Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: $20M apartment building completed in Jersey City's Bergen-Lafayette section
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Suydam ain't Ocean Avenue-but it's not Newport either, that's all.

Posted on: 2016/5/1 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
To be fair we have to note that their was a gal murdered on Monitor last month, and a robbery/shooting took place last fall in the Johnston/Monitor area-and a guy was whacked a few steps away from Pacific Flea a year or so ago, and a car was shot up outside NuBar as well.

To be in even fairer all you have mention has also happened in various spots... What's your point?

Long Island City

Williamsburg Brooklyn
The Lower East Side
The West Village
Downtown Jersey City

Fear is a state of mind... You can be scared and miss out or live...

Happy Weekend!

Posted on: 2016/4/30 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To be fair we have to note that their was a gal murdered on Monitor last month, and a robbery/shooting took place last fall in the Johnston/Monitor area-and a guy was whacked a few steps away from Pacific Flea a year or so ago, and a car was shot up outside NuBar as well.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
shrug, yes it is just my "o?pin?ion".

I took the lightrail pass the foundry stop for many years, and except during rush hours where the people get to the parking, the area does not look safe. Also drove to liberty state park through that area many times, especially during the summer, there are always gangbanger types hanging out on street blocks.

To each of his own, i grow up in jamaica queens and went to school there which was a rough neighborhoods back then, got 15 yearolds walking around with flip blades as common as kids carrying cellphones nowdays. So i have some context, and that area is not safe in my "o?pin?ion". You are of course free to disagree with, and run around there at 2am to prove i am wrong, i could careless heh.

At least you are honest to admit to never having actually stepped foot in the area. My suggestion for going to Pacific Flea still stands. It'll be eye opening for you. You might actually learn something and have fun in the process...

Posted on: 2016/4/29 13:52
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Wow... I should raise rents then. I am charging under $1,300 for a 2 bedroom with central A/C and parking..... if ONLY I could get a tenant to move.

I cut rents a lot back in 2009 to stop the turnover during the recession. Now nobody is moving.

It's a little startling what's going on. We raised a Heights 3BR (with 2 of them barely legal size) 1Bath with a patio and shared yard from $1290 to $1750, and the decade in residence leaving tenants found the new ones for me! Didn't lose a month and he had even painted. But I've found the Heights more seasonally sensitive than DT.

It's hard to avoid "old fart landlord syndrome" and not keep the rents up to market. I remember looking at a place Downtown around 2000 and it was seriously undermarket. It would only sell to someone willing to be a huge asshole and double the rents ASAP. I passed after I saw a ceiling light installed with lamp cord buried in the plaster.

Posted on: 2016/4/29 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
LMAO so you never been in the area. I can't, and I won't... girl bye!

Posted on: 2016/4/28 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
shrug, yes it is just my "o?pin?ion".

I took the lightrail pass the foundry stop for many years, and except during rush hours where the people get to the parking, the area does not look safe. Also drove to liberty state park through that area many times, especially during the summer, there are always gangbanger types hanging out on street blocks.

To each of his own, i grow up in jamaica queens and went to school there which was a rough neighborhoods back then, got 15 yearolds walking around with flip blades as common as kids carrying cellphones nowdays. So i have some context, and that area is not safe in my "o?pin?ion". You are of course free to disagree with, and run around there at 2am to prove i am wrong, i could careless heh.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
I guess as a renter it doesnt matter as much, i just dont understand why anyone will live in that area which is still unsafe (you can argue until blue in the face, but it's true), and isnt very walkable.

If Yvonne wrote that, I'd just say, "Well, yeah, she's stupid. Why would you expect anything but stupid comments?"

I spent last weekend a block away from there just hanging outside and walking home at 2 in the morning. The concept that the area is some sort of danger is only in your mind because you haven't actually visited there. I suggest taking a trip out to Pacific Flea to see for yourself the type of area that is there. Once there, look at those at PacFlea and realize that the majority live nearby and walked there... You can report back how much danger your life was in.

Agreed: I lived in the Foundry for a LONG time, and never felt in danger or afraid of the neighborhood. In all my time there, I may have hear one shot in the middle of the night, and tbh I am not sure it was an actual gunshot. Most people I met walking the streets of the neighborhood were good, honest working class people who had been around a long time. The biggest issue I had was actually related to people from outside the neighborhood that would park like assholes all around the immediate area, then walk to the light rail to go to work, or out for the night, and would often come back late at night drunk and being loud, only to jump in their cars and take off like madmen. I am surprised we didn't have more incidents of cars being sideswiped or crashed.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Are condos in converted brownstones / brick buildings unheard of in this area communipaw east of pacific ?

No, the conversion of the All Saints church school is just about done-and sold out, on Whiton Street.

...soon to become Kool & The Gang Way!

That's awesome!! I can just imagine the chuckles and puzzled looks one would get when giving out that as your address. Cool way to honor the group, btw.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
I guess as a renter it doesnt matter as much, i just dont understand why anyone will live in that area which is still unsafe (you can argue until blue in the face, but it's true), and isnt very walkable.

If Yvonne wrote that, I'd just say, "Well, yeah, she's stupid. Why would you expect anything but stupid comments?"

