Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 41 »

Re: Chris Christie 'Suspiciously Connected' To Revenge Traffic Jam
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
I'm saying that while it is possible that Trump can win, in order for him to win, he cannot make any mistake whatsoever. Everything has to work for him just right.

I'm saying that it is unlikely.

I do agree with you that the path to victory will be narrow, but the fact that so many states could be in play is a scenario that many/most Dems never even considered, assuming that a Trump candidacy was a long shot and, even once that became clearly a reality, they just assumed he would be too unpalatable to the general electorate. All of a sudden, they are waking up to the reality that this is not going to be a slam dunk. And, according to NBC, Trump and Hillary are now statistically tied. All signs point to a swing states turf war, and that will get interesting, and nasty.

Posted on: 2016/5/24 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
nah, trump is a scumbag.

Trump Goes For Hillary's Jugular: Releases Video Featuring Bill Clinton Rape Accusers
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-05 ... ill-clinton-rape-accusers

Posted on: 2016/5/24 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

PA (20)
OH (18)
FL (29)
VA(13)
MI(16)
--------

I see what you are saying, but I have a hard time imagining Trump winning MI and PA based on overwhelming white voters he would have to win on top of Romney won 4 years ago (Romney beat Obama pretty decisively for white voters).

So I think the most generous estimate for him would be (in my opinion) is this:

OH (18)
FL (29)
VA(13)
--------

D: 272 vs. R: 266

Sure, if you add NH(4), he can win. But wining OH, FL, VA AND NH all together seems to be a tall order.

You should re-read what I wrote... If Trump wins OH, PA and FL, he wins. He doesn't need NH (which I don't think would be in play, anyway) but getting VA (tough, but doable) and MI (also tough, but he has pull there) would just be icing on the cake.

PA is doable for the same reason he has done so well all along: there is a very strong/large subset of blue collar, working class voters who are angry, frustrated and deeply distrustful of the political establishment. That's a demographic and sentiments into which he has tapped and if they come out for him in droves, PA is very much in play. In fact, if Trump is smart enough, he would try to draft Tom Ridge as his VP candidate: that choice would likely play very well in PA and get him the state.

I see what you are saying, but how is he going to get more white blue collar working class voters without alienating suburban women?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/p ... mographic-trap/?tid=a_inl

He didn't bring in new white voters as Trump fans claim.

http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2016/05/17/295812/

(I'm not in habit of agreeing with RedState, so I take this with a grain of salt.)

Yes, I do agree that he may be able to win PA , but winning FL, OH and PA all together while defending ALL of the red states Romney's won four years ago, appears difficult. That's what I'm saying.

Also if you bring up PA, why not UT, AZ and GA? Recent polls show that they are competitive.

I'm saying that while it is possible that Trump can win, in order for him to win, he cannot make any mistake whatsoever. Everything has to work for him just right.

I'm saying that it is unlikely.

Posted on: 2016/5/24 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Answer me this - is Christie still eating Oreos?

Posted on: 2016/5/24 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

PA (20)
OH (18)
FL (29)
VA(13)
MI(16)
--------

I see what you are saying, but I have a hard time imagining Trump winning MI and PA based on overwhelming white voters he would have to win on top of Romney won 4 years ago (Romney beat Obama pretty decisively for white voters).

OH (18)
FL (29)
VA(13)
--------

Sure, if you add NH(4), he can win. But wining OH, FL, VA AND NH all together seems to be a tall order.

You should re-read what I wrote... If Trump wins OH, PA and FL, he wins. He doesn't need NH (which I don't think would be in play, anyway) but getting VA (tough, but doable) and MI (also tough, but he has pull there) would just be icing on the cake.

PA is doable for the same reason he has done so well all along: there is a very strong/large subset of blue collar, working class voters who are angry, frustrated and deeply distrustful of the political establishment. That's a demographic and sentiments into which he has tapped and if they come out for him in droves, PA is very much in play. In fact, if Trump is smart enough, he would try to draft Tom Ridge as his VP candidate: that choice would likely play very well in PA and get him the state.

Posted on: 2016/5/24 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

PA (20)
OH (18)
FL (29)
VA(13)
MI(16)
--------

OH (18)
FL (29)
VA(13)
--------

Posted on: 2016/5/23 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
I think Trump may swing Ohio if he recruits Kasich, the current governor there. That's 18 votes right there.

