Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Closest non-car method to get to the beach?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Here is a video that I personally love. This just went viral on social media, its the "GHETTO" beach as some of you pretentious wipes like to call it Asbury Park

Watch here

Love watching the video. Thanks for posting.

Posted on: 2016/6/25 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Express trains and buses to the Jersey Shore start this weekend

By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on June 23, 2016 at 11:43 AM, updated June 23, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Want to skip traffic jams to and from the Jersey Shore? NJ Transit's summer bus and train services start rolling this weekend.

This Saturday, the No. 316 bus from Philadelphia and Camden to Wildwood and Cape May begins operation. The route also adds a stop at the Gloucester Premium Outlets in Blackwood. Buses also are operating from North Jersey to Island Beach State Park and Seaside.

On Sunday, enhanced weekend and summer holiday service on the North Jersey Coast Line returns with four express trains operating between Penn Station New York and Bay Head, cutting 25 minutes from the trip.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... e_start_this_weekend.html

Posted on: 2016/6/25 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a video that I personally love. This just went viral on social media, its the "GHETTO" beach as some of you pretentious wipes like to call it Asbury Park

Watch here

Posted on: 2016/6/25 11:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the advice here refers to the Jersey beaches, but there are other options as well, within similar distance or closer.

There is direct LIRR train service to Long Beach in LI; it's about 50 minutes from Penn Station.

Subway to Coney Island is just under an hour.

There are ferries from Pier 11 and bus shuttles to and from places like Rockaway Beach; the Riis Park Beach Bazaar looks pretty cool: http://riisparkbeachbazaar.com/

Posted on: 2016/6/24 4:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
I would pay to see a live performance of QUERTY's posts.

On topic, the NJ Transit line is slow but will get you within striking distance of the beach, especially in Bayhead.

Pro tip:
For driving to the beach on summer weekends, use the Wonder Bagel Line Principle (personally researched). The longer the line is out the door of Wonder Bagel on a Saturday morning, the worse traffic will be on the Garden State Parkway. Never fails.

Posted on: 2016/6/24 3:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/12 13:34
Group:
Banned
Sometimes fast way not best way. Take slow boat. Or can swim. Always consider other option. Choice is freedom.

Posted on: 2016/6/23 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to Sandy Hook three times this summer, the water was no different than the four times I've been to Manasquan. And the Seastreak bus gets you on the beach in Sandy Hook for free-it's normally $15/car. Most beaches charge $5-10 for a daily badge.

Posted on: 2016/6/23 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have taken Uber to Asbury many times its about 60 bucks, and if you go with 4 friends its only $15 :) good luck!

Is that round trip or $60 each way ?

Each way!

Posted on: 2016/6/23 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Dear I heart JC-

Thanks for the brotherly correction....

True I have not spent a lot of time there of late but my description still seems relatively accurate. Even if the beach front is entirely gentrified now, that still leaves the large ghetto west of the train tracks. Btw, I did not really mean my comments as a criciticsm, merely a description. I do know Asbury fairly well. I grew up in Manasquan, went to Convention Hall with my grammar school in th 1970s, the Stone Pony to hear "the Boss" in the late 80s, and lived in Ocean Grove in 1993. That 's a while back I know but I usually go to dinner there once a summer. Last time I was there was about a year ago. It still struck me as "on the verge" along the ocean and then everything west of the train tracks except for the Italian neighborhood bordering Allendale to still pretty downtrodden. Btw, I did not really think I was being negative about the place, just descriptive. And yes, it is a lot like Jersey City at the shore. And Jersey City is sort of a ghetto with a hiptster/gay downtown- except that we have all the finance people and Indians and Arabs etc. Personally, I enjoy going to places that are rather different than where I live for a change of pace.
There is also endemic political corruption in City Hall at Asbury Park which also makes it like JC!

Btw, I do love Jersey City.

Yours,

Mao

Posted on: 2016/6/23 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Especially Gunderson....????

