Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Dangerous Driving, No Police Enforcement, Threat to Pedestrians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
What's a "Turn Signal Stealer"? Is it when traffic has a green turn signal and pedestrians cross anyway?

You win a kewpie doll! A lot of left turn lights are damn short anyway, and between the pedestrians jaywalking and the moron drivers who won't even move till the car in front of them is fully through the light, you can sit there for ages.

TheJSQuare: it's interesting that that's the one intersection they like to stake out. Is it really 3 seconds for a stop? I thought it was just come to a complete stop. I know that R on Red you need to stop for the prescribed period, got nailed by the cams, but would rather have cams than the ridiculous light runners and gridlock.

at that corner by Five Guys / Hopscotch, the left turn signal is accompanied by a walk signal that puts pedestrians straight into the path of turning traffic.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I watched 6 cars go through the Stop sign on Jersey at York this morning.

a cop stationed at First & Erie would make his monthly ticket quota in an hour.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 19:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am happy that they started enforcing that stop sign on Grove and 9th. I cross that intersection at least 2X a day and cars were literally rolling on right through and not letting me cross.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if you can call the stop at York/Jersey "new." My memory is hazy but I think it's been there for at least a year now.

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

I've been guilty of missing new stop signs like this, until the road gets marked. Even then - it's easy to appreciate that new stop signs just don't register with drivers that frequently drive a route.

Spending a little money on beacons or blinking leds on the new stop signs would be worth it.

http://www.coralsales.com/images/imag ... 20Sign%20Beacon_large.jpg
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/ ... ds/blinking-stop-sign.jpg

[/quote]

Posted on: 2016/6/20 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I do not know where traffic ticket revenue goes, a few hours on Grand Street from the McDonalds eastward would be very lucrative and might prevent an injury or accident. The drivers pay no attention to the 25MPH signs and it difficult to get some of them to stop at crosswalks with lights. Intersection lights at Marin and Grand have this funky timing that allow eastbound cars on Gran to turn left on Marin... about 10 seconds later the pedestrian light to cross Marin walking west comes on. Not only do you have to watch cars that continue taking an illegal left turn with pedestrians in crosswalk, but you have to look over your shoulder to be sure you don't get hit from behind by a westbound Grand St car taking a right onto Marin.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

I've been guilty of missing new stop signs like this, until the road gets marked. Even then - it's easy to appreciate that new stop signs just don't register with drivers that frequently drive a route.

Spending a little money on beacons or blinking leds on the new stop signs would be worth it.

http://www.coralsales.com/images/imag ... 20Sign%20Beacon_large.jpg
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/ ... ds/blinking-stop-sign.jpg

Posted on: 2016/6/19 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
What's a "Turn Signal Stealer"? Is it when traffic has a green turn signal and pedestrians cross anyway?

You win a kewpie doll! A lot of left turn lights are damn short anyway, and between the pedestrians jaywalking and the moron drivers who won't even move till the car in front of them is fully through the light, you can sit there for ages.

TheJSQuare: it's interesting that that's the one intersection they like to stake out. Is it really 3 seconds for a stop? I thought it was just come to a complete stop. I know that R on Red you need to stop for the prescribed period, got nailed by the cams, but would rather have cams than the ridiculous light runners and gridlock.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 3:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Cops are too busy giving people tickets at Grove and 9th for not waiting at the stop sign a full three seconds.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

alastor wrote:
Once again, another accident on Jersey Avenue yesterday where drivers routinely speed, fail to yield, and endanger our community. The pedestrian signs help, but there are still many hostile and aggressive drivers who play chicken with people in crosswalks. Many of these drivers are not residents of Jersey City. WHEN WILL THE POLICE BEGIN TO MAKE A VISIBLE DEMONSTRATION OF FORCE TO DISCOURAGE THIS BEHAVIOR? I rarely see anyone ticketed in the downtown core for traffic violations, but I see plenty of police standing around road construction sites (OR NOT in the case of the recent 100-count indictment). Mayor Fulop needs to direct the Police to protect pedestrian lives by enforcing the law, which includes city and police vehicles stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks. The police themselves routinely break the law on patrol without emergency lights, so there is obviously little hope of them ticketing others for it.

I agree about the awful JC drivers, but must make a couple of points. However you may feel about the ridiculous requirement for them to be there, the cops at construction sites are off-duty and wouldn't be giving anyone tickets. And as bad as JC drivers are, the pedestrians give them a run for their money. Driving around Greenville yesterday numerous times I had to avoid a guy simply crossing JFK in the middle of heavy traffic, just wading in and assuming he wouldn't be hit. Never mind the "turn signal stealers" and other jaywalkers.

The one hope we had was traffic cams, but they got greedy and abused them till people had enough. Drivers know the odds of getting a ticket for failing to yield, running a stop, or going straight from a turn lane are virtually zero.

Posted on: 2016/6/18 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/18 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alastor wrote:
Once again, another accident on Jersey Avenue yesterday where drivers routinely speed, fail to yield, and endanger our community. The pedestrian signs help, but there are still many hostile and aggressive drivers who play chicken with people in crosswalks. Many of these drivers are not residents of Jersey City. WHEN WILL THE POLICE BEGIN TO MAKE A VISIBLE DEMONSTRATION OF FORCE TO DISCOURAGE THIS BEHAVIOR? I rarely see anyone ticketed in the downtown core for traffic violations, but I see plenty of police standing around road construction sites (OR NOT in the case of the recent 100-count indictment). Mayor Fulop needs to direct the Police to protect pedestrian lives by enforcing the law, which includes city and police vehicles stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks. The police themselves routinely break the law on patrol without emergency lights, so there is obviously little hope of them ticketing others for it.

I agree about the awful JC drivers, but must make a couple of points. However you may feel about the ridiculous requirement for them to be there, the cops at construction sites are off-duty and wouldn't be giving anyone tickets. And as bad as JC drivers are, the pedestrians give them a run for their money. Driving around Greenville yesterday numerous times I had to avoid a guy simply crossing JFK in the middle of heavy traffic, just wading in and assuming he wouldn't be hit. Never mind the "turn signal stealers" and other jaywalkers.

The one hope we had was traffic cams, but they got greedy and abused them till people had enough. Drivers know the odds of getting a ticket for failing to yield, running a stop, or going straight from a turn lane are virtually zero.

Posted on: 2016/6/18 16:38

Dangerous Driving, No Police Enforcement, Threat to Pedestrians
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/17 5:23
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/18 15:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017