Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/13 14:37
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

PDubs wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
So your complaint has changed from there being no places to watch American Football, to there being no places meeting your precise requirements at which to watch.

In addition to all the places previously listed, there is:
White Star (2 of them)
Hamilton Inn
Ninth and Coles
Keyhole
Healy's
Greene Hook
Light Horse
Markers
Chile's
Park and Ninth
Lisbon Two

As someone mentioned upthread, how many places can you name where you *can't* watch Giants games?

Robin.

You're missing my point. I want a sports bar that serves food, not a restaurant that serves liquor. Massive difference. JC really doesnt have that right now, so how is there not a need for it?

O'Hara's, Bright Side, PJ Ryans, White Star Bar, Hopscotch, 9th and Coles

Not to mention places like Iron Monkey and Skinner's that have decent bars downstairs. Just off the top of my head.

C'mon man.

How many of the places that you just listed are a good place to watch a game with a large group, in a central location, with access to multiple games being shown on a Sunday? After living in NYC for a long time, thats a sports bar to me. None of the places you mentioned would fit that mold (Hopscotch maybe, but I dont know anyone that intentionally goes there).

A lot of people complain about change, just to complain. I know I'm not alone in looking forward to a large sports bar with many TV's and several games on simultaneously. A lot of you would probably consider me a "bro" though, lol.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 15:04

Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

I'm pretty disgusted with what's happening in dtjc, as someone who's been here for 20 years.

"who's been [in DTJC]" or "who was in DTJC but isn't anymore"?

Posted on: 2016/8/8 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
A bumch of the bars y'all name don't have the Sunday Ticket -- all games -- which true football fans are looking for. I'm torn. I don't want a broboken bar, but i want ALL THE GAMES. Ugh.

Brightside does, I think.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
I think I was very clear in addressing that.

To me it felt like we had a pretty good handle on steering this thing somewhere that both old and new residents were into it. This feels like somebody else's interests are being served for a weekend shitshow that is going to serve suburban kids that come here to get wild on Saturday. That leaves us residents with basically a blank spot on our main street.

Whatever. It's all good.

Yep, and they still won't park in the d@mn parking garage. No, they'll street park and drive drunk, and has been escalating. With little enforcement.

But its not "all good" sadly. It says to me that the city doesn't really give a hoot about people who actually live here.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Indoor mini golf would kill!

I'd go broke.

1Republik won't be the end of the world, but like others said, it'll just be a pretty loud and blaring admission that we're doing this thing and there's no going back.
Talk all you want about gentrification and make it sound like, "well you knew this was going to happen!"
Well, kind of, but there's a lot of ways you can go about changing the landscape of a neighborhood. Surely there's a middle ground between cars on cinder blocks and dudes in salmon shorts puking in the middle of the street at 10pm.
A bar like Archer or a restaurant like Roman Nose or a retail store like Kannibal or Word is a great representation of where I thought we were headed and where I had hoped we were going to continue to head.

If given the choice, I would absolutely pick hanging out in a park full of junkies over walking down Washington St. on a weekend. Maybe I'm weird. I don't know, man.

I'm so with you on this. I'm pretty disgusted with what's happening in dtjc, as someone who's been here for 20 years. Everything I moved here for is disappearing quickly (and the better promise of where it should be going as you outline in bold above), and its not good. No more diversity - diversity of income, especially - is long gone in major parts of this town. An average person can no longer make it and thrive here unless they make 6 figures. F that noise.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I feel like most of the bars in Downtown Jersey City could be considered sports bars, and most are certainly bars to watch games at, as most have several or more TVs.

The fact that this individual owns 1Republik and Tonic East tells me that we can expect a similar vibe at this location -- lots of TVs, bros, and average bar food.

I suppose, but they are 'sports bars' in that they may put on the Giants/Jets with sound. I mean, you can watch sports there, and they are bars, but they aren't true sports bars, IMO.

College games? The big fight? Soccer games, a Yankee game with sound?

I expect this place to be all sorts of meh, but if it is meh where I can watch some of the sporting events which are harder to find in the current bars, I'm OK with that.

Of course I live a good way away from Newark ave, so it's easier for me to say that....

Posted on: 2016/8/8 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
A bumch of the bars y'all name don't have the Sunday Ticket -- all games -- which true football fans are looking for. I'm torn. I don't want a broboken bar, but i want ALL THE GAMES. Ugh.

