Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Underground Passageway linking PATH to Fulton Center Opens Today (May 26, 2016)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I think a mere sign on the wall would suffice.

How the hell would anyone know to follow the signs for the R train?

Posted on: 2016/7/3 18:18

Re: Underground Passageway linking PATH to Fulton Center Opens Today (May 26, 2016)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/3 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Coming back downtown on the 4 or 5, it's very confusing to try to find connection to Path without going upstairs and outside.

Why isn't everything just simply and directly connected to Fulton? So many escalators, stairs, and unnecessarily confusing passageways.

it's very easy, at least to me. there is a tunnel off to the side. follow the signs to the r train. that is the tunnel you want. dunno what to tell you, buddy, but if you think you're building underground tunnels in 2015/16 in downtown manhattan that are 100% directly connected to everywhere, i got a bridge to sell you.

Posted on: 2016/7/3 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Coming back downtown on the 4 or 5, it's very confusing to try to find connection to Path without going upstairs and outside.

Why isn't everything just simply and directly connected to Fulton? So many escalators, stairs, and unnecessarily confusing passageways.

And the repetitive automated escalator announcements on the platform when you're waiting there for 30 minutes... W...T...F.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Well, the E train is one level below street level.

So, it will be:

... walk up stairs, walk, ride escalator, walk up stairs ...

Posted on: 2016/7/2 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
When will the passage to Chambers Street station open??!

The closest MTA line you still have to walk up stairs, walk, ride escalator, walk up stairs, escalator, walk outside, walk down stairs to get to F'ing E train. Killing me.

The original station - walked right in to E train and A&C..

Posted on: 2016/7/2 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

You can, actually - I do it all the time. Walk through the atrium, take the steps at the east end up, go through the glass doors to connecting passage with the odd pod-shaped retail kiosks through what looks like another exit. Stay to the right, there is an escalator that takes you up into the Corbin Building; take a right onto John Street, or a left into the Fulton Street hub and you'll end up on Broadway and John.

It's a pleasant walk - I especially appreciate bypassing the traffic Armageddon that is Broadway and Park Place/Centre Street in the morning. It is atrociously laid out though - you go through several zones which look like the end, there is very little directional signage. The return trip you have to do entirely on instinct - there is NO signage for the WTC transportation center or the PATH until you are actually in the atrium, and you need to walk through the Fulton Street transit center back to John Street to take the escalator down, otherwise you can only get to the subway platforms, not the connecting platform.

Got it. Thank you. When I took a look last week, everything was monochromatic and a blur. All I saw was turnstiles and what looked like bars. I went there today and the bars were probably the wall panels on the right side. It was an optical illusion. Another stupid design.

From the Fulton Center, you have to go to the lowest level, below the uptown train. Look for Downtown and Brooklyn.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Haven't been in since the new closing the other day, but the connection to Fulton is very easy. When you exit the train, take the escalators up. Go out to the side under the giant whale carcass. Walk straight ahead through the carcass bones, up the stairs and out the doors in front of you - you are now in the tunnel that takes you to Fulton St.

On your right, you'll see the Cortlandt St R train. Ahead of you is Fulton St.

The trip from JC is pleasant enough, the whale carcass bright and well lit - like being in a cartoon version of Jonah and the Whale. Going home is creepier, when you go down the stairs from the whale carcass to the giant rib cage pressing down on the PATH platforms - I am so reminded of the giant, malevolent skeletons from "Pitch Black"!

Posted on: 2016/6/30 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
I was hoping that I can walk to the Fulton Center(Broadway and Fulton St) without paying. It is disappointing that I cannot. It would have been useful in bad weather.

You can, actually - I do it all the time. Walk through the atrium, take the steps at the east end up, go through the glass doors to connecting passage with the odd pod-shaped retail kiosks through what looks like another exit. Stay to the right, there is an escalator that takes you up into the Corbin Building; take a right onto John Street, or a left into the Fulton Street hub and you'll end up on Broadway and John.

