cars and drivers aren't making EACH OTHER miserable.

In fact, just yesterday, the makers of the Waze driving app rated Amsterdam the best city in the world TO DRIVE IN. Just let that sink in for a second.

Driving and car ownership in cities is inherently very flawed, at best. And one of the worst things about it is OTHER CARS AND DRIVERS. Reduce those numbers, and even as a driver, you'll be happier.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
That's actually a very interesting proposition. Personally, I would prefer not to drive at all. I worked in Manhattan for 22 years after college. If I didn't absolutely have to have a car I wouldn't. I lived in my brownstone for the first three years without a car. Then circumstances changed and I absolutely had to have a car. Then, since I had a car I started using it more. I hate nothing more than sitting in traffic or even driving to work on a daily basis. The lack of parking only exacerbates my sentiments and frustration with the entire issue. Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Any drivers arguing for more parking to reduce competition for it, wherever and however cleverly it's obtained, are only hurting themselves.

Sure, there are ways to increase parking space in Hamilton Park and in JC. But there's NO way to increase DRIVING space. The latter is finite. And the former feeds it.

So when you make more room for car storage, you get more cars in storage. Guess what happens when you try to drive? Those cars come out of their brandy new garages and get right in front of you, and you sit in traffic.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Again, I disagree with you with regard to the expectation of street parking. It's expected that most constituents would use the roads for both driving and parking. Without that entitlement commerce would come to a grinding halt as would other commerce clause provisions. My taxes go to the maintenance of the streets that is expected I would use for both parking and driving. It's further expected that I would park my car in a reasonable proximity to the home I own and on which I pay my real estate taxes. Therefore, it's a reasonable expectation that I would be parking there. Furthermore, to control parking the City of Jersey City, limits non-residence from parking to two hours, demonstrating the City's preference for residence parking over non-resident parking. Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
[quote]

Also, I'd expect a CPA to understand that availability of street parking was not guaranteed as a result of paying property taxes, unless otherwise stated.

Again, you're making lots of assumptions and but your real estate tax bill does not state that it entitles you to street parking privileges.

Honestly, I expected more conscientiousness from a CPA.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Again, I disagree with you with regard to the expectation of street parking. It's expected that most constituents would use the roads for both driving and parking. Without that entitlement commerce would come to a grinding halt as would other commerce clause provisions. My taxes go to the maintenance of the streets that is expected I would use for both parking and driving. It's further expected that I would park my car in a reasonable proximity to the home I own and on which I pay my real estate taxes. Therefore, it's a reasonable expectation that I would be parking there. Furthermore, to control parking the City of Jersey City, limits non-residence from parking to two hours, demonstrating the City's preference for residence parking over non-resident parking. Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
[quote]

Unless you own a home with a deeded parking space, paying property taxes does not entitle you to anything other than continuing to own your home. If you don't pay them in full, a lien gets filed on your home. Look up the various municipal ordinances for Jersey City. There is nothing in the laws that indicate the timely payment of property taxes entitle you to park in the city. Hell, if you fell behind on your property taxes but continued to pay the annual permit fee, or were a renter, you could still have a parking permit and park on the streets wherever you could find it. Your car wouldn't be towed away because you didn't pay your property taxes. Property taxes are not related to that. Furthermore, while I'm sure laws and building codes have been passed regarding new residential buildings and parking issues associated with them, that still doesn't give you any entitlement to parking on the street. I will agree, parking has become a bigger hassle over the years, but given the fact this is a city and a lot of building was in progress when I moved in, I expected that to happen. I don't like having to pay for a garage space, but if it comes to that, I will. The city doesn't owe me a parking space, and I've always paid my property taxes in full.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Any drivers arguing for more parking to reduce competition for it, wherever and however cleverly it's obtained, are only hurting themselves.

Sure, there are ways to increase parking space in Hamilton Park and in JC. But there's NO way to increase DRIVING space. The latter is finite. And the former feeds it.