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I know the original poster wanted to avoid going to NYC, but SeaStreak does run a ferry to Sandy Hook, with free bus service to the beaches from the ferry. And wifi and a cash bar. Crossing the Hudson might add a few minutes, but overall it's probably the fastest way to a decent beach.

http://seastreak.com/daytrips-and-getaways/sandy-hook-beach/

Posted on: 2016/6/23 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BeatrixKiddo wrote:

Aren't you a peach. You Cleary have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Crumbling Ghetto, you need to get out more or do some research.

Quote:

Asbury Park/Ocean Grove: crumbling ghetto on the Atlantic ever on the brink of gentrification now full of gays and hipsters.

Asbury is the downtown Jersey City of the Jersey Shore. if you haven't bought there already, you're out of luck.

Posted on: 2016/6/23 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
While Sandy Hook is nice and untouched and the ferry gets you there, it always seems to me like one is swimming in NY harbor. The water is kind of gross. I would brave the North Jersey Coast line. There are beach deals too.

Beach Packages
Don't worry about gas, tolls, traffic and parking when you can enjoy your trip to the shore on an NJ TRANSIT train or bus. From May 28 through September 5, save up to $5 with beach packages from any rail station, excluding Atlantic City Line stations. The cost of the package includes regularly priced round-trip tickets plus $3.50 for beach access at Asbury Park, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Long Branch or Ocean Grove.

NJ Transit stops like every mile after Long Branch. There is a nice public beach in Long Branch (Five Presidents?). Not sure how much the cab is from the train. There used to be express trains that would go almost non stop from Newark to Long Branch. After Long Branch favorite stops include:

Allendale- sleepy town

Asbury Park/Ocean Grove: crumbling ghetto on the Atlantic ever on the brink of gentrification now full of gays and hipsters. Ocean Grove is the same except with charming Victorian houses and still a pulsing vibe of 19th century style Methodism. Btw, Ocean Grove has free changing rooms with outdoor showers! This is key as many of the other towns have signs that glare: WARNING! Disrobing in this restroom is a crime punishable by death! (this is to keep the local bath house businesses afloat.

Bradley Beach: Compact town with nice beach and great restaurants

Avon: nice beach, beautiful homes. Salt water pool but for residents only.

Belmar: north part of beach is a drop beach (gets deep right away so no good for kids or body surfing). There is a "spring break" aspect to parts of the town.

Spring Lake/Sea Girt - formerly known as the "Irish Riviera," nice beaches, a little up tight, expensive estate style homes, cool WPA pavilions with salt water pools (but pools for residents only I think)

Manasquan: Something for everyone. Really nice beach

Pt. Pleasant: a true sense of Jersey. Great boardwalk for kids. The beach is also a drop off beach with no sand bar. Annoyingly, it is broken up into like ten privately owned beaches and you have to buy a badge for each one. Jenkinsons' has a salt water pool (or used to)

Bay Head: end of the line. Where one ends up if one falls asleep. Nice beaches. Limited commercial stuff. Shingled houses WASP ambiance. Train terminated here reportedly in mid 19th century because rail road executives had summer homes. Note that because the train stops so often, it is nearly an hour from Long Branch to Bayhead, though only about 25 miles probably.

Most of the stations on the NJT line are about a 15 min walk to the beach.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Asbury+Park,+NJ+07712/@40.2224444,-74.0160274,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c22e9f0c4bcc91:0x94ed22d8c8af72f0!8m2!3d40.2203907!4d-74.0120817

Posted on: 2016/6/23 14:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 13:47
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks very much. I will check out the daytrippers site!

Posted on: 2016/6/23 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
While Sandy Hook is nice and untouched and the ferry gets you there, it always seems to me like one is swimming in NY harbor. The water is kind of gross. I would brave the North Jersey Coast line. There are beach deals too.

