Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Best BYOB places in Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I've seen even very high end (read: expensive) restaurants in the city allow you to bring your own champagne even though they serve the same or similar champagne, for a corkage fee (shouldn't it be an 'uncorking fee'?) For example if only the '96 Dom will do but La Sirena only has the current year. Heaven forfend!

I find that hard to believe. It's no different than bringing in a coke to a restaurant that serves coke. It happened in my restaurant occasionally and it pissed me off, though I didn't say anything. Is it any different than bringing in food and ordering a drink? And yes, I've had people bring in food. I didn't allow that though.

$25 is the typical corkage fee, at least in Manhattan. Some restaurants charge less, more or nothing, but that is not the norm. The logic behind it is you're depriving the restaurant of sales as well requiring them to do extra work - open the bottle and provide/clean glasses.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

acynth18 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Good topic, and one that is often full of incorrect information.

BYOB in NJ has some quirks, some good, some odd, some bad.

The one great quirk: no corkage fee! A restaurant that allows BYOB CAN NOT legally impose a corkage fee, or any other fee related to the BYOB privilege. So, no cover fee, no service fee, no fee at all.

The odd quirks: State law permits only wine and malt alcoholic beverages (beer) to be consumed. That means you are not allowed to bring in distilled alcohol, so rum, vodka, gin, whiskey, etc. Another odd quirk, even if a restaurant allows BYOB (see next paragraph) they can NOT advertise their policy. So, strictly speaking, the only way to know if a restaurant is BYOB is to inquire, or to find out from someone else.

Bad quirks: BYOB is not universally available across the state. In other words, even though state law allows it, it is up to each locality to legally allow it. Even a city allows it, it is up to each restaurant to decide whether to allow their patrons to BYOB.

Is this definitely true? My boyfriend and I were planning to go to Satis for dinner Friday night so I looked @ the menu online and it says there is a $25 corkage fee which I found pretty steep. They also have a full bar so I was a little confused about what was going on. If they are byob still I would love it if it's against the law to charge a corkage fee-make my dinner bill a lot cheaper!

I've seen even very high end (read: expensive) restaurants in the city allow you to bring your own champagne even though they serve the same or similar champagne, for a corkage fee (shouldn't it be an 'uncorking fee'?) For example if only the '96 Dom will do but La Sirena only has the current year. Heaven forfend!

Some restaurants in NYC will definitely allow you to bring your own bottle, but I have never seen one that allows you to bring something they carry. In fact, many will explicitly state that in their menus and websites: that they will accommodate a patron's desire to bring their own bottle, for a fee, but with the caveat that it must a bottle they do not carry. It seems like a fair policy to me.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 21:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

acynth18 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

The one great quirk: no corkage fee! A restaurant that allows BYOB CAN NOT legally impose a corkage fee, or any other fee related to the BYOB privilege. So, no cover fee, no service fee, no fee at all.

The odd quirks: State law permits only wine and malt alcoholic beverages (beer) to be consumed. That means you are not allowed to bring in distilled alcohol, so rum, vodka, gin, whiskey, etc. Another odd quirk, even if a restaurant allows BYOB (see next paragraph) they can NOT advertise their policy. So, strictly speaking, the only way to know if a restaurant is BYOB is to inquire, or to find out from someone else.

Bad quirks: BYOB is not universally available across the state. In other words, even though state law allows it, it is up to each locality to legally allow it. Even a city allows it, it is up to each restaurant to decide whether to allow their patrons to BYOB.

Is this definitely true? My boyfriend and I were planning to go to Satis for dinner Friday night so I looked @ the menu online and it says there is a $25 corkage fee which I found pretty steep. They also have a full bar so I was a little confused about what was going on. If they are byob still I would love it if it's against the law to charge a corkage fee-make my dinner bill a lot cheaper!

Posted on: 2016/4/19 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

acynth18 wrote:

What's confusing you? If they have a full bar they're not BYOB, hence the corkage fee since you're not buying their booze.

It's exactly what brewster explained: a restaurant that allows you to BYOB but actually possesses a liquor license can charge a corkage fee. I see that my original post was not entirely clear in that regard. An establishment is NOT allowed to charge any sort of fees related to BYOB *if* they don't have a liquor license. Those that do have a liquor license can allow you (at their discretion) to BYOB, but they are allowed to charge you a fee.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

acynth18 wrote:

What's confusing you? If they have a full bar they're not BYOB, hence the corkage fee since you're not buying their booze.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 17:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/3 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/19 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Rumi's Turkish Grill
Blue Lotus
Max's Fried Chicken (bring San Miguel Beer)
Burger Eatery
Short Grain
Morgan Fish Market
Okinawa Sushi and Satay Malaysian(just over the border in Hoboken)

Also most of the Indian restaurants in Little India is BYO

Posted on: 2016/4/18 18:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Great info for those uninitiated. I like that Ahri's is byo and there's a liquor store across the street; Madame Claude is also byo and has a liquor store half a block down.
Didn't know Dolma was byo, thanks for the info!

Posted on: 2016/4/17 21:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:44
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
miso ramen is byob

Posted on: 2016/4/15 17:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 16:51
Group:
Registered Users
Pasta dal Cuore

Posted on: 2016/4/15 16:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/22 16:07
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone for the good suggestions.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As for DTJC places that allow patrons to BYOB, most have already been mentioned. Unless something has changed recently, Abbondanza is BYOB. I have a soft spot for that place; it's the little restaurant that could. They were years delayed (surely more BD shenanigans) and it was off to a slow start, but they have found their legs, and they really go out of their way to make each patron welcomed, so I try to give them business every now and then, and the BYOB is always appreciated. Also, their pizza is really great. ;)

I find Presto's super annoying and stopped going years ago. They were always crowded, do not accept reservations (or, maybe they do now) and it used to irk me that they charge for bread (I know, it's stupid, since it is only $1, but I find it odd and annoying that an Italian restaurant would charge for bread) so I just wrote it off.

As someone else mentioned Madame Claude is BYOB (for now) and their food is good. I only wish they would have a more seasonal menu. I swear their menu has been the same over the past 10 years.

ME Casa is also great. Better than your average down-home Puerto Rican restaurant, with a cool back story, and they are ALWAYS friendly and welcoming. I wish I would go there more often.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/15 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I?ll be the unsophisticated JC old-timer (that I am) and ask?..What can you bring into a BYOB restaurant? I will admit I think it is just wine (B = bottle). My hang outs Applebee?s, Houlihan?s , and Cheeseburger in Paradise have my Coor?s Lite on tap so no need to brown bag it in.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 14:15

Edited by neverleft on 2016/4/15 14:42:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Kraverie
Just BeClaws
Ahris

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Roman Nose is not BYOB anymore, hasn't been for a while.

I hear Madame Claude's may have a liquor license and not going to be BYOB anymore when it reopens up at White Eagle. Just triple-hearsay neighborhood chatter at this point.

Cafe Battata (in the old Lamp Post space) is BYOB and Me Casa was last time I was there a few months ago.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Madame Claude.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Try Prestos. It's been around forever.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:29

Best BYOB places in Downtown JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/22 16:07
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Besides Dolma, Broa and Roman Nose, can anyone suggest some good BYOB places in Downtown JC? (and any corking fees if applicable)

Also, if there are some suggestions for any amazing places in Journal Sq, I'd be open to those, too.

Sorry if this was already discussed recently, but it's tough to keep up since many of the good BYOB places in the last couple years have obtained liquor licenses (i.e. Honshu)

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/4/15 13:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017