I am pretty certain that O'Hara's has the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket subscription. They seemingly show every game being broadcasted, with local teams getting the projector screen treatment. They also seem to have become a bit of a Cowboys bar, with fans flocking there for those game.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 12:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/8 5:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I feel like most of the bars in Downtown Jersey City could be considered sports bars, and most are certainly bars to watch games at, as most have several or more TVs.

The fact that this individual owns 1Republik and Tonic East tells me that we can expect a similar vibe at this location -- lots of TVs, bros, and average bar food.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PDubs wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
So your complaint has changed from there being no places to watch American Football, to there being no places meeting your precise requirements at which to watch.

White Star (2 of them)
Hamilton Inn
Ninth and Coles
Keyhole
Healy's
Greene Hook
Light Horse
Markers
Chile's
Park and Ninth
Lisbon Two

As someone mentioned upthread, how many places can you name where you *can't* watch Giants games?

Robin.

You're missing my point. I want a sports bar that serves food, not a restaurant that serves liquor. Massive difference. JC really doesnt have that right now, so how is there not a need for it?

O'Hara's, Bright Side, PJ Ryans, White Star Bar, Hopscotch, 9th and Coles

Not to mention places like Iron Monkey and Skinner's that have decent bars downstairs. Just off the top of my head.

C'mon man.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 2:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:

White Star (2 of them)
Hamilton Inn
Ninth and Coles
Keyhole
Healy's
Greene Hook
Light Horse
Markers
Chile's
Park and Ninth
Lisbon Two

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
I think everybody here is hyperventilating a little bit. The same group that bought the other space owns 3 pretty successful bars, 1 Republik just happening to be one of them.

They seem to know what they're doing and we don't know what the concept will be. They'll of course do a study of demographics and what local tastes generally seem to be and cater accordingly. This (probably) does NOT mean loud music and bros are on the way, since even today, that's way out of step for JC. Let's wait and see what the concept is first before getting out the torches and pitchforks.

I would say that evidence points to the contrary. If you click through the original link you can get to an EV Grieve article about how they had to re-brand their East Village Bar Akuda (which was a PREMIER SPORTS GASTROPUB) into The Grayson within the first month.

Guess what The Grayson bills itself as... THE BEST SPORTS BAR IN THE EAST VILLAGE. Seems like some pretty sick market research.

Resized Image

And my favorite, with comment from EV Grieve

Resized Image

"Anonymous said...
Is there seriously a fucking "menu structure" outside? What is this, Six Flags?"

Posted on: 2016/8/7 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:

White Star (2 of them)
Hamilton Inn
Ninth and Coles
Keyhole
Healy's
Greene Hook
Light Horse
Markers
Chile's
Park and Ninth
Lisbon Two

Robin.

Also, Bright Side Tavern amongst others

Posted on: 2016/8/7 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

White Star (2 of them)
Hamilton Inn
Ninth and Coles
Keyhole
Healy's
Greene Hook
Light Horse
Markers
Chile's
Park and Ninth
Lisbon Two

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 22:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zimbu1234 wrote:
Look around. Plenty of options right now that no more are really needed.

Luckys
VB3
Hopscotch
Grove Square (coffee shop by the PATH)
PJ Ryan's

Not to mention the larger places with less TVs (Porta, Southhouse).

I also prefer something about more creative. A music hall, A food hall akin to Berg'n as someone mentioned (what carino provisions could have been), or a real BBQ by the pound place (what Hamilton pork should have been).

VB3? That's in Newport (not downtown, sorry) and it's a disaster. Worst service I've ever had. Seriously, ever. Grove Square has a major identity crisis (coffee shop and bar? Seriously?) and is terribly laid out. Luckys is tiny and disgusting. Hopscotch? I don't want to count pieces of flair while I'm watching football.

Agree with you on PJ's. That's one spot to watch a game, but even thats a challenge with a large party. I'm looking forward to One Republik. A bar like Ship of Fools on the UES would be ideal (sounds like what Monty's could be/could have been), but a true sports bar is exactly what Newark Ave needs. Talk about your vegan diets, neck tattoos and skinny jeans at the Archer or Pet Shop. I want wings and beer.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
[quote]
if it doesn't serve enough people in general, the bar will go away. Problem solved.

