Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Spectra Gas Pipeline -- (like the one Downtown) -- Explosion Cuts Flows to Eastern U.S.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Got word today that ConEd is looking for proposals to reduce natural gas demand. Based on their estimates, current gas pipeline capacity will be exceeded between 2023 to 2025. This is due to electric to gas conversions and the gradual phase out of ConEd district steam.

I think the hope is to reduce demand long enough to give more time to build additional pipeline capacity to NYC.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 0:42

Re: Spectra Gas Pipeline -- (like the one Downtown) -- Explosion Cuts Flows to Eastern U.S.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/11/1 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
More people in the USA die from pipeline hazards than "radical islamic terrorism" ? This is sad and true; so lets call building pipelines DOMESTIC TERRORISM

T-Bird - the scaremongering political party is the NEO CONSERVATIVE party and Hillary Clinton will be the new leader when she is president. I know this because the other known Neo Conservatives such as Lindsay Graham, John McCain, and George Bush all support Clinton!

Posted on: 2016/11/1 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Since we are making sure people understand...

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Oh, good grief

You do know that before the Spectra lines were put in, there were already large lines in JC? That those lines were aging, and replaced with the new lines? No - the project was to install a new line large pipeline (36" in diameter, there were no other lines near this size prior to Spectra) that is intended to serve NYC. Any replacement infrastructure that resulted from this project was minimal and ancillary.

You do know that there are gas lines running down every street in JC? Including right to your house? Those are local distribution lines - typically anywhere from a couple of inches to 8" in diameter and low compression. The Spectra line is a very high compression line - meaning it not only carries more gas because of its much larger diameter but that the gas is compressed in a way that adds considerably to higher volumes. The line can carry 800 million cubic feet per day, a little over 1% of the gas consumed in the US. If there are 315 million or so people, simple math would say the Spectra line could serve more than 3 million people (which it does - in NYC.) With a population of 270,000 or so, Jersey City doesn't have many streets with 3 million people living on them.

You do understand that just because a few workers in Alabama punctured a major gas line and caused an explosion, that does not guarantee that every single mile of pipeline will inevitably explode? While an isolated incident in a remote part of the line shouldn't affect other, distant parts, that pipeline isn't a "gas" pipeline (natural gas) - it's a refined products line. Refined products are not as volatile as natural gas.

You do understand that you are 25 times more likely to die from meningitis than from a pipeline explosion? You are more likely to die from a pipeline explosion in the US than Ebola and that didn't prevent people from wetting themselves over that, did it? (Hello Gov. Christie?) In fact, depending on the year, you are more likely to die from a pipeline explosion in the US that from "radical islamic terrorism" and yet we spend trillions on that...

You do understand that scaremongering does not result in encouraging proper oversight? See previous answer. Scaremongering is actually quite effective. In fact, there is an entire political party whose very existence is based on it.

Posted on: 2016/11/1 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Pipeline explosion in Shelby, Alabama kills one and injures several others.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/ind ... as_line_explosion_se.html

I wonder how many of these pipelines that explode every year were the safest pipelines ever built. I wonder how long it will be until Jersey City is on fire.

Oh, good grief

You do know that before the Spectra lines were put in, there were already large lines in JC? That those lines were aging, and replaced with the new lines?

You do know that there are gas lines running down every street in JC? Including right to your house?

You do understand that just because a few workers in Alabama punctured a major gas line and caused an explosion, that does not guarantee that every single mile of pipeline will inevitably explode?

You do understand that you are 25 times more likely to die from meningitis than from a pipeline explosion?

You do understand that scaremongering does not result in encouraging proper oversight?

Posted on: 2016/11/1 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of small points - the Colonial pipeline is not owned by Spectra. By throwing it into this thread, the impression is that it's a Spectra line. Also, the Spectra/Jersey City pipeline is a natural gas line. Colonial is a refined (oil) products pipeline, including gasoline which likely accounts for the confusion.

Those minor details aside - I agree with you, Score09.