Yes, I agree. OH could turn red. But that's only 18 votes.

That's not nearly sufficient.

D: 332 vs. R: 206 (2012) --> D: 314 vs. R: 224 (2016)

Where else do you think Trump can win?

I just gave you five examples. If you take move the 49 votes from PA and FL, then things turn in Trump's favor 273 to 265. Since you are intent on basing this on the 2012 results, look at the map closely and it wouldn't take a lot for things to go in Trump's favor.

Okay, so do you think Trump has a chance of winning FL? If so, based on what?

Posted on: 2016/5/23 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
I think Trump may swing Ohio if he recruits Kasich, the current governor there. That's 18 votes right there.

I just gave you five examples. If you take move the 49 votes from PA and FL, then things turn in Trump's favor 273 to 265. Since you are intent on basing this on the 2012 results, look at the map closely and it wouldn't take a lot for things to go in Trump's favor.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/23 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
I have to admit that I had underestimated Trump's political talent. He is perhaps as talented as Hitler was (not saying he is the new Hitler, but Hitler wasn't the Hitler until he became one, right?)

Everyone in American Mainstream should be scared of the fact that he "can" win in theory. He may even get more votes.

But anyone who predicts an outcome or the other without referencing the electoral map, doesn't know what they are talking about.

I often hear from my racist coworkers that Clinton is so crooked and that Trump will win decisively.

But when I ask them which states he is going to win where Romney lost 4 years ago, they usually give me a blank facial expression--as if they have never thought about it.

Let's remind ourselves of the basic facts:

There are 18 states (and DC) that D has won consistently since 1992 (6 cycles). They are the bluest of the blue states, and their total electoral votes are 242. That's only 28 votes away from winning 270. (Florida has 29 electoral votes.) So if Clinton hangs onto the states where D usually wins, all she has to win is FL. It doesn't matter where else Trump wins.

If you add 3 states that D won 5 out of 6 elections (IA, NM and NH), the total is 257, which is only 13 votes away from 270.

On the other hand, there are only 13 states that R has won consistently during the same period. The total of their electoral votes are only 102. Even if you add 5 states that R has won 5 out of 6 elections, it only reaches 158 (99 less than that of D).

So just because there are two candidates, it doesn't mean that their chance of winning is 50-50. D has a huge advantage because many blue states have larger number of electoral votes.

http://www.270towin.com/

http://thehill.com/opinion/juan-willi ... -map-looks-grim-for-trump

So those who predict Trump's victory in November, please show me what the electoral map would look like when he does indeed win.

When my racist coworkers are confronted by this fact, they usually don't believe it and start to express racial resentment.

Agreed. Ohio is definitely in play regardless, but making Kasich the VP candidate would definitely clinch it. Kasich being picked could very well happen, if one was to believe the rumors. I believe PA will be in play as well. In fact, any state with large blue collar, working class populations with an industrial past will be in play due to Trump's talking points. BTW, I don't think it is at all valid to look at the results of 2012 electoral college and assume that is the baseline from which a Trump candidacy needs to start. Romney was a terrible Republican choice. I think we are looking at an election that will be decided based on how 3 to 5 states end up going: PA, OH and FL, plus maybe VA and MI. All of those states had VERY NARROW margins for Obama, except for Michigan, but given the demographics of that state, I do believe Trump will make it interesting.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
is christie still eating oreos.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 16:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
I have to admit that I had underestimated Trump's political talent. He is perhaps as talented as Hitler was (not saying he is the new Hitler, but Hitler wasn't the Hitler until he became one, right?)

Everyone in American Mainstream should be scared of the fact that he "can" win in theory. He may even get more votes.

But anyone who predicts an outcome or the other without referencing the electoral map, doesn't know what they are talking about.

I often hear from my racist coworkers that Clinton is so crooked and that Trump will win decisively.

But when I ask them which states he is going to win where Romney lost 4 years ago, they usually give me a blank facial expression--as if they have never thought about it.