It's a pleasant walk - I especially appreciate bypassing the traffic Armageddon that is Broadway and Park Place/Centre Street in the morning. It is atrociously laid out though - you go through several zones which look like the end, there is very little directional signage. The return trip you have to do entirely on instinct - there is NO signage for the WTC transportation center or the PATH until you are actually in the atrium, and you need to walk through the Fulton Street transit center back to John Street to take the escalator down, otherwise you can only get to the subway platforms, not the connecting platform.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Was in lower Manhattan yesterday and took the path to WTC and I too was confused how to get to street level. The old layout, was simple and straight forward. It looks like the PA told Westfield to come up with the exit and they decided the easiest way to street level, is to go in front of all their stores.

That was my take, too. It's like a maze deigned to get people to walk past all the stores rather than simple egress. Shame on the Port Authority and that ridiculous whale carcass.

They spent a lot of money making it column free, but then decide to put columns in the middle of the PATH platform and stairs. This is just so badly designed.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The big hub? Where the 4,5, etc trains are? Yes you can. On the ground floor level, just past the moleskin store, is an entrance to that passageway

Posted on: 2016/6/30 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Was in lower Manhattan yesterday and took the path to WTC and I too was confused how to get to street level. The old layout, was simple and straight forward. It looks like the PA told Westfield to come up with the exit and they decided the easiest way to street level, is to go in front of all their stores.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I was hoping that I can walk to the Fulton Center(Broadway and Fulton St) without paying. It is disappointing that I cannot. It would have been useful in bad weather.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Anyway, is there some sort of guide or map as to the exits and connections?

Yes. I got one from a PANY employee at the station. However, I found it too confusing.

I used it for the first time today and it was very easy. Just follow the signs for the new Vesey Street exit.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 14:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/30 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Haven't been in since the new closing the other day, but the connection to Fulton is very easy. When you exit the train, take the escalators up. Go out to the side under the giant whale carcass. Walk straight ahead through the carcass bones, up the stairs and out the doors in front of you - you are now in the tunnel that takes you to Fulton St.

On your right, you'll see the Cortlandt St R train. Ahead of you is Fulton St.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Yes. I got one from a PANY employee at the station. However, I found it too confusing.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The new WTC terminal confuses the heck out of me, from the beginning of the experience (platform/escalator setup) to the exits and where they place you. And I can't find out how to connect to the Fulton Station underground.

So frustrating! It's just really not user friendly. I wonder if anybody can possibly be pleased with this expensive mistake.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Tear it all down and start over. What a mess! Whoever designed the exits should never work again.

Everybody needs to complain and make a big fuss about this.

Reopen the temporary exit at Vesey! The new exits are a failure!

Posted on: 2016/6/30 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
How did the fish bone pass the common sense test, let alone ADA?

To get from platform to Vesey St:

1.Escalator
2.Stairs
3.Long walk
4.Escalator
5.Stairs
6.Escalator

The old World Trade Center layout made more sense.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
It worked great.... well lighted and marked. It will be great to avoid bad weather.The Fulton Platform for A/C trains can get crowded during rush hour / service slowdowns. It will be nice to keep Chambers as an option.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I have yet to find a map of this, so I guess I'll have to explore in person, but I can't see how walking east underground to Fulton Station is closer/faster than just going aboveground to the 1,2,A,C and particularly the E (unless you are going to Brooklyn). I'm not criticizing the tunnel, just wondering if it's at all a shortcut rather than just a way to avoid going outside?

If you count the time it takes to walk above ground, wait at intersections on Cortlandt, walk back down through Fulton to get to the subway platform, it absolutely is. Not to mention how nice it'll be when it's raining. I've been waiting months for this.