I spent last weekend a block away from there just hanging outside and walking home at 2 in the morning. The concept that the area is some sort of danger is only in your mind because you haven't actually visited there. I suggest taking a trip out to Pacific Flea to see for yourself the type of area that is there. Once there, look at those at PacFlea and realize that the majority live nearby and walked there... You can report back how much danger your life was in.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 18:45
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
You don't start a project like this without getting a market study.

The market is very hot right now, so you can build and rent anything. But during a recession / downturn which will come, those units / neighborhoods will be the first to suffer - just look at foundry, beacon, m65 lofts etc.. they were corpses during the 08 downturn that only came back as zombies recently given how overheated everything is. Some still havent even close to recoup the cost from the downturn.

o?pin?ion
??piny?n
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

20,000 people live in BL area, and it scored of 73 for walk-ability.. you just might be trolling. I love the area! Congrats.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

The market is very hot right now, so you can build and rent anything. But during a recession / downturn which will come, those units / neighborhoods will be the first to suffer - just look at foundry, beacon, m65 lofts etc.. they were corpses during the 08 downturn that only came back as zombies recently given how overheated everything is. Some still havent even close to recoup the cost from the downturn.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Are condos in converted brownstones / brick buildings unheard of in this area communipaw east of pacific ?

No, the conversion of the All Saints church school is just about done-and sold out, on Whiton Street.

...soon to become Kool & The Gang Way!

Posted on: 2016/4/28 17:45
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/28 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/28 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/28 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
who the heck will pay $1600 for a 1br in this shthole? might as well just move to bayonne which is a few lightrail stops away for the same rent, then at least it's safe and has ok supermarkets/daily shopping

I've never understood comments like this. Obviously the developer has done some market research and feels $1,600 is an appropriate starting point. A lot of smart people have invested a lot of money based on assumptions that are not too far from the $1,600.

To me, it's a sign of the neighborhood is improving. I suppose the developer could be outright wrong and this development goes belly-up, but I swear some of you folks almost wish it. Why? It's like any progress outside downtown is written off by some as a bad investment. It's an ignorant, self-important view of the world.

To Point Capital Development, thank you for improving our city. I hope this development is a wild success, and is the first of many in this area of town.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Kind of steep for that neighborhood. Though I do concede BL has improved greatly since from when I first moved to Hudson county.

How high of a monthly rent rate will Section 8 cover?

I think the rent price is also a means by which to drive a certain type of tenant, translate that as not Section 8, to the market as well. Those that want in on the Foundry but can't now have another option.

For the person that said move to Bayonne... that is certainly an option, but then you're sitting on the Lightrail for an added 30 minutes. How much is your time worth to you?

Posted on: 2016/4/28 13:35
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
MDM, comp rents are higher in lafayette then most parts of the heights. Plus your building has vinyl siding :(

Posted on: 2016/4/28 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Wow... I should raise rents then. I am charging under $1,300 for a 2 bedroom with central A/C and parking..... if ONLY I could get a tenant to move.

I cut rents a lot back in 2009 to stop the turnover during the recession. Now nobody is moving.

What User1111 said: the Foundry is across from the entrance (other end) of Suydam Ave (300 Communipaw) and the rents for 1 bedroom are about the same, with 2-bedrooms going for 2K to 2.2K, so the rents are definitely in the same range.

In fact, given this is much newer construction, and what looks like more modern finishes, you could argue the rents are actually a bit low.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/27 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
$1600 is not high for that area, I know people who are paying $1300 for a one bedroom that is not renovated on OCEAN, Jersey City is not cheap anymore not even up the hill.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Kind of steep for that neighborhood. Though I do concede BL has improved greatly since from when I first moved to Hudson county.

How high of a monthly rent rate will Section 8 cover?

Posted on: 2016/4/27 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
who the heck will pay $1600 for a 1br in this shthole? might as well just move to bayonne which is a few lightrail stops away for the same rent, then at least it's safe and has ok supermarkets/daily shopping

My dad said the same thing when i said I was moving to Grove street back in 1993 but he was old ass man... he did not know any better.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/27 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Great news! Hopefully first of many.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 22:12

$20M apartment building completed in Jersey City's Bergen-Lafayette section
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Mak Ojutiku | The Jersey Journal

A ribbon cutting ceremony this morning celebrated the completion of one of the first major residential developments in the Bergen-Lafayette section of Jersey City in recent memory.

The ribbon cutting for the 100,000-square-foot apartment complex -- The Baker Building at 234 Suydam Ave. -- was held 11 months and 11 days after construction began. A number of city officials, including Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, were on hand to mark the occasion.

Resized Image

John Fio Rito, the owner of Point Capital Development, which developed the project, said his building's units will run from $1,600 per month for a one-bedroom apartment to $2,400 for a three-bedroom unit, which he says is less costly than similar apartments in other areas of the city.

"You can go one stop away on the Light Rail and be in Jersey Avenue and pay 2,400 for a one-bedroom," said Fio Rito. "So I think we offer a huge value proposition for people."

More

Posted on: 2016/4/27 22:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017