There are 18 states (and DC) that D has won consistently since 1992 (6 cycles). They are the bluest of the blue states, and their total electoral votes are 242. That's only 28 votes away from winning 270. (Florida has 29 electoral votes.) So if Clinton hangs onto the states where D usually wins, all she has to win is FL. It doesn't matter where else Trump wins.

If you add 3 states that D won 5 out of 6 elections (IA, NM and NH), the total is 257, which is only 13 votes away from 270.

On the other hand, there are only 13 states that R has won consistently during the same period. The total of their electoral votes are only 102. Even if you add 5 states that R has won 5 out of 6 elections, it only reaches 158 (99 less than that of D).

So just because there are two candidates, it doesn't mean that their chance of winning is 50-50. D has a huge advantage because many blue states have larger number of electoral votes.

So those who predict Trump's victory in November, please show me what the electoral map would look like when he does indeed win.

When my racist coworkers are confronted by this fact, they usually don't believe it and start to express racial resentment.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Of course the election is all about the Electoral College. Who doesn't know that by now? But, your arbitrary date of 1992 paints a slanted view of recent history. You could just as easily move it back another 12 years to 1980 and end up with a different result: 9 election cycles, 5 won by 3 Republican candidates, with a combined 20 years in the White House, against 2 Democrat Presidents, with 16 years at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Anyone that underestimates Trump is making a huge mistake. This election will likely be very close. Hate him or love him, the guy is a shrewd nascent politician and he has obviously tapped into a lot of voter anger and frustration.

I don't think everyone knows that the presidential election is about wining 270 electoral votes. I think most people know that is about state by state electoral votes, but most people don't know the detail (for example, about the fact that there are total 538 electoral votes and that a candidate needs 270 to win). I mean how many people actually can visualize the electoral map of 2012 (Obama 332 (26 states+DC) vs. Romney 206 (24 states))? I think knowing the concept vaguely and knowing the detail are two different things.

About the method that I drew my conclusion though, it is true. If you go back to 1992, 6 cycles do give 4 wins for D and 2 wins for R. So in my method, I may be introducing a favorable trend for D. Thanks for pointing out.

But I wonder if going back further would yield necessarily more meaningful insight. Electoral map looked very different back then. Even CA turned Red in 1988 (Bush vs. Dukakis). But that's a quarter century ago. Would similar thing happen in this highly polarized country? I just have a hard time even entertaining the idea that people who voted for Obama 4 years ago, would vote for Trump.

But no matter how you look at this, I think that the question is still the same: If Trump is to win, he needs to turn some of blue states to red. So which state can he win back from blue to red?

So far, no one from Trump fan club has provided me with an answer that can withstand scrutiny. If someone says, "Trump can win NY", then I know I don't have to hear any further from that person.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Of course the election is all about the Electoral College. Who doesn't know that by now? But, your arbitrary date of 1992 paints a slanted view of recent history. You could just as easily move it back another 12 years to 1980 and end up with a different result: 9 election cycles, 5 won by 3 Republican candidates, with a combined 20 years in the White House, against 2 Democrat Presidents, with 16 years at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Anyone that underestimates Trump is making a huge mistake. This election will likely be very close. Hate him or love him, the guy is a shrewd nascent politician and he has obviously tapped into a lot of voter anger and frustration.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Your post does an excellent job illustrating why no one cares (except looney "progressives") if you throw around the racist word. You've diluted the word so it's lost all meaning.

People see it for what it is: a political cudgel, designed to get Democrats into office and keep them there. Keep throwing your silly buzzwords around, but don't be too surprised when they are utterly ineffective.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
I have to admit that I had underestimated Trump's political talent. He is perhaps as talented as Hitler...

You may be confusing ?talent? for a neurotic tendency to say and do absurd, irrational things with absolute confidence.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/23 14:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/1 1:16
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Well the lawyer for "John Doe", her name is Jenny Kramer.

Her bio may just give away who her client is....perhaps her old boss Chris Christie?