You can avoid all intersections by waking east on vacated Vesey and entering at Church.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:

I believe they are planning direct connections to the 1/E/R. Those parts are very behind schedule, mostly because there was a big dispute between PA and MTA as to who would actually pay and do the work, which lasted years. Turns out MTA is responsible for the buildout and construction, so it's on them as to when those things will open up.

They are, and remember that the WTC E station is connected underground to the Park Place A/C/2/3. When that opens, it will assuredly be faster and easier than going above ground.

Yes, you're both right. My bad. You can see how the entrances to both lines will be incorporated into the south Oculus corridor that is already open if you click the video on this page:

Just walked through after work - there is a direct connection to the R, right after you walk through the doors to the passage to Fulton.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 23:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I have yet to find a map of this, so I guess I'll have to explore in person, but I can't see how walking east underground to Fulton Station is closer/faster than just going aboveground to the 1,2,A,C and particularly the E (unless you are going to Brooklyn). I'm not criticizing the tunnel, just wondering if it's at all a shortcut rather than just a way to avoid going outside?

If you count the time it takes to walk above ground, wait at intersections on Cortlandt, walk back down through Fulton to get to the subway platform, it absolutely is. Not to mention how nice it'll be when it's raining. I've been waiting months for this.

its also a big deal if you are disabled.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

up the stairs
through the hordes of tourists and commuters
across the street
down more stairs

this will definitely save time.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:

I believe they are planning direct connections to the 1/E/R. Those parts are very behind schedule, mostly because there was a big dispute between PA and MTA as to who would actually pay and do the work, which lasted years. Turns out MTA is responsible for the buildout and construction, so it's on them as to when those things will open up.

They are, and remember that the WTC E station is connected underground to the Park Place A/C/2/3. When that opens, it will assuredly be faster and easier than going above ground.

Yes, you're both right. My bad. You can see how the entrances to both lines will be incorporated into the south Oculus corridor that is already open if you click the video on this page:

Posted on: 2016/5/26 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/26 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

I think you're right. In the case of the E, I believe that there will be a direct underground connection from the corridor running north away from the Oculus that should deliver you to the E train platforms without having to go up to street level and back down into the subway again.

But in the case of the 2,3 and the A,C it will still be faster to go up to street level and enter the 2,3 at Park Place and the A,C at Chambers Street than schlepping all the way through the warren of tunnels to get to access those lines at Fulton Street.

The 2,3 Fulton Street platforms in particular are a looong walk from the WTC PATH platforms, since they are located under William Street which is five avenue blocks distant. Park Place is much closer. A,C are only one block closer, located under Nassau Street.

Here's another thing that grates: the 1 train at Cortlandt Street runs right through the ceiling of the Hub, but there will be no way to access the station from underground. You'll have to go up to the Memorial plaza and then go back down into the 1 train station. I also believe the same is true of the R at Cortlandt Street.

For $4bn you would have hoped they could have engineered a below ground transfer to those two lines that are literally on top of the new hub. But, you know, PANYNJ.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

I think you're right. In the case of the E, I believe that there will be a direct underground connection from the corridor running north away from the Oculus that should deliver you to the E train platforms without having to go up to street level and back down into the subway again.

But in the case of the 2,3 and the A,C it will still be faster to go up to street level and enter the 2,3 at Park Place and the A,C at Chambers Street than schlepping all the way through the warren of tunnels to get to access those lines at Fulton Street.

The 2,3 Fulton Street platforms in particular are a looong walk from the WTC PATH platforms, since they are located under William Street which is five avenue blocks distant. Park Place is much closer. A,C are only one block closer, located under Nassau Street.

Here's another thing that grates: the 1 train at Cortlandt Street runs right through the ceiling of the Hub, but there will be no way to access the station from underground. You'll have to go up to the Memorial plaza and then go back down into the 1 train station. I also believe the same is true of the R at Cortlandt Street.

For $4bn you would have hoped they could have engineered a below ground transfer to those two lines that are literally on top of the new hub. But, you know, PANYNJ.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/26 16:05

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017