That's certainly true, but keep in mind that the high rents determine that only a profitable enough business model can take the space, and we know that these are inherently riskier propositions. Trendy bars and restaurants are expected to flame out rather quickly, the ones that don't are exceptions. It's not unlike the risks of a Broadway show.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:

To me it felt like we had a pretty good handle on steering this thing somewhere that both old and new residents were into it. This feels like somebody else's interests are being served for a weekend shitshow that is going to serve suburban kids that come here to get wild on Saturday. That leaves us residents with basically a blank spot on our main street.

Whatever. It's all good.

We? The nightlife has always been driven by the business owners who put up the necessary capital and take on the risk of it failing.

Sorry that this one space doesn't serve your interests, but that's not how it works anyways. And if it doesn't serve enough people in general, the bar will go away. Problem solved.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
They seem to know what they're doing and we don't know what the concept will be. They'll of course do a study of demographics and what local tastes generally seem to be and cater accordingly. This (probably) does NOT mean loud music and bros are on the way, since even today, that's way out of step for JC. Let's wait and see what the concept is first before getting out the torches and pitchforks.

The flaw with your reasoning is that they'll be targeting DTJC residents at all. Hoboken and DTJC are both now destinations. Look at Hoboken, the age of it's avg resident has gone up quite a bit, but the bars are still full of 20 somethings from out of town. The late unlamented Music Box on 7th, far from the beaten path, had a clientele entirely from out of the neighborhood.

ditto The Goldhawk, on 10th & Park, in the grownup section of Hoboken. I knew I could walk in there on any night, and see familiar faces from the neighborhood (and hear mostly-great music).

it's gone now, of course.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:

The flaw with your reasoning is that they'll be targeting DTJC residents at all. Hoboken and DTJC are both now destinations. Look at Hoboken, the age of it's avg resident has gone up quite a bit, but the bars are still full of 20 somethings from out of town. The late unlamented Music Box on 7th, far from the beaten path, had a clientele entirely from out of the neighborhood.

That is true, but it's also a risky bet on the part of the owner's that they'll be able to pull in a demographic much different than what's already here. We can assume they're paying a ton in rent, not to mention the cost of a buildout, new equipment, etc. With that much outlay, I'm just guessing they'd rather not take a risk on something out of sync with the local market and will go for something they know would do well and appeal to a wide range of people.

Having a stream of out of town bros come in on a Friday and Saturday night won't be enough revenue to keep a place that large afloat if it's not appealing enough for local residents on weekdays.

Just my observation is that JC is attracting more the Brooklyn hipster crowd than finance bro types. I would expect to start seeing a much larger influx now that the details of the L train shutdown are being made official and I would assume they're going to bake these changes into whatever concept they come up with.

Notice though, I say "guess" and "assume" a lot, so I could wind up being completely wrong and we get a douche hellhole :)

Posted on: 2016/8/7 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/7 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
I think everybody here is hyperventilating a little bit. The same group that bought the other space owns 3 pretty successful bars, 1 Republik just happening to be one of them.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I've always thought Jersey City was a great football watching town.

Lucky's is awesome. There's a crew of regulars that makes every game interesting.
PJ Ryan's and O'Hara's both have great food, good beer selections, and every game on.
Hopscotch the same. If you want a quieter vibe, head to Barcade. They'll put your game on if you ask.
Big spots like Porta, South House, and Zepplin Hall also have games on.

Honestly, it's harder for me to find a spot to get away from football usually.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 14:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/8 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Look around. Plenty of options right now that no more are really needed.

Luckys
VB3
Hopscotch
Grove Square (coffee shop by the PATH)
PJ Ryan's

Not to mention the larger places with less TVs (Porta, Southhouse).

I also prefer something about more creative. A music hall, A food hall akin to Berg'n as someone mentioned (what carino provisions could have been), or a real BBQ by the pound place (what Hamilton pork should have been).

Posted on: 2016/8/7 13:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErieStreet4Life wrote:
The neighborhood has made it pretty clear that most new bars are catering to real lowest common denominator types. There's still no music venue (Yes, I know about Monty Hall) really downtown. Do we need another major establishment with 30,000 tv screens and women in tank tops? I say the neighborhood does not.

Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
This is really lame. That end of Newark Ave is becoming pretty shameful. It brings the exact element seen in Hoboken. It's not a good element.

BTW, why is Republik spelled with a K like that?