Assistant United States Attorney, Criminal Division, United States Attorney?s Office for the District of New Jersey, 2005-2015

Posted on: 2016/5/23 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Hillary has stonewalled all requests for info and has been able to get away with it starting with Benghazi. Emails aside I'd like to know the content of her speeches for which she was paid $21 million dollars. Do you think she really told the big banks and foreign govts she planned to come after them if elected?
well, perhaps Hillary won't go after banks like Obama, but we already know that liar trump will give them the farm for peanuts. You think bag was reckless, I shudder to think about "the government can just print money" trump.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 8:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If trump gets the gong as president, I'm immediately buying shares in armament manufactures and enquire to migrate to new zealand or australia.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/5/23 7:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Hillary has stonewalled all requests for info and has been able to get away with it starting with Benghazi. Emails aside I'd like to know the content of her speeches for which she was paid $21 million dollars. Do you think she really told the big banks and foreign govts she planned to come after them if elected?

Posted on: 2016/5/23 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i read two interesting articles about mr. trump today. the economist wrote that he routinely underpaid small businesses for work they did for him; it's called the trump discount. the financial times reported that mr. trump made disparaging remarks about native americans in an effort to protect his atlantic city casinos; the article also pointed out that he overspend on construction of these casinos and that they filed chapter 11.

how is trump a proven, successful businessperson?

Well, he took a loan of a couple million from his father and turned it into billions of dollars. Very successful.

I'm not surprised that you read "interesting" articles about Mr. Trump. The mass media is out to get him at every turn.

If Hillary was a Republican, the media would be giving us daily reminders that she was under an FBI investigation. Think the Christie Bridgegate coverage only 10x worse, since what Hillary did actually was a huge deal.

Trump's business record is not impressive at all. If he invested his inheritance in index funds instead, he'd have approximately 10 billion more (double the performance), with far less risk.

This is your leader?

http://www.moneytalksnews.com/why-you ... esting-than-donald-trump/

Sorry, you tend to make thoughtful posts, but you just posted a moronic one. Whenever I see someone try to make this point, it exposes them as being utterly ignorant.

First of all, the talking point is that he'd be worth more he has now, but not $20 billion. That's just laughably inaccurate.

More importantly, that BS stat assumes he would never spend a penny, would fire everyone who worked for his company, and would just invest everything. In other words, he wouldn't have created jobs for tens of thousands of people, nor would he have been able to enjoy any of his money for decades.

In looney liberal land this might be the mark of success, but not in the real world.

Even PolitiFact, a partisan "fact checker" that is operated by the Tampa Bay Times which endorses Hillary, has said your claim is full of it.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/ ... e-investment-trumps-fath/

Posted on: 2016/5/23 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Most Republicans going for Trump are silly hypocrites Trump is nothing more than an Orange liberal from New York.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I'd take Trump over Hillary in a heartbeat. Just the barely reported scandal of the Clinton Foundation's involvement with the sell off of the majority of US uranium assets to Russian interests should disqualify her. Watch Trump finally break through the media lack of interest on this in the campaign.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i read two interesting articles about mr. trump today. the economist wrote that he routinely underpaid small businesses for work they did for him; it's called the trump discount. the financial times reported that mr. trump made disparaging remarks about native americans in an effort to protect his atlantic city casinos; the article also pointed out that he overspend on construction of these casinos and that they filed chapter 11.

Well, he took a loan of a couple million from his father and turned it into billions of dollars. Very successful.

I'm not surprised that you read "interesting" articles about Mr. Trump. The mass media is out to get him at every turn.

If Hillary was a Republican, the media would be giving us daily reminders that she was under an FBI investigation. Think the Christie Bridgegate coverage only 10x worse, since what Hillary did actually was a huge deal.

Trump's business record is not impressive at all. If he invested his inheritance in index funds instead, he'd have approximately 10 billion more (double the performance), with far less risk.

This is your leader?

http://www.moneytalksnews.com/why-you ... esting-than-donald-trump/

Posted on: 2016/5/23 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Just because someone is a successful businessperson does not mean they are qualified to be a politician.

It's a crapshoot-some, like Corzine are disasters; others, like Bloomberg can turn out somewhat decent.
true...but i'm roflmfao if anyone thinks trump gives a rat's ass about working class folk.

Posted on: 2016/5/22 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Just because someone is a successful businessperson does not mean they are qualified to be a politician.

It's a crapshoot-some, like Corzine are disasters; others, like Bloomberg can turn out somewhat decent.

Posted on: 2016/5/22 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/22 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/21 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/20 23:32

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 41 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017