So when you make more room for car storage, you get more cars in storage. Guess what happens when you try to drive? Those cars come out of their brandy new garages and get right in front of you, and you sit in traffic.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
[quote]

Also, I'd expect a CPA to understand that availability of street parking was not guaranteed as a result of paying property taxes, unless otherwise stated.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Bill, I most certainly do. In fact, I have a BS in Business Administration with a Major in Accounting, a CPA, a law degree and a license to practice in two states. I fully understand supply and demand. However, that doesn't mean that every municipality has to fulfill every demand. There are quality of life issues, capacity issues, and other issues. Municipalities are not businesses selling widgets. Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

WOW, Sutherland I'm curious do you have any rudimentary education in economics? Specifically the supply and demand curve?

Municipalities don't have to fulfill every demand.. such as parking?

Posted on: 2016/9/22 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bill, I most certainly do. In fact, I have a BS in Business Administration with a Major in Accounting, a CPA, a law degree and a license to practice in two states. I fully understand supply and demand. However, that doesn't mean that every municipality has to fulfill every demand. There are quality of life issues, capacity issues, and other issues. Municipalities are not businesses selling widgets. Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

WOW, Sutherland I'm curious do you have any rudimentary education in economics? Specifically the supply and demand curve?

Posted on: 2016/9/22 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Another issue re parking is induced demand. The more parking is made available in buildings or in lots, the more people may believe that car ownership is viable in JC, the more likely they are to own or keep a car, and voila the excess capacity generated by adding parking is soaked up very quickly.

I concur with some of the posters above that the better solution is to improve other transport options, ranging from public transport to car sharing to better bicycle infrastructure -- some of which is already happening, with projects such as the HBLR and Citibike.

This sounds like a logical reasoning, but the facts show otherwise. Most parking decks downtown are only half full! Most surface lots do fill up with people who work here, but if you take a walk through the decks in most of the high rises in DTJC, you will soon find that most of them are mostly empty, or maybe half full. That's why all of them have to resort to ridiculously low rates for those commuting here. While I do think it is prudent to include parking in some developments, the requirement of 1:1 parking to unit ratio (as in the past) is completely unnecessary. Even 1:2 may be too much. For example, among the 10 units in my floor, only three of us keep cars, while the rest do without them. It seems to be a very similar ratio on other floors based on conversations I have had with other neighbors.

Except that if we did away with 1:1 parking, prices would increase dramatically. I would keep 1:1 parking requirements and let the garages entice people to park with low rates. If they're cheap enough then you'll have residents without their own garages that have the ability to acquire permits park in hi-rise garages because it is cheap enough to do so. This is exactly what I do. On the other hand, if we only built enough garage spaces to suit the number absolutely required by immediate residents, prices would start to become similar to NYC, or at the very least Hoboken.

With respect to the prior proposal to "do away with cars", that is nonsensical. Many of us will not live without a car. I had a car when I lived in Manhattan as well. I can't and won't live without a car for a number of reasons - job related commuting, the fact that I have a few large dogs that wouldn't be allowed on public transport, and so on. I don't understand the knee-jerk reaction that some people have that if you want a car you should be evicted to the suburbs. Sensible policies to require adequate garage spacing in new construction and appropriate metering of certain spots to allow for day parking addresses much of the issue.

No one reasonable is saying that we need to do away with cars.

But since you've given many reasons why you and others prefer to have a car, a parking space must be valuable to you. Therefore, it doesn't really make sense to provide much parking real estate for free. This should be monetized like any other service.

Free market, baby.

Agreed. Owning a car is a choice, and with it you have consequences in the form of added costs and inconveniences. I own a car, and park on the street. I understand that means certain risks (like scratches and bumps) and costs in the form of car payments and insurance. But, not owning a car is not really much of a choice for me, for similar reasons expressed by devilsadvocate: I have a large dog (universally banned from all forms of public transportation, except for the Liberty Landing Ferry!) and I also need to commute by car often enough. And, still, I don't think the city should require 1:1 parking. It's just not the best way to accommodate the parking needs of residents. And, from the perspective of urban living and needs, the ground level decks often prevent better use of sidewalks and storefronts. I will continue to own a car and motorcycles in DTJC and assume the risks, but I also understand the need to compromise a little for the sake of everyone.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 16:35

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017