Beach Packages
Don't worry about gas, tolls, traffic and parking when you can enjoy your trip to the shore on an NJ TRANSIT train or bus. From May 28 through September 5, save up to $5 with beach packages from any rail station, excluding Atlantic City Line stations. The cost of the package includes regularly priced round-trip tickets plus $3.50 for beach access at Asbury Park, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Long Branch or Ocean Grove.

NJ Transit stops like every mile after Long Branch. There is a nice public beach in Long Branch (Five Presidents?). Not sure how much the cab is from the train. There used to be express trains that would go almost non stop from Newark to Long Branch. After Long Branch favorite stops include:

Allendale- sleepy town

Asbury Park/Ocean Grove: crumbling ghetto on the Atlantic ever on the brink of gentrification now full of gays and hipsters. Ocean Grove is the same except with charming Victorian houses and still a pulsing vibe of 19th century style Methodism. Btw, Ocean Grove has free changing rooms with outdoor showers! This is key as many of the other towns have signs that glare: WARNING! Disrobing in this restroom is a crime punishable by death! (this is to keep the local bath house businesses afloat.

Bradley Beach: Compact town with nice beach and great restaurants

Avon: nice beach, beautiful homes. Salt water pool but for residents only.

Belmar: north part of beach is a drop beach (gets deep right away so no good for kids or body surfing). There is a "spring break" aspect to parts of the town.

Spring Lake/Sea Girt - formerly known as the "Irish Riviera," nice beaches, a little up tight, expensive estate style homes, cool WPA pavilions with salt water pools (but pools for residents only I think)

Manasquan: Something for everyone. Really nice beach

Pt. Pleasant: a true sense of Jersey. Great boardwalk for kids. The beach is also a drop off beach with no sand bar. Annoyingly, it is broken up into like ten privately owned beaches and you have to buy a badge for each one. Jenkinsons' has a salt water pool (or used to)

Bay Head: end of the line. Where one ends up if one falls asleep. Nice beaches. Limited commercial stuff. Shingled houses WASP ambiance. Train terminated here reportedly in mid 19th century because rail road executives had summer homes. Note that because the train stops so often, it is nearly an hour from Long Branch to Bayhead, though only about 25 miles probably.

Posted on: 2016/6/23 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Haven't tried this yet, but it looks pretty cool and goes to Asbury Park http://www.jcdaytrippers.com/

Posted on: 2016/6/23 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
OP you can take the PATH to Newark Penn station then take the NJT Northeast Corridor Long Branch line to Asbury Park. I think it will also stop in Spring Lake.

Posted on: 2016/6/22 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know the original poster wanted to avoid going to NYC, but SeaStreak does run a ferry to Sandy Hook, with free bus service to the beaches from the ferry. And wifi and a cash bar. Crossing the Hudson might add a few minutes, but overall it's probably the fastest way to a decent beach.

http://seastreak.com/daytrips-and-getaways/sandy-hook-beach/

Posted on: 2016/6/22 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have taken Uber to Asbury many times its about 60 bucks, and if you go with 4 friends its only $15 :) good luck!

Is that round trip or $60 each way ?

Posted on: 2016/6/22 23:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bluehorse wrote:
Quote:

Anyone used this before? What's the vibe? I was wondering if it's family friendly. Thanks.

I can't say, I've never taken it. I've never been in a school type bus that had decent A/C however . . . if that's a concern.

Posted on: 2016/6/22 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/22 23:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Anyone used this before? What's the vibe? I was wondering if it's family friendly. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/6/22 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/22 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
New York Water Way Pier 11 has boats that take day trips... pretty easy and avoids the traffic. Train is another option. Amazing how close to some beaches it stops.

Posted on: 2016/6/22 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/22 22:09

Closest non-car method to get to the beach?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 13:47
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, does anyone have any good suggestions on getting to the beach without a car? I was looking to see if there were any ferry options to the jersey shore directly from jersey city on the weekends but am having no luck. Would love to bypass the city if possible. thanks!

Posted on: 2016/6/22 21:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017