Posted on: 2016/11/1 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

I wonder how many of these pipelines that explode every year were the safest pipelines ever built. I wonder how long it will be until Jersey City is on fire.

I grew up in a little suburb of New York. Several years ago, this contractor was starting to dig in a lot near our house. My Pop was driving by, saw him working and tried to tell him to stop - he was right on top of one of those gas pipelines that ran through the town. The guy told my dad to go f*ck himself. My dad called the cops.

A few weeks later, my dad gets a big ceremony and plaque at City Hall. If he hadn't driven by at that exact moment and intervened, that town would not exist today. #Safestpipelineeverbuilt

Posted on: 2016/11/1 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/11/1 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Devil in the details, no?

No more Boycott Divestment and Sanction? Aw schucks, such a pitiful lot.

Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 4:35

Edited by score09 on 2016/5/5 4:50:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

limak116 wrote:
I'd like to note that a pipeline that is in the middle of nowhere like the one that blew up is treated MUCH less stringently than one that is in a populated area like Jersey City. There are MUCH stricter regulations, inspection requirements, etc that come with being able to have a pipeline go through a populated area.

OK, so noted.

But please, are you kidding me? Corporate capitalists have been circumventing regulations en masse for decades now. Whether by way of bribery, lobbying or propaganda, if there is an economic incentive in play, the corporatistas will always find a way to put the public's safety at risk in order to maximize profits. It's what you get with neoliberalism and the "free market" ideologues who espouse capitalism as being somehow (lol) "virtuous."

I'm reminded of a certain disaster in Bhopal, India circa 1984. Or of an oil spill involving an Exxon Valdez. Or, more recently, of a BP offshore rig in the Gulf of Mexico.

No industry is profitable if environmental costs are taken into account

We're going to burn this house down, the revolution in nigh!

Posted on: 2016/4/30 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Pipeline fires have happened in NJ in populated areas.

http://www.fireengineering.com/articl ... s-pipeline-explosion.html

Posted on: 2016/4/29 22:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/20 17:25
From Jersey city nj 07302
Group:
Banned
I never see anyone patrolling or inspecting the area where the pipeline runs - incidentally within stones throw of a playground and elementary school.

Posted on: 2016/4/29 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

limak116 wrote:
I'd like to note that a pipeline that is in the middle of nowhere like the one that blew up is treated MUCH less stringently than one that is in a populated area like Jersey City. There are MUCH stricter regulations, inspection requirements, etc that come with being able to have a pipeline go through a populated area.

Given how often they blow, that is not a hell of a consolation.

Posted on: 2016/4/29 20:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/18 19:32
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/29 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/29 18:40

Spectra Gas Pipeline -- (like the one Downtown) -- Explosion Cuts Flows to Eastern U.S.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Spectra Gas Pipeline Explosion Cuts Flows to Eastern U.S.

April 29, 2016

Blast occurred on 36-inch Texas Eastern line, state says
Company declares force majeure, unsure of timing for repairs

An explosion and fire on a major Spectra Energy Corp. pipeline that crosses half the U.S. is disrupting natural gas shipments from western Pennsylvania to the Northeast.
Crews shut off the gas feeding the flames, which burst out of Spectra?s 36-inch Texas Eastern pipeline in Salem Township at about 8:30 a.m., John Poister, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, said in an e-mail.

While repairs will start as soon as possible, it?s unclear when service will be restored, Spectra said in a notice. The company declared force majeure at midday, sending natural gas futures surging as much as 5.6 percent on the New York Mercantile Exchange on speculation that the outage will limit supplies to the Northeast.

One of the country?s largest pipelines, Texas Eastern runs from the Gulf Coast up through the booming Marcellus and Utica shale regions all the way to New Jersey, where it hooks up with other lines into New York and New England. The Penn-Jersey section had been transporting 1.3 billion cubic feet of gas a day through the Delmont compressor in Westmoreland County, according to Het Shah, an analyst at Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

Posted on: 2016/4/29 18:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017