Oh come on. That store is gigantic, what else could it really be than a big sports bar/lounge thingy? JC can support places like that *as well as* places like Pet Shop and The Archer.

Agreed it is an unruly space. But why not give me something to do other than sit down and eat shitty bar food while watching a game. Something like the Royal Palms Shuffleboard Club in Gowanus would be packed 7 nights a week.

Or segment/sublease the space and turn it into a food court like Berg'n that allows up-and-coming restaurants a shot at some space without the huge overhead.

Disagree with your take 100%. Where is another bar where you can go and watch a Giants game on Sunday downtown? Please tell me, because I haven't found one.

Not every bar has to try to be like Williamsburg, embracing candlelit discussions about emo music. Look at the pictures of people on the Pet Shop website. If that's what Jersey City is turning into, I'm scared.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users

Whatever. It's all good.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

If given the choice, I would absolutely pick hanging out in a park full of junkies over walking down Washington St. on a weekend. Maybe I'm weird. I don't know, man.

Well, I don't like Broboken types either but you're being really impractical if you think the only two choices are junkies or a Hobokenish mega bar. DTJC real estate is red hot and that space was bound to go towards something profitable.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Indoor mini golf would kill!

I'd go broke.

1Republik won't be the end of the world, but like others said, it'll just be a pretty loud and blaring admission that we're doing this thing and there's no going back.
Talk all you want about gentrification and make it sound like, "well you knew this was going to happen!"
Well, kind of, but there's a lot of ways you can go about changing the landscape of a neighborhood. Surely there's a middle ground between cars on cinder blocks and dudes in salmon shorts puking in the middle of the street at 10pm.
A bar like Archer or a restaurant like Roman Nose or a retail store like Kannibal or Word is a great representation of where I thought we were headed and where I had hoped we were going to continue to head.

Posted on: 2016/8/7 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
it would be great if they could incorporate a bowling alley or mini golf course within the development.

Posted on: 2016/8/6 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
This is really lame. That end of Newark Ave is becoming pretty shameful. It brings the exact element seen in Hoboken. It's not a good element.

BTW, why is Republik spelled with a K like that?

Oh come on. That store is gigantic, what else could it really be than a big sports bar/lounge thingy? JC can support places like that *as well as* places like Pet Shop and The Archer.

I agree that the size of the pace is problematic, but why does it have to be a bar? I can think of some solutions:

1. Divide the space up into several storefronts.
2. Food halls are all the rage, and immensely popular
3. Large single restaurant

These "mega bars" especially ones with a thousand TVs, attract one type of person, and it's a pretty annoying type of person, I'm sorry.

As somebody said, it's the lowest common denominator. I thought for all these years that Jersey City would take learnings from Hoboken's "night life" and do things to prevent that, but it's happening (already happened, even).

I don't want to make a big deal out of it, or sound overly negative, but it's just kind of depressing, haha.

aw man a food court would be incredible. that one in Hells Kitchen, way over close to the Intrepid, is a surprisingly pleasant destination.

a pool hall, shuffleboard court, bowling alley, ping pong tables, live music....really ANYTHING would be a great fit in that space and the neighborhood.

but no. let's line up another bro bar, please.

Posted on: 2016/8/6 10:48

Edited by I_heart_JC on 2016/8/6 11:05:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

ErieStreet4Life wrote:
You are legit buggin.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
A crappy eyesore is being shut down and some of you are complaining?

Might want to walk outside and get a better perspective on things, lol. This is only good news for that street.

I have a feeling you are a new arrival. It's far better and safer to dodge "Jersey bros" than it was to navigate the "urban element" that persisted there until recently. Just the truth.

That stretch is already overrun with popped collars lining up behind a rope to get into Porta, so I don't see what difference another one of these places makes. I wouldn't drink there, but I'd say it will be an improvement over Rainbow.

And for the luddites, you've still got National Discount, CH Martin, Sleep Cheap, Fabco Shoes, Super Discount, Jemma Loans and all the other old shitty stores still there for you to bizarrely revere as representing some sort of golden age that once existed in this town, but of course never patronize.

If you're the kind of person who will be sad the day 99 Cent Dreams closes shop, I suggest you try The Heights. It's still 1981 on Central Ave.

Clearly YOU never shopped there or else you would see how many other people are actually in there. And you left out my favorite, Hollywood Fried Chicken. Omg, give me HFC over overpriced bar food any day.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